/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards
>Great durability (excl L and E series)
>Utilitarian design
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Most models are easy to repair, upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model and spare parts are easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, easier to use when typing
>Good for Hackintoshing

Models before *40 series can be Corebooted

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available for a good price, socketed CPU (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Chink Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, miniDP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: boomer_thinkpad.jpg (4160x3120, 3.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4sAeslM74U8
youtube.com/watch?v=zbrW7uUYpkw
omnicharge.co/products/omni-20/
ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-THINKPAD-T440p-14-i5-2-6GHz-8GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-WEBCAM-BT-/233304009153?nav=SEARCH
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's now 3 general threads. Good job, you idiot.

You seem to have forgotten where you are. Retard haven

what quad core did you use? i7-47xx or i7-48xx?

If I get this job I'm intervieweing for should I set aside $200 every month in my budget to buy a T420?

Ordered an x395 today. Was wondering if the type C charging port can be used with a USB-C hub that will charge it as well as add HDMI/USB/LAN ports

Yes.

It will

Thinking about some of the new X models. X390 looks nice. Without Yoga. Any thoughts?

Not sure if here is where to ask, but looking for a laptop for school. Would like to have the ability to run some basic games like cuphead, csgo, hotline Miami, etc. But other than that basic school work, excel spreadsheets, etc. Not sure what to look for and what is a good price. My problem is when it gets to the point where I think something looks good, it's in the $1000+ range which at that point I figure I could just build a new PC

>build a new PC
Do that instead.

I mean, my current pc is still working well, but if getting a laptop is not worth it I will probably do that, if that's the case any suggestions for the cheapest laptop that can handle microsoft office i.e. excel, powerpoint etc. and do other basic things like stream, preferably around the $500 or lower range? The cheaper the better, just means more $$ saved that can go towards upgrades/new pc build/ savings

get a t480 or t480s

2 part question

1. Are any of the thinkpad pens worth a damn for notes and or sketching on.the go.

2. Anyone have or try one of the thinkpad chromebooks, they look fun and are stupidly cheap on ebay.

why would u want that many?

Question? What is the most powerfull thinkpads that can run libreboot?

Also what is coreboot? BTW, pic is the thinkpad of camera, imhomo

Attached: ZPR-fuji-x100f-front-left-silver.jpg (1024x693, 144K)

Thiccpads be thicc pentesting edition
What are you using your thiccpads for?

Attached: 1567546545890.jpg (1575x2800, 1.58M)

Are there any deal breakers to worry about when getting a T480? Seems to fit my needs but I wanna make sure

hey fags find me something under 70 USD

So I can have enough thinkpads to last me a lifetime

youtube.com/watch?v=4sAeslM74U8

probably a t410 or t420

Dunno if anyone will help me.

I want a Thinkpad for Uni.
I need something that can hold two or three VMs at the same time (server and clients), but I want it to be as lightweight as possible.

I probably need at least 16GB of RAM and an upgradable option for both RAM and disk drive.

Also I prefer smaller laptops (between 13'' and 15'' is fine).

What should I go for? I would pay up to 1200€ for one.

Hey fellas, I'm looking at a t440s for about 300$CAD, reasonable deal?

It's off ebay, used, light wear and tear.

lmk if you want additional details.

Thanks.

Used P50 or P51.
That's alright if the screen is FHD and has at least 8GB RAM.

Hey, CS:GO is surprisingly gpu heavy, I was surprised to find that(I used to play a lot of CS:S which could run on any average pc at the time)
Cuphead and hotline miami will be much easier to accomodate.

You should look for something second hand if you want to play vidya, best bang for your buck.
lol
"14 HD+ anti-glare (1600 x 900)" sounds HD enough, but idfk much about monitors.

That screen's pretty shit and a FHD one is another $70USD.

Is it bad enough that it would be a horrible experience to use, or just not ideal? desu as long as it's like 7/10 I'm fine with a mediocre screen.

x200, x201 or x220 ?

Anything older than 220 is wasted money
Even the x220 is practically obsolete if you care about mobility and have more money

Why the fuck does Lenovo insist on putting trackpoints on Thinkpad laptops when the trackpoint has been useless for decades now? The recent X390 still has the stupid nipple when they should have made a better and larger touchpad instead.

HP and Dell still have them too on their nonshit machines. There's clearly some demand for it.

>using zenmap instead of a CLI
Based

>Used P50 or P51.
Will look for it, thank you

Thank you, im actually leanrning bou kali linux, recently i started getting around msfconsole

Whats the best thinkpad for /sec/ reasons? Assume a trial run of a completely secure laptop

Notebooks are supposed to be crippled shit. If you don't need mobility, build a PC for performance and buy a cheap Thinkpad for portability. Doing everything with one machine is limiting! I have a P52/Xeon/70GB RAM but bought it because I like VMs and overkill. I'll still never give up my desktop.

Fun until the internet needs 128GB per browser Windo then your pile will be as relevant as my T61 fleet.

There is a big difference between 1066 and 1333mhz for ram ?

