3 Main BSDs

What's the difference between the 3 big BSDs? (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD)
From what I've gathered, the differences are:
>FreeBSD:
A general purpose OS built for general desktop use
>OpenBSD:
Focused on security, works best with Thinkpads, Jow Forums's pick
>NetBSD:
Usually used on projects like Raspberry Pis or alternative OSes on retro consoles.
Did I miss anything?

Attached: bsdkeepout.png (194x191, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/72505146/#q72523717
freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

NetBSD is old irrelevant shit

FreeBSD is for hipsters who just want to try something that does the same shit as linux but isn't linux

OpenBSD is the only sensible choice sense it's security focus actually justifies its existence and gives you a reason to learn how to use it beyond not being linux

OpenBSD
large set of custom network servers
not for scalable cloud as it:
lacks mordern filesystem (has some raid though)
lacks virtualization (has vmd for some time, but other OpenBSD instance is the only thing I would say it can run reliably)
lacks dtrace
the largest users of OpenBSD are also avid developers, it's visibly one of those systems from developers to developers
the project's head devs (especially theo) are turbo aspergers, resulting in no undesired attention from large corps. surprisingly which often results in having to maintain backwards compatibility hell. See FreeBSD and Linux.
The system is known for implementing all sorts of security mitigations and often external researchers are able to pick it up quickly. Some are imho snakeoil, some are pretty good. You will hear that FreeBSD and Linux has patches for all of those, but nobody actually uses them or tests software with them. OpenBSD turns them on by default and forces them to users, fixing ports on fly. This is something no sane project would be allowed to do if it has big market share (see Linus's rule about not breaking userspace).

FreeBSD has pretty big commercial support. The big name is Netflix, but I'm sure there is more.
it has good virtualization (bhive), jails, disk management (zfs) and dtrace. There is some mess in the system, some competing modules doing the same thing, some terrible defaults, and fear of breaking downsteam because of the significant market share. it's not a comfy system because of this, but definitely good choice for servers.

NetBSD... idk. Mailing list makes it look like they do a lot of progress, but I don't know about anyone using it.

I use OpenBSD for most things (desktop/router/server/nas) but you missed DragonFly which has HAMMER and really good kernel performance. Someday I'll replace my NAS with DragonFly. Don't think I'll ever use it as a desktop though.

cuck license tho

DragonFly is great design wise, but Linux still has better hardware and application suppory.

And that's why.

Funny. The copyleft cancer is why I try to avoid GNU and Linux software as hard as I possibly can.

Don't forget the fourth: macOS, it just works™

I wish openbsd had a filesystem like ZFS

Breaking news, I have updates about bsd in 2019 :
>freebsd
outclassed by linux
>openbsd
outclassed by linux
>netbsd
outclassed by linux

linux is better than any bsd in every single category, prove me wrong.
>inb4 muh networking
get with time gramp, this is not 2005 anymore.

OpenBSD is a cybersecurity playground, netbsd is completely deprecated for 21st century hardware, freebsd is kinda sorta okay. All have a fraction of Arch or Ubuntu performance for most tasks but freebsd fares best.

macOS: it just works unlike linux

kqueue > epoll
dtrace > perf, systemtap
and that's pretty much it. I wish epoll would be at least well designed, but it's such a fucking joke.

>OpenBSD is a cybersecurity playground
What does that mean, exactly.

nothing, he is meming, openbsd is (((secure))) because noone uses it therefore it's a waste of time for researchers to find CVEs.

linux has just werked on more things than anything else i've tried
i think the only issue i've ever had has been a graphical bug where GNOME didn't play nice with firefox for some reason

Except on doing actual work. No wonder why all linux "evangelists" are poor smelly NEETs shilling for other poor NEETs.

It uses questionable and unproven security strategies. It has no GPU drivers and performs a fraction of Ubuntu's speed, so no reason to use it and its broken userspace.

>no GPU drivers
Quit lying. amdgpu got ported a few months ago and it has had a radeon driver for years. The lack of Nvidia drivers is 100% Nvidia's fault, which is just another reason to not buy their cards.

