/hpg/ - Headphone General

EQ your headphones edition old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n/psa_oratory1990s_list_of_eq_presets/

post requests in this format if you want useful recommendations
>budget
>location
>open/closed
>past headphones
>sound preferences
>intended use

Previously:

Attached: image.jpg (600x344, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DQ9Hy4WHrvI
amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Active-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones-Black/dp/B01AAGIKCI/ref=nav_signin?keywords=headphones+aaa&qid=1567605646&rnid=1642204031&s=electronics&sr=1-5&th=1&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for ALL OTHERS BOW DOWN BEFORE STAX

Attached: 5DF60B25-0C2A-487C-B49D-C1BB68A55528.jpg (3847x2678, 1.77M)

First for BIODYNAS

Embrace the warmth, good bass, wood aesthetics and stay comfy as fuck.

Attached: IMG_20180507_170015.jpg (4032x3024, 3.92M)

youtube.com/watch?v=DQ9Hy4WHrvI

Hang yourselves, shills.

How's that Fostex amp? It's on sale at this place I go to for 25% off. It is basically just a DAC/Amp combo, isnt it? No analog inputs?

>budget
800€
>location
Germany
>Open/closed
Either is fine
>past headphones
HD650/6XX , HD58X, HD600, Fidelio X2, DT880, M1060C
>Sound preference
Don't know
>Intended use
Enjoying Music

As you can see I've had quite the beginners "he fell for the usual memes" journey and I want to settle down so I sold most of my collection. I understand now that I have to spend a bit more if I want something close to endgame, but I don't really want to spend 1k or more. I don't really know the sound sig I'm looking for as I practically enjoyed all of my previous headphones.

>800 euros

Might as well buy Stax

Should've mentioned that it absolutely MUST HAVE a detachable cable. Stax are amazing but the cable thing really bothers me.

L500 MkII has a detachable cable. Literally no excuse.

Attached: stex.jpg (300x200, 11K)

DT880 is not a meme.

Your ruptured eardrums dissagree

imagine the smell

bumperino

thoughts on putting a bookshelf speaker on a shelf like this ? the wall is plywood and the speakers are mordaunt shorts that are just on the ground at the moment

Attached: s-l225.jpg (225x225, 11K)

lol wat

You're not meant to put bookshelf speakers next to a wall.

figure it out.

There's zero reason to need a detachable cable.

yeah i know, it's at a holiday house though. i want to get them out of the way. current setup is not good. they do sound quite good though.

thoughts?
the monitor doesn't live here

Attached: IMG_4809_LI (Large).jpg (1620x1080, 104K)

>oh no cable breaks, guess i'll just buy an entirely new set of $800+ headphones when a cable would only cost $80-100 at most.

Every single Beyer in the DT line have piercing highs. Listen to songs with many instruments prone to be sibilant, like rainsticks or violin solos and you will probably fuck your hearing forever.

Good overall, but those highs, and little to no ability to mod them kill any DT model. And whoever uses the 770 Pro is literally deaf.

You'd want them at listening height, at your head level.
So a wider table that fits both the tv and speakers. Or speaker stands.

hmmm...

>First for BIODYNAS
I really would but the TH-900 looks like it would explode the moment I looked at it funny and there's really no point in buying any of the other if you really want the biodynamic experience as far as I can tell

mmmmm, just sit back and soak it in for a second.

>he buys a new car when the fuel line fails and starts to leak

>but muh detachable cable
>but muh portability
SRM-D10, SRM-002
>but muh no bass
EQ it
>but it looks retarded
get a Sigma
>but it's overpriced garbage
get a job

LITERALLY no excuse not to buy Stax

Its one of my favorite pieces of equipment and if anything would happen to it ill kill everyone in my building and then myself.

If you are looking for neutral sounding equipment, look anywhere else. This is a warm amp, which is what benefits the most to Biodynas (Specially tubes). If you are also looking for lots of power, also look somewhere else. This will drive most headphones but if you plug something very power inefficient, you will get your anemic results. It does drive the T60RP with plenty of power though, so your mileage will vary. Also Amir hates Fostex amps because they are not neutral.

It doesn't have analog inputs, see pic for the back. But what it does have is a magnificent button to switch between headphone output and line output without having to unplug the headphones. Fucking perfect for the powered monitors i have. It also allows for Digital pass-through.

