Why isn't technology making basic shelter more affordable? Everything else in life is cheap as fuck...

Why isn't technology making basic shelter more affordable? Everything else in life is cheap as fuck, but a basic wooden house slapped together by boomers is hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I can point to examples like this as progress, but you can't actually buy a 3D printed house anywhere in the U.S.

Attached: y2mate.com - 3d_printed_home_can_be_constructed_for_under_4000_wCzS2FZoB-I_360p.webm (640x360, 2.27M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8WkvjD1ZK5o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because there's money to be made there, this is the world we choose to live in

Building itself is cheap as fuck because of modern concrete working technologies.

Its owning a shred of land that is expensive.

That's a very small and space inefficient home, like, wait until they can build bigger homes with 2 or 3 floors

Because what’s appreciating is the value of the land underneath the house, not the structure itself. Building indeed has become much cheaper and more standardized - the issue is building in a place people actually, you know, want to live

This It's land that is expensive and the more our population increases, the more expensive it will get.

That cuckshed on your pic could be built from modern materials like styrofoam filled concrete blocks in a couple of hours for like 500$ beer included.

imagine buying a $70,000 block of land only to put a container-sized $4,000 "home" on it

>hundreds of thousands of dollars.
>"An imprecise or unknown number between one hundred thousand and a million; numbering hundreds of thousands."

You can build a shelter for like $5k USD if you must. I don't see why you think you need to build something costing $100k USD or more. Depending on where you live, property taxes and insurance might be more than the $5k USD used to build the structure. Though, that will depend on the structure type and what zoning it falls under if that location has various zoning and regulation laws. If you live in BFE then it may not have specifics. Then you can spend like $2k for a nice, but small storage shed and $3k for 2-4 acres of land depending on where in BFE it is. Since that would be all you need for a permanent shelter. Then call it your, "hunting cabin," so people can fuck off trying to siphon more money from you.

>3D printed house
3D printers are super simple to make now. All you'd need is the equipment for other things cobbled together to make the boom for laying the cement/expanding foam. You could get that for under $10k used, if you are good at tinkering and fixing things. Then you could make a few houses for other people, charge them respectably, and have the cost of your setup and building your own house all paid off. If you don't want the outside of the house looking like layers of toothpaste I suggest finishing it off with a layer of plaster/cement/whatever. That will help it shed water and last much longer too. You'd be able to have your own business making housing for people cheaply if you wanted to.

Where I live, $70k would net you anywhere from 50 to 80 acres of land. It may be BFE, but it is really nice being able to pick up a few acres per paycheck, cobble something together, then flip it, rent it, lease it, or hunt on it.

Attached: 3D Printed Home.webm (480x270, 2.76M)

>Why isn't technology making basic shelter more affordable?
>wooden house
Rammed earth, prebuilt modulars, and concrete blocks are all pretty cheap. Getting labor, water source, sewage, electricity, and services are pretty expensive though (both off, and off grid).

Real estate retard

Ownership of the LAND

You think it would have been better if soviets won and took over the world?

Its buying land and property taxes makes it fucking expensive not building it, i bet its cheaper to ship a bunch of poles and built it

What about living above the land?

>a basic wooden house slapped together by boomers is hundreds of thousands of dollars
Most of the cost is the land, not construction.

>>Its owning a shred of land that is expensive.
But the small portion of land is only like 1/10th the price when purchased separately.

>Rammed earth
Cob is cheaper and just as good for general house building even in humid wet climates. It is also a lot less work. I've done both and I can say, "fuck rammed earth." If you do rammed earth, get one of those machines to do it at the very least.

>its the land and taxes!!!!!
What is wrong with you people? OP specifically stated the shelter cost, not the land or tax costs.

Attached: Oculus rift.webm (480x360, 692K)

Making a house is cheap

But land is expensive

So i buy my land in Asia and built a few beach homes mostly for rental

While snowbirds rent it out they pay for my mortgage here

The price of shelter isn't about how much it cost to make it. It's about how much people are willing to pay to beat out someone else's attempt to not live in the ghetto.

Land is fucking expensive

you are not maximising your land value by building this on it.

What about Hurricanes and Tornados?

Most money lend out by banks are for housing in one way or another, if you keep shoveling money at something for long enough price goes up.

What about them? It's your fault if you live where hurricanes or tornadoes is a thing.