>amdgpu
That doesn't qualify, it barely runs anything. Not even the same category of performance as windows AMD drivers.
>100% Nvidia's fault
If the kernel can't interface the hardware, it's a shit kernel. It's openbsd's fault it can't just run nvidia windows drivers.

>That doesn't qualify
Both it and radeon count.
>If the kernel can't interface the hardware
If the hardware manufacturer won't release the necessary documentation to support the hardware, it's shit.

>count
Oh so why is there no amd control menu? It's a shitty excuse for a driver just to make people shut up.
>documentation
You're not entitled to it. Why would you go out and make your own kernel if you can't even support the world's most popular devices? It's a stupid decision.

>Oh so why is there no amd control menu? It's a shitty excuse for a driver just to make people shut up.
I didn't realize that menu was necessary for a driver to be a driver.
>You're not entitled to it. Why would you go out and make your own kernel if you can't even support the world's most popular devices? It's a stupid decision.
I fail to see the issue. If I wanted to run Windows I'd need to buy an x86 machine. If I wanted to run MorphOS I'd need to buy a PowerPC machine. Why is needing to buy an AMD GPU to run OpenBSD any different? Regardless of the OS it still requires supported hardware to run.

>necessary
Yes, it's part of the package. Another prerequisite is for it to actually do some work, which it doesn't. It doesn't utilise your GPUs like windows drivers do.
>different?
I'm not against this, I'm against the entitlement of openBSD devs, that nvidia somehow owe them anything at all despite their down-under marketshare.

NetBSD is chasing the classical Unix philosophy, sometimes making work around to get things to work properly
OpenBSD is chasing extreme security and their version of free software (strictly copy center)
FreeBSD is chasing the perfect server, to the bsd crowd a "desktop" almost the same as "desktop/workstation" so the corssover makes for a great desktop experience.
NetBSD is mostly for fun, OpenBSD is mostly for what normies might call experimentation and FreeBSD is mostly attempting to get a product that another distributor will sell or distribute modified ala TrueOS.

You forgot to mention that OpenBSD doesn't just avoid having to support vendors shitty hardware, something like w^x comes along or 64bit clock and they will actively break software to achieve higher theoretical security. Shits mad but you sorta get where they come from.

The devs are anything but entitled. Nobody's demanding a Nvidia driver, they're simply saying that until Nvidia either makes it possible for the devs to write a driver or releases an open source driver for OpenBSD, OpenBSD won't support Nvidia cards. Plain and simple.

So why did you call it shit?

I'm not an OpenBSD dev, I can call Nvidia shit all I want. Any company that can't do something as basic as enable people to use their hardware is shit.

But you can use your nvidia hardware on windows and linux.

Yes, because Nvidia supports them. When Nvidia either supports OpenBSD or releases the necessary documentation for OpenBSD devs to do it, I'll reconsider my stance on the company.

Your a fucking idiot. Nvidia drivers in the free software world worked exactly the same for years untill nvidia encrypted the cpu bios - now you are locked into a pre-fully booted gpu at about a clockspeed of 12mhz on GPU core, you saying "write your own drivers" is a massive kick in the fucking pants to people who have and then been told by nvidia that at a hardware level they are not to be used. Fucking windows and ubuntu shills man.

That's great I guess. I'm still waiting for a single reason to use openbsd.
Not my problem. I don't care if openbsd has to pay $1m for nvidia drivers.

>yes, Nvidia, fuck me harder

>not my problem that what I said previously is bullshit and you called me on it.
dropped like a child during the Holodomor

I don't own any nvidia devices.
>bullshit
???
Unless the open source community owns nvidia patents, which they don't, or are considerable shareholders, which they aren't, I don't see a single reason for nvidia to move a finger. I'd be pissed if some stupid shmucks constantly bitched about support. What's next, nvidia support for a random templeos forK?

