Why do people use Linux when it's such a shit-show?

Why do people use Linux when it's such a shit-show?

You have 500 distributions in development with basically no cross-platform programs.

Each distribution requires in-depth study to make function correctly with other pieces of software.

Device drivers are an absolute nightmare.

Program development is a mess and to make it work everyone runs Python or some other VM to avoid having to interact with the OS.

Overall Linux is a flaming pile of shit that free-tards defend because it's free.

Attached: Yrnewx8.png (1027x731, 28K)

ok rajesh five rupees are have deposit to your cheque account. thank you sir

it makes them fell themselves special

500 distros and they're all better than windows.

Attached: 1513044049594.gif (480x228, 499K)

your country's streets are the real shitshow

>Options are bad
>Apu want told what do!

Why do you guys meme this? Way more Indians push Linux/freeshit than windows.

Fuck go to some open-source conference and it's a mix of pajeets and trannies.

based and redpilled

benchod fuck you bloody bastard sir

>broken english
>thinks python is a vm
>has clearly never used linux

does shitposting on Jow Forums bring in enough to feed your family?

Python does run on a VM, as does Java which acts as an intermediate between the OS/Kernel and the script.

You just got rekt by

facts

>samefagging this hard

>You have 500 distributions in development with basically no cross-platform programs.
That's wrong, linux programs run on all distros. You're retarded.
>Program development is a mess and to make it work everyone runs Python or some other VM to avoid having to interact with the OS.
Most people use cross platform libs like the standard library or QT to interact with the OS so they don't have to care about the OS at all. You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Why do people shill Windows when it's such a shitshow?

You have one fucking basic version of Windows and still can't get it to fucking work right.

Windows 10 requires in-depth study to make function correctly even by itself.

Device drivers are an absolute nightmare.

Program development is a mess and to make it work everyone runs bloated shity Visual Studio to avoid having to interact with sane fucking libraries.

Overall Windows is a flaming pile of shit that paid shills post on Jow Forums all the time because Microsoft is running scared.

Ban Microsoft-owned IP ranges from Jow Forums. Now.

I like how you guys think that it's the corporations that are behind these shitposts and not just retards who can't into lunix or just rabid fanboys.

>Linux programs run on all distros.

ahem, no they don't. And if you can't see the absurdity of having to run a VM as a secondary OS ontop of your OS to get anything to work right, idk what to tell you.

Are you seriously saying windows is less stable and has more bugs than any of the Linux distros?

ahahah

"Each distribution requires in-depth study to make function correctly with other pieces of software." bruh moment. go home nigger

You don't know what a VM is. Kill yourself

>Why do people use Linux when it's such a shit-show?
Linux is a kernel.

>You have 500 distributions in development
>Each distribution requires in-depth study to make function correctly with other pieces of software.
Yes, you have to learn to write "emerge app" instead of "apt install app". I know its hard but you can do it!

>Device drivers are an absolute nightmare.
You have never used GNU/Linux have you? Get an up to date distro and literally everything works out of the box.

>Program development is a mess and to make it work
Have you ever programmed on Windows?

>everyone runs Python or some other VM
>Python
>VM
How many of your Windows programs are actually browsers in disguise? More than you think!

>avoid having to interact with the OS.
Just stick to POSIX and standard C lib and you're cross unix and whatever-windows-is portable (mingw64 is a blessing).

>with basically no cross-platform programs.
>ahem, no they don't. And if you can't see the absurdity of having to run a VM as a secondary OS ontop of your OS to get anything to work right, idk what to tell you.
Basically everything you normally need is in repo of every single distribution, and for obscure stuff, git clone, ./configure && make && make install. Even god damn Windows programs and games run just fine natively with wine. What the fuck are you talking about?

This bait is so good and the amout of samefagging in this thread is incredible. What an absolute work of art.

Attached: SVfUXmY.png (3931x2536, 949K)

Bullshit, arch and Gentoo are memes for a reason.

Ubuntu works and if Ubuntu was the only Linux distribution I would maybe view Linux as a whole better but that's not the way it is - repeating again you have 500 different versions with significant differences between them to the point even Linus says it's absurd. One of the reasons he maintains such control over the kernel is he sees how out of hand the distributions have gotten.

Windows is by every measure a more complete, stable, consistent and easy to use operating system both from the application development perspective and from the users perspective.

Why are you against choice?
>One of the reasons he maintains such control over the kernel is he sees how out of hand the distributions have gotten.
The kernel binding them all together is a good thing, everything is a chroot away.

