What's the optimal crf to encode your AV to HEVC at?

Attached: hevc_logo-1ea277eafbc26d1976d5724eb7ab1e51fe1fdcd4060578a88be010885dc6ef64[1].png (300x191, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en
builds.x265.eu/
files.catbox.moe/5zi8lo.mkv
files.catbox.moe/h7eqwx.mkv
files.catbox.moe/aqduyj.zip
github.com/OpenVisualCloud/SVT-AV1/blob/master/Docs/svt-av1_encoder_user_guide.md
files.catbox.moe/zey82b.mkv
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Enjoy your loss in quality

what's all the hype about h.265? looks like shit compared to h.264

seethe

CRF 16-20

If you have the same final file size, and are encoding from a master file, the H265 will look better... The issue is people are sometimes too aggressive when setting the bitrate. For shit like Southpark, its AMAZING. A 20 minute episode can literally be 100megs at 1080p and look just as good as a 400meg AVC file. If theres more shading in anime, it can fall apart if you're too stingy with the file size, and can outright look horrible in live action if its ANY smaller than AVC(I have a few GoT 1080p episode encodes that are 1gb, that look fucking horrible cause the person who set the filters and settings fucked up)

thinkshit owners

Install x264 unless you need hdr.

grab a good source and do a slow 2-pass at 500kbps on both, come back after and let us know if you still think that

Attached: 9PtI13W[1].jpg (1466x640, 108K)

x265 is literal pajeetware and will crush details even if you give it shitloads of bitrate. x264 is still uncontested for high quality videos.

>Corelet cry
>rdnalet screans
HAHAHAHAHA
NOBODY NEEDS MORE THAN 4 CORES

are you okay dude?
is it too hard to write a comprehensible post?

Attached: 1548689999252.jpg (1200x675, 80K)

>t. corelet
not enough power to even process simple comments

>universal
>caring about the video quality more than the content quality

why does this even matter to my point? x264 provides better quality than x265 at higher bitrates. it's a fact.

He's right you know, right now hevc is full of bugs, psy-rd is bugged as hell and erases a lot of details.

>slow 2-pass at 500kbps on both
>ON BOTH
That's not how you demonstrate encoding efficiency, slow x265 and slow x264 are not the same thing.
You correctly measure encoding efficiency you need to measure by fps.
So to match encoding efficiency you would need to match the fps of the x265 to the fps of the x264.
If you set x265 to slow to the slow preset, you would need to set x264 to the veryslow or placebo preset to match the average fps of both encodes.

That's debatable, but certainly the benefit of x265 is clear when you are dealing with 4K HDR content.

is that the sound of goalposts dragging on ground?

~20-22

18. make sure to turn off cutree and change aqmode to 3, and turn on fades. use 10bit to avoid banding

Attached: test.mkv_snapshot_00.04.838_comp.png (1280x1163, 1.55M)

It matters because you're crying about your shit Macbook not being able to handle x265. Get Ryzen and RDNA or go cry somewhere else.

yeah no. even phones can swdec h265 now, it's not like it's a feat.

Make a Youtube channel about encoding your bullshit in x265 for everyone to see. Let's see how you like it.

With a phone*

2pass 1200kbps x264 vs x265.
Source:BDMV
The encodes were fps matched as close as possible.
CPU used: Ryzen 7 [email protected]
x264 settings:
--Preset:Placebo
--Profile:High
--Tune:Animation
--Level 4.1
--aq-mode=3
Average fps:12.55fps

x265 settings:
--Preset:Slow
--Profile:Main
--Tune:Animation
--Level:4.0
--aq-mode=3
Average fps:8.7 fps

Attached: source.png (1920x1080, 1.82M)

x264

Attached: x264.png (1920x1080, 1.21M)

x265

Attached: x265.png (1920x1080, 1.51M)

Attached: source2.png (1920x1080, 1.86M)

x264

Attached: x264-2.png (1920x1080, 466K)

x265

Attached: x265-2.png (1920x1080, 554K)

>1200kbps
>literal pajeet bitrates
lol

Attached: source3.png (1920x1080, 1.99M)

should youtube videos be uploaded in mp4 or webm?

x264
mp4
See:
support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Attached: x264-3.png (1920x1080, 1.6M)

x265

Attached: x265-3.png (1920x1080, 1.73M)

>gets called out for h.264 having worse quality
>claims encoding speed matters more
LMAO

>500kbps
why the fuck would i bother going that low when even youtube recommends 8 Mbps for a 1080p upload? lol

I didn't claim h264 has better quality, as you can see in the comparisons I made in these post HEVC is clearly superior I was just pointing out that to correctly measure a codec efficiency you need to match the fps of the encoding, makes sense if you think about it.

because yt's recommendations are designed for them to have more room to re encode and for shit quality encoders. if you have third world internet you want smaller uploads with less bitrate and slower encoders like h265

just watch unmodified bluray rips :^)

third worlders should just make do with less

Depends on the internal encoder precision. I've found CRF 10/16 to be more suitable for 8-bit precision encoders. 16/22 work exceedingly well for 10-bit precision ones. link related

builds.x265.eu/

Don't use the outdated ffmpeg encoder tho, get one of the latest snowfag releases and replace the stock hevc encoder in megui or staxrip with it.