>comes with IoT
>which lets you change the temperature from a tablet

wow such future

Prefab houses are superior.

my aunt had a touchscreen display with that ability literally 2 decades ago

I wonder if you are forced to link it to Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant, Cortana, or Bixby and constantly update it. I wonder if it has ads. I wonder what viruses are written for it. What I don't wonder about is if it is a botnet or not. I think I'll stick with my $10 Honeywell thermostat.

Attached: 1567252195739.jpg (1080x1048, 186K)

A nigger could destroy all those with just a hammer

Holy fuck I would buy that house in an instant if it was that price. What a a comfy way to live

>Poltard brings racism to thread

Grow up

The same can be said of 99% of housing.

What about living underneath the ground ?

The same can be said about 99% of niggers.

>Despite being only 13% of housing.

>doing all that shit instead of just getting 4 concrete slabs that can be mass produced for literal pennies.
3d printing houses is the stupidest meme ever and is only going to see use in some designer homes that want whacky designs.

>yuroyurts reduced to living in one room concrete box-hovels

In america maybe lol

In china the poors live in tiny cages within apartments and rent with half a dozen others.

Now we can 3d print their tiny shithole house cages

-The Future

You do realize that hammers are normally what is used to break down walls, right?

Attached: Berlin Wall.jpg (1024x512, 105K)

As terrible as bad design is, don't hate on a good tool just because retards are using said tool.

Houses are cheap. It's just expensive to buy land in a place you want to live. And it's expensive because the people who already live there want it to be.

My dream is to get a job where I work from home, move to the outskirts of a major city and build a cuckshed on a piece of affordable land. Then build a real house after saving over the years. When I retire call the cuckshed a guest house and sell the now prime property location to the $3,000,000,000 a year starting salary nu-mer in charge of the nanobot javascript, move into the woods with a loli sexbot and die after it twists my dick off with its cunny because of chink hackers.

it's not a good tool you bitch. it's literally the most ineffective way to build "basic shelters" like op wanted.

I think I saw a vice episode about that

It is a terrifically good tool for quickly and efficiently making good architectural designs that would normally cost an arm and a leg to make. It also happens to meet the OP's needs as well. I'm not sure what you are on about.

Because the land worth living on already has houses built on it

what is wrong with you?
the op made the incorrect assumption that bill of materials was the expensive part
he was informed of the reality of that being completely wrong

Because the real estate cartel won't let that happen.

then why not focus on improving technology that makes living in the ghetto tolerable?

OP posted a $4k home and asked why other homes don't cost this cheaply. The only fault he is doing is not considering the cost of square foot when comparing the one in his webm and a $100k home. Everyone else, including you, is just an idiot.

Unironically yes. Plus, none of us chose this world, it was chosen for us. And we killed the one man who wanted to make it right.

Money.
Repubs want to keep the real estate market afloat because they have a vested interest in doing so. How else do you think congressmen make millions on their $300k salary? It's not magic (or is it?)
Dems want to charge you a gogrillion dollars in licensing fees because they are missing out on fatty tax dollars by spending 1/10th of what you would have with a traditional mortgage

I would love to see this happen but like an old boss of mine once said, "how will this [your change] make me money? If it can't then there is no way we're ever going to implement it"

>OP posted a $4k home and asked why other homes don't cost this cheaply.
they do, that is the cost of putting up a shed
that's a shed, it doesn't have amenities

Land/rent price is 100% political issue. Has nothing to do with technology.

>it doesn't have amenities
Which could cost millions.

Oh look, here's another retard who can't read. lol

Attached: 1532145573585.png (332x338, 129K)

What does that even mean?
Building a house is expensive because it is complex, if you are somewhat competent and have a few friends you can build your own wooden structure in a couple of weeks.

But the raw materials and putting them together is just a small part, you have to put in bureaucratic efforts, connect it to electricity, water sewage, internet, gas, pay for the interior, painting, flooring, etc, etc..

The thing that has changed is what people demand from their homes, but the structure in itself is dirt cheap to build.

>Everything else in life is cheap as fuck
Evidence?

It gets worse if you live in an area where coding requires licensed professionals to do certain or even all aspects.

>tfw your father got certified for everything then fucked off to build all his own shit and saved $100s of thousands of dollars in the process

Come on user, don't you know the Earth belongs to the government? The age of settling in land is over? All land now has an owner. Nothing is safe. Welcome to humanity.

