/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Don't dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1534785002763.jpg (953x1200, 272K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suckless.org
lobste.rs/s/nf3xgg/i_am_leaving_llvm#c_yoghmo
lobste.rs/s/nf3xgg/i_am_leaving_llvm#c_lfctpe
wiki.debian.org/Hardware
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah excatly, they use about 30GB of it typically which is a normal sized root, and if they need to rebuild even all the software on their system they'll have enough without any stupid wastage.

You're a kernel

Attached: ded.gif (611x334, 3.45M)

>and you scream about how linux doesn't do anything. :/
Making a lot of assumptions here.
I'd be all for a homebrew Raspberry solution for home video surveillance but unfortunately we're still on coax wiring and this was simply the easiest & cheapest solution of maintaining our system.
Once we eventually move to PoE cameras then sure but for now it's a mix of HD over Coax and SD resolution cameras

What are some cool terminal commands?

Attached: 1567244317178.png (662x661, 413K)

sudo

$ echo frog

>there are people in this thread right now who aren't running their shit on top of an LVM
i never knew i was capable of feeling so much disgust

Linux is a guy.

Attached: kmveovz1lfy11.png (1100x618, 467K)

The third person *you*. The not you you, but the you referred to when *you* mention your own stupid mistakes in the third person by project them hypothetically. Me when I was stupid is who I was referring to, not you. Plus "homebrew" is the wrong way to look it, there's better solutions - if you use object based data sets you can just go full wireless and all you would need is power.

apg

sudo !!

pstree

I'm writing a script so I can pipe the contents of my clipboard through a plumbing program. Shit like Youtube opening up in mpv etc. When I write the script out in the command line it works fine. When I call the clipboard piping script using the i3 keybind or just calling the script by hand pipes nothing. Is xsel the wrong program for this purpose? I'm getting the impression that the contents of the clipboard is not exposed when called from a script. Which explains the code working when entered in the shell but failing when called as a script.

Fix line 10, column 32.

Man I used to have a script just like that, I forget how it worked. I know I was able to read clipboard from the script though.

I had this functional under Sway using wl-clipboard. I had to switch back to i3-gaps because I needed GPU acceleration. I think my hangup is declaring the $DISPLAY environmental variable. All of this xorg trash is irritating.

What are some lame terminal commands?

Attached: Generic NPC.jpg (366x366, 28K)

Installing Manjaro GPT&UEFI here. Just partitioned and mounted the disk.
Looking at 4 options now.
10 refresh Pacman keys
11 choose Pacman cache
12 enable fsck hook
13 back & begin desktop installation

There doesn't seem to be any guides for the architect fork.

Do I need to run 10-12 for GPT/EFI Manjaro?

Should do yes, 12 may be optional but is always recommended if you want to keep your data in event of crashes.

keys refreshed but what is pacman cache and fsck?
looking at this now after starting 11
do you want to use the pacman cache of the running system instead of the installation target?

Pacman is the package manager, it's keys authenticate the software it downloads to make sure it's not naughty files from a bad actor.
The cache is where the packages are stored during extraction, and possibly for later use if you need to downgrade.
fsck is file system checks after a crash or if you shutdown unexpectedly, on linux file systems they are a must because of how they differ in design from say ntfs.

Anyone know how to jump tubbers? This is really bugging me and making paranoid

Elaborate.

The fact that it is bugging me is leading me to believe that something else is going on inside my system.
And how did that happen?
Right?

So if I use the pacman cache of the running system, will that just make a pacman cache on the live Manjaro USB? if so can't I just use the install target cache and just clear the cache after install?

Also thanks

I assume here they are referring to the temporary cache, no one would lock you to a usb stick for a working cache, however if manjaro is that stupid simply changing the line

CacheDir=/path/to/cache

inside of the file

/etc/pacman.conf

to where you want your cache to be, after installation. nano is a what you see is what you get editor and vi/vim are the preferred programmer editors you really really should spend some time learning. vimtutor is a great place to start.