Yeah you are right, any good cheap recommendations for a basic office/excel/netflix laptop? I dont know much about secondhand laptops or laptops in general, I've always stuck to desktop minus a macbook I had 10 years ago in hs

I found a T430 for $290, T440p for $330, and a T440p with an i7 and 12GB ram for $430, all refurbished

You should be aware that laptop panels degrade over time; you will need to be ready to replace their polarizer filters.
Watch this fully, to understand the problem: the keywords for it are "vinegar syndrome".
youtube.com/watch?v=zbrW7uUYpkw
You often find very old ThinkPads with this problem. If it is not the lamp, it might be this.
Replacement of a damaged polarizer filter is essential to fix old panels, together with LED strips or CCFL lamps.

Trying to game on a laptop is what throws off your budget. I personally would recommend gaming on a dedicated device if you are that driven to play game on the go. Buy a psp, ipad, or nintendo handheld.

What is your total budget? You can get a solid laptop for around ~400. either a decked up t440p, or you can buy a 2012 macbook pro-those are pretty awesome with upgradeable ram and harddrive. downside is the screen, but it has the current mac os. I would buy a solid laptop, and game on a different device.

why are you shilling this video so hard?

probably a pre-blob laptop with core 2. IDK if libreboot of the other open source firmwares get rid of that shit. I wonder how deep you need to go before CIA niggers are remotely booting up your bios or whatever.

i was thinking of trying for a tx10 line, or maybe even a t60.

why are t60's so expensive?

Yeah, I responded before at this point I just want a school laptop for excel and basic things, dropped gaming, what specs should I be looking for a T440p, I found a i7, 12GB ram, 512 SSD and I assume a 1366x768 resolution screen for $430 refurbished, or for $330 it is an i5 with 8GB ram refurbished

I bought a t440p on ebay for $125. There are differences between serial numbers. You can upgrade the processor, so you will probably save money buying a i5 and putting in your own i7. These laptops had models with dedicated graphics, 730 graphics or something like that. It is respectable for it's age. However, it doesn't play nice with linux or mac os.

I have a totally decked out 440p and it was around $400. You can get an awesome screen off ebay for like $40 bucks or so.

Okay and is it pretty easy to work on, etc? I dont need to be able to solder or anything right? Sorry new to this, that price was from microcenter near me refurbished but if I can find on Ebay for around $100 do you think it will be easy enough/worth? If so I assume it cant be much harder than building a PC, adult legos

Also sorry for asking a bunch if questions, just dont want to buy a beater for $100/not know how to upgrade or fix it and it be useless to me then end up just getting the $400 one anyways or be better off getting a shitty $500 new Dell laptop. Want to get as much info before I decide

I'm not sure, and I hate this.
15" 4:3 is the ultimate form factor.

Where did you find these?

Microcenter
Only the last one had a i7 and 12GB ram, the other two were i5s with 8GB ram

everything is pretty simple to replace on a t440p. The hardest thing to replace is the trackpad. The screen is very easy to replace. Seriously consider a 2012 mac pro. I use one with a dual core i7 and it does everything I need it to, and mac os is pretty kickass.

I asked in the sqt and everyone ignored me, but i guess this is a good place to ask. I bought a ddr3 ram 1.5v and wanted to put it into my t450. Now it seems it's incompatible seems like it needs exclusively ddr3l at 1.3v. My question is: if it's possible to use the RAM i bought and of it isn't there is a harm leaving in the socket while i sell it or put it in n another machine?

that's not a bad deal if you don't want to work on it yourself.

Well I have a 2012 macbook pro but my Screen is cracked and Harddrive failed. I never tried to find a replacement screen and didnt know how easy a HDD replacement on mac would be. I was quoted $900 by apple which I know is bs

Yeah I think I may do that, and just upgrade the screen, I will go in store and check them out if they have them at my local microcenter

>pentesting
based

T440p owners, any of you changed the WiFi card and didn't mod the BIOS? There's this T440p guide that says BIOS version 2.32 didn't have the whitelist. I'm on 2.22 so I'm wondering if he's memeing or if it's real. Not having AC sucks and I wanna change it without fucking around with coreboot because I have no idea how to do it, both hardware and software. Thank you.

T440p with a 4980HQ off taobao.

Don't do it doesn't fucking work, I tried it myself. From 2.32-2.35 there is no such bug that bypasses the whitelist, it only applies for the T440/s models.

Don't even consider x201 first gen I series are shit.

Because every hipster thinks like you.

Assuming non retina model, HDD is easy, just 10 screws for the bottom cover and another 2 to remove the HDD. You'll need a 6 sided star shaped screwdriver to remove the 4 retaining screws on the HDD though. No idea about the screen so can't help you with it.

Thanks user, I'll stick to this for a while then.