>doesn't even use Nvidia
>still a Nvidia bootlicker

>bootlicker
I like to slap a reality check on autists every now and then. Especially when my crawler sees an openbsd thread with

>A general purpose OS built for general desktop use
It’s mainly for servers. They’re all server OSes. There’s True OS and Midnight BSD if you want a true desktop experience but the main distros are literally UNIX.

>I like to shit up threads about things I don't like because nobody's allowed to have differing opinions from mine
>calling others autists
Okay, Captain Autismo, whatever you say.

>dropped like a child during the Holodomor
what a horrible thing to say have some respect

Nah senpai, you gotta learn to look into the darkness, it's funnier.

w^x is only relevant hardware feature on modern hardware, nothing groundbreaking in this century
>64 bit time
Linux is the lasr system without the support. I seriously don't know what the fuck is wrong with them. Especially since Linux becomes a big deal in embedded world where 32-bits will definitely be there for at least next decade.
It's not that OpenBSD would do anything stunning, it's just Linux folks still did not done the anything at all.
>to achieve higher theoretical security
not really. They are all kinda low-impact fixes. The system still has shit sandboxing, global system configuration and resources, requires root user for many actions.
Lack of sanitizers is kinda lame.

no... there are limits to everything and this just shows immaturity. are you 12?

low impact fixes with theoretical high impact when stuff like Q# dwarfs our current security

Y'all female or something? Offense is taken, not given, and you need to learn to either ignore things you don't like.

no this does not fly in the real world. you dont sound special, interesting, witty or anytihng of the sort.

Many systems work with preshared keys, quantum is useless against anything else. Just don't use meme key exchanges and transport the keys on usb drive and that's it.

You clearly have no idea about the real world, protip, when normal people joke about the darkness that's ever present when any international super power as a standing army, it's people like me who're thrown into the darkness while people like you sit at uni talking about how pronouns are important. You are worthless, just like a child during a famine that will certainly eclipse the mothers life if she not leave it to it's fate.

hmm no. you sound like a jaded madman who gets his kicks being weird on the web. get laid. or not.

BSD license is true Free as in Freedom license, GPL literally puts restrictions on who can use your software and for what. BSD is literally just "give me credit for making this, beyond that do whatever", it's the most based license around

Linux is a kernel. You property meant GNU.

Linux is also a colloquialism for operating systems that use the aforementioned kernel. You knew that though.

you're a stupid monkey. the only restriction the gpl imposes is *no restrictions*, that's called protection
a permissive license does not have this protection, which leads to proprietary software and with it, obviously, restrictions

dilate faggot.

Remind yourself of that the next time you say Android.

Of what? It's no different than calling Debian "Debian"

Bullshit.

Free for users vs. free for vendors.

If you like charity for vendors, then that's your prerogative but don't even act like it's about freedom.

FreeBSD is the only real alternative to Linux.
OpenBSD has not invested at all in their kernel beside randomizing crap all over the place, and it's showing. Outdated file system, horrible SMP support (the kernel is giant locked). It would take them a decade to get there, but the way the project is developed it's not going to work.
NetBSD is fine but has few developers and is just keeping the lights on. Same for DragonFly; good design but about as many developers as a Nes emulator on Github.

>OpenBSD has not invested at all in their kernel beside randomizing crap all over the place
Except for the part where they've been putting in a lot of work to improve SMP

For a decade, and still nothing to show for it. Theyve made lots of progress randomizing crap though.

>3
What about Dragonfly?

>improve SMP
implementing basic features decades after everyone else is not an improvements
the rng framework might be good, idkmuch about that or how it looks on linux (only that dev/random blocks like crazy)

>making their SMP better than it already is is not an improvement
Congratulations, you've won the dumbest post of the day award.

Xubuntu suits very well my home offfice work. LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GIMP for lolcats, Inkscape, assorted web browsers, qBittorrent, Hexchat.
Now that Microsoft is adopting the Chrome engine, Windows-only websites will finally no longer be an issue.
And free as in beer Master PDF Editor 4:
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/72505146/#q72523717
I just need an OS to load this stuff. Now Linux has ZFS (ReFS is a zombie), and if I use Windows I would need to shell a lot of money for a decent PDF editor (my hardware has a digital license for Windows 10 Professional).

