Friendly reminder: Linux is only free

if your time is worthless.

Attached: waste of time.png (1075x225, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus#Limitations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>japanese hentai game
>worthwhile

It's the reason why japs won't into GAHNOO

says the degenerate weeb faggot who plays hentai games.

Have you used linux? If not, then go try because clearly you're time is worthless too.

I don't play erotic computer games, or any computer games for that matter. However it's a perfect example of my point.

In Windows, shit just werks.
In Linux you have to do all this autistic time-consuming configuration just to do simple tasks. All this hackerman shit. This is why normies will NEVER care about Linux. Most people have lives and they want shit that just werks. They want tools that make their lives easier, not harder.

Attached: 1565023449783.jpg (1024x768, 135K)

That OP was given many excellent solutions. OP was just a stubborn brainlet.

>japanese hentai game
>normies
Try again

This, although you shouldn't be using Windows 7 because it's outdated crap.

Also Windows and MacOS both "just werk". So choose either based on personal preference.

Or choose Linux, there's nothing wrong with that, and Linux is great for many situations, particularly servers. But don't be a Linux user who pretends to not understand why normal people don't use it.

I use Linux and macOS. In my experience, it's Windows that never "just werk".

Not OP here, and I despise weeb shit and everything associated with it, but the freetards on this board are almost always weebs (see any desktop thread), so it's a bit odd that you guys claim to be freetards and claim to not be weebs.

I don't think it's a coincidence that freetards and weebs are usually the same people because both interests are clearly the result of the same sort of autism.

If you're playing hentai games, I doubt your time isn't worthless.

>but the freetards on this board are almost always weebs (see any desktop thread)
You confuse "freetards" with ricer faggots. I use Gnome with the default theme and background, therefore I never post in desktop threads either.

I only started watching anime a few months ago and only a little basic bitch stuff. Been on Jow Forums much longer. IRL friends are the reason I'm watching.

I use Linux and I've never seen an anime.

This is such a dumb """argument""". For 99% of use cases for normies, i.e. internet and email, a Linux distro such as Ubuntu or Mint will just werk withuot any additional configuration.
Also owning or using anything has some kind of an overhead cost, not just Linux. If your local store decided to give out free TVs, I guess OP would sperg out about them not being really free, since you have to spend your time to go pick it up.

Consider making these cope/"troll" threads on /b/ instead. Proprietary software is only worthwhile for those who hand their asses out for free.

Attached: 1339818515824.gif (300x232, 453K)

The weird thing about OP's post is I got an japenase hentai game working on arch linux quickly. Granted, I installed wine and the audio wasn't working ( i forgot to get the audio drivers for that) but than it just works flawlessly.

Not only that, but it's an RPG maker game. Almost all of japenase hentai games are rpg maker base, since it's so easy to develop for it.

Game is called imperial gatekeeper. It's bascially subpar paper's please but with boobs

Attached: Imperial Gatekeeper.png (1920x1080, 762K)

People play videogames only if their time is worthless.

>For 99% of use cases for normies, i.e. internet and email, a Linux distro such as Ubuntu or Mint will just werk withuot any additional configuration.
Until they want to use Microsoft Office, because Libre shit isn't fully compatible
Until they want to use software for some hardware they've bought (e.g. printing / scanning software, or Samsung's DeX software for their phones which works on Windows and Mac, etc.)
Until they want to play the odd game
Until they need to troubleshoot something on their computer and the answers online are telling them to use a fucking command line

The only people who could possibly believe that Linux is better for those who aren't into computers are shut-ins. Anyone who has actually lived in the real world would never be so stupid.

That's some extremely specific usecases, nice projection faggot. When you say 99% of people, you really just mean yourself.

did you just screenshot a thread thats currently active on Jow Forums literally as we speak

Yes OP did

is this the dedicated lincuck tears thread

I don't know the exact proportion, but something like 80% of people use linux every day on their smartphones. It's more than Windows users.

Sorry, but Windows lost the bigger war.

Pay to use software is only expensive because the manufacturers of the software do not value your time at all

That's a thread specifically about WINE
This is about Lincux in general

not to mention the fact that almost all backend software (websites and the like) run on linux.

Anyone who implies that windows is even in the same league as linux is just some salty gamer retard.

