/pmp/ - Portable Media Players General

The No-One Else Made It Edition:
This thread is for the discussion of portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone
>inb4 streaming
Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide pastebin.com/fe2LFFdV
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery web.archive.org/web/20170708033500/http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/ Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
• Please keep taking nice pics of your /pmp/'s so that they can be used as OP pics

• Archived Threads : rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

Attached: rb_m3k.jpg (768x1024, 231K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/32970866078.html
youtube.com/watch?v=FoUMmzG3suM
aliexpress.com/item/32969432701.html
aliexpress.com/item/32970858069.html
forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,43106.msg219102.html
download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch7.html#x9-1410007.20
forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=43020.0
ruizutek.com/X19.html
agptek.com/index.php/product/agptek-b05-8gb-lossless-sound-mp3-playermetal-body1-8-inch-color-screen40-hours-playback-hd-sound-quality-headphonesupports-up-to-64gbblack/
amazon.com/MP3-Player-Bluetooth-Expandable-H29-Black/dp/B07Q5PJ3PM
rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=agptekrocker
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here's a picture of mine from the other day. I'm wondering if I should buy a cheap chink player that supports 24bit 96+Khz audio, since it's a pita downsampling everything for my ipod. Anybody else in the same boat? Also I recently found out that although rockbox doesn't support anything higher that 16bit/44.1Khz (anything higher gets downsampled on the fly at the expense of battery life) the original ipod OS supports 24/48, but only with ALAC.

Attached: IMG_20190901_211552_1.jpg (1944x1841, 503K)

What's a good DAP? Like the thinkpads of DAPs

I'd have to go with Sansa Clip+. It's well built, sounds amazing, and with the Rockbox firmware it has a great UI and supports tons of formats. If you use IEMs that have high sensitivity though, you might notice a quiet honking noise when it accesses its SD card. Also it's discontinued and the prices for them on ebay are climbing.

I've seen new Sansa Clip Jam and Clip Sport Plus at Best Buy just the other day. No clue if they're any good though.

>quiet honking noise
Anyway check out the ifi ear buddy, it cancels out hissing on sensitive headphones and iems.

Attached: hp.png (2048x2048, 804K)

iPod 5th gen /iPod classic.
>replaceable battery
>expandable storage with mods
>Rockbox compatible
>nice aesthetic
>reliable as fuck
>you're not paying chinks for a shit tier UX

Is it compatible with linux or FLAC?

once Rockboxed yeah (though it gets downsampled like with this user . But there's a way to make it Windows-formatted on Linux and macos (needed to install Rockbox).

I wonder what themes can be installed with the Fiio M3Ks? I want to theme it like some user's pic.

Attached: 1567388952881.jpg (1536x2308, 425K)

Spotify+Offline downloading is better than any of your shitboxes

>not owning any of the music
Why do this?

as far as i can tell, it's very much a fresh dual boot firmware, and .rockbox isnt accessible like an ipod. it's very basic, but it's functional. still nothing on how it'll be on battery, and if some of the bugs will be / can be fixed. i might try and see if cracking open the FW file will help.

Attached: only installed themes.jpg (3008x1968, 736K)

Nice one user, but why isn't the root accessible though? Some USB driver problems?

>hahaha netflix is so great piracy is shit lmao @ everyone who doesn't stream
>what the fuck why are all of my shows being pulled
>piratefags please save me!
>hahaha spotify is so great piracy is shit lmao @ everyone who doesn't stream
I wonder what will happen next.

Attached: 1400081878020.gif (250x251, 999K)

not sure why it's not accessible, and i've also seen this can be a thing with other players, but haven't personally seen it until now. my guess is when it's more stable, either root will be available, or you'll have to add themes to the FW file before flashing it

Attached: rusurprised.jpg (638x312, 58K)

Yeah I was the one who posted that on the last /pmp/ general. Can you try extracting the FW Installing themes would be sweet as shit.
Also do test out the Rockbox FW to see what are the bugs, and to see what the battery life is like for the /pmp/ here, thanks user.

ill put together a quick review of it so far, gimme a few minutes to get the pictures all together.

