/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>How to assemble a PC
youtu.be/hGiAfMoYEjI?t=92

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Minimum 30-60fps gaming. 2400G/3400G may be worth to less likely require a CPU upgrade when adding a dGPU
>R5 2600 - 60fps+ gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>Wait for Threadripper gen3 - Extreme overkill gaming with its larger cache
>R7 1700 - Budget production
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM
>Do NOT use a single DIMM. 2 sticks for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in P/N) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

GPUs
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB
>GTX 1660TI / Vega56 - higher fps / more demanding games; only worth it on sale as normal cost is overpriced
>RX 5700 - higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 70-100FPS+ gaming
>RX 5700XT - higher FPS
2160p (4K)
>RX 5700XT - budget option. Upscale with RIS
>2080Ti - best for 4K, but poor value

General
>Yes, adaptive sync (g/free-sync) is important for gaming
>HDD are defunct except for servers, NAS, and sub-$350 builds; SSDs are cheap now
>QLC is for storage, NOT for main drive
>Don't use Speccy
>Beware userbenchmark, passmark, cpuboss, and comparisons which only use averages and not 1% minimums nor framegraphs
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Attached: 1567643793624.jpg (4032x3024, 3.47M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Zdh9jy
pcpartpicker.com/list/mtDwtg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>3950x or wait for threadripper

based 9 fan user

extension from last thread. Is it possible to build an mITX based AMD/X570 build? Or is it doomed to shitty motherboards? I want a pint sized build and if X570 mITX motherboards are dog shit, then I want no part.

WHEN
REEEEEEEEE

SFF Zen2 builds are kind of a shit show at the moment, holding off myself until it gets better.

>don't buy GPUs
So what AMD and Nvidia should just die?

Just leave the llc/vdroop to auto?

I just want to try and get 2600 to 4 or 4.1 ghz. Aren't the latest produced cpus the ones that overclock best compared to early batches?

3950X has only dual channel memory and 40 PCIe lanes vs Threadripper having 64+ and quad channel. If you find yourself in need of so many lanes and 64c128t that Threadripper is bringing, then get Threadripper. However the 3950X will be far sufficient for raw CPU performance stuff like encoding and rendering.

Polaris replacement when AMD????

wait for x590

Is the corsair carbide 275R any good? I’m trying to do a build on a budget and I’ve been recommended this case.

very nice

there's only 4 x570 itx motherboards announced:
gigabyte x570-i - i have this one, it's not bad

asrock - has thunderbolt but asrock uses an intel - type cooling bracket so the stock amd cooler will not fit

asus x570-i strix - still no idea when it will be released, no idea on price

asus crosshair impact dtx - slightly larger than itx, again no idea on price or release date

the only mATX board for x570 is the shitty asrock one with subpar VRMs

Alright I just ordered a pulse 5700.
I know for a fact that Radeon has shitty drivers early on. About how long will I have to suffer with them before they get fixed? Until April maybe?

Don’t listen to that retard, GPU prices will never get better. Buy what you need.

I see.
>Just leave the llc/vdroop to auto?
Yup. Don't touch LLC and leave everything besides the voltage and multiplier on auto.
>Aren't the latest produced cpus the ones that overclock best compared to early batches?
Not always. Most times the longer a chip is out the better chance the company has to bin said chip.

Repostan
Any reccs for a decent secondary monitor for maps and reading text? I'm using 1024x1024 dell tff thing atm but the viewing angles are terrible and it makes weird hissing noises

Only real requirements is vesa compatability and decent viewing angles

Budget is £75,dont mind buying secondhand

nah I'm done waiting. I'm sitting on an Intel Xeon X5670 and Nvidia GTX480 build right now that's not doing what I want. It's loud, and hot. I've been putting off my upgrade for far too long.
whelp everything you just mentioned is the nail in the coffin. So my options right now are X470 and hope the BIOS CPU compatibility works in my favor? Or just build Intel?

This build will be for gaming and editing/rendering my photos and videos from my main Camera.

