Is erasure software a scam?

I just don't believe data can be erased completely. I don't think the government would allow it.

Attached: erase-files-1-970x546.jpg (970x546, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bleachbit.org/cloth-or-something
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I just don't believe data can be erased completely. I don't think the government would allow it.

Attached: brainlet27.jpg (645x614, 61K)

If I write some damning things on paper and then burn the paper, can the glowniggers retrieve what was written?

I didn't know paper was like a hard drive. Thanks, user!

When you're a brainlet but don't realize it. Maybe try explaining yourself next time, you dumb fuck.

Break the hard drive platters in a million pieces, then.

Attached: 1566312146757.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

Harddrives are actually made out of paper.. :P

So basically you believe that a hard drive can store infinite data.

Attached: you.jpg (900x900, 83K)

no, you can easily erase data, just write over it with anything that isn't all 000000
even on windows there's tons of programs, like ccleaner has it built in.
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX bs=10M probably easiest

Like rewriting over the deleted data with random photos or something?

That user gave you an example of randomly writing bits. I guess you could just write over everything with saved 4channel pictures and accomplish the same thing.

No, but I do believe it leaves traces. Wouldn't surprise me if data erasure was a law enforcement scam just like VPNs are.

Clearly VPNs are operated by the NSA. You'd have to be dumb to think otherwise.

Ok kid

Prove me wrong then.

I'll make sure to start a VPN service to get on the NSA payroll.

Why is it unfathomable that the NSA would do that? Their entire purpose is to spy on us.

I've read the source code of shred, didn't understand a whole lot of it, but I got the part where it specifically took sectors of hard drives and wrote over them with either garbage or zeros multiple times, typically a min of 3 times, to completely remove all trace of data. Stop using shitty windows and macos operating systems and thinking personal data security is a bad things.

If government doesn't allow to delete data and NSA is spying on me, then, how come I never got caught?

Attached: 1540227598672.jpg (367x446, 41K)

Luck?

yes, if you stole videos and had to erase the hard drive you could literally copy paste your personal pics hundreds of times till it over-wrote and took up your entire drive. Nothing that exists would be able to recover the video you had before-hand

Luck? What the fuck it suppose to mean?
A FUCKING LUCK!?
ARE YOU RETARDED???
WHAT THE FUCK LUCK IS!?
A FUCKING LUCK!!!
can you fucking believe this... LUCK!

Attached: 1541202973957.jpg (798x770, 195K)

>dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX bs=10M
You want to do this at least twice.

>he thinks erasure software doesn't work

Attached: hilldawglaffs.jpg (640x420, 53K)

>I don't understand anything, but will stand by my retarded gut instinct as if I were an expert
Sure thing buddy, and the light from your screen is secretly programming you to be a sleeper cell agent for the CIA, and any evidence you can find that suggests subliminal messaging doesn't work must be a fabricated trail of breadcrumbs meant to lead you away from the truth.

Is erasing data on an SSD with impossible? Does the unused space not get erased at the very latest by garbage collection ? Or would i have to overwrite the entire free space to affect anything ?

SSD with TRIM*

Is that for linux?

Recycle Bin is a government controlled directory, even your average nigger knows that.

just put your drives in acid baths.
jfc

No, it's for windows.

As far as I know the complete erasure of some data written to a hdd is impossible, cause these disks write data relying heavily on the position of the disk head. Let's say the position of this head while replacing the original value with '0' is a little bit different. The bit will be overwritten, but fragment of the original data will remain
While using ssds, this kind of software can be effective

This is the most brainlet, dense and idiotic post I've ever seen on Jow Forums.

Then explain why its wrong, user. The most idiotic thing is stating something is wrong but not explaining why. Explain it.

Because you don't know how HDDs work.

>I may be a complete drooling retard with no idea how anything works, but you're worse for not sitting me down like a 5-year-old and explaining to me in very small words how the world works
No.

If you overwrite an HDD platter with enough 1's and 0's enough times eventually there will be an unrecoverable trace of how it was originally magnetized. You can completely blank a hard drive or completely remove data from a platter this way, as long as thats the only place the data was ever saved and the machine was never connected to the internet, you can be certain that the data is completely gone besides the tiny magnetic traces of what the bits once were on the platter, that while still existent, are only existent in theory because we cant actually detect them anymore after a few polarity changes.

If you have to be absolutely sure, platters are made of glass or aluminum, they melt very easily in a charcoal grill with a leaf blower pointed at the coals. You cant recover data from a pool of liquid.
As far as SSD's go, they can be melted and burned as well, just takes some time.
Erasing data on them is a different matter though, better explained by someone who knows more about SSD's than i do. As far as i know, you can overwrite data on them and its not recoverable as to what the data was before it was overwritten. Same goes for most flash memory.

>The most idiotic thing is stating something is wrong but not explaining why.
No. It's to state that something is X way without providing proof and the shifting the burden of proof to the guy who calls you out.
>The bit will be overwritten, but fragment of the original data will remain
What exactly is a "fragment" of the data. Describe it and tell us how it works. You literally didn't spend even 10 minutes reading some article on data shredding.