Okay, as far as simple usability goes, you're set. It's a custom firmware to play your files, with some audio enhancements that rockbox has. no lag either in terms of playing, skipping and scrolling through songs. audio quality is essentially the same, except the random static bursts that happen when playing a song, or starting the m3k. if i remember this isnt exclusive to this player. and that fucking static will happen full blast no matter what volume you're on. easy dual boot to stock firmware, and you'll need it since pc does not recognize the rockbox side.
so far its 5/10 - its rockbox in alpha stages on the m3k, for basic functions its still good player and even if its theme-less, the snappiness is better than stock by miles.

Attached: RbMK3Grid.jpg (1200x1200, 1.36M)

I bought 3 1.50$ hard chick shit mp3 speakers, how fucked am i?

forgot to mention, rockbox doesnt support a cover photo in the folder unless its bmp. all mine are in jpg and it wont read them unless they're embedded, but that's also just rockbox in general.

What the fuck is an mp3 speaker?

alexa without botnet

It isn't rockbox, just a file size limitation. Try a folder jpg under 240x240 and under 100kb.
I think he means a speaker with a TF slot to play mp3s.

$1.50 for a speaker plus DAC and some digital electronics? It is probably going to sound beyond tinny and then break after a week if you can stand using it that long.

I think it may litterally be a recasing of a mp3 player; they have batteries and are tiny but no onbroad storage

aliexpress.com/item/32970866078.html

Are 20 cent speakers still hot garbage?

i did that with my ipod and it worked but jped at 250x250 looks like ass especially on any theme that is AA focused. plus it's not a major issue right now since om not even using a theme that shows the covers

my shit tier mp3 player from flip phone days is still kicking *shrug* I lost it for years and it just works

What's the worst MP3 player in existence?

Those Chinese ones where everything is in fixed width font, it just shows folders and filenames, and doesn't sort files. To have your directories displayed in order you have to use a FAT sorter utility after adding tracks.

post headphone jack phones?

I want one specific piece of garbage here.

Attached: fuck it ill use cds.jpg (600x600, 62K)

>Digital MP3 Player
Aww, I was hoping for an analog MP3 player.

Clever bastard.
Gimme the fucking name of that thing, I wanna go fucking get it and see how bad it really fucking is lmao

you can find this and the like in any crane game with cheap watches and shit in it too. check steak n shake.

Digital MP3 Player. Can you not read?

Possibly relevant:
youtube.com/watch?v=FoUMmzG3suM

my geuss aliexpress.com/item/32969432701.html

I love how it already seems to be coming apart in this shot.

Attached: HTB1ykPLaITxK1Rjy0Fgq6yovpXae.jpg (1000x1000, 128K)

Attached: F6qU0pN.jpg (747x1000, 192K)

Sorry that comes with internal storage, better then the 1.50$ options

aliexpress.com/item/32970858069.html
This one comes with 16 GB storage, costs 80 cents less, and is also digital.

Oh shit my guy that's fucking amazing

>aliexpress.com/item/32970858069.html

>(Memories are not included)

no, believe me I looked, coming with storage isn't in fashion it seems

16 GB internal + SD slot supporting up to 32 GB (card not included)?

Mine also lists 16gb, but says memory not included

the heavy engrish and generally scammy nature of the site, I'm expecting it to not be there

What's the best pmp for 500 dollars?

I'm looking for something with bluetooth support, a good amount of storage (around 128GB would be good) and good enough battery life that I won't have to charge it every single day, without modifications because I'm lazy and stupid.
Assuming money isn't a factor, what are my best options?
How do those options change if money does become a factor?

Forgot to mention I don't need that 128GB built in, so long as it's supported with a MicroSD

Personally I'd go with a Sony A50 series. They can transmit as well as receive Bluetooth audio, and up to 45 hours of advertised battery life.

>I'm looking for something with bluetooth support, a good amount of storage
> bluetooth
> in a PMP

YOU FUCKED UP
YOU HAVE GOT IT WRONG
YOU FUCKED UP

If you want BT just go use your phone ... its all lossy and you will get zero improvement over a phone and less convenience

reason people go PMP / DAP is suerior high resolution lossless formats like DSD and superior dicrete componetes and DACs delivering the best we can do over an electrical wire .....