Not him but are the asrock mATX x570's vrms bad enough that theyre a danger to the board? I just want a fucking microatx board ffs

Recommend the r5 1400 + 2nd hand low end 1080p graphics cards such as the 950/560 or even 570 as for a budget they are much better without being much more expensive

if you dont plan on overclocking at all you should be fine

They're not a danger, but don't go overclocking or expecting top tier PBO boosts on your chip without some serious airflow across the board.
English, do you speak it?

2nd hand laptop panel + control board/leads package: secondary monitor for less than 30 dollars

x470 or b450 will be ok, MSI boards have been recommended but have had MAJOR problems.

b550 should be out eventually, you could just wait for that chipset announcement, we might see some more matx/mitx boards coming out for that

Sentence poorly strucutred =/= suggestion invalid

what would b550 offer over b450 other than out of box 3rd gen ryzen support

>just wait
More fucking waiting AAAAAHHHHHH
what is it you're even saying is what I'm getting at

not him but your sentence is so poorly structured it's not clear at all what you're even saying

>r5 1400
Fucky English aside, unironically this.
Ryzen 5 1400's are still decent, and you can pick them up for fuck all now.
I only sold my R5 1400 because I'd have had no use for it after getting my 3700X.

possibly pci-e 4.0 support and a passive chipset cooling solution? at least that's what some of us are thinking.

I mean instead of the 2400g etc

in all honesty i havent had many issues with my gigabyte x570 itx board, i also dont go jumping onto new BIOSes as soon as they're released

You're saying that the R5-1400 and RX570 is a better 1080p option than the 2400G with iGPU? Yes it is.

worth upgrading from a 2200g to 2600 on an A320?

do you need the extra cores? If not, then no.

I'm saying second hand second hand 1400 and 950/960/560/570 are just bit more than a 2400g but much better

1080p gayming on a gtx 1060

well then you should be fine. The 2200G is a fine CPU for what you're doing. Do you find yourself having a problem with your current combo?

Finished installing all 9 fans.
Hopefully, this will provide enough airflow to cool the Aorus X570 Xtreme when the 3900X or 3950X are in stock.
Would also like to get Morpheus 2 with 2 additional fans, but am afraid that VRMs would get too hot in 5700XT.

Attached: IMG_20190906_150520.jpg (4048x3036, 2.97M)

based 9 fan user

Ok, i may be illiterate, but you guys are tech illiterate

why 9 fans though? It's not like you're cooling 600w worth of shit.

Attached: 1567768669546.png (314x278, 129K)

is that a meshify s2? that's the exact build I was planning on doing before I switched to the h500m and started considering threadripper. fans, motherboard, gpu, and 3950x included.

fucking love it
t. fellow fractal case owner with a mere 3 noctua fans

you actually unrionically have too many fans and are reducing performance. I see at 2 fans that if removed would increase the cooling in the case.

he's living the dream, user

its out right now, the 5700 and 5700xt

for old games, probably never. Only newst games get fixed

which fans would improve cooling?

The two at the bottom suck air up, the three at the front suck air in, the three up to expel air out, the one in the back expels air out.

That's 4 out 5 in. Positive air pressure.

very interested in seeing your temps

I dont plan on overclocking but if I get a 3600 does that mean I wont be seeing 4.2 (or even 4.1 like some people)?

remove 2 fans on top and instead just seal it off.
3 intake 2 bottom intake and 2 output at the top left corner is optimal in terms of performance.
Trust me Im an engineer who has tested this shit

>Only newst games get fixed
fuck

Apparently, all the X570 motherboards need fans, because chipstets get extremely hot with PCIe4 storage.
Aorus Xtreme is cooled passively and the whole Mobo is a giant heatsink.
As such, I really want to give it enough airflow.

I thought about threadripper, but even for data analysis I wouldn't really need it and currently I only have a laptop.
That said, would love to have that sweet 4 channel RAM.

Picrel.

Me too.
Once everything is in place (couple weeks, probably), I'll run extensive tests.

Attached: jSpd1oA_d.jpg (500x483, 14K)

lmao you're full of shit, that whole top of the case is mesh, you can't just simply seal it up, it's open to the air, putting fans there is better than just leaving it empty.