Unless you know exactly what you need as far as encoding parameters, use the fast preset. Anything slower will only net you single digit percentage file size reductions.

If my train doesn't derail in all this mortal kombat grade thunder I might post a comparison of what I mentioned in 1-2 hours OP.

is it possible to update the handbrake x265 encoder? megui and staxrip pause buttons crash the client for me.

Use the handbrake nightly

Hmmmm, try the ffmpeg x265 encoder, might have 10-bit precision encoding rn, just add: -pix_fmt yuv420p10le

outdated encoder but probably won't matter too much in hindsight

both hand nightly and ffmpeg-master use x265 3.1-master.
So the encoder is up to date.

*handbrake nightly

Handbrake has x265 10-bit. He should be ok.

you clearly have no idea what the fuck you're talking about so you should just shut up.

I like the right one more its has more details. Look at the letters left is all washed out has no textures just a colour gradient while right has all details.

is this entire thread just a pajeet shilling for x265?

What about SVT-HEVC, that one is made by the based jews at Intel.

Which part and why haven't you proven me wrong yet?

this is some low iq bait, not very good quality. lurk more newfag.

Attached: bait_not.jpg (625x626, 54K)

>makes sense if you think about it.
you stopped thinking properly long ago. have another (You).

Attached: (you).png (616x480, 196K)

Pls explain how am I wrong 500iq individual?

See

Trips fags are always wrong. You defaulto lose on any argument you make. Now fuck off back to the shithole you came from.

No response?
I'm gonna explain my logic because you guys are retarded.
If both encoders(x264 and x265) finish an encode at a similar speed, for example let's say both did an average of 15fps and now let's say one encode clearly looks better than the other, it means one codec is better than the other at a similar speed, that was the logic behind my statement at and .
By these images we can say x265 slow is much better than x264 placebo, tho x264 placebo was almost 4 fps faster but I bet x265 medium would yield similar results(being better than x264) while being faster.

Here's some great sample video for anyone who wants to test encodes. Just a 1:21 minute slow-mo clip from YT. Except it's lossless 720p 4:2:0 10-bit x265 transcoded from lossy 4K 4:2:0 8-bit VP9 YT source. It's probably as close as you can get to blu-ray test video you can get without the massive file size.

files.catbox.moe/5zi8lo.mkv

Attached: watching-the-subbed-version-watching-without-the-subtitles-watching-an-55084416.png (500x564, 118K)

>2 FPS
Sorry folks, looks like I can't chip in this time. Best I can do is provide basic BAT template for batch encoding HEVC + HQ Opus audio with ffmpeg. At least ffmpeg finally added 10-bit precision HEVC encoding to the windows builds, everyone was bitching about that for years.

for %%f IN (*.mkv, *.mp4) do (
ffmpeg -i "%%f" -c:v libx265 -preset fast -crf 22 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -c:a libopus -b:a 192k -vbr on -compression_level 10 "%%~nf_10bx265.mkv"
)

Attached: w.jpg (1003x700, 198K)

>fast 10-bit
>2fps
Time to buy a new pc tripfag.
My ryzen 7 [email protected] can do 20fps average on the same settings(and encoding an opus track at the same time like you're trying to do).

The ryzen 5 3600 is pretty cheap, you should consider it.

Just converted this to 22 CRF 10-bit HEVC using the fast preset: files.catbox.moe/h7eqwx.mkv

Had some pre-processing in my script I forgot to disable, I now get 3 FPS lmao.

Yeah but after getting a $2K macbook pro on credit only to find out it throttled to 1GHz on all 4 cores and temps surpassed 100C at times I kinda lost all interest in computers for a while. I've been completely complacent with a 2GHz APU laptop I got for $150 for about 2 years now.

But I am interested nonetheless and I've seen 2700 + B450 bundles at my local microcenter close to $200 so I am very much interested again. Probably gonna get that soon, zen 2's thread scheduler thing won't be on windows 10 LTSC until the 2021 release so not too keen on the 3000 series this time around.

Attached: 1438714549462.png (520x533, 283K)

Holy shit, I can't tell the difference.

Attached: 1445364318299.jpg (450x519, 126K)

>macbook
Sasuga tripfag

Attached: 1461277924974.jpg (328x154, 11K)

Has you guys seen SVT-AV1?
It scales pretty good with a lot of threads.
I compiled it a couple of days ago for those interested:
files.catbox.moe/aqduyj.zip
It's pretty slow tho(still faster than rav1e), it's just for testing but it seems promising, give it another year and it'll be the new x264.

>1mbps video bitrate
I don't understand, how is this not a blurry blocky mess? I NEVER use anything under 5 mbps even for hevc in handbrake unless chinese cartoons because it looks like shit.