An HDD works by changing a physical location on a disk between positive and negative magnetic polarity. Thats the easiest way to describe it. It makes a small section positive (1) or negative (0) and you have binary.
You cant fall out of the "grid" of sorts on a platter or it stops functioning entirely. Its designed to orient itself with however the grid is laid out.

Yes.

bleachbit.org/cloth-or-something

Ask Hillary how well worked for her...

Did it or did her status help her? Perhaps both.

The government isn't omnipotent, retard.
There are things that simply aren't technically feasible, such as recovering data after it has been properly disposed of.

This is why, among many other reasons, full disk encryption is so useful: you can simply safely erase the encryption keys and the data will be forever lost, without needing to overwrite the entire drive or, worse yet, physically destroy it.

You're all retards that can't explain shit.

The one smart guy with a good response. Thank you, user.

Are you implying that the government doesn't have technology not available to citizens or that law enforcement would force data erasure companies to make a backdoor for them?

Give me a fucking break.

But if they could hire millions of puzzle solvers to piece it back

oh come on! obviously it was Cloth or Something, it's infallible...

>Y-Y-YOU'RE the r-r-retards!
Oh wow, you really showed them.

>don't you people understand that the government has time machines and forces even open source projects to invisibly alter their code?
>WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!

I just don't believe humans can be killed completely. I don't think the government would allow it.

So you think VPN software exists in a variety of forms all over the world and the NSA is responsible for all of them?
So you just don't use VPNs or any sort of tunneling/encapsulation because you think the NSA is behind it all or something?

That's schizo tier thinking and shows a lack of understanding in the tech.

If you’re that paranoid get a degausser

of course data cant be erased. just travel back in the forth dimension and it still exists

Attached: 1560359456728.jpg (1126x787, 289K)

There have been technically amazing feats when it comes to data recovery on drives that weren't outright destroyed.
OP is retarded, don't get me wrong, but with enough resources it is genuinely amazing what can be recovered, even after a good ol' fashion degaussing.

So OP's fears are kind of justified but there's a point where you'd have to be a HVT to be worth the techniques required to maybe gain some of those old hentai he had saved.
Effectively, even from enthusiasts, software will make your data gone.

ccleaner has malware

no there is ATA secure erase command for exactly this reason

>ccleaner has malware
ccleaner is malware

>I don't know what is zero-filling because I'm brainlet
sys

>prove that NSA is not spying on vpn users
>whatever is posted gets a retarded 'it's not the whole truth, it goes deeper' schizo reply
and besides
>prove a negative
prove unicorns aren't real

go be with your people, OP.

Obama unleashed the NSA on us. You're a literal brainlet if you think nobody is watching you and that you can just delete your data without a trace. Grow up.

DBAN saved my life. They couldn't find ANYTHING.

>put disk in forge
>wait a few minutes
>???
>profit
seriously, just fry the fucker if the data is that important

also overwriting enough times on an HDD will generally obscure any remnants enough that you can't make any reliable guess on what was there, unless the hard drive controller is explicitly backdoored to leak information (eg, to a hidden partition)

>y..you guys did not explain it to me, so y..you are r..retards! unlike this P00NF33D3R!

learn how a hard drive works
learn how such algorithm works
read source code of such algorithms

CM? Is that you?

So generally if your drive is not damaged, there is nothing that exists right now that you could do to retrieve overwritten data.

Deleting, and writing over with a bunch of random pictures. HOWEVER, that is if you are even able to write over every sector of the HDD. Sometimes, HDD are damaged and cannot even be accessed. Other times, there are sections of the HDD that are deliberately unwritable and sometimes data can migrate.

0-erase is not secure. Though you'd have to be a target of some 3 letter agency, a HDD still maintains its magnetic signature that can theoretically be restored by magnetic force microscopes.

The two fool proof methods of complete data destruction are degaussing and physical destruction though 99.99% of the time encrypted data deletion through overwrite is just as good.

SSD's employ TRIM. I believe when you "delete" something on an SSD it is actually deleted. Though I don't see why you couldn't do the same techniques as a HDD on an SSD but you would compromise your SSD's performance due to limit read/write cycles. Most security analysts believe that secure erase is bulletproof.

works on ssd's?

If you are really worried about people hacking your shit, buy a cheap smelter and be done with it.

Whew, and I here I thought there was a physical limit to the information density of matter, good thing the government wouldn't allow that, so no matter how many times you overwrite your entire hard drive, all the data it's ever stored will continue to exist somehow.

This was really informative. Thank you, user.

there's a defcon talk on this, they talked about how the official spook handbooks are pretty consistent across countries, as long as the pieces of the platter (as well as certain controller chips are destroyed to within a certain number of millimeters small, they consider it completely destroyed and unretrievable.

That's why SSD fail by stopping accepting new writes; the logs have filled up, and they can't preserve the old data for a government search.

VPNs for privacy are basically a scam since they're unnecessary for that. But the NSA couldn't give a fuck what 99.9999% of people are browsing on the internet are looking at.