I would like to help you, really I would. I just don't have a fucking clue what you mean.

Error
Partitions must be mounted first.
what i miss?

Attached: 20190904_065105.jpg (3455x760, 1.92M)

You have mounted your root partiton to /home, I assume sda2 is root yes?

Feeling dumb,
just noticed Manjaro mounted the root at /home.
Is this normal? I thought it was supposed to be /root.

I just noticed your btrfs file tag, show me a df please

the real name of an OS you use is Linux/GNU/X-Windows

Attached: LGX_Yggdrasil_CD_Fall_1993.jpg (768x787, 49K)

btrfs is a futuristic file system, sort of, it has subvolumes that will show up as extra little knobs to mount. A great deal of installer scripts will detect a btrfs filesystem and automaticly make a /home, /var, /var/lib/machines or any number of subvolumes, it could LOOK like it's mounted at /home but might not be. please provide a "df" if you can, ctrl+alt+f(1-8) will swap to another terminal.

I was able to continue with my ext4 partition unmounted.
That ok?

Absolutely, looks like btrfs+manjaro script expects the user to use a full btrfs volume and seperate subvolumes for /home and /.
When you boot next you will want to move your /home back to ext4 I assume, best to have a root login enabled and use "sudo systemctl isolate multi-user.target" to drop to a terminal and use root account to move /home back to ext4. Edit /etc/fstab to add your drive back to your /home mountpoint, you can find the UUID of a disk via "lsblk -f"

what is tubbers and how do you jump them?

Jow Forumsodly.
installed BSP, about to install rEFInd but I get this:
No support for intel microcode. these require manual boot stanzas or using a different bootloader.
It's an i5, Should I default to grub or is this something I can work with?

You should default to grub in the first place, refind is fine but grub is a better engineered project. I would recommend direct EFI booting but I don't know if manjaro supports that, the linux kernel can run as an EFI load.

>go to Wikipedia
>learn that suckless.org is a bunch of "violent right wing extremists"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suckless.org
What the fuck?

Attached: 1495426453791.jpg (533x594, 191K)

Attached: hike2017-s.png (600x450, 146K)

Where can I find nudes for this semen demon?

Removed the bias, please don't hack me because my IP is now public :3

it's true though. Suckless bozos together with a fringe part of BSD chuds are 100% political shitheads.

Following the source lobste.rs/s/nf3xgg/i_am_leaving_llvm#c_yoghmo there seems that someone got mad that they walked around with torches and made them look bad at Wikipedia.

this is what suckless want to be but can't, because they're dumb.

Attached: about+help.png (1600x900, 173K)

You could just remove thing entirely. The whole thing looks like someone doing mental gymnastics.

Now on Manjaro feeling great knowing the worst is only to come.
I don't wanna break it.

How do I correctly mount my home partition?

I don't remove anything that is true, they did mimic a white supremacist march, it was just edgy bois being edgy but it is relvent now because it has been raised. It's unfortunate but thats how it works I'm afraid.

I have a laptop with Windows 7 that I want to convert to GNU+Linux, I just want to replace it entirely with a distro (probably Debian). I know how to make a USB into a boot disk, however I am unsure if I need to repartition my harddrive, install it, then delete windows or if I need to wipe the drive completely and install from BiOs.
Searching for this brings up many switch to Linux blog posts or how to restore Windows. I just want to have entirely GNU+Linux on this machine, I have nothing of importance on the HDD so it doesn't matter if it gets delete.

Attached: 1352168240673.jpg (164x152, 9K)

Mount your home partition somewhere temporary via
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
then as root and not logged as any user who uses /home
mv /home/* /mnt
then it's a case of editing /etc/fstab so that the /home mount points to /dev/sda4's UUID instead, then all you should need to do is unmount your new home
umount /mnt
notice UMOUNT with no n, it's stupid we all know, and then you simply
mount -a
all as root of course, should be fine

You can install Debian from your existing Windows

You can completely wipe the drive or get the installer to resize the windows drive, Ubuntu/Debian should give you options if you want it wiped it wipes if you want it dual booted it dual boots.

