What OS do you use at work?

What OS do you use at work?
What's your role? language you use (if applicable??
Do you think switching to another OS will make you more productive? Which one?

Also, what's the reason why some companies still issue developers with Windows machines? The programs they develop will most likely be deployed in another OS (linux, android, etc). Is it just the "mainstream familiarity" with windows (i.e. more popular)?

Attached: intellij-in-windows.png (998x799, 194K)

>jetbrains ide
Based.

I use arch but I'm a studentfag, I used to use windows tho and I would get distracted a lot bc of games. Now with arch, I cant even watch videos

>What OS do you use at work?
osx
>What's your role? language you use (if applicable??
dev/java
>Do you think switching to another OS will make you more productive? Which one?
yeah, gnu/linux. tiling window managers.

WINDOWS 10, MOTHERFUCKER

>What's your role?

I WORK AT A COMPANY, MOTHERFUCKER

>language you use??

ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER

NO OF COURSE NOT, MOTHERFUCKER

Linux. Maybe you've heard of it?
Hacker
Heh. Like I said kid, I use Linux.

Windows 10. Crew Member. English. No.

Gnu/Linux, Infrastructure engineer, mostly bash and powershell for automayyshun.

OSX and python. I like the MacBook but the android integration in windows is making me want one for the first time in a while. Windows has a lot of good professional IDE support, like JetBrains.

Windows 10
Sales Associate (promoted to customer now)

Attached: 1528325796179s.jpg (125x122, 3K)

Windows
Eclipse
C++
I want to die

Sometimes Linux (Fedora 30), sometimes Windows. We have both "cloud" SaaS and desktop app offerings, if I have to develop for desktop I use Windows 10, if I'm working cloud stuff I use Linux.

.NET dev here. I maintain some software used heavily within my company's R&D and product development cycles.

I've used windows, Linux, and OSX. Currently on win 10.

> What OS do you use at work?
Windows 10
> What's your role? What language you use (if applicable)?
Developer. Exclusively C# and Python.
> Do you think switching to another OS will make you more productive? Which one?
No, of course not. Windows is chock full of features and has tons of awesome software. Linux is a fucking joke, and nothing works on it at all. Windows isn't bloated, it's not part of your retarded botnet, and they're about to release a tiling window manager. Linux users BTFO.

Windows 10
Junior Dev
C# mainly
woud prefer OSX or linux but windows is probably easier if I'm mainly using c#

>never name these "extra features" that "require" so much ram.
>finally gets tilting window manager after years
>l-l-linux BTFO
The only good point is that windows has some good exclusive software,the rest is sad to read coping in an attempt to look like a flex.

Usually arch, right now windows due to windows specific project

Full stack web dev currently working in js/node, PHP, Haskell and ASP

We sell products that only work on windows so I have win10 so I can support it. It's so fucking garage, explorer locks up weekly, fucking updates auto reboot the machine whether it feels like, office apps and visual studio steal focus from everything. Apparently our stuff works in VMs now so I might switch to dual boot. Most development I do is on a Ubuntu VM in vim.
IT also wants us to use teams and our CTO wants us to move from aws to azure. How the fuck can Microsoft keep churning out such unmitigated garbage?

I use Ubuntu, dev, clojure.
most devs got macs.
IT were sneaky and didn't let new hires know they can even get a a linux machine.
I think companies issue developers with windows machines for several reasons:
incompetence / not created by people from tech field
developing for windows
IT department + security. They're easier to manage for them.

based

>promoted to customer now
heh

How many of you guys actually build on your local machine ? My physical machine is a windows laptop. My sources and build environment live on a Linux box in the cloud.

osx

data engineer

python, bash, some java/go

no

Ubuntu GNU/Linux. (I unplug the Windows 10 workstation and plug in my laptop.)
Researcher. C, C++, Matlab.
Switching would not make me more productive. I switched to Ubuntu for that reason.
Companies likely find it easier to procure machines with either Windows or MacOS preinstalled. Companies will change if the day of the cheap Ubuntu OEM laptop ever comes. (Most likely never in first-world countries, possible in third- and second- world developing places)

Fedora 30.
Developer, Python.
>Do you think switching to another OS will make you more productive?
No. I've tried all major operating systems at length - I've used macOS more than most of you, spoiler: it sucks. Fedora has been the best overall OS for me (Arch was a close second, but I dislike how AUR requires a separate package manager).
>Also, what's the reason why some companies still issue developers with Windows machines?
They don't care. It works for them, so it should work for you, and it does, but "it works" is the smallest accomplishment an OS can have, but that's all they care about. This attitude is on its way out though.

Windows 10 but we remotely log into linux servers from our windows computers for all our software dev stuff

MacOS
Software engineer
Java, some TypeScript
No, if I had to switch I'd use xubuntu

It's easy to buy computers set up with windows, stuff mostly works and time is money. Also a lot of devs use c# that's easier to develop on windows.

