Extreme Pair Programming - Guy Steele and Richard Stallman

"We sat down one morning," recalls Steele. "I was at the keyboard, and he was at my elbow," says Steele. "He was perfectly willing to let me type, but he was also telling me what to type.

The programming session lasted 10 hours. Throughout that entire time, Steele says, neither he nor Stallman took a break or made any small talk. By the end of the session, they had managed to hack the pretty print source code to just under 100 lines. "My fingers were on the keyboard the whole time," Steele recalls, "but it felt like both of our ideas were flowing onto the screen. He told me what to type, and I typed it."

The length of the session revealed itself when Steele finally left the AI Lab. Standing outside the building at 545 Tech Square, he was surprised to find himself surrounded by nighttime darkness. As a programmer, Steele was used to marathon coding sessions. Still, something about this session was different. Working with Stallman had forced Steele to block out all external stimuli and focus his entire mental energies on the task at hand. Looking back, Steele says he found the Stallman mind-meld both exhilarating and scary at the same time. "My first thought afterward was: it was a great experience, very intense, and that I never wanted to do it again in my life."
- Guy Steele on a hacking session with RMS in the 1970s.

Attached: file.png (600x400, 272K)

what did they program in those 10 hours?

does somebody still have the lewd version?

How does pair programming even work? Does one just type while the other is telling him what to type? Why doesn't the other guy just type it himself? It'll be much faster.

The way we do it at my job is by having 2 monitors, keyboards, and mice connected to the same computer with screens mirrored.
It really helps block out distractions and good stuff comes out of having 2 people work on it at once. Think of it like 2 people working on a plan vs one guy doing the thing himself... you get instant feedback and insight from the other person.

found it

Attached: stallman.png (1082x446, 149K)

sounds retarded.

OK? It's worked out quite well for us.
You don't do it 100% of the time but when tackling new things we've found it gives better results, faster.

kys boomer

really?

someone wrote this

Attached: laugh.gif (350x193, 1.6M)

I'm 22 :^)

Yep. I don't think we'd keep doing it if it wasted time.

>By the end of the session, they had managed to hack the pretty print source code to just under 100 lines

Today, quite likely. However, RMS and Steele were using 1970s hardware.

I think the original has some strong homosex vibes already

you realise that episode happened almost 50 years ago

Attached: 1566747639870.jpg (250x285, 46K)

Imagine being so lifeless, you enjoy working overtime or you get existential crises.

Attached: image.jpg (210x240, 48K)

yeah keyboards were much slower back then
you had to wind the keys up manually

this is the most low IQ thing I've ever read
you're probably going to be replaced by monkeys soon

>stallman has the ability to spread his autism like a virus

good observation user.

what's your point? that just makes you a 22 year old boomer