You're such a retard. Stop posting here immediately. Only distros that matter are redhat/fedora, Ubuntu/Debian, and SLES/OpenSuse. If the other distros didn't exist, it's not like all those devs will work on the one listed before. You compared a kernel they share to their userspace shit. That shows how much of a retard you are. low IQ winnigger

Yes they do. And you don't. Fuck off and stop making things up about things you don't understand.

Shitty bait.
Windows is crap. Fuck you wintoddler

>the most successful and widely used OS is crap.

Freetards truly are delusional, if their commie OS's were remotely good it would dominate - they don't. They don't because they are shit.

>Most used
That's wrong. You're delusional.

You can't count android since phones are not the same as desktop PCs m8.

>windows is successful because of the OS
top kek

Only distros needed are gentoo arch fedora and debian prove me wrong

Linux is a kernel that runs in operating systems. Which OS are you referring to?

>implying Linux doesn't already dominate
100% of the top 500 fastest supercomputers run Linux.
Majority of devices (phones, tablets, smart TV's, routers, blu-ray players, etc.) run Linux.
Most VM's (more than 50%) on Microsoft's Azure cloud computing platform are running Linux.
Majority of all internet-facing servers run Linux.

The *only* place Linux ISN'T #1 is the "home" or "consumer" desktop/laptop, because the vast majority of people are completely incompetent.

Everywhere it actually matters what OS you run, Linux already dominates completely.

>You have 500 distributions in development with basically no cross-platform programs.
There's basically only two, Debian and Red hat.

I don't even care enough to answer the rest of your stupid comments.

Linux drivers are really nice, but I wouldn’t really describe them as “everything works out of the box”, especially for less common setups. I’ve had issues with graphics (NVIDIA Optimus, every solution is subpar in some way) and ethernet (after some troubleshooting, just used wifi since it Just Werked).
The problem is less that these problems exist - of course, bugs will always exist - but that the general consensus seems to be “fix it yourself”, which is super daunting for anyone who doesn’t program, and still pretty annoying for people who can.
Although I suppose it’s better than sending in a ticket, getting “sir have you try reinstall the windows”, and no other answers.

Why do people buy cars when they're such a shit show?

You have 500 different versions in development and basically not a single part is cross vehicle.

Each car requires in depth study to fix anything on it correctly with the specifics. And you can't even do it yourself, you have to buy the parts

Everything scams you in some way. You have to pay insurance just to be on the road and get a license when most people couldn't even pass a real driving test and you're constantly risking your life.

Overall vehicles are flaming piles of shit out to scam you and your money with insurance and payments that don't do shit

Unlike cars which ALL have these issues, Windows and Mac don't. Retard fucking idiot shithead cock bitch whore ass.

It's free (as in beer).
A big selling point with the homeless, socially-excluded poorfags infesting 4chins.

>Retard fucking idiot shithead cock bitch whore ass
Oh. Wow... I bet he's so offended. Tell me, why does your mommy let you on Jow Forums? We don't want to be associated with the school shooter you'll eventually become.

JUst install Gentoo

>100% of the top 500 fastest supercomputers run Linux.
Nobody cares.
>Majority of devices (phones, tablets, smart TV's, routers, blu-ray players, etc.) run Linux.
Because historical accident (Android).
>Most VM's (more than 50%) on Microsoft's Azure cloud computing platform are running Linux.
Because free (as in beer).
>Majority of all internet-facing servers run Linux.
Because free (as in beer).

please switch to another board and ideally commit suicide

because they all are dipshit.

ya and windows included as well. where do you tech illiterate fags come from? at least on linux you can see half the hardware side of shit instead of some opaque kernel mode shitcode that's vulnerable to various data leaks.

no, clearly you don't dipshit. Python's CPython is a VM, albeit a very very shitty one but still turns some code into a bytecode that gets transformed into actual platform software.

wow, you really don't know what a VM is

Wow imagine getting so butthurt you become paranoid too.

Pic related

Attached: Screenshot_20190908-023642.jpg (1440x3120, 576K)

I love how the corporations are still trying to hide their shilling when it's horribly obvious to everyone.
Windows is a buggy pile of shit that gets buggier the longer you have it installed on a computer, GNU just works.

Nvidia graphics is the only thing a typical user might need to install, its almost always "everything just works" otherwise. Also funny you mention ethernet, for my setup its exact opposite, does not work on windows, works out of the box in linux. No OS is perfect.

