What would make you switch to Linux?

What would make you switch to Linux?

Attached: 1564866505934.png (220x261, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lutris.net/
protondb.com/
protondb.com/app/39210
steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1602634609636894200
linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-and-use-steam-play-on-linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nothing, I already installed gentoo

better proprietary support

Video games support.

If Linux had only 1 main distro

lutris.net/
protondb.com/
Try these sites,linux ga(y)ming is great and getting better,runs almost all of my stuff great.

I only play FFXIV

Literally the only thing Linux needs is driver support. If it wasn't for nvidia needing to be reverse engineered then everything would run far more smoothly. Also many distros like some hardware and don't like others. Until this issue is fixed the only real solution is dual boot, which itself is an added hastle and more to think about

Well you said just gaming so i thought you meant in general,in general linux is great for gaming.
Also here,
protondb.com/app/39210

Superbowl ad

Lutris is just a hack solution to a problem: Outside of Proton/Steam, the out-of-box support for games is still shit.

>Magic Arena breaks whenever an update happens
>On cue. Every fucking time.
>Have to reinstall through Lutris
>Meanwhile in Windows? Just works, because the updates aren't broken by whatever the fuck WINE and Proton are missing.

Nothing, it is already the best option for an operating system.

GAYMES

Attached: SoyFace.png (53x38, 2K)

No software support for Windows 7.

I already use Linux

Deciding to become an ethical hacker has made me 100 percent switch to linux for it.
I still run windows 10 for gaming but that's about it, and for MadVR and media player classic

They have to reverse engineer it all with very little to go off of,and i still find it surprising how well it works for that.

Sure, but that doesn't negate what I said: The out of box experience for anything non-Steam is shit. Yes, you can use Proton outside of Steam (#ThankYouValve) but nobody, last I checked, is doing that.

Like, I want Linux to succeed, but it's not going to do that if I can't download the client off something that isn't Steam, install it, and have it run with little/no-issue, especially as games turn into "Games as a Service" where updates are going to be constant.

I wish Valve would put more money into the WINE project in addition to Proton/DXVK. I mean they have the money from Steamfags, so they should just bite the bullet.

Then this is some good news
steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1602634609636894200

>steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1602634609636894200
Yeah, I knew of that.

But in any case, another problem besides outside-Steam support being shit is that anti-cheat for multiplayer is fucked. I want to play Bad Company 2 (which is sold on Steam) online, but can't due to Punkbuster (*spit*) and/or other anti-cheat being used.

It's a mess. If you only play like dating sims, or single-player RPG's Proton is fine and doing ok (but not for all: Garou Mark of the Wolves flat out refuses to work under Proton last time I tried it), but multiplayer and outside Steam is still an issue. So I'd say the experience has gotten better, but not to the point where I'd say "you should switch to Linux" about it.

Also they are the 1. Distributor of digital games... Period beating everything else from GOG to sony so they are pretty busy.

Of course if its just gaming then no you shouldnt switch....yet.

Literally just this. More people would use Linux if they could get muh Photoshop or muh Word, or actually decent video editing software

Windows 10

>More people would use Linux if they could get muh Photoshop or muh Word, or actually decent video editing software
No, they wouldn't.
Photoshop is used by a tiny minority of people, who mostly use macos anyway.
I sincerely believe that not a single person has not switched to Linux because of a lack of Photoshop and that the people who cry about it are literally just concerntrolling.

Word is literally useless software, use Google docs or office 365.

Running only one OS is for boomers too stupid to understand tech. Choose a host for each of your PCs then add guest virtual machines. Fast, easy, free, no problem.

Already have. Almost all of my computers are Linux computers now.

Updated a bunch of shit and my Windows 10 VM started locking up so I stopped using it and tried out proton on steam.

Yeah no more win10 for now for me.

Native MS Office. I used Linux when I was just a programmer but now I'm a project lead and I spend more time writing documents than code.

A distro backed by an actual company that is not buggier than Windows 10.

>I'm a project lead and I spend more time writing documents than code.
Use LaTeX

>Native MS Office.
Use office 365 or Google docs.

Or some non garbage way of typesetting documents.

Just muh gaymes. It's really great all the work Steam is doing, plus stuff like Looking Glass too. But with an SSD it literally takes 15-20 seconds to switch OS so dual booting is still the best option. I try to make it a point to treat Windows like a console.

windows 10

What is Proton though?
Is it a program I need to install through linux terminal? And once it's downloaded I can just click on game shortcut icon and it just werksz like it would in windows?

