Wait for Zen 3

Attached: 1563884155644.jpg (960x960, 212K)

>just wait for X
>don't upgrade computer for 15 years
Just accept that this is how this shit works. There will always be a better option 6 months down the line.

Attached: Disdain.png (1464x712, 642K)

There are times where it makes no sense at all to buy though
Right now is great for CPUs, almost acceptable for video cards but it's better to hold out for AMD partner cards

depends
1) is your computer just not the newest? wait
2) is your computer still able to do everything, just not perfect? possibly wait
3) Have you stopped doing things because of how slow your computer is? upgrade time
4) are you able to do anything that is new? fucking get something new.

most people fall into 1 and 2, at this point, holding out on competition or the next gen makes sense, you have no pressing need to upgrade and it will be a bigger bang for the same buck.

3 and 4 are people everyone imagines are 'just waiting' which is almost never the case, if you absolutely needed it, you would have gotten it already, and if you are poor and in 3, it may be better to wait just for a old stock flush if anything else.

>First gen Ryzen
>Riddled with performance problems and incompatibilities
>Second gen Ryzen
>Fixes all of Gen 1's problems and is arguably a great buy
>Third gen Ryzen

What were you saying about waiting again?

Attached: 1294218446007.jpg (300x300, 65K)

pretty much this
zen2 is a skip, the next generation should fix zen2s problems like zen+ fixed zen1
Im still on 4th gen i3 intel processor but planning a zen+ build for next year, werks fine

Maybe at launch, but the only issue since Zen launch was motherboard stock BIOS versions

Can I wait for zen4?

Attached: 1543955964761.gif (222x216, 1.3M)

hell yeah go for it man

Heh, I'm still rolling fine with my Phenom II x 4 955 w/32GB ram. Does all I need. I don't play new games. Hell the oldest game I play only requires DX 9 class hardware from 2004. So I've little incentive to upgrade anything.

You'll need to skip Zen 3+++ while you're at it.

this, my zen1.5 is based. After reading issues with zen1 and zen2, I lucked out building a 2600 at the right time

Alright! Gonna wait for zen5! And will buy zen6, eventually, when zen7 comes out.

Attached: 1541291206153.gif (640x480, 1.26M)

Just Waitâ„¢

I waited 6 years. Now I've finally gone and upgraded due to Intel vulnerabilities and being able to run VR.

Now I'll probably wait a decade until my next upgrade.

Isn't that what came out like a month ago?

Zen 3 /= Ryzen 3000

Technically that was Zen2. Ryzen 2000 series was Zen1.5. Ryzen 4000 would be Zen 3.5 if AMD follows tick-tock

Why do backlit fluffy animals look like ascended beings?

Zen 4 you mean

if you can get this to me then you should be able to get me without making me pray in a dark room, potentially opening me up to myriad horrors of this universe.

I'll wait for next big thing for CPUs
I know it's somewhere near and will get new CPU after 10 something years. Will save till then for newest and greatest CPU money can buy!

Attached: 1540217435432.jpg (657x527, 36K)

They are. All the enlightened people reincarnate as kittens.

Not if it's Shintel there won't be, unless you consider 1% IPC gain before patches an improvement.

WTF! I want to die now!

>Ryzen 2000 series was Zen1.5
Its still Zen1. There is no Zen+ core, only Zen1 with fixed microcode and different chicken bits. Its 100% the exact same design.

Also relevant to the thread: Zen1 and Zen2 are both 17h arch family. Zen3 however is not. That means Zen3 will be a big enough departure to be in its own unique arch family going forward.

The most redpilled user in this thread.

I'm on Haswell, should I upgrade to Ryzen now or wait for 4000 series?

Isn't the next Zen launch moving away from AM4? Someone posted an AMD slide stating they would support AM4 until 2020. Could be smart to wait for AM5, and have an upgrade path unlike intel.

I can't wait that long, I'm going to need my parts in the next couple of months. After that I can hold. I'm just waiting to hear which mATX should I get for gaymen, I still have some time.

Next-gen Ryzens (4000 series) will be on AM4 using DDR4. The next generation after that (probably Ryzen 5000 in 2021) will switch sockets to AM5, will will likely switch the IMC to DDR5 as well.

But why switch socket? Why AMD and Intel does that? Different pin count on newer CPUs?

I have no idea why Intel does it. They used to do socket changes every 2 years under tick-tock, but they stopped doing that when they haven't come up with a new architecture since Skylake.
As for AMD, they only do that when they change memory controllers and the sockets are to wall off CPUs and motherboards that don't have the same memory type. (DDR2/AM2, DDR3/AM3, DDR4/AM4)

Intel probably does it so they don't have to do all kinds of work to support so many CPUs on a single board.

Why not AM4+, its not like there is a pattern or anything (AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+/AM4) mhmm wonder what could be next.

AM5, next year

AMD always makes the socket incompatible when they change memory types. AM2+ to AM3 was because of the switch to DDR3, and AM3+ to AM4 was because of the switch to DDR4. DDR5 is supposed to be ready soon, and I'd imagine that AMD will be ready to switch sockets to support the new memory type.

>AMD always makes the socket incompatible when they change memory types.
wrong
AM3 chips had a DDR2 and DDR3 memory support built into them, making them backwards compatible with certain AM2/AM2+ (depends on motherboard manufacturer)

you are going to see a ryzen 5000 series chip with both DDR4 and DDR5 support

Yeah, you said when AMD does it, not why
Does anything have to change on socket to support new DDR memory? Or does it mean that with new socket they drop support for previous socket CPUs?

I LOVE KITTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>haven't upgraded since 2500k
>still works fine, doesn't even feel slow at 1080p with a 580

No point in upgrading until the next gen consoles come out. They are dragging us down, so when they finally upgrade we get overall increase in system requirements for pretty much everything.

I'll probably just hold out until PCIE 4/5, DDR5 and large NVME, or even persistent DIMMs, drives are mainstream.
For now my 4790k and vega56 ar still good enough.

celestial kitty posted for our sins

The Laura of Wet Blankets enters the thread.

Instead of participating in thread discussion, this Laura just wants to point out that you're currently at the edge of the board and about to die. =^_^=

Attached: Laura.png (189x274, 75K)

Kot

Will it have ddr5 support? No, therefore I bought zen2 and will upgrade to zen4 on release.

If you're unsure, probably not worth buying
If you have serious issues or make money with your computer, buy sooner