I use a autismo DAP and i use lossy BT all day and i am happy... its all interchangeable and its all good good fun but there are bottlenecks ...you NEED TO KNOW YOUR APPLES FROM ORANGES

Attached: IMG_1888.jpg (3264x2448, 2.82M)

every thread, what is that DAP? It's not a fucking dragonfly, which is all google's shoddy image recognition can come up with

Attached: 1542792459129.jpg (377x167, 11K)

i have answered (You) many times about this. Its not a DAP its a Samsung Gearfit 2 smartwatch with 4gb internal storage and BT AAC. Sounds just as good as y iPhone8 plus...

its got a chink metal band thats why google image search will always turn up jack shiet

Attached: IMG_7304.jpg (3264x2448, 3.84M)

thanks, guess this is the first time I've seen the response before the tread 404'd.

Attached: 1541143574120.jpg (1000x1000, 109K)

Best player under 100$?

>Also I recently found out that although rockbox doesn't support anything higher that 16bit/44.1Khz (anything higher gets downsampled on the fly at the expense of battery life) the original ipod OS supports 24/48, but only with ALAC.
Source on that? You can set the output sample rate to 48KHz in Rockbox's audio settings. I don't see why it wouldn't support 24-bit either.

PIMP general

Fiio M3K

Post 4.
forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,43106.msg219102.html
But you're right about 48Khz playback being enabled in the settings.
download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch7.html#x9-1410007.20

I'm only interested in BT for using it in my car. 99% of its use will be with good IEMs.

Hey that’s my iPod! Thanks for reposting user :-)

What's the general consensus on the Fiio X1 II?

sansa clip
what do you guys think about this mp3?

Lovely, but that's an iPod Photo 4th gen, not a Video.
Why do I get the feeling you're the chink shill spreading FUD about the 5g?

Well fuck me sideways, it does truncate the bitrate down to 16-bit on everything.
forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=43020.0

Sorry for calling you a shill, I'm just tired of the actual shill spreading bullshit about the reliability of older players, namely iPods.

obsolete, buy Fiio or Shanling and enjoy

I can assure you I'm not a shill, that's my rockboxed and iflashed 5g in the first post in our convo.

Attached: IMG_20190903_151727.jpg (1920x1440, 529K)

I recently bought a new ruizu x19 because it was cheaper than a new sansa clip battery, and had more features than my old 1gb sansa clip. However, there are no rockbox ports for this platform. Are there any resources for finding out the chipset and what other firmwares are compatible with it? The stock firmware is in engrish so I can hardly understand it

Btw here is their store page, it seems to load firmware via a file with a ".fw" extension. Does rockbox or a comparable cfw have .fw versions?
ruizutek.com/X19.html

I don't see anything online about a cfw, sorry.

Sorry about that, this is my first time cracking mp3 players(beyond the depth of the rockbox gui tool)I meant a firmware patcher that could inject rockbox into a fw file(or is that not how it's done?). Also I just learned that ruizu is just an alias for agptek. If I figure out which player the x19 is a clone of, are there any firmwares that would be compatible to some degree?

agptek.com/index.php/product/agptek-b05-8gb-lossless-sound-mp3-playermetal-body1-8-inch-color-screen40-hours-playback-hd-sound-quality-headphonesupports-up-to-64gbblack/

If it helps, it looks extremely similar to this Chinese player.
amazon.com/MP3-Player-Bluetooth-Expandable-H29-Black/dp/B07Q5PJ3PM

will my 192kbps mp3s sound good on a dmp-z1r?

It's might be possible from a software perspective, the m3k uses a .FW for its updates. Hardware wise im not so sure.

hi. I got a new dap today.

Attached: IMG_20190904_103915-1512x1530.jpg (1512x1530, 258K)

Its the other way around agptek is the western brand for ruizu, and none of them are rockbox compatible as far as I know.
You can look for the firmware of the agptek one and use it in your ruizu, it usually fixes a lot of things.

Here is a pic of my Hidizs AP 60 just because

Attached: IMG_20190816_205308_1.jpg (3829x2282, 1.81M)

is there any way to figure out which agptke corresponds to a certain ruizu? they all look pretty much the same.

Are there any good batch conversion commands or programs to take care of all the Cover.jpg i have in each folder of my DAP's library? I really dont wanna do this shit manually

Attached: music.jpg (723x478, 84K)

Benjie BJ-T6 / AGPtek Rocker has a rockbox port.
rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=agptekrocker

Has rockbox been ported to the Ruizu x02?

How are you liking the AP 60? Currently looking for something around that range.