How does this affect me as the user?

There’s a difference between giving away your work and letting it be taken from you. Not that a Jow Forumsyp would understand nuance.

>giving away and letting it be taken
literally cucked

Wow, you didn’t try to hide your misrepresentation. Are you a journalist?

They fix possible problems as they come across them rather than waiting for russian and chinese hackers to exploit them.

OpenBSD has been largely immune to most of the crippling Intel bugs as of late because they already thought of fixing certain problems.

it's called just being honest

Not gonna lie, freeBSD's ports tree is pretty comfy. Also the nginx and freeBSD is a based combo.

this fucking drawing lmfao

openbsd logic: you can't get hacked via programs you don't support

>FreeBSD
Tranny SJW shit. It's basically Linux with less features and worse hardware support.
>OpenBSD
Supplies the free software community with excellent things like OpenSSH and LibreSSL, but isn't really a good OS due to lack of hardware support, bad performance, and lack of features (even security features).
>NetBSD
Best choice for your 486DX2.

>excellent things like OpenSSH and LibreSSL
OpenSSH is aging, and LibreSSL is so bad that some projects reverted to using OpenSSL.
LibreSSL does not even fucking support the new TLS standard (1.3) because they're busy rewriting the man pages.

Basically, that's the OpenBSD philosophy: discuss over and over trivial crap on the mailing lists (whether they should put the comma here or there) while letting giant problems sit unsolved.

The performance is atrocious because they have not invested *at all* since basically 1995. Computers have changed quite a bit since...

>LibreSSL does not even fucking support the new TLS standard (1.3) because they're busy rewriting the man pages.
It's almost as if OpenBSD is an underappreciated and underfunded project

So? What are you implying? I think they should give themselves another year or two and shut doors.

>What are you implying
That it's a wonderful and under-funded project.

That might be true, but it does not change the fact that they bragged to the entire world that they would fork OpenSSL and fix everything, before realizing that 1) maintaining a SSL library is a gigantic task and 2) all the (or rather the few) cryptographers they had left the project more than a decade ago.

Also consider that the reason they don't have many developers is that Theo is simply insufferable and scares away potential contributors.

GPL is the only way to maintain true software freedom for the user. When some giant corporation can just boost your freeware, make proprietary shit for it, and return zero control back to the user, you risk de-facto monopolization where the shareholder has complete authority over how you use your software.

This is monopolization is also why BSD has such garbage hardware and software support. You have like 3 developers trying their best to make something usable and supported, only to have corporate parasites jacking that shit and using their massive amounts of resources to build proprietary functionality. Cucked.

FreeBSD, you mean the feminist SJW BSD?
Holy fuck, don't even talk about this shit BSD

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

If you understood quantum you would understand that it would be probably three or four probes max on a password before every service and any port security is useless against it. You could model every single possible outcome from all relevant information in the internet more times than there are particles in the solar system within seconds, hours if your code is shite.

relax, they're cucks, just cuck them of their code it's bsd licensed, that's the point.

>releasing software to what is essentially the public domain but requiring credit is being cucked
Ebin maymay, brah

>every pajit that shits in our street fucks my wife and I just have to ask them nicely to put my name in the credits

thanks, I like the way it makes sense and is honest.

>every person who contributed deserves credit
Ex fucking zactly.

What are you going to do if I don't put your name in. Welcome to the only place where GPL faggots have a leg up on your cucks, I distribute in binary form what're you gonna do?

3 different circlejerks

>says the GNU/cuck with code of conduct in his kernel and the code stolen by chinks

Except for factoring problems (meaning no preshared key models), algorithim complexity benefit of quantum computers isn't big enough to be cheaper than time equivalent of ASIC farm.

They had master-slave before, now they have sub-par SMP. They went from shit to garbage. I don't see an improvement there It's just different, not better.