And those work only because Windows got a larger adoption since it delivered features (back then) faster than Linux did. However, Linux is capable of doing any stuff, given there are people dedicates for supporting those applications, that Windows can do, but sheeple don't do anything because "iT jUsT wErKs". I just hope one day Microsoft fucks up so hard that Linux will be the main driver for everybody.

This, except Windows 7 is fine and you should use it

>In Linux you have to do all this autistic time-consuming configuration just to do simple tasks.
Except that you don't. Running closed software designed for a completely different, closed system, on an OS that was never meant to run it is difficult, sure. Its hard on OSX or Windows too. If you need software that doesn't support your OS you should change your OS or software, its that simple.

Why are you like this

Enjoy your 50 hour work weeks wagie

>PEBKAC
just follow the official instructions on the wine webpage.

Because I respect the original sentiment of that thread and did not wish to hijack said thread.

>hurr durr just research x and find y and follow z
I'm not the OP of the thread in my pic, I don't play game, but this is exactly what I mean.
Normies are busy with work and kids and stuff. They don't have time to have to research solutions for for problems just to do basic things that just werk on Windows.

except even without Windows emulation, Lincux is still like that.
>want to install some software? you can download it and run it, you have to type hacker shit in the command line
>you don't know the hacker shit to type? hurr durr well research and learn it faggot, git gud
>ok so you took the time to learn it and now you know the leet hacker shit to type in the command prompt. so do it for the software and it'll be easy, right?
>lol no, u don't have da repository, faggit! you have to add da repository
>how do you do that? lol research and figure it out, dumbo. git gud!
>ok so you added da respository and now you type the hacker shit in the cli to download and install it. cool. you've got it now!
>excrept a few minutes into the use of the program you get errors. how come, shouldn't the software just werk now? lol no, half the features don't work out of the box, you need these dependencies lol. how do you get and install the dependencies? hahaha well you see....
etc

You tell me what normal person, i.e. not a virgin obese basement dweller, has time for that shit.

Attached: 1564336294944.gif (500x373, 1020K)

>MS Office is an "extremely specific use case"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: laughing at you.jpg (1600x1063, 168K)

This is also my experience, though I use GNU instead of Android.

MS Office is written on GNU machines, you retard.

>If you need software that doesn't support your OS you should change your OS
Exactly, to something that isn't Linux. Glad you've finally learnt this.

No, the extremely specific use case is
>I CAN ONLY USE MS OFFICE THE ONE THAT'S INSTALLED ON MY DESKTOP COMPUTER, OFFICE 365 IS NOT ALLOWED, GOOGLE DOCS IS NOT ALLOWED!!!

Stop moving the goal post, you're making arbitrary fictive use cases to justify using a shit OS.

Linux is a kernel, not an OS.

Regardless of whether that's true or not (why the fuck wouldn't it be written on Windows machines?), what bearing exactly does that have on an end user?

Attached: brainlet11.jpg (645x729, 77K)

>why the fuck wouldn't it be written on Windows machines?
Microsoft developers don't use Windows. It just isn't good enough for programmers. Sorry.

You desperately need to go outside and interact with normal people.

You as well.

Attached: laugh.jpg (1000x667, 81K)

yeah, because there are totally 0 software stores on any linux distro.
1 click .exe like appimages totally don't exist either.

What bearing does it have on an end user to use Google docs instead or office 365? The premise that it absolutely MUST be the desktop application is extremely specific, as originally stated. It's almost like you're constructing use cases and pretending that they are somehow representative in any way. 20-40% of PC users today use mac, I'm willing to bet that a minority of those use MS Office for Mac.

>No argument
I'm not surprised. This is Windows users in a nutshell, they desperately cling on to arguments that maybe was true 20 years ago but isn't today.

We're talking about a suite of Windows applications which makes me think they would probably develop this software on Windows.

>he's bringing up how good Windows is for development when the discussion was about use for, and I quote, "99% of normies"
You are too stupid to have this conversation, or indeed any conversation. I suggest you leave this board forever, and don't come back.

Attached: brainlet4.jpg (550x543, 30K)

Dude fuck off. I'm having a perfectly stable no maintenance experience because I'm using stable packages and not some faggot LARPer Arch bullshit. What's the purpose of making all these threads if you're not actually a Microsoft marketer? If you value your time, why are you on Jow Forums of all places trying to tell others how to live their lives?

Attached: 1562505549813.gif (500x375, 283K)

>changing the subject
You're too dense for rational thought.