Good for your father and not for you

He's right tho. Home owners block property development on land they don't even own in every city and every state.

>reading comprehension score: 0

Considering I own everything he owned, it worked out all right for me.

it's expensive to buy land in places bugmen want to live

Modern houses are shit. Either they are designed layout wise like whoever drew the plans was on crack. or they are built in such a fucking fast pace that in about a year you got massive defects hitting you in the face that need fixing. Which oh by the way, your on the hook for. Lack of insulation is a common thing which sadly you won't notice till it gets colder and your heat bill arrives. Random leaks is another due to sloppy shingle work. Decide to tile your floor? Better hope it's properly structured otherwise watch those tiles and grout crack like butter. Which on a new house is a very likely thing to happen.

You get the point. Sure new houses look fine but under that fancy shit may be lurking a money pit.

Wrong, labour is the most expensive part.

Capitalism

Wrong, management of laborers is the most expensive part.

shitty euro houses are already basically 3d printed. One of the many advantages like combined storm and sewer lines.

Technology can't fix selfishness, stupidity, and short-sightedness.
Not without a lot of human rights related complaints anyway.

What's with all the communists here?

How do you think for a second a device that allows for the democratization of labor would actually be allowed or conceived in a communist society? When the defining characteristic of your place in society is the needs and provisions that you provide; if you take the ability away from workers to do work you abstract them from their identity. Only through market forces or authoritarian controls can you create effective labor. You have to deal with those dispossessed people. In the latter, they find meager living and end up a drain because there is no reason for them to strive to do better.

1. 3D printing is limited to the size of the printer.
2. Cement is not a medium to use, to abide by codes in the United States (would not withstand earthquakes).

Building under the ground is labor intensive, with a high risk of floods. Plus, most people want a view...

>because there is no reason for them to strive to do better
Stop perpetuating this meme, most people will always strive for improvements to their lives when they are available.

Not every house needs to be earthquake resistant, and for those that do, base isolation is an option. But that might not be enough for multiple stories (which I don't think this thing can really do anyway at the moment)
And it might be possible to get around the size issue by having the printer be either a very precise crane with some cables attached to posts pulling the nozzle down or having the printer's structure be expandable (you have to disassemble it for transport anyway).

Not everyone has earthquake codes. In fact only a small portion of the US has those sorts of codes.

Attached: Skyscrapers in Tokyo swaying in Earthquake.webm (640x360, 2.91M)

> it would have been better if soviets took over the world
> but we can't have nice things because hitler is dead
get your ideologies straight user this is embarrassing

Cement is also a terrible choice to use in extreme climates: stays cold in the winter / stays hot in the summer.

By including metal framing within the layers (could be placed by hand), a very strong structure can be printed. However, I'm not sure how the stronger steel frame of a large building could be constructed in conjunction.

In any case, smaller structures could certainly be printed.

>cement
Check the foam stuff in this vid, >metal framing
Check the metal grating cross bracing in this vid, Also, this building is mostly reinforced concrete. Current cement-based 3D printers could conceivably be used for anything from concrete to shotcrete. It just means changing a few things. It is merely an engineering problem as to how to develop it. I don't currently know the ratio of ingredients for the product used in the cement-based 3D printers to say how much aggregate they use, but they appear to have small diameter aggregate while acting more like a mortar. It is weird. Regardless, automation can be done with massive structures eventually.

Attached: Burj_Khalifa.jpg (1024x1793, 1.13M)

>>That foam
Yes, that would do nicely. I like how it can be cut as needed, but how strong is it?

>but how strong is it?
Check the vid around 20-25 seconds in. It shows lots of upright metal studding. The foam isn't structural.

Attached: Untitled.png (479x270, 281K)

Most people do not. They find the areas they are comfortable in and they stay there. It's fairly rare for people to colour outside the lines in a productive manner.

youtube.com/watch?v=8WkvjD1ZK5o

even if you could, why bother? the land use is what costs money and the local working people building homes and home materials have a lot of experience building homes in what you'd consider being less affordable.

How does this compare to putting plywood pieces as molds and then pouring in concrete from a mixer truck?

I'm talking about lots that are in suburbs of my small city. The land will sell for like 20k and the homes around it are worth like 120-200k