If i remember correctly you can set it to replace everything while installing.

what's the stupid babby's distro par excellence

Mint, Ubuntu, both are shit. Install Debian.

Good to know, I haven't tried to use GNU+Linux in a while and was not aware this was an option in the installation process, thanks.

Ubuntu. Xubuntu is the best if you are testing on older hardware but you can change at any time using "tasksel" in the terminal. Protip; windows and mac have lied to you, you will need to learn the command line.

You're right i guess.

it looks too hard

Well, walking around with torches doesn't have to be politically charged, especially outside of the the US. That's also what the developer said at the linked source link. I can't find any reference that says "we did this as reaction against the SJW", so the article part is not really truth.

We're not put on this earth to always win, sometimes its best to do the best you can with what you're given and hope you do enough to make it count. Go help someone out a bit, and maybe everyone will stop feeling so attacked.

as if I weren't using command line on windowes

It's a stretch, but we can read intent as far as they did intend to mimic the march. It happened during the time it was politically relevant and they featured it as one of the main images of the even prominently. They mimicked white supremacists, possibly not outright neo nazis but I don't want to look into it because it's icky and I live in NZ, but they where being edgy there is no question. The problem, which I fear will mean my edits will be marked as biased, is that the left has the strangle hold on narrative and they may extend them being simply edgy to also mean they belong to said white supremacists who are also instantly neo-nazis because white supremacy is that simple. Gotta be the bigger man bro, even when you know it's a loss, otherwise you start picking up the whole "there are no bad tactics" part of new politics.

>Suckless seriously, unironically talk about cultural marxism
No, thanks.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (380x336, 41K)

bro they're developers, therefore they all have autism.
Sometimes it means they get obsessed with chopping of their cocks and other times it means they're obsessed about those obsessed with chopping of their cocks - just gotta be nice to all of them and hope they still accept your patches if you don't interact too much.

Nah "bro", it's not a question of being a socially awkward IT dev guy.

Then what is it about?
The progressives call it Intersectionality, no one really cares about that word, the conservatives call it cultural marxism and that's replied to outright by you with hate. Simplest answer is those who call it Intersectonality have poisoned the well with their better social skills, senpai. Otherwise you actually think larpers of a dead german political party have Illuminati esq connections with world leaders.

Cultural marxism means the Jews.

>A lesson of political philosophy from Suckless.org.

Attached: 937e9a56a9-1486996494538.png (600x580, 519K)

He said it's an translation error. lobste.rs/s/nf3xgg/i_am_leaving_llvm#c_lfctpe
Hitler drank water. If I drink water, do I mimic Hitler?

>krashes

Attached: 1024px-Neon-logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 133K)

I’m a developer, have been using OSX for 8+ years. I’ve fiddled with some Linux machines and my webapps all run on Linux (Ubuntu) servers, though I typically just use a cPanel interface.

I want to buy a cheap laptop and run a Linux distro on it. Any recommendations for both a cheap laptop and which distro to run? Are the Lenovo chromebooks decent enough?

I plan on using it for programming and general web/browsing. I may use it for my bitcoin node as well, but it won’t be my main machine.

Exactly, Intersectionality. When someone says "the jews" do you think they have an accurate picture of what "the jews" even are compared to what they really are. The conservatives of today are striking out against cultrual marxists who rule our universities and mind control our children, to them.
The same that intersectonality thinks that people who use the term cultrual marxists unironically are way more than just larpers of a dead german party.

What did we learn here? Never shitpost with your identity online or you get stigmatized on Wikipedia.

Are you saying they didn't mimic the march? With all evidence I wouldn't even say that, it's enough to convict with to be honest.