Thinkpads are such a meme. Each one has some engineering issues, some have pretty bad ones
T4x series: mainboard bends and gets killed if you hold the laptop wrong
T60: GPU RAM desolders itself, IPS screen breaks if you move the screen on one side only
T61: Shitty screens only from this point, Nvidia GPUs all died
T500 and T510 series: USB connectors break off and short out the chipset
X61 tablet: glue in the screen leaks, leaves huge air bubbles
X220, X230: screens break with vertical lines
X220 tablet, x230 tablet: keyboard presses on screen, causes heavy scratches
W520: some BIOS chips are faulty
T420: horrible screens only
x30 series and beyond: unusable keyboard layouts only
x40 series: With early BIOS versions the laptop gets bricked if you try booting linux
All older models: Plastic is brittle and breaks off at weaker parts over time

all though I usually would agree, nmap is just one of those tools that gain little to know benefit from a gui.

go back to /lgbt/ you gook

Attached: 1556377439764s.jpg (250x241, 7K)

t.

Attached: new thinkpad.jpg (800x1200, 709K)

dam right, based t420 gang

Attached: 1444258268417.gif (360x263, 623K)

What games would a fully speced x395 be able to run? CSGO? RSS?

noob here, is it fine to put 8 + 4gb of compatible ram in a 440p if they were made by different manufacturers?

i did it anyway and it seems to work fine

Bump

You just don't get dual channel for different sizes but yeah, different sizes and manufacturers were never a thing unless you're autistic.

1. Only have experience with the X201T. It's a nice little package and the wacom is good for what it does. You won't go wrong with it but I use Win 7 with mine, no idea how it works on Linux.

2. No idea about those but if they are stupidly cheap why not buy one to play around with.

Any battery packs I can use for the X220 that are small? I would rather not carry around a full 120V battery bank with my charger. The idea of using USB-C banks is awesome but not sure how to utilize them on older systems without C.

trying to get into programming which is a lot comfier than on a desktop

Define small.
omnicharge.co/products/omni-20/
I'm using an older version and this shit can power a TV and a PS4 together.

I think I have decided on this, I will get this, install a new screen/touchpad then upgrade slowly over time. My question is will this actually work for most tasks, office programs and basic streaming/youtube? Or would I just be better off buying a $150 one off ebay and buying new CPU, Ram, and SSD for that?

$330 for below
Lenovo ThinkPad T440p 14" Laptop Computer Refurbished - Black
Intel Core i5-4300U Processor 1.9GHz; 8GB RAM; 512GB Solid State Drive; Intel HD Graphics 4600

My grandparents want a new laptop for home use, with a big screen (15.6") and that will them last for a while.
I looked at the W520/530 so far, but are there any better options?

You can get the $150 eBay one, 16GB ram and a 500GB SSD for under $330. The included 8GB is probably 2x4 so you still have to upgrade them eventually.

T5xx is cheaper. They don't need the GPU in W series.
Also,
>they want new
>buy used hackermemeshit
They gonna be disappointed.

Okay, my issue is I am having trouble finding a Grade A or Grade B on ebay that is under $200

ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-THINKPAD-T440p-14-i5-2-6GHz-8GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-WEBCAM-BT-/233304009153?nav=SEARCH
Second result nigger, you sure you looked?

well I searched for "Grade" so I guess that is on me, my b

What would you recommend then? The budget isn't very high, 300-400 tops.

MY T420 finally died, so i replaced it with an NEC laptop as it was the best second hand laptop I could find in my small rural town.

The other factor being that my thinkpad was way too big and heavy to fit in my back pack and this laptop is tiny, thin and light.

Attached: 61ZNV0ucQ0L._SL1280_.jpg (1280x960, 119K)

I already did. Check with them if they want new "new" or new "I'm sick of the current one just get me something that just werks" or new "Bob's grandson got him a sparkling new Macbook Pro I hope we get one too".

I hate buying shit for people.

>200 fucking dollars for a thinkpad battery bank

Thanks for the link but no thanks....

Is there a good long term fix to the random GPU corruption/glitching problems the X220 has? I've seen it with Windows and Linux alike so I'm pretty sure it's not (just?) a driver bug.

A relative gave it to me for Christmas and while I wouldn't pay for it it's really handy, obviously I don't use it just for the thinkpad but you asked for something small that can charge your thinkpad, you didn't exactly give a budget.

Send the dead t420 to me.

My bad. It's a shame that you can't simply just take USB-C and convert it to a plug for a Thinkpad. The battery banks for Macbook Pro's for example are very cheap, sub $100.

lurk more

Can I remove the spacebar from my T410 keyboard without breaking it and reattaching it later?
It's only responsive now if i press on the right side and I want to see if I can fix it.

Do you even electrical engineering?

What are good practices on making a t440 battery have a decent lifetime? Is there a straight forward way to set battery reserves? I've so far read that it shouldn't be left in while you're running on ac for a while but surely these have overcharge protection right? if I'm not using the battery should I just take it out? I read somewhere that the battery has performance related function or something

If you're running 7, Lenovo power manager is Max comfy, just set it to charge max at 50 or 80 depending on how often you bring it out.

Haven't brought a laptop in years back when all screen were terrible.
Am i gonna regret buying 1600 x 900 T440s more Uni and anime?

Attached: 1555447337597.png (1080x1080, 534K)

aesthetic ruined by the razer mousepad

any nice shoulder bags for a Thinkpad x1c? the lenovo 14" ones seem a bit loose for thin laptops

Attached: D_mdsTGWkAAWyHB.jpg (1200x675, 76K)