Any automation techs on at the moment...

Any automation techs on at the moment. Boss is freaking out that a set of discreet DC sensors needs to be hooked up by morning. Yet the inputs he named off are on an AC input card. We have no DC sink cards at the plant. What do?

Attached: download.jpg (101x224, 6K)

tell this to your boss ffs

Yup kinda already did. "We'll figure it out!!" Was his response. Sure bruh let me just shit out the proper parts

Speak to your supplier or your sales rep and find out where they have the correct part.
If its fairly local drive and collect the part.
Or pay for rush shipping, shipping might be more that the part but you will get it quick.

this

though if it's a SLC like the one in the pic quick turnaround places like rexel etc. might not have it since that shit's EOL. Usually in situations like these the plant may have saved some somewhere (in a crap closet/attic where the techs sit, sitting in the bottom of a panel, etc.) You might be able to shop around on another system sitting in the plant somewhere that may have a spare lying in the control cabinet (or in some decommissioned equipment/cabinets) you can use to hold you over until the replacement comes in.

also keep this situation in mind when the plant is replacing older equipment and ready to toss the old stuff into the garbage. save drives, I/O cards, sensors, etc. in the office or in your garage because it can save your ass

He's convinced it will work. Ranting and whatnot about to just hook terminate them and show him what happens

that sounds like a great way to burn out all of your 24v shit

do you have any method for communicating with a remote rack (DataHighway, RIO, Ethernet)? it's dumb as shit but you could install a second rack type like flex or something and pull the information back in if you happen to have the correct parts on hand

or if your 24V device can sink enough current (probably can't) get some control relays and fire a dry contact with the 120V on it using the sensor as an input

really the best option is to let him take the hit for his fuckup in ordering parts and order the correct card instead of putting some hackjob shit in

automation fag here.
this:
>that sounds like a great way to burn out all of your 24v shit

if you're working for a big enough company and/or project there should be enough resources to make the stuff properly with the corresponding parts as it should be done.

There's no way a AC input card detects DC signals. That's why the sold them by the type of signal they admit. UNLESS there's a way to configure the card to accept the DC signal input somehow. At least i know there's a way to configure analog input cards to accept 4-20mA current loop signals, 0-24V, 0-10V, and so on.

If you boss keeps thinking it will work despite all your efforts trying to explain the shit, try to make you sales rep talk (email) to him explaining all that.

Finally if the motherfucker is stubborn enough to not get what he is being told, start looking job somewhere else.

also another sourcing alternative that is available is searching on Ebay for some nerd selling one that is local to you and offers in-person pickup. IIRC used 1746-IB16s/fully stocked 1746 racks are pretty plentiful on ebay for $20-100 so the odds one might be near you are decent

cont. The worst that can happen is to burn some input pins of the card you're using, if not the whole card.

If nothing burns it's highly probable that it won't work, and if for some miracle it works, i think it will not last too long.

What plc are you using? input card part number?

Another thing you can do is use some relays as interface to convert the dc input to AC and then use it as the card input signals.

Nope not enough to pull the relays I've been gone scavenging parts. Found some NPN sensing relays nothing for the PNP sensors I have

It just won't work. There's no way the signal will fire the input card. I tried looking for relays etc. The dumbshit had 4 months to plan the job but waited until the final week to start ordering shit. International company multi-billion dollar yet can't get the right parts. Seriously like a 1hr job that's just turning into a headache.

It's an allen bradley 1746-1A16

the information I was given passed on through email. Went to look at prox switches noted voltage and type. Went to cabinet found some spare terminals then to the rack and started cussing

Attached: Screenshot_20190903-032338.png (760x311, 19K)

SLC 500 , 1746-1A16

>The dumbshit had 4 months to plan the job but waited until the final week to start ordering shit. International company multi-billion dollar yet can't get the right parts.

This shit is so fucking common. How long have you been working in the industry? I remember this case and similar ones at my first job and it was so frustrating, with time you'll get used to it, and also you will be aware of the possible stupid-errors that may happen. Let me help you with a diagram that you can use to interface the signals. In some minutes i'll upload it, please be patient, i have autism.

Mind you rushing this project put another technician in the hospital and nearly killed him. With the old "if you won't do it we'll find someone who will" needless to say I have a job interview Thursday.

17 years. I've never seen anything like it. Save one facility in so-cal but the former guy was taking bribes instead of ordering so my entire supply area consisted of three 100 amp fuses...

from which country? i'm asking just for curiosity. This kind of problems where so fucking common where i used to work. Clients are idiots, as much as managers. you should be aware of that, and bitch about every damn inconsistency the supply can give you.

You can wire pnp sensors to npn relays.
You can't actually get an npn relay they all have a positive and negative leg. Connect the output wire of the sensor (normally black) to the + leg of the relay

I'm an industrial electrician / automation tech that owns a machinery business.
Ab, omron, Siemens, Mitsubishi, abb etc I have fiddled with them all.

Ab sucks more than most

You seriously don't have three spare 24v inputs in 8 racks?

Here, in pic related you have an example of how to conditionate a DC voltage signal to AC. I'm assuming that the sensor gives you 24V DC when activated. If not, and the sensor only closes a contact, you just should use a 24V DC source in series with the sensor and proceed as the image.

Attached: relay interface AC DC.png (1190x529, 436K)

Nope.

Good ol USA

They don't have nice things here ... Ha. I already looked for relays nada zip zilch. Checked for 24vdc contactors. All 110v coils

These were both me and I just wanted to add that only retards use 110 or 240v control voltage, there is zero reason to do so and it is dangerous. People who drive solenoids with plc outputs are also retards, always use a relay and always protect it with a diode.

BTW what is an ecoater?

What's the sensor? Is it 3 wire or 4 wire
Part no?

mhmm too bad. that's like the best solution you can get without using some alien shit and by a reasonable cost.

Is there any chance they will hire a foreigner? lol, i'm actually looking for a new job.

It's a powder coat primer. Pretty neat. Chemical treatment then into a paint tank charged by massive anodes making the crystalline structure stick to metal. I won't say what company but their favorite color is green... And country singers love them

please tell me it isn't SE, lol

Ifm
OID200
4 wire

Nope lol. Their mascot is a ruminant

ok i don't know then, if it were SE i have worked in some projects with them and they are like, well, shit. Solicited parts delivered with months of delay, incorrect engineering, not a substancial idea of what they do, just procured to sell as much shit as they can, ugh, those where stupid frustrating time.

Anyway, user, get some 24VDC relays somehow and follow the pic I posted. You can't do miracles in industry, specially when you're in working in site, just a correct planification and execution.

Pretty much this, if you couldn't steal some relays from somewhere I would be shocked

Yup pretty much decided to twiddle my thumbs. There are 5 different electrical suppliers in town if they can't get my parts list by tonight I'm bringing a pillow.