Tho Linux destroys Windows USB support easily. I have multiple obscure over a century old devices, drivers either do not work in modern Windows or have disappeared forever with the manufacturer. Meanwhile its all plug and play in linux.

Yea, this is pretty much it.

I haven't seen this much dumb dumb in a single thread in a long time.

This one especially
>Windows is by every measure a more complete, stable, consistent and easy to use operating system both from the application development perspective and from the users perspective.
You've been asked this multiple times, have you ever used GNU/Llinux, or programmed anything compiled?

Attached: 9.gif (344x367, 189K)

Windows sucks so much ass I'd rather just use some obscure non functioning linux distro at this point because at least then I know what to expect.

Microsoft doesn't know what the fuck they're doing anymore and neither do their users at this point.

nope, they caught me fair and square. No need to try to hide it for me

pic related

Attached: 2019.09.07-20.44.25.271256751.png (979x539, 68K)

The illusion of control and the resulting avalanche of responsibility when it turns out to not be an illusion. Freedom ain't free beer.

Fucking checked

dumb get

Quints of truth

install gentoo

>over a century old devices
what fucking devices do you have from 1918?

It's a VM idiot, you're free to look it up.

When ever an update comes out to various libs half the Linux distros break, lel.

I program on windows using Visual Studio and MSDNs excellent documentation.

Even Linuxs documentation is a flaming pile of shit.

These tards get personally invested in it after spending 100 hours recompiling with different configs in an attempt to get their wifi card working.

The rest of your shit is retarded too, but using device drivers as an argument is peak retardation.

>autism

>Even Linuxs documentation is a flaming pile of shit.

>he doesn't know about man

OP, you're a useless faggot, but I'll reply.

I only target and care about Debian and Ubuntu. That's two distros, and most shit that just works on Debian also just works on Ubuntu.
and even if I only bother dealing with those two, my shit still usually just works elsewhere

>Each distribution requires in-depth study to make function correctly with other pieces of software.
see above
most shit just works anyway because few things are actually distro dependent beyond what dependencies you'd expect to have installed, and package management solves that issue
adds the other issue of having to package for each distro, but most people just make a .deb for Debian and Ubuntu, and a .rpm for Fedora and Red Hat, and leave it at that, no one cares about any other special snowflake distro

most shit just works
installing outside drivers is a mess, but the Linux driver model is basically designed so that the user should never have to fuck with installing drivers, ever
in practice, this isn't true for a lot of reasons, but again, most shit just works, especially if I'm using Ubuntu or Debian

>Program development is a mess and to make it work everyone runs Python or some other VM to avoid having to interact with the OS.
literal bullshit
many programs are in Python because it's easy as shit and popular, rather than avoiding actual Unix programming
writing programs on Linux is pretty easy, too

>wifi
install ubuntu, which doesn't care about freetardation and just includes the needed firmware for the card on the DVD
no one's compiling anything either

>When ever an update comes out to various libs half the Linux distros break, lel.
as far as I can tell, you've never even seen a Linux machine, let alone used Linux

I'll take the bsit
>Why do people use Linux when it's such a shit-show?
It's better than the alternatives
Plain wrong. Most software is crossplatform
No, distros are 99% the same.
Literally everything is included in the kernel and works right out the box.
THE os for development. I don't understand your Python comment.
>Overall Linux is a flaming pile of shit that free-tards defend because it's free.
Free as in speech. Give me liberty or give me death.

Lies.

java is a vm, but python is generally considered an interpreter

> 500 distributions in development
with only a few relevant ones
> no cross-platform programs
all executables built to Linux Standard Base (LSB) run on all other LSB distros. also for windows programs, there is Wine
> Device drivers are an absolute nightmare
No; also this is something you can check before installing Linux. all common hardware has had drivers written
> Program development is a mess
C programming is beautiful in Linux. You type "man XXX" and get instant help on gcc, glibc (the C standard library), POSIX threads, system calls, pipes, sockets, processes, and everything else you ever need. No need for an IDE either, just vim and make. C programming just werks on Linux. Now compare to Windows.

you can see every program running on linux, while apple and microsoft can have tons of malicious things running in the background that you have to just live with. it's like asking why someone chooses to have a line of sight to their kids playing outside instead of just ignoring them. it's better to be sure of their well being. linux protecs kids.

because your shit economy makes it possible for microsoft to pay you guys to shill