>webapp cancer
No thanks

I do more than word. I need Excel and Powerpoint too.

It comes with Steam and is used for non-native games.
And then yes, for many games it makes you forget the game is non-native.

>What is Proton though?
A wine fork integrated into steam which provides an easy way for many games to run under Linux.

>Is it a program I need to install through linux terminal?
No, it should be handled by steam itself.

>And once it's downloaded I can just click on game shortcut icon and it just werksz like it would in windows?
If it's a steak game you can look at how well it is supported and there is a decent chance for it to work.

if there was such thing as a good linux distro

Compatibility layer built into the linux version of steam
linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-and-use-steam-play-on-linux (link on how to enable it)

Proper nvidia drivers and an equivalent to dwm in performance and responsiveness.

>Word is literally useless software, use Google docs or office 365.
>Let me use this online required piece of software over this local-ran software!
>What do you mean there's a problem?
user... that's ignoring their point.

>Photoshop is used by a tiny minority of people, who mostly use macos anyway.
If you think so, ok. But the reality is Photoshop was heavily pirated even on Windows. Which is why they turned it into cloud-bullshit software.

>user... that's ignoring their point.
I don't think so.
Because that is what I always did, at least the one time I "needed" to use Office.

>But the reality is Photoshop was heavily pirated even on Windows.
Why? What are these people doing with it?
It's software for professionals.

Yes, I know. Which doesn't negate the point: They should be helping folks get their games (Steam AND non-Steam) running on the OS/Linux they're (well, were, when Windows was trying to wall garden before that crashed and burned) backing.

Doesn't matter that a game was bought on GoG over Steam: If it can't run on Linux, folks aren't going to jump onto Linux to maybe eventually buy shit off Steam-Linux if they have to run it (the game they bought of GoG) through Windows.

Right, which is what I was getting at.

Needs a consistent and well made GUI. I switched to macOS from Linux because of this.

>Why? What are these people doing with it?
Artwork? Photo manipulation? The same shit professionals do but at home?

GIMP is shit. I've tried it numerous times but get frustrated at how shitty the experience is. Saying "oh you can just drop Photoshop and use GIMP" is ignoring that the actual user experience is baked in due to folks pirating Photoshop/using Photoshop professionally and casually.

There's a reason "GIMPshop" was popular before it got co-opt'd and the original person making the edits stopped because they were asshurt about that.

>Because that is what I always did, at least the one time I "needed" to use Office.
Great, but again: That's ignoring their point. Maybe they NEED the software to work offline (EG: Not be Google Docs/Office 365 which requires online connection) due to the nature of their work. Maybe they work in an air-gapped environment where the internet is NOT possible to run. Telling them "just use this online app! XD!" isn't going to help them.

That's what I'm getting at: In your use case, sure, that works. And that may work for most consumers now a days, but there is use cases where that is terrible advice, and Linux falls short because of it.

Lower interrupt latency.

You can get liquorix, linux-lowlatency, or customize the kernel yourself. It's a few buttons and switches in the make xconf

>Artwork? Photo manipulation? The same shit professionals do but at home?
Who needs that?
Not once in my life did I have the desire to do any of that.

>Maybe they
Yes, you can come up with obscure scenarios where a tiny minority absolutely needs something.
But 99.9% of office users are permanently connected to the internet.

You can use proton for nonsteam games just by adding it into your steam library.
(Like they got the GOG ver. of the witcher 3 working on proton)

Let's see:

>Native games
>A not shit photo manipulation tool
>A not shit music player
>A not shit desktop
If you tell me to use WINE for games, photoshop, and foobar, what the fuck is the point of installing a Linux distro?

>Microsoft ditches NT, and creates a new OS based on GNU/Lunix
>invests time, manpower, and patents into wine creating a perfect drop in replacement for win32/wow64 programs
>all proprietary software works on it with little hassle

>Who needs that?
Actual people whose real life profession is that.
>in my life
Stop being autistic and think of other people before recommending a gimped (pun intended) OS.

you probably mean DE
all distros are just Linux + package repositories
you choose whatever programs you want to be installed

>Actual people whose real life profession is that.
I asked about NONE PROFESSIONALS. Do you even read?