>he thinks denying facts is the basis for any rational discussion
You're too stupid for this discussion.

The funny part is, I'm not a Windows user. Sorry to burst your straw man bubble you fucking dense cunt.

>Still no argument
Explain to me how "I'm REQUIRED to use Oiffce desktop installation" is not an extremely specific usecase.

>everyone who doesn't use Linux must be using Windows!
Why are so many people in this thread so fucking stupid?
>paedophilic japanese cartoons
Ah, that would explain it. Severe mental retardation.

>no u 2 stoopid
Great non-argument there.

>he thinks denying facts is the basis for any rational discussion
Go away, you fucking imbecile.

>>want to install some software? you can download it and run it, you have to type hacker shit in the command line
>>you don't know the hacker shit to type? hurr durr well research and learn it faggot, git gud
>>ok so you took the time to learn it and now you know the leet hacker shit to type in the command prompt. so do it for the software and it'll be easy, right?
>>lol no, u don't have da repository, faggit! you have to add da repository
>>how do you do that? lol research and figure it out, dumbo. git gud!
>>ok so you added da respository and now you type the hacker shit in the cli to download and install it. cool. you've got it now!
>>excrept a few minutes into the use of the program you get errors. how come, shouldn't the software just werk now? lol no, half the features don't work out of the box, you need these dependencies lol. how do you get and install the dependencies? hahaha well you see....
>etc
You never used linux or you are retarded

How am I denying facts? A minority of people with PCs use an office suite at all, that's a literal fact. And many of them are fully content with Google docs or whatever macOS has. The reliance on MS Office is completely imaginary on your part.

t. /v/edditor
Nice wojak, moron.

>learning about how your own OS works is bad
absolutely bluepilled

Imagine being this retarded.
I'm out. This isn't fruitful. Enjoy your cognitive deficiency.

>Because they're Windows and OSX users.
OS 10 is just Unix.

OSX is a proprietary FreeBSD with the worst filesystem that has ever been invented and locked to proprietary shitty hardware that breaks constantly and costs thousands of dollars to replace at minimum. You're better off unironically using FreeBSD because at least you can get ZFS and a real ports tree without just mooching off pkgsrc and praying it works.

Denying facts isn't an argument, changing the subject isn't an argument.

You lost, fuck off.

Pretending to be retarded to be spew bullshit and pointless flame war. Nobody is this retarded for sure. Low quality baits these days!

Windows: You have to go to 10 retarded sites to download the program you need, then unpack it, then install it

Literally any Linux distro: you type one command to download and install the program from your packet manager.

It is the most braindead thing you can do. On fedora its dnf install . Wow it sure is fucking haxx0rz l33t, you literally have to type "install" in the command line, then press "y" button on your keyboard. And you have your program. You can run it.

>OSX is a proprietary FreeBSD
No. Firstly, it isn't proprietary. Only Aqua is, and it isn't integral to the OS. Secondly, OS 10 is based on NeXTStep, which predates FreeBSD by half a decade. NeXTStep used XNU as its kernel, as does OS 10. It is based on Mach and the BSD kernel (BSD4.3). This has nothing to do with FreeBSD. So get your facts straight. I don't see how HFS+ and APFS are any worse than exFAT, ext4, or NTFS either. They're clearly better.
>hardware
Funny how the ADS sufferers always resort to this. We are talking about software, not hardware.

Hey freetards. Come back to me when Linux has over 90% desktop market share. The closest thing is Chrome OS which just shows you that you need a company where employees' livelihoods depend on making a good product if you want something that is best for the average consumer. Just like you wouldn't buy a car made for free by an enthusiast unless you were yourself an enthusiast and wanted to spend a fuckton of time troubleshooting. And this would apply to any other kind of product.

I swear to fucking God this website gets dumber and dumber every single fucking day.

Attached: brainlets.png (1066x600, 276K)

Take your stale memes back to /v/ where you belong, prakesh.

Imagine moving the goalpost this much and starting ranting about freetards when asked for facts that support his position.

I did neither you fucking cocksucker. I asked for proof that "hurr durr you must use desktop verison of ms office" is anything but an EXTREMELY narrow use case and you have not provided a single shred of evidence, except brainlet reaction pics. KYS.

Snap/Flatpak would have fixed this.

