What's the benefit of using old Linux?

What's the benefit of using old Linux?
Kernel 3.x?

Attached: maxresdefault-15.jpg (1280x720, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.macrumors.com/threads/making-g3s-and-radeon-graphics-great-again.2191877/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

None.

Sense of Boomer superiority

Let me ask those debian folks.
brb

Drivers and features get deprecated sometimes, only options are to port them to a newer kernel or use an old version. If you mean old GNU/Linux then I guess it is just more comfy.

the only reason to use a specific older kernel is to run an old proprietary driver
it's the reason why most android phones have ancient kernels even when they're supported by lineageos

they only get deprecated when nobody wants to maintain them anymore, which typically means nobody cares about that thing anymore
since anybody can maintain something, even really obscure stuff sticks around for a long-ass time, usually to the point where it would be difficult to use that thing with a modern kernel for other reasons

Stability in a production environment.

stable/lts distros don't use old kernels, they use lts kernels
there's a difference between using say 4.1.2 (2015, old), and 3.16.73 (a couple weeks old, lts)
while 3.16.73 doesn't have new features, security and bug fixes are still being added to it, so they're not really "old" in the typical sense

Depends on the distro and its maintainers. As long as it hasn't reached EOL, it will be patched and maintained. RHEL/CentOS 2.6.x have not yet reached EOL and are still patched. New kernel releases are Good Things, but if you're a developer and the upgrade is painful (initd -> systemd, some drivers, etc.) then keeping the old, tested around while developing/testing for the new is the most reasonable path to follow, Kernel/OS upgrade may be driven by security requirements on the customer's end, but upgrading for the sake of isn't that great.

Your argument is sound but your wording incorrect, the "typical sense" is the feature set, by these standards anything 3 is ancient. If you mean technical sense then no they aren't old.

When using hardware dropped by later versions like 386 and 486 processors

yea, i wasn't sure about the wording
the point is simply, there's a difference between installing an iso from 2015 with a 3.x kernel, and installing a modern distro with an up-to-date 3.16.73
things which are actually old (in the sense that it hasn't been touched for a considerable amount of time) aren't automatically stable
things get stable by feature-freezing, then maintaining features through stability and security patches only, no new feature introduction
so yea, these things are "old" in the sense that they may not support new features or hardware, but they're not old in the sense that they're unmaintained

multilibs exist for a reason retard

how about Pentium 3 though?
3.x kernel runs real fast on Pentium 3 but 4.x is very slow

and yeah, 3.x was the last that works with 486 but really only 2.x is useable on a 486

Linux 2.6 oughtta be enough for anybody. Prove me wrong

it does, yes. that's not the reason, though

>What's the benefit of using old Linux?
>Kernel 3.x?
Better performance.

UMS support for 2D and 3D acceleration if using an old Radeon GPU.

KMS breaks graphics and UMS is not supported anymore, so your only option is to use an old kernel.

False.

There has been a bug with old ATI Radeon GPUs for years. You cannot even use xorg with them, because the screen will flicker and the entire system will freeze when you do.

There are lots of people with this problem and they have never bothered to even respond to them.

less bloat

no fan noise(whine)

did you miss "typically"?
there are exceptions, of course, and not every maintainer is willing to fix all issues
it could also be down to the maintainer being unable to reproduce, or fix the issue, even if he wanted to
having 100 non-technical users complain about something won't actually fix the problem, you still need someone both willing /and able/ to fix it, which gets more rare the older and more obscure you go

are you talking about the long deprecated catalyst

catalyst/fglrx are proprietary, and not part of linux, so it would make no sense if that's what he's talking about

>RHEL/CentOS 2.6.x have not yet reached EOL and are still patched.
Does that mean I can get their source and build them on my system to keep using an old but mantained kernel?

sure, why not?

i have used old radeon and aside from not being able to turn off exa vsync i have no idea what you're talking about

flgrx can go suck a dick, i spent soooo much time 10 years ago trying to get that useless piece of shit software working.

Attached: man.png (858x512, 504K)

No, I'm talking about the free radeon driver.

gpu is dead

forums.macrumors.com/threads/making-g3s-and-radeon-graphics-great-again.2191877/

>macshit

what did he mean by this

>a driver bug is Apple's fault
Retard

it's not the driver

Yes it is, nigger. The GPU is working perfectly with older linux releases and multiple people are having this problem.

i have had rv350 and have had no problems
iRetard

try not using an ancient kernel nigger or an iFruit toy

This happens with r300 and older, subhuman

It's comfy, but it's not terribly difficult to setup a distro to act and look more like "old Linux".

>the bug is happening with newer kernels
>"try not using an ancient kernel"

>has no fucking idea of what he is talking about
>muh nigger, muh macshit, muh iToddler

Peak Jow Forums. KYS

>apple just works

Attached: 1548733080046.jpg (220x216, 8K)

yea, likely a case of "no technical users left who can fix it"

Yeah, there's not much people using a 17-year-old GPU that know how to fix drivers. I don't complain about it. But the assertion that "things get supported until nobody cares about that thing anymore" is just false.

>But the assertion that "things get supported until nobody cares about that thing anymore" is just false.
i didn't write that, i wrote;
>"they only get deprecated when nobody wants to maintain them anymore, which typically means nobody cares about that thing anymore"
and i am talking about people who can maintain that thing, not necessarily all users of that thing
the fact is that if it is possible to make these broken ati gpus work with KMS, then somebody can fix it, it's all open source, but nobody who can cares to do so (the fact it's broken for some time is evidence of this)
and if it's not possible, then they'd need to maintain UMS or some other unique system instead, which would probably be a lot of work for something damn near nobody would benefit from