In a situation where you can seal it, sure you're probably right. But not in that case.

right now, no one is seeing proper boost clocks for Ryzen 3000 chips. You should see boost clocks fine, however the VRM's will need some airflow to not kill themselves with heat over time.

>Trust me Im an engineer
lol, always nice when instead of backing up something with evidence or a coherent argument an autist just goes "trust me I'm a"

Dammit.

Interesting.
I'd expect bottom fans to be useless, as they would stop the front ones from blowing through the entire case.
I'm not going to remove them, but will try turning them off.
Thanks, user.

I have to get threadripper now to one up you, you've sealed my fate

here is some issues that I and other anons have tested.

KOTOR 1 - Can't use frame-buffer effects(which are responsible for stealth effects being actually transparent and other visual effects) and soft shadows can't be used otherwise the game crashes and there is no fix for this.
Witcher1- Framerate dips/stutters on vega 56 and a nvidia 970 provides more performance and much less stutters than a vega 56. No such issues on the 5700xt were observed and it's frametime stability was equal to 970, however all the fonts in the game were noticeable visually glitched.
Quantum Break- GPU remains underutilized, over all performance is lower than expected and there is stutter in frametimes. 2060 on the other hand provided better performance and more smooth frametimes(take from internet results, not personal tests) (Talking about a 2060 having stable 60fps while a vega 64 was struggling to get stable 40fps.) The 5700xt has stable framerate on DX12 version of the game, but over all performance is lacking though.
Vampyr- Frametime is unstable when moving in between areas (approximate distance is 10-20m) noticeable stutter that dips well below 30 fps. No such issues observed on 970 which yielded better over all performance and much smaller stutters.
Sacrifice-Both on vega 56 and on 5700xt, very stuttery frametimes.
Generals and Generals Zero hour- Didn't work on vega 56, worked with no issue on 5700xt.

The tests on vega 56 were tested on both windows 7 and 10. R5 2600 CPU.
The tests on 5700xt were done on windows 10. R5 2600 CPU.

there's multiple things at work right now
1) amd tightened up something in one of the AGESA settings due to the reported idle voltage issues we were having
2) windows might be impacting boost features, saw a reddit post yesterday that did debauer's test on linux with Cinebench r15 over wine and it boosted fine
AMD said they were fixing it and the fix is scheduled for release to motherboard vendors on sept 10th i believe.

Godspeed, user.
That's gonna be one great build.

Also, why did you stop considering Meshify?
Is it too small for threadripper EATX boards?

literally only because I wanted to use noctuas 200mm fans. they don't even fit in the h500m I'm going to have to mod the case.

Sweet.
Also, I wish someone did picrel entirely out of those.

Attached: cda750a7c9b2868adb9dfaa963dd3bcb.jpg (440x227, 63K)

>that whole top of the case is mesh, you can't just simply seal it up,
Duck tape retard, or is that too high tech for you.
>it's open to the air, putting fans there is better than just leaving it empty.
No it's not, it's not just about whacking as much fans as possible on, it's about air flow direction, tubulance, feeding cold air to how spots and removing generated hot air in a smooth and orderly fashion.

>dude just teach me air flow dynamics in two sentences
Read a paper on it dummy.

bottom fans aren't useless, front fans aren't useless.
Just removed the top 2 fans and seal it off with ducktape or something if you must.
Also feel free to use ducktape to seal off any smaller areas that you don't wish to cool.

The simplest way I can explain it to normies is that you want a pipe air flow, with intake and output, and your hot components being in the middle of that pipe. The more uniform the airflow the better as well.
So in your case, go for diagonal direction.

m-mines only a define mini c though

Attached: 2019-09-06.jpg (2000x2499, 1.41M)

so I pretty much have the bite the bullet with MSI zen2 BIOS and get the b450m gaming plus if I want a micro atx with good vrms? I have no previous am4 cpu and there are no stores near me that sell mobos, let alone update a BIOS for me so I'd have to go for an MSI board with a flashback button
>wine and it boosted fine
>AMD said they were fixing it and the fix is scheduled for release to motherboard vendors on sept 10th
God I hope those vendors include MSI

>Read a paper on it dummy.
I've read plenty of papers about fluid dynamics. I have a phd in applied mathematics and work with stochastic pdes daily.

should i be waiting for new threadripper and rx 5950 xt (which mean i need to wait and make enough saving for 2 years) or upgrade my i5 4460 and gtx 970 to used 4790k and 1070 ti (which mean i will be only spending USD 300 worth of things) ?