Sony have a few walkman options for you. I'm on the NWZ A15
>.flac support out the box
>bluetooth audio and file tranfer
>option to rockbox later if you're up for it
>50h battery life (new+wired audio, expect some drop off for aftermarket)

Downsides are: proprietary usb cable & EU versions have volume limitations

...outside of that no complaints

What are you trying to do exactly? Resize the covers? Convert to a different file type?

>EU versions have volume limitations
See OP
>Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series

Let us know how good it is user

I have Cover.jpg in all folders and most all of them are not recognized by rockbox, im trying to downscale to 300x300, maybe 500x500 if it'll work and in bmp format. jpg seems to have issues, or at least it always has for me

ok... that's really weird. I just turned on my mp3 player and it looks the same gui-wise as the AGPtek rocker, but it dosen't have bluetooth or physical volume up/down buttons on the side(which are quite redundant as the front dpad already has volume up/down), but other than that everything is verbatim between the 2 devices. Will it brick my ruizu to load in the other firmware?

For which pmp? My ipod has no problem displaying 240x240 jpgs. Anyway, give me a few minutes to write something up for you, I use irfanview to resize to everything and copy to a new destination, while keeping the same file structure.

Fiio M3k. I assume it's because the rockbox port is brand ass new for this player and it's probably got some bugs. Either way, i've got Infran so thanks user

Ah the Benjie T6, sadly is always a crapshot with those, they are excellent or shitty at least from what /csg/ told me.
nope
sadly no that I am aware, but most of them use a firmware similar to the x02 for what have I seen
Pretty good so far, my only complain is battery life I get like 10 hours wired (KZ KZN) and about 15 with BT, but its feel solid and the audio quality is great, no hissing or anything.

>open irfanview
>press B to enter batch conversion
>check "use advanced options for bulk resize". See 1
>enter the Advanced option. See 2
>change everything to pic related (or whatever image dimensions you want), hit OK
>go into the root music folder and (in explorer) search for folder.jpg/cover.bmp/whatever image file you want to convert, drag everything into the "input files" plane. See 4
>enter your file destination, preferably in another folder so you don't overwrite the original files and end with with tiny album art. See 5
>press "Start Batch", it will convert everything and drop it into the new folder, while preserving the original file structure
Then it's a matter of dropping your Music folder into the pmp where it will overwrite everything with the new resized pictures. Try it with a sample first, in case I fucked up any of the directions.

Attached: 1562506127641.png (1657x743, 206K)

Another thing, it's been a really long time since I've changed any of the default settings, but there is an option to set a file size in the output format options if you need it. The result of changing everything to a jpg@240x240px will result in files smaller than 20KB, typically, Some players require the size to be under 100KB.

Thanks for posting this but I'll outline my expirience for anyone else thinking about this:
Tried running sony dest tool, noticed very little difference between region codes on my UK device. Reset prefferences and device between region updates to make sure.

Still noticibly quieter than my samsung and fiio players but I eventually "fixed" the problem by changing to in ear headphones so I dont have to max out anymore.
I at one point thought rockbox might be the solution to the volume issue but I havent needed to test it yet.

Attached: DSC00478[1].jpg (1000x701, 122K)

Thanks for the write up help, user. I'm not sure with he m3k since stick fw displays any album art as long as it wasnt in any way originally webp, the rockbox port right now is displaying some embedded jpegs well over 100kb but anything non embed just isnt working so far. could be a bug, too.

Welcome to the hell of getting album art to load on on old players. Some players are more versatile than others but Non-progressive, Non-optimized, embedded, low resolution jpg with higher resolution cover.jpg seems to cover most bases.

On a similar note does anyone have any idea why a picture being picked up on my dap is entirely missing from foobars cover manager?

Attached: Untitled-2.png (776x992, 325K)

That's a result of a music player, usually WMP, creating hidden files that can't be seen normally, even if you have it checked in Explorer. Save this as a batch file and run it.
attrib -h -s *.* /s
del /s albumart*.jpg
del /s desktop.ini

thanks.

The Benjie runs a version of the Hiby OS. It’s really widespread through chinese DAP’s. Chances are the Rockbox firmware won’t work though, since it’s tailored to each player. I imagine it would be possible to tweak it to work if you knew how but I honestly don’t have a clue how to do that.

it's... a bit overkill.
i...
my head hurts.

Attached: IMG_20190904_123112-1512x2016.jpg (1512x2016, 412K)

are there any native english packs for hiby? the version I have is borderline unreadable chinglish