Attached: damage-controll1.jpg (627x497, 48K)

>No. Firstly, it isn't proprietary
Try doing anything useful with Darwin. I'll wait.
>OS 10 is based on NeXTStep, which predates FreeBSD by half a decade
Yes, but most of the code it's implemented since then has been ripped straight form FreeBSD.
>I don't see how HFS+ and APFS are any worse than exFAT, ext4, or NTFS either.
I love how every filesystem you copared them to except ext4 is irredeemable dogshit, and the lowest common denominator out of all filesystems used today.
>Funny how the ADS sufferers always resort to this.
You have to use their shit hardware if you want to use their OS unless you build a niggerrigged mackintosh.
>I swear to fucking God this website gets dumber and dumber every single fucking day.
Thanks to newfags like you. Lurk moar.

Attached: 1567452127773.jpg (645x500, 62K)

How desperate for attention are you /v/ermin? Now piss off.

Attached: bait.png (680x1147, 916K)

Can you prove that it isn't? Without using memes, thank you.

>Try doing anything useful with Darwin. I'll wait.
Doesn't change the fact that the majority of OS 10 is not proprietary.
>Yes, but most of the code it's implemented since then has been ripped straight form FreeBSD.
No, not at all. Why do you think that?
>I love how every filesystem you copared them to except ext4 is irredeemable dogshit, and the lowest common denominator out of all filesystems used today.
Epic non-answer.
>You have to use their shit hardware if you want to use their OS unless you build a niggerrigged mackintosh.
Doesn't change the fact that it is irrelevant to a discussion of software.

Now, go back to /v/.

Attached: you.gif (480x238, 443K)

We have a thread about a live thread. Please close this websight already.

Attached: backinthedays.jpg (470x600, 52K)

>Doesn't change the fact that the majority of OS 10 is not proprietary.
You don't know what they're changing when they give you their spyware ridden builds of OSX. It is 100% proprietary in the same way that Chrome is.
>No, not at all. Why do you think that?
Even actual unironic Macfags are willing to admit this. Why so stubborn?
>Doesn't change the fact that it is irrelevant to a discussion of software.
>Epic non-answer.
It's a very real answer. If you want to talk about good filesystems you'd be bringing up enterprise grade filesystems, not NTFS which would be the worst mainstream FS if not for Apple.
This isn't a discussion about software, it's a discussion about free time being wasted. Replacing all your shit when Apple refuses to do data recovery is one hell of a way to waste your free time..

Attached: NqQoPg.gif (320x240, 986K)

>You don't know what they're changing when they give you their spyware ridden builds of OSX. It is 100% proprietary in the same way that Chrome is.
Yes you do, just check their website.
>Even actual unironic Macfags are willing to admit this. Why so stubborn?
Because you're wrong. It's a stupid meme than conflates the original BSD Unix with FreeBSD. Learn your history.
>It's a very real answer. If you want to talk about good filesystems you'd be bringing up enterprise grade filesystems, not NTFS which would be the worst mainstream FS if not for Apple.
You still haven't answered how the Apple FSs are worse, kid.

>no arguments
>denying straight up facts as if it's an argument
There is no basis on which rational discussion can be had when people deny straight facts and use ad hominem.

Pathetic.

I can't refute an argument when you still haven't made any. All you made is a bunch of greentext, insults and memes. None of those counts as facts, none of those counts as arguments. Please prove that MS office is something more than a specific use case.

>Yes you do, just check their website.
Good point, multinational corporations would never lie.
>Because you're wrong. It's a stupid meme than conflates the original BSD Unix with FreeBSD. Learn your history.
I'm well aware of my history regarding the subject. I'm a NeXTfag myself. The vast majority of 3rd party code implemented in OSX in the past decade has been from FreeBSD. They are structurally similar systems with a similar lineage so it's not exactly difficult with some retooling.
>unironically defending apple's filesystem
I'll just leave this here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus#Limitations

>Good point, multinational corporations would never lie.
Go compile the source yourself and check it against your system. Not hard to do.
>The vast majority of 3rd party code implemented in OSX in the past decade has been from FreeBSD
Show me, then.
>I'll just leave this here
Stop dodging. Just answer.

Retard. You literally used ad hominems in your baits.
>freetards
>hur dur this site gets dumber every day U GUYS DUMMB!!!11!1

Can you now fuck off with those baits? It is a polite request. You achieve nothing.