So in short. A very well designed balanced DAC/AMP combo, with a warm sound signature in a convenient package to combine with powered speakers.

Attached: a5a951d038050349f957.jpg (600x450, 48K)

imagine not owning stax

Klipsch Heriitage HP-3

> there's really no point in buying any of the other if you really want the biodynamic experience as far as I can tell

Denon has much better built and slightly more neutral sounding endgames.

Attached: D9200.jpg (960x591, 61K)

imagine being a mindless germanic beyerdynamic drone

OR the HP-3

Attached: Klipsch-Heritage-HP-3-Headphones-18.jpg (1100x1100, 166K)

Stax cables are $50 or so.

>Denon has much better built and slightly more neutral sounding endgames.
Better built is good obviously but more neutral seems antithetical to the reasons you would get something with biodynamic drivers.
iirc from the post a few threads ago IF I were to consider those the 7200 would be the ones I'd aim for.

>OR the HP-3
How do those compare sound signature wise?

I'm hesitant about biocellulose drivers to be honest. Sounds to me like those Mercedes-Benz wiring harnesses from the '90s that started rotting away after ten years. Meanwhile everyone complains that plastic garbage lasts for hundreds of years. Says to me that plastic drivers last for hundreds of years.

mummies have lasted for thousands

user dont get Estats. Why would you get something that has so many extra requirements to work?

Imagine having headphones and having to keep dust covers on them because they can get fucked by simply existing on a table, needing to buy energizer separately that doesn't play nice with anything else, having to buy only cables for Stax that you cant use in the rest, pads that are also not swappable with common aftermarket offerings, etc etc etc...

What you could get for that price is some gorgeous and warm sounding Biodynas. You had Fidelio X2 and 880, so imagine that but refined, with punchier and deep bass, and bigger soundstage.

Maybe some TH-610 by fostex, maybe some AH-D5200 by Denon if you value portability, maybe some ZMF Eikon or Atticus if you like ZMF (used) , Some Klipsch HP-3 (used) if you want semi-open for increased soundstage. All of them available in your price range. All of them with Detachable cables, swappable pads, plenty of modding potential, and have that lovely V-Shaped signature that makes people fall in love for the Biodyna sound.

Extremely fun in movies and games alike. Enjoyable music where fun prevails against the surgical reproduction.

>having to keep dust covers on them
That's a lie, just like the rest of your gibbering.

Older Denons using Fostex drivers are more than 10 years old, and are still very highly regarded in the community. Pads is the only thing that had to be replaced but they still sound as amazing if not better than when they were new.

Attached: denon_ah-d5000_closed_type_stereo_headphones.jpg (800x589, 54K)

Th-900 fag here. These are low serial number mk1s I bought from japan a while back. As far as I'm aware only the pads were replaced. After all these years only the cable connector has rusted a bit and has accumulated some scratches on the metal parts. The hinge snapping issue is blown out of proportion by the (((drop))) th-x00 series, even then you can buy parts so it's not much of an issue.

Attached: IMG_20190904_213623[1].jpg (3968x2976, 1.8M)

Huh?

Attached: 63511.jpg (1024x768, 172K)

That statement is not true. It is so misinformed that you are in no position to speak about Stax.

Some interesting options you listed there. I'll research a little bit and see if I can audition them somewhere, thanks for the rec's.

The 3.5 is basically dead on any phone I'd ever be interested in. That said, I'm shocked that every decent headphone manufacturer trying to cater to phones is only chasing wireless ie BT and not a single one of them can be bothered with USB (C) audio. There could be actual improvements with USB headphones, IE skipping all the circuitry that causes issues with quality sound, quality on board DAC and amp.
It's unfortunate.

Attached: dce-417001_xl.jpg (963x1200, 70K)

>falling for the biodyna meme

you're a fucking retard if you actually believe that shill. even more so than if you actually bought stax

I was over exaggerating a little yes, but the fact their even cheaper further proves my point that a removable and thus replaceable cable is very useful for expensive headphones.

>even more so than if you actually bought stax
Don't cloud the waters. Stax L300 + amp is objectively the best bang for buck headphone.