>Stop being autistic and think of other people
What does that even mean? Is my opinion invalid because another person disagrees with it?
This is ridiculous.

>NONE PROFESSIONALS
Oh in that case photoshop is just better than gimp because of all the addons it has in addition to its standard feature set.
>invalid
No, it's just not universal.

Not much could get me to switch to Linux, I appreciate the idea of it but it's not for me.

It does. It's called Ubuntu.

To use as my sole OS?
>photoshop
>office applications
>mainstream vidya just werks
I don't want to set up virtual machines just to do certain tasks.

it's not for you then

just use MPV

mouse input that works 100% exactly the same as it does in win7 + proper black bar scaling for 4:3 games/software

No. People won't switch even if Linux has 100% windows compatibility and even android compatibility on top of that. People will switch only if schools stop using windows and if Linux is pre-installed on over 50% of pre-built computers. Majority of people don't even give a shit about their OS and have never opened Photoshop and only know it as a verb which means "edit an image". The majority of people already have everything they need on Linux and they could switch right now. But it's too inconvenient to install an OS and learn to use it when they don't have any benefits for switching, from their perspective.

I use photoshop all the time on windows and it's the reason I keep around a windows install. The only reason I actually switched to linux is because windows doesn't have the other programs I need and I prefer linux overall.

>Who needs that?
People who make art and manipulate photos. Some people have hobbies besides trolling on a nazi infested japanese cartoon image board.

Can i mod games at exactly the same level as on windows? Nexus, Workshop, Forge etc etc

I dont think so,but dont quote me on it.

Applel making a distru supporting all of their software and hardware and zero performance or battery life penalties.

So, yeah, it ain’t happenin’

If it was a little easier to understand.

security

Nvidia have been putting decent effort into the closed drivers. It's what muh gamers have been using so

Clear project by Intel

Steam Workshop works like in native.
If the mod just requires copying some files, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
If the mod requires an exe install, you need to specify your game's Wineprefix and run it through the Proton version you use to run your game cause for some reason it throws a bitch fit when using vanilla Wine, which is kind of a pain in the ass, but it's possible.

I'm about to right fucking now. Currently uninstalling updates because Cortana keeps starting herself up and my Start search is fucked.

can't fix screen tearing on loonix, nvidia drivers with full frame composition doesn't work, might look into wayland

Nothing. I plan to install elementary OS the moment macOS Mojave stops getting any kind of support.

Windows LTSC
>wayland
OK you'll come back to windows kek

You enable it in Steam settings and after that it's literally just click on play like any other game. Works flawlessly for about 80% of games out there unless you have an old graphics card.

Already running a Linux distribution on my phone

Linux is only a kernel. You probably mean the GNU system.

If you think more and better proprietary software support would be a success for Linux, you're everything that is wrong with this community.

>her

Use libre office.

I became a pedophile and needed the extra security

If you're not already regularly using lignux, bsd, another unix-like OS, or an actual unix, then you should not be posting on this board. Winfags belong on /v/, /neowin/, and /reddit/. Go back.

Can't send our clients fucked up files, it makes us look incredibly unprofessional. And Ms Word is much much more easier to work with than LibreOffice.

>Sending the plebs to /v/
I like this poster

I switched around the time when wannacry was breaking some windows and wanted to prevent first-hand experience of it.

based

>72573616
avoid b8 and do NOT interject

I have a difference experience. I find out old games run with much less issues on pure wine or playonlinux than on Lutris/Proton/Steam, on my hardware at least.

I'd throw it on my laptop (desktop only exists for Vidya) but unfortunately it has an AMOLED display Linux doesn't support that as well as windows does

bideo game

vased

Attached: Boomerang.jpg (110x125, 2K)

phased

It's faster than Winblows and I don't play vidya. Also, I'm a poorfag so I'll take any bit of optimization I can get.

Attached: doujins writing themselves.jpg (1280x720, 54K)

>What would make you switch to Linux?
wrong thread, this is the windows 10 home edition shill thread

Linux should be way more restricted so i don't get confused by so many options.

they should also make it expensive to buy so I can use it as a status symbol and not look like some poor peasant.

>What would make you switch to Linux?
Money. You would have to pay me to switch to Linux. And I would insist on choosing which distro I installed.

Not as much as what you'd have to pay me to use OSX, though.

a cute azn gf