>Duck tape
lmao

Someone post any proof or reports of coil whine problem with the 5700xt PULSE please.

Attached: 1438396274056.gif (917x708, 114K)

trust me I'm a coil whine expert

2 slot cards look so tiny nowadays.

I mostly play pre-2014 stuff
I know radeon struggled a bit with old games but I honestly thought it was just a "they get 20fps less than they should and maybe some screen tearing" kinda thing. This is a bit disheartening but I'll see it out.

How is 5700 XT TUF? Can't see info on it anywhere.
Also how's BIOS Flashback? Theoretically, if the power go off during updating the bios, I'll still be able to update it?

Is the KOTOR thing still present in Wine on Linux?

power goes off mid flash and you got yourself an expensive paperweight

msi will be the last to update, this is tradition

>Dual bios

>if the power go off during updating the bios
oh you dont want that to happen user, dont do that

pls help

Yeah, that's why I'm asking, I'm pretty paranoid about that stuff. Guess I'll just get the service to do it for me.

why the fuck can't I buy a tomahawk max in america?

I won't be buying a mobo until mid october
hopefully that b450m is still in stock and hopefully MSI gets off the short bus by then

then you should know this shit or are you one of those retards who can't think for themselves and is only good at reciting shit they have explicitly read from somewhere?

Is it worth getting 3600X over 3600 if I'm still getting custom cooler?

All GPUs have coil whine. Some are more or less noticeable and depends on how high your frame rate is.

I think the consensus is no, either go to the 3700 or dont bother

Worth paying 100$ more for a 3800x instead of a 3700x?

About to buy this with a 2070S gigabyte oc, anything I should change?

pcpartpicker.com/list/Zdh9jy

I'm not sure about the fans

No, you wish it was that simple that you just get a 20fps reduction.
You get bugs, or stutters, or games crashing/not working.
Drivers on GPUS make a huge difference.

I can't confirm that, but the other user who is helping with the tests also has a linux system up, so when he shows up, you can ask him, or I can mention it to him to see if it is or isn't present.
My guess though is that it probably is.

Attached: sacrifice on vega3.jpg (4720x2992, 2.36M)

rate. Game is solely for gaming and general purpose browsing.

pcpartpicker.com/list/mtDwtg

Attached: 1567211963107.gif (600x600, 93K)

i currently have 2x140 front intake and 1x120 top 1x120 rear out
i found one spare fan would adding it to top as out make any sense or would it fuck with the pressure?

no. The 100MHz boost difference isn't worth that cost premium imo when that $100 could be better spent elsewhere in the overall build. Bigger SSD, upgrade to a better model GPU, etc.

If you're spending $3k+, might as well get the 9900k.

But yea, that's pretty much the current best performance gaming build you can buy.

If you've already got the fan just chuck it in and test it out

Are hdd really obsolete for storage?

Could get a WD blue 2tb for 60$.

solely for gaming though. "might as well get the 9900k" but why? Don't they perform similarly with the 9700k sometimes in the lead?

>for storage
They're fine. The 2 seconds waiting for the disk to spin up to access your shitposting memes and animes won't kill you. Pure SSD for raw storage is a waste.

Or how about a more recent game like Vampyr.
Again it seems really game/driver dependant.
with some new and popular games having no issues what so ever and utilizing all of the power AMD gpus have.
Some older games also have no issues at all.
Then there is games that shit the bed on AMD gpus, examples listed already.

The other user is going to test all of these games on 2070/super as well, to see if it's just old GPUs handing things better, or if indeed it's just AMD drivers that are shitting the bed, or if Nvidia also managed to fuck things up.

Attached: vampy compare1.jpg (3936x3044, 1.27M)