Why would you need to replace the cable? Are you the sort that has his headphones torn off his head when he scoots back on his chair, cable crushed under castor?

the problem with usb c audio is the fact that most phones with usb only have it for the charging port so any audio would have to share itself with other connections.

> Come back to /hpg/
> Biodyna meme has gone from intermittent to full blown

You guys are insufferable.

can i put iems in my dick hole?

not really, but with all my IEMs for example the first thing to have problems is always the cable, same with my last pair of headphones, the cable was having audio issues so I replaced it for $10 and it was fine. had another cable where the rubber insulation started to get thin and worn out just from using the headphones like normal, eventually led to the inner cable poking out and i dont want any kind of hazard so i just replaced the cable.

I rarely come here anymore, what happened to idol trash? :(

Got stax and a job in Japan or something.

It's painfully unfortunate there's no standardization on USB C for mobile devices since USB audio could solve so many fucking problems (my biggest being BT compression)

Attached: 1563781784888.jpg (750x750, 181K)

what are my options if I want noise cancelling headphones with AAA batteries? obviously with a way to connect to the phone wirelessly

I look on websites and I can sort them by wireless, but nowhere with a option to sort the ones with AA or AAA batteries and I cant tell by looking at them. most reviews online dont even show that if they have

Attached: 1567506755957.jpg (1024x819, 383K)

youtube reviews*

Here’s why you’re wrong, dumdum.
>SRM-D10, SRM-002
Have you ever heard the SRM-002? It’s legitimately one of the worst electrostatic transducers in existence, not to mention without the eartip package it borders on unwearable alongside having no isolation.
>EQ it
You cannot EQ slam into a transducer. A lack of slam is inherent in estats, and can be a plus or minus to you. If you want slam then they’re just not for you.
>get a Sigma
Same as the 002 point, Sigmas are fucking garbage, like holy fuck. Stax are not some fucking transcendent company that can do no wrong, they have plenty of blunders and failures. Also the Sigma arguably looks even more retarded than any give Lambda.
>t. own a L700 setup and have heard the vast majority of current and previous stax lineups

To be honest im only doing it to drown the Stax meme into oblivion. Since biodynas are cheaper i expect the frequency of the posts to be enough so that Staxposters slowly but surely disappear into their dark dust-covered ethereal soulless sound corner.

Then we can go back into general discussions and recommendations.

I bet you the newbies think dynas and stax are the the only options.

hey anonalon what’s listening this morning? Stax for me, of course

Attached: 9B2E3D0F-04C5-4CC1-A9D5-FA4125030F83.jpg (3359x2307, 1.95M)

Not the only 2 options bro, its not about quantity of options but about drowning STAX memeposters and bots with something. I could've easily picked Planars for the same purpose.

hey anonalon what’s listening this morning? Obviously Biodynas for me, of course, the true Summit-fi

Attached: TH909SB.jpg (960x960, 67K)

good on you user, I’m enjoying Stax myself

Attached: 4F0AC886-F864-496B-AEEC-A41DAD278F8A.jpg (4032x1961, 1.52M)

woopa wrong pic

Attached: 42E9A131-A144-48AB-8758-52D4A958452A.jpg (3035x2980, 1.43M)

*woops

Attached: CEC4F1A4-AC36-4ABD-B37C-CDD3704AF2CF.jpg (3545x1914, 1.7M)

What is even the model? The screenshot is fucking unreadable lol

Fostex HP-A4BL

Attached: hpa4bl-2.jpg (1600x394, 216K)

Is it worth upgrading from these to another closed back up to 300€ if I'm going to EQ them anyway? If so, which?

Attached: m50x.jpg (1000x1603, 297K)

/mu/ told me that an external DAC/headphone amplifier is mostly placebo unless your built-in audio chip is extremely shitty (which is very unlikely these days). What say you, /hpg/?

not to my knowledge, they measure pretty fucking well on all aspects other than soundstage, and EQ really well.

I say they're right

On the DAC part they are completely correct.
On the AMP part, it greatly depends on what headphones you have. For 80% of them you will be fine with integrated motherboard or whatever, for planars or anything that requires good power output you need an external amp. Integrated chips are always made for low impedance devices.

Can someone recommend me a dac/amp for my hd650 preferably under 150$?

Bought the schiit modi and vali a couple years ago and needless to say it was shit. Fucking modi actually broke for no fucking reason.