Attached: wut.jpg (680x553, 52K)

I forgot to post the guide:
github.com/OpenVisualCloud/SVT-AV1/blob/master/Docs/svt-av1_encoder_user_guide.md

especially at fast. maybe at slow/very slow

Yup, that's the meme power of 10-bit precision encoders. People often assume it just reduces color banding in chinese cartoons but it actually drives up compression efficiency quite a bit.

Live and learn I guess. On the bright side the anger helped me fuel my desire to pursue a better life and now I'm comptia A+ certified and plan to get the N+/S+ and start a career in IT despite being a high school drop out (got my GED tho). At least I don't have kids yet, I didn't fuck that up at least.

10-bit precision makes that much of a difference. The crux is not every device may support HW decoding of it.

Attached: iToddled.webm (960x1702, 548K)

as a sysadmin let me give u some advice, the sec+ is new but still worthless, the net+ is very worthless. work your way towards a CCNA R&S for networking and idk what equivalent cybersec cert would be, probably better off doing networking first and going from there. Also get a hypervisor of your choice and set up basic office needs like AD and shit. Put it on your resume and people will take you seriously

>IT grunt

just get a cissp and break into IT management or an oscp and become a meme tester

Thanks, I knew A+ was going to be the first step but I'm honestly mesmerized by all the different paths I can take. Networking is a promising career, I'll consider your advice.

I'll consider this too user, thank you. A career in IT security does seem daunting but nothing good in life ever comes easy anyway.

>aq-mode
What the fuck is that?

Attached: horror-melting-face-gif.gif (500x281, 1.45M)

Read an x264/5 encoding guide.

I saw comparisons between HEVC and AV1 at piss poor buttrates and AV1 looked a lot better.
Wish it was ready by now.
Too poor to horde big encodes.

Except it takes thousands more resources than placebo HEVC. AV1 probably will outperform HEVC but it will 99% be used for streaming websites. Anyone who thinks they're going to transcode their entire chink toon library to AV1 is batfuck insane desu.

>x265 garbage bitrate looks better than x264 garbage bitrate
>less hardware support
>need to tweak encoder, much like someone would do ricing a desktop, for acceptable quality
Oh, sign me up for that Netfux quality HD

see
You're right about the HW support tho, especially for the 10-bit hevc used here but encoding hevc has now become retard proof. Just put that script into the same folder of video you want to transcode, double click, and wait.

Test

What youtube channel is that from m8? Shouldn't something captures content like that be 60fps? I convert all my edits to 60fps. (or 120fps sometimes)
It's all lewd stuff, well mild stuff but for lewd purposes, 60fps makes it more real, the software I use cleans up old shitty looking clips too somehow/

SVT-AV1 has crap quality and might as well use x264 at that point unless you really want the simple freedom of AV1. Libaom is the best but it's obviously slow.

Woah there, buster; I don't give a tasty shit how long my encode takes.
As long as I can store my adult movies with less disk, I'm happy.

Attached: 1567332822007.jpg (720x463, 33K)

test passed

>Yup, that's the meme power of 10-bit precision encoders
10bit does not increase the quality of the video, it just helps prevent banding, fuck off. the sample you posted has literally zero detail

I mean the encoders might get a speed boost one of these. Did you not read the "wish it was ready" part.

literally redid

I just tried this on my celeron acer laptop to encode a 720p blu-ray movie over night and it crashed at 123 frames. Fuck hevc.

Attached: 1538919922700.webm (1920x796, 1.89M)

When you use 10-bit precision encoders there are less round off errors in the final decoded frames especially in low bitrate video like the one I posted. Not just in resultant chroma/luma values, which greatly reduce blocking artifacts and color banding like you mentioned but also in the quantization/motion estimation encoding stages during motion in the video.

Because HEVC can use larger than 16x16 CUs, in internal precision increase from 256 values to 1024 values makes the smaller 16x16 to 8x8 CUs better at capturing motion and the larger 32x32 to 64x64 CUs better at capturing idle parts of the video especially with all the 30+ intra-frame prediction methods HEVC has. This results in eve more compression efficiency gains for HEVC than H264 would get. About 20% for PSNR tests alone and even more for the actual perceived quality retention during video playback.

Attached: h264-vs-hevc-26-638.jpg (638x479, 58K)

>Libaom is the best but it's obviously slow.

Libdav1d would like a word

fuck, my 30yo boomer eyes can't see any difference, just don't burn my toaster laptop.

That's unfortunately pretty common when your encoding FPS is really low. The only thing I've found that helps is increasing cpu priority of the ffmpeg executable to real-time and closing every other program and clicking on the command prompt window top border to bring it to the foreground.

>10bit does not increase the quality of the video, it just helps prevent banding
Slowly read what you wrote again.

fuck you cuck

>2-3 fps for 720p chink toons
I should have listened to you Jow Forums, macbooks really do throttle that much. I couldn't even complete this 3 minute episode, I gave up halfway.

files.catbox.moe/zey82b.mkv

Attached: crying-wojak.png (650x773, 47K)

Pretty sure Libdav1d is a decoder not an encoder, two different things.