Based. Exactly like me

the fuck does a data engineer do?

maintain/improve logging infrastructure; lots of elk, kafka, k8s, bunch of misc services both written in house/externally, write some python/java/go

GNU/Linux (Arch), but we can choose whichever OS we want
>What's your role?
Dev
>Language you use?
Python/JavaScript (mostly python tho)
No

jetvrains stuff is supported everywhere.

I develop enterprise software using docker, kubernetes and the likes and Windows' support on them is shit.

Ubuntu 18.04
Machine learning researcher - Python, Bash
Switching to another distro makes no difference, Switching to Windows is out of question as academia mostly uses linux.

GNU + Linux (Fedora)
>What's your role?
PhD candidate
>language you use
Mostly C++, some Python, rarely JavaScript
No

>Also, what's the reason why some companies still issue developers with Windows machines? The programs they develop will most likely be deployed in another OS (linux, android, etc). Is it just the "mainstream familiarity" with windows (i.e. more popular)?
"If we pay for it it must be good"

>OS
Windows 7

>Role
Junior developer

>Language
Mainly Java, bit of Python

glinux
>sw eng, c++, python, go
I would rape you if it meant I could use visual studio

Windows 7 Enterprise
Operations manager for a Bank
No
>Also, what's the reason why some companies still issue developers with Windows machines? The programs they develop will most likely be deployed in another OS (linux, android, etc). Is it just the "mainstream familiarity" with windows (i.e. more popular)?
Maybe people writing server side code will deal with other OS but for anyone writing client side they are either writing for the browser or for Windows at their place of work. Also for any large organisation it does not make sense to have to support more desktop environments, you lose scalability.

>for any large organisation it does not make sense to have to support more desktop environments, you lose scalability
what needs to be 'scaled'?
can't linux and osx join an active directory? or vice versa with ldap

Did you switch to DotNetCore?

Did you try wsl2 and the new docker?

>Also, what's the reason why some companies still issue developers with Windows machines?
nosoft nodrivers
>The programs they develop will most likely be deployed in another OS (linux, android, etc).
t. webdev goblin

grpc doesn't work

Windows 7 on our machines, but we use them to access mainframes running z/OS using 3270 terminal softwares.
>What's your role?
Analyst/programmer
>language you use??
COBOL, SQL and JCL
No

Attached: Ami_computer.gif (500x373, 434K)

lol, same here but using manjaro & Jetbrains soft

>Windows 10
>geophysicist
>python

Switching OS isn't a possibility since several day to day software packages are developed for winderps.

Some things are simpler in Linux and I used to have a dual boot setup. This isn't necessary any more with Windows subsystem Linux, which allows me to run all the things I need in bash. This set up gives me the best of both worlds IMO.

Attached: winbuntu.png (1828x719, 984K)

>ALL CAPS?
CAUSE I CAN, MOTHERFUCKER
>based?
HELL FUCKING YEAH, MOTHERFUCKER

Windows 10
Reverse Engineer for Cyber Security company. Mostly Python.
I use Linux on my personal laptop. At this point it doesn't matter what I use. Threats target Windows users so I must know Windows. I develop software so I must use Linux.

Ubuntu
Android and Full-Stack (meme job I know), Java, TS, some Python and Go for scripting
Nah I'm fine

grpc is shit!

>and they're about to release a tiling window manager
source on that user? can't seem to find anything by googling

Kubuntu. Am dev, not gonna disclose more

windows 10, recent reimage from windows 7
dev, java w/ some python
I basically spend my time in cygwin and since reimage wsl, really a linux guy and thinking of switching
main problem is our voip software doesnt really support anything but windows (and apparently the google chrome browser)

Linux, Fedora 30
Developer, networking stuff. C/C++ and Python/Bash for simple scripts.
I imagine developing on anything other than Linux would be a pain.

I don't know, from my experience developers can usually use whatever system they want.

>I imagine developing on anything other than Linux would be a pain.
Developping on an actual unix is just as good if not better thanks to some tools available on systems like AIX and other system V-based unixes. Developping on z/OS with ispf on a tso session is just way more comfortable tho.

>Did you switch to DotNetCore?
In the process, currently. Looking forward to .NET 5

>not gonna disclose more
Lol nobody cares

macos
game engineer, c# unity
yeah either Linux or Windows would improve my productivity. macos is a sluggish piece of shit, forgets my display arrangements, and graphics switching is completely broken

Windows 7, 10
Team lead working on simulation software in the energy industry.
C++, C#, Python, Power Shell
No, as I rely on Visual Studio and OneNote fairly regularly. Everything else in my workflow is cross platform.

This

>Fedora 30
same, best one so far

gLinux
Software Engineer, C
Nah

Self employed but using Windows.
Developing marketing applications. Using mostly Scala for my backends.
No, I'm fine.

MacOS
Dev
No way in hell
I can’t answer this question, but some devs still request windows machines and have a hard time getting a good dev env set up.