Attached: 1559416452209.png (1000x1000, 2.29M)

I actually completely forgot I got one of those for when I finally would get a biodyna (yeah I know buying without planning to use it is retarded on the other hand I got it for 250 instead of 450 so yeah)
Fuck it might as well install it right now if it's that great.

If you want a good combo unit you'll have to add another 100 minimum. The Xduoo ta-10 is a good choice as it adds a little tube aroma, which the hd600 series responds really well to. That thing is worth it, I've been using it for over a year now and it will drive everything trust me, even Planars sound good.

Ah, that's what he was called.

Well, why doesn't he post anymore, I loved that friendly autist.

Is there any good true wireless earbuds?

Please beware that when using these EQ presets you need to use the accommodating minimal phase FIR.

It's better to generate your own preset with autoEQ using --max_gain=30 or something ridicilous and use the accompanying minimal phase FIR, it for sure does something but I'm not really sure what it does exactly.

If you use AutoEQ you can also choose between different curves and bass responses.
I chose Usound (Harman curve adjusted for IEMs by oratory1990 and the recommended iem_bass_boost=10). You can't use the recommended AutoEQ presets in the results folder if you have a powerful headphone amplifier, well, you can but it clips the gain off at 6dB so you would lose out on sound quality.

You can generate your own minimum phase FIR with AutoEQ but I haven't gotten it to work yet, so I'm using the pre-generated minimum phase FIR.

Get the DX3 Pro first if you don't have a DAC and AMP yet.
Then just EQ the M50x

Enjoy exploding headphones ;)

You'll have to add another 70 to get the Topping DX3 Pro, if that's too much look at audiosciencereview.com for more budget options.

i have no idea what any of that means
i just use oratory's shit

Attached: ghe glassic.png (750x709, 651K)

I personally haven't had this problem and it has been resolved in V2.
The number of units that died (let alone headphones that explode) was very limited but that was according to Topping itself.
I do believe them though as on the forum it only seemed to be a couple units.

I looked at the EQs from oratory and they aren't clipped off but you still need that minimum phase FIR I think.
I myself don't know exactly what it does but it makes a big difference, not sure if it actually sounds good as my iSine20s haven't arrived yet.

From what I know V2 is the same but topping said they would "pay more attention" to the dx3 pros quality

There is a standart for analog audio over type c, but it's optional and most phones don't bother implementing it.

>budget
$80, but if $100 allows for a substantial difference then I can do that
>location
US
>open/closed
Closed
>past headphones
JVC HA-RX330
>sound preferences
Not picky about this, but I usually go for neutral to be safe
>intended use
Vidya and FLACs

I was looking at the Sony MDR-V6 because of the recommendation of it on the wiki but I just thought I would ask here too. Also, what is a good USB DAC for $50 or under?

I'm not sure I follow, but doesn't that just mean reducing your input volume by the amount of the highest frequency boost? The oratory PDFs all list the recommended input volume decrease and it sounds fine - but to be honest I can't hear much quality issues even if I don't do that (7dB is my highest boost).

Post your impressions when the iSines arrive m8

I'd suggest ATH m50x and skip the DAC.

> Also, what is a good USB DAC for $50 or under?
Your phone/mobo.
If you want a physical volume controller thats a different matter.

what stand?

Who else is enjoying their pic related today?

Attached: 1564932982680.jpg (1500x1000, 231K)

Yeah, won't be today though probably sadly.

MDR-7506 or M50x and definitely skip the DAC for now. Come back when you want to buy a DAC and see our recommendations.

after an entire day of searching, I finally found 1 pare of headphones, I cant believe this bs

amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Active-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones-Black/dp/B01AAGIKCI/ref=nav_signin?keywords=headphones+aaa&qid=1567605646&rnid=1642204031&s=electronics&sr=1-5&th=1&

>headphone seem absolutely based
>cheap
>literally only learn about it with a shitty memepost on Reddit
Fuck. They look too perfect to be real, with all I want build-wise, sound-wise (likely Harman tuned), and 3 fucking cables. Ordered one, will report on it.

Attached: 78922-305841-akg-k371-studio-headphones-7.jpg (1065x1065, 64K)

>harman tuned
Enjoy the sound of mud.