>Go compile the source yourself and check it against your system.
Give me the sources then buddy!
>Stop dodging. Just answer.
I'm providing you with very detailed citations. If you're too stupid to read, I'll at least spoonfeed you one major freebie, it doesn't even support checksums or UNIX time.

Attached: 1567477787950.jpg (960x960, 190K)

>Give me the sources then buddy!
opensource.apple.com
>I'm providing you with very detailed citations
No you aren't. You're not comparing either FS to the ones I mentioned. You're just being an idiot.

Good to see you've dropped the second point. Now go sit in the corner and think about what you've done, boy.

Just updated my windows 10 - outlook is now broken. Fuck you and your productive just weerks bullshit

>le apple is open source meme
No they aren't lmfao. They just use a few open source tools, which is normal, everyone does.

>No they aren't lmfao. They just use a few open source tools, which is normal, everyone does.
Besides Aqua what are you referring to as non-free?

>opensource.apple.com
so a teeny tiny fraction of the userland. Alright, thanks bud.
>No you aren't. You're not comparing either FS to the ones I mentioned.
Every single filesystem you mentioned at least has checksum features. This is one of the main problem with Apple's shit. Even NTFS has it.
>Good to see you've dropped the second point. Now go sit in the corner and think about what you've done, boy.
There's no reason to even bother with you anymore because you're just going to brush it off like you did with the elaborate article on the problems with Apple's filesystem. This shit is common knowledge and there's a good reason people post the endless onslaught of Apple memes they do in the anti-BSD threads.

Attached: bill hicks.png (1092x717, 566K)

ipods iphones lighting chargers the gpu firmware ssd firmware basically all of it.

Reminder that Linux is just a kernel.

sauce

>so a teeny tiny fraction of the userland. Alright, thanks bud.
Oh yeah, XNU and Darwin? Who cares, right? Tell me, are you retarded?
>Every single filesystem you mentioned at least has checksum features. This is one of the main problem with Apple's shit. Even NTFS has it.
Is that all you've got?
>There's no reason to even bother with you anymore because you're just going to brush it off like you did with the elaborate article on the problems with Apple's filesystem. This shit is common knowledge and there's a good reason people post the endless onslaught of Apple memes they do in the anti-BSD threads.
If it's so common it shouldn't be hard to find literally any evidence, right? Stupid liar.
iOS is Darwin, which is free. So please stop being stupid.

>iOS is Darwin
LMFAO
no, it isn't.

Yes, yes it is. God you are a moron.

>Oh yeah, XNU and Darwin? Who cares, right? Tell me, are you retarded?
Good luck running anything on Darwin that wasn't explicitly ported to it.
>Is that all you've got?
Why are you acting like this isn't a MAJOR MAJOR problem if you care about your data?
>If it's so common it shouldn't be hard to find literally any evidence, right? Stupid liar.
Because OSX is closed source, it's hard to prove 100%, but let's be honest, if every other company is doing it, why wouldn't the biggest desktop UNIX OS do it as well? On top of that plenty of drivers and some fragments of userland are measurable available in OSX that have been stolen straight from FreeBSD. Hell, tons of the shit you linked int he open source dump comes DIRECTLY from FreeBSD and some stuff even from GNU.

Attached: 1567045824834.gif (700x700, 96K)

oniouse troll thread but seriously just fuck wine, if you really need to run some windows shit, apin up a windows qemu virtual machine. I just dd'd my old windows install into a .img file don't need to restart to hop os, and the vm can be configured with passthrough.
If you need extra convincing linux is saving you time, you're probably not in it's target workload. which is basically programming or sysadmin bullshit.

>Good luck running anything on Darwin that wasn't explicitly ported to it.
Another dodge. Why can't you stay in the one place and defend a point?
>Why are you acting like this isn't a MAJOR MAJOR problem if you care about your data?
It isn't.
>Because OSX is closed source
Define OS 10, then. Because what I would call OS 10 is free software.
>Hell, tons of the shit you linked int he open source dump comes DIRECTLY from FreeBSD and some stuff even from GNU.
Such as?

>It isn't.
I'm not giving (You) anymore (You)s. You've either trolled me good or you're just that stupid. I hope your hard drive fails beyond recovery and all your gay porn is lost to time.

Just more memes and dodging. All ADS sufferers are charlatans.

teh website broke?