Thinkpad, maybe? They have a large fandom with many people running linux on them, so the hardware is well supported. The general consensus seems to be that X, T, W and P series from the old keyboard era are good while the newer ones aren't.

wiki.debian.org/Hardware
This is an excellent resource, they have a far better attempt than the rest of the project at keeping up to date so distros like Ubuntu don't get a bad name.

All I'm saying is that everyone should be allowed to run around with a torch in his hand without being called a violent right wing extremist.
>The torchlight hike did not affect any coding decision in a direct way, but it really bonded the team further together and was a very nice memory of this conference that I and the others are very fond of from what I’ve heard. On top of that, during the hike we were able to philosophize about some new projects of which some have become a reality.
This doesn't really sound like a blood and honour meeting to me. Torches are fun and that seems to be the reason why they did this. They shouldn't end up as neo nazis on Wikipedia for this.

I never said they were violent, I edited the article specifically to remove all mention of violence, but the problem comes in I must be intellectually honest. I would sentence them if mimicking the march where a crime, but I would not call them violent nor extremist; simply edgy net bois. You may edit the article yourself if you wish.

And what would the correct variable be?

Attached: 1565900646688.png (1631x918, 1.25M)

What version of firefox are you using, looks like it's very recent, do you have your distros specific xde-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-kde packages?

I've tried both firefox 64 and 69. I am on debian and have installed xdg-desktop-portal-kde but I can't find the former package in the repo.

I made a typo, xdg-desktop-portal, my bad.

>xdg-desktop-portal
Still doesn't work after install that. When I try to bring up the file picker by saving an image, nothing appears and I get this error in the terminal.
(firefox:2710): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:39:24.816: Can't open portal file chooser: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface “org.freedesktop.portal.FileChooser” on object at path /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop

Is there a program to create a mountable single file container with read/write access to it?
Something like psimo mount for windows.
>Compression is a plus.

I have compressed all my windows games with psimo compressed archives, (.pfo) but the software doesn't run on latest kernel, and it seems abandoned. I want to re-archive all my games to another format

>zip files works for readable archives, but some games need read/write, and I know you can write with archivemount but it just creates a new zip from the start and if the archive is 3GB, it just isn't worth it. I need in place file modification for writes.
>Why do I compress my games???? Many indie games can have thousand of files and they take too much space, like 5000files, 400MB, which can easily be compressed down to 1 file and ~200MB.
>It is easier to share/store 1 file container for games, that just mount and play, rather than having a .7z that you have to extract first
>So I store my games on removable media.
>On windows I have successfully compressed big games like Skyrim and Fallout 3 to a single .pfo archive, and they mount and play really quick.
>I am searching something like that for linux, so I can play these games with WINE

dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/container bs=1 count=0 size=20G (pick your size)
sgdisk -n1:0:0 /path/to/container
(sudo) losetup -P /dev/loop0(or other if in use) /path/to/container
mkfs.btrfs -d single -m single -L games /dev/loop0p1
mount /dev/loop0p1 /mnt
btrfs property set /mnt compression zstd
cp -a ~/Games /mnt

recreate the loop device and remount anywhere you want it to, supported any disto you move to that supports btrfs and loopback files which is all of them. This is merely an example, read what each tool does via "man dd/sgdisk/sudo/losetup/mkfs/btrfs/etc/etc" but what I have outlined should be simple to understand if you have unix experience.

Draw some. It's just a cartoon after all.

the final option for "dd" is meant to be seek, "seek=20G", I'm sorry it's 3am

I'm sorry without direct access to your system I can't do much, that problem is firefox can't find your file opener via dbus, and access is provided by the portal packages.

Terminal ASCII Aquarium
by Vivek Gite

Why is it that running a path from the terminal works but when i run it from a .desktop shortcut, it doesnt work anymore?

thanks user, gon try this later

relative path vs absolute path

Why does everyone hate dual booting recently? I just treat the windows partition like a video game console. It makes more sense to me more now that everyone has SSDs and you can reboot in 15 seconds.

its absolute in both

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-04 11-47-52.png (897x435, 37K)

lame

How do I change the file picker on Xfce?