Basically, start taking your pills again schizo.

>the government can override the laws of physics
Yeah, look how well that's turned out when they try overriding human nature.

based and nsa-pilled

>I just don't believe data can be erased completely. I don't think the government would allow it.
Are you retarded ? No one has ever been able to even replicate data that has been overwritten ONCE!

The government doesn't actually microcontrol every element of your life, user. If you write software to remove some data then data gets removed, at the end of the day. You can keep filling, emptying and refilling a harddrive after all, it doesn't have a max capacity.
Melt them then. Forges hot enough to melt aluminium aren't hard to make.

> hasn't read Cryptonomicon
> doesn't realise you can do exactly the same shit under linux

overwriting with zeroes 1-2 times is literally enough. literally google "data erasure standards" and you'll see that most governments and three-letter agencies use 1-3 overwriting rounds. the important thing is to do it from the lowest possible level, so shit like ccleaner is pretty much useless.
though they also physically destruct the drives as well, but that is a part your average person can easily fuck up. there were multiple cases where data has been recovered from drives that were thrown into fire. i recommend watching linus tech tips video about a company that does data recovery, i know he's a cuck but it was very interesting.

spouting shit like "you need at least 35 passes" (it's an old standard for tape drives) is actually harmful because no one can be bothered to do that, so they end up not overwriting data at all. imagine having to do 35 passes on multiple 8tb drives in a data center, it would take days if not weeks.

>"Backdoor" in a data erasure program
Are you just regurgitating buzz words? Do you have any clue what that would entail?
Backdoor into encryption, "secure" content, running programs etc is one thing, as it relies on content/services existing in a known state. The entire point of erasure software is that it's a single series of events. To effectively "backdoor" the software you'd need to do some crazy shit like image and upload the entire disk, or compress and encrypt an image of the disk locally so that MUH GUBMNT can review the content.

Bandwidth requirements for either would be hilarious, and the latter requires you to not actually use the disc for an extended period of uptime after use.

You can have a program that's compromised (doesn't actually do anything, or claims DoD short but only does single pass zeros), but you can't "backdoor" a single use process.

>most governments and three-letter agencies use 1-3 overwriting rounds
That's what they want you to think fucking retard.

Can anyone stop the illuminati government with their laws of physic tampering?
Why they do this, why?

yeah it's not like it has been proved in various studies that 1-3 passes is enough to completely overwrite data.

>HDD still maintains its magnetic signature that can theoretically be restored by magnetic force microscopes

Theoretically - but still not proven. Even Gutmann's paper does not provide evidence for this nor does he point you to anyone who can achieve this

Take a hammer.

Yes a hard drive is like paper, just a million times more fragile, which is why it is protected by an airtight metal casing.

If your data is so valuable that someone would pay trillions to retrieve it and hire an entire nation for this task you can spend the time to take a file to it and grind it into dust.

fpbp

Why all zeroes isn't good?

or OS X
be sure to replace the /dev/sdX with your actual drive
you can run `parted -l` to see a list of your drives plugged in

all zeros (one run) usually labs can recover file names or metadata of certain files (sometimes) twice is a pretty much guarantee it's erased. But if you use urandom instead it'll make the drive overwrite more fucked up than just all zeroes is, so less likely to be recovered if say the government dedicated all of it's resources to this 1 drive for whatever reason.

Also forgot to mention the more dense drives get the easier it is to erase data and it be unrecoverable. And SSDs one write and it's gone forever.
So bigger drives while taking longer to over-write / erase also benefit from being exponentially harder to pull data off.
Pulling data off is a meme anyway though, it's only been done once (to public knowledge) in a lab setting and no file data was actually pulled off, only some partial file names.

Smash it with a hammer and boil it in a pot of lemon juice.
Then smash yourself with a hammer and climb into the pot yourself you fucking pedo.

I think the same reason using a single coat of white paint over a painting vs random colors

>As far as i know, you can overwrite data on them and its not recoverable as to what the data was before it was overwritten. Same goes for most flash memory.
Correct. Flash cells are charged up to the maximum if you erase them. A single erase should do, erase, write, erase if you want to be sure.
On a HDD, a 0 written over a 1 ends up slightly different to a 0 over a 0 so you want to fill it with random data a couple of times.
Either way, 1500° C will reliably delete all data permanently for the paranoid.

>I just don't believe OP can have an IQ above room temperature. I don't think nature would allow it.

There are military standards data erasing which have become public. You can always consult them.

What did you do, user?

Attached: Thinking_Face_Emoji_large[1].png (480x480, 101K)

Posted your mom's nudes on deep dark web

I'm paranoid as hell but none of this should seem even remotely true if you understand how hard drives and VPNs work at even a very basic technical level.

I swear to fucking god you retards are getting dumber every week.
> I don't think the government would allow it.
Right, because there is only 1 world government that has totally uniform interests.

>I didn't know paper was like a hard drive
You asked about data, not data specifically stored in a hard drive, retard