Windows 7. Not my first choice, but it works and it was on there. All that matters is that I can use the programs I need.
I'm pretty sure switching to anything else will make me a lot less productive. At least for the first months.
Colleague, autistic as a motherfucker, has to have linux. He's made a tunnel spaghetti, using a raspberry and his phone to get his machine to work on our network. He's so fucking unproductive I have had to scold him several times, but it's still a drama.
Even when our servers, that run opensuse linux, had to be migrated I had to do all the work, even though he's supposed to be the expert.
Sorry, this is starting to get unrelated. My view of linux has dramatically changed productivity wise, but that's mostly because of its users. He's not the first. Many seem to be in it for the show. There are some that can do some very impressive shit though, but they are few.
I wish I could do that shit too, but I can't be arsed to learn it all anymore.

>OS
Windows 7
>Role
Senior System Analyst/Software life cycle management and random shit that lands in my lap.
I use Python, Java and Powershell at work. I use C/ASM/Rust for my own projects and for special cases at work.

I wish our security team would get off my dick and audit Ubuntu LTS or CentOS for desktop use and let me install Windows 10 in a VM for Windows administration tasks.
About 60% of our deployments are Linux servers the rest is 2008/2012/2016 Server, I just feel it is easier to do my job with the setup I mentioned above.

we have a byod policy ... i use windows.
frontend dev. typescript/angular. i also use jetbrains ...

>frontend dev. typescript/angular.
i want to get into this

what does your daily job look like? fixing bugs?

> What OS do you use at work?
Arch Linux
> What's your role? language you use (if applicable??
I'm a software developer working on a chromium fork for embedded devices (TV), sometimes I apply patches to upstream chromium. I mostly c++, but also python, shell, javascript
> Do you think switching to another OS will make you more productive? Which one?
No, the software only runs on linux. The devices we run on also run linux.

> What's the reason why some companies still issue developers with Windows machine
I believe where i live, using linux on desktop at work is pretty common (more than in the US). At my old job we used to use windows and then switched to linux. When we switched to linux we were able to get better hardware since we didn't have to pay for tons of windows licenses and support. I believe the reason companies are using windows is because they order hardware in bulk and want consistency (for mail, etc) and everybody knows how to use windows but not all non-developers knows how to use linux and they are used to using proprietary windows office tools.
At my job now, even the boss uses linux. Only the designers use something else (mac os)

fixing bugs, arguing with designers mostly. also a lot of git and 6-8 hour rebases when there are bigger structural changes.

Windows 7
Backend Dev
C# mostly.
Windows 10 would make Docker easier.

Doesn't matter what our software is going to run on if Visual Studios doesn't run on Linux, now does it?

vscode runs on linux but not vs

They aren't even remotely the same thing. Bottom line is if you're using C# and not using MSVS then you're doing it wrong. You'll just be swimming up stream the whole time.

If you have a problem with that then you just gotta not use C#.

>They aren't even remotely the same thing.
no one said they were. lrn 2 read

Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
Software architect
Tired of outdated software in Ubuntu's repos, considering switching to Fedora.

Windows 10
Electronics Engineering/Embedded programmer.
C.
No, because I need lots of various proprietary tool chains, flashers, simulators, debuggers, cad packages which are only available on Windows.

Manjaro
Site reliability engineer
never

Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
Embedded software development
Not at the moment, no.

I work from home and I use Fedora with Xfce

ubuntu whatever is latest lts
>What's your role?
dev
> language you use
C++
lmao no.
muh gaymes
>The programs they develop will most likely be deployed in another OS (linux, android, etc). Is it just the "mainstream familiarity" with windows (i.e. more popular)?
legacy softwares and contracts with microshaft

OSX
Backend developer
Ruby/Go
Absolutely, give me any Linux distro so I can have a real package manager and not a joke like Homebrew and docker that's not an awful hack. Even ubuntu with systemdick and a fucking foot would be an upgrade at this point.

>RedHat
>Developer
>C/C++/Java
It's perfect.

C++11? 98?

HomoOSeX is the worst OS for development.
Not modular enough and you have to rely on BS hacks for everything. Would rather get a spike up my ass.

... windows
worse yet I am in IT, my boss has some weird hate for linux. But I work a lot with Pi's for network monitoring and stuff like that.

Just kys

Lots of kids at uni love Mac OS

Then why on earth are you replying? Just saying random shit for no reason?

Excuse me?

mostly 11+, but there's always legacy to maintain

WIndows 10
Linux sysadmin (no joke). Python
Not quite sure. Whether I stare at a putty window or a terminal in a Linux distro, won't make much of a difference

Windows 10
Workforce manager
VBA, SQL
Probably not, most of our stuff is WFM software

There was a SQL programmer, who wanted to be in a comedy club, but he had problems in joining any of the unions.

Day of the pillow soon

bruh

Yeah well the jerk store called, they're all outta you!

Attached: serveimage (4).jpg (480x360, 10K)

Do you think developers use dark themes because bugs are attracted to the light?

Is this the humor i get to look forward to when i join the industry?

>ctrl+f templeOS
>Phrase not found

Attached: 1551063873347.jpg (306x306, 20K)

NEETs not allowed here

If your co-workers tell you that you suck at OOP, you can't object.