/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Don't dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1561928349062.jpg (600x363, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/LemonBoy/bar/blob/master/lemonbar.c
git.suckless.org/dmenu/file/dmenu.c.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=EGLStreams-Merged-KWin-5.16
man.openbsd.org/httpd.8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

linux sucks

lincucks btfo

>t. lunduke

windows sucks

pajeets btfo

genuine question. Is there any distros that have paid support? How big does a corporate client have to be?

>genuine question. Is there any distros that have paid support?
several
>How big does a corporate client have to be?
no idea

What can I use to clone a bootable NTFS partition from a standard to an advanced format hard drive? Will CloneZilla do it?

Where do i actually get information about lemonbar and dmenu? all i get is
>"lmao just pipe text into y XDDDD"

GNU all the way.

You're looking for RHEL.

Buy a subscription from either Red Hat or Suse,
even a single person will get official support - how it's structured is rolled into your license iirc, haven't bought red hat in years.

Well, it literally is just that. Run a command and pipe it to lemonbar. For more, you put everything into a shell script and pipe the script to lemonbar. Search Github for example scripts. There are many. Most large scripts have a listener and a writer script using a named pipe. You should definitively know your way at the shell in oder to have fun with lemonbar.

you're probably looking for ntfsclone, the ntfs-3g implementation works fine.

at github.com/LemonBoy/bar/blob/master/lemonbar.c
and
git.suckless.org/dmenu/file/dmenu.c.html

I've been trying to make Wayland on Plasma work with nvidia but it still doesn't work properly. I mean it works but as you can see the taskbar etc. are darkened and a bit buggy. Did I forget something?

Attached: Screenshot_20190908_154336.png (1920x1080, 219K)

I just installed debian. I can see that pre-packaged Firefox is v60.7.2esr. The current FF version is 69.0. Should I keep using older version? Should I remove it and install FF manually with the current version? Will I face any risks if I keep using older FF? Will I always have to manually update FF to newer versions if I install it manually now?

Thanks

*I'm using Arch btw

>Well, it literally is just that. Run a command and pipe it to lemonbar
That was the problem, idk what should i exactly run to achieve my things, i'm currently learning shell scripting so i figured this could be a nice exercise.
Thanks m8, i meant where i can learn making scripts to pipe them into dmenu and lemonbar

nvidia prop drivers only officially support X, ymmv.

>Will I face any risks if I keep using older FF?
It's not simply an older version, it's an extended support release version, and you shouldn't run in trouble if you keep using - that's the point of the longer term support release. Although 60.7.2 is not current, after update you should get 60.9.0
>Will I always have to manually update FF to newer versions if I install it manually now?
If you install manually it'll auto-update when the next version comes out unless you disable that through policy, you'll just have to restart the browser

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=EGLStreams-Merged-KWin-5.16

After updating mhwd seems to give me this conflict.

[tu@manjaro ~]$ mhwd -li -d
NAME: video-nvidia-430xx
ATTACHED: PCI
VERSION: 2019.08.25
INFO: Closed source NVIDIA drivers for linux.
PRIORITY: 6
FREEDRIVER: false
DEPENDS: -
CONFLICTS: video-intel video-nvidia-435xx video-nvidia-418xx video-nvidia-390xx video-nvidia-340xx video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-430xx-bumblebee video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-bumblebee video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee
CLASSIDS: 0300 0302
VENDORIDS: 10de

Everything seems to work fine, is this something i should worry about? Im retarded please be nice.

:^)

Attached: 1567951950966.png (720x1084, 339K)

is there any tech news site that isn't bought by microsoft?

>expecting a kernel without bootloader will work
>lol linsucks
kill yourself

BRIAN FAGIOLI

brianfagioli is pretty good but doesn't even come close to proper gabagool!

Lads, OpenSUSE (inb4 >install gentoo) is being a pain to install. Tried to install it twice yesterday, but got interuppted both times (busy day). Both times, I was just about to set up paritions. After those two times, I tried to install it about a dozen times, and it always just gets hung up here (pic related) indefinitely. Nothing on the computer has changed. Niether hardware or software. I've tried connecting and disconnecting from wifi. Nothing is working. This is the OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 KDE Live iso, running off of a USB 2.0 flashdrive. I'm totally at my wits end as to why this has just stopped working. I've even redownloaded the iso and verified the checksum before rewriting it to the flashdrive. Any help lads?

Attached: retarded installer.png (1920x1080, 749K)

Is lighttpd any good? All I seem to hear about and see is Apache and Nginx, but what about this nice little daemon?

Attached: lighttpd.png (2561x1301, 397K)

It doesn't matter if you have a configuration that works for you it works for you, rule hasn't changed across any piece of software

This might sound stupid but, are you sure you're connected to the Internet? I see the wifi icon has a '?', suggesting you're not online, and the installer is hanging at network setup...

I used to use it. It's just that nginx is lighter and more common at the same time.

>nginx is lighter
you sure about that?
then why do they call it a light httpd?

cock also works in your anal faggot

And if you like cock in your ass, you should use it, but if you don't like cock in your ass - don't.

I've tried doing the installer multiple times both connected and disconnected from the internet with the same result, unfortunately.

You might want to try the dedicated installer image rather than running it from the live session.

Hello. I am looking for a lightweight distro that's easy on my laptop but still not limiting.

Here are the specs of the laptop:

4GB RAM
i3 5005U
Intel HD graphics
1TB HDD

I am using Ubuntu on it, but it still sometimes suffers from some hiccups here and there. I would like a system that's beginner friendly but more lighter than Ubuntu. Thanks!

Ty Xubuntu.

It's getting stuck at the network auto-setup. Try ensuring the connection is working _before_ starting the installation.
You can test it by opening a terminal and just running "ping gnu.org" or something.

If you can't get it working try a wired connection instead of wifi, or try running "sudo rfkill unblock all" to enable all wifi switches (this will also make sure the hardware switch is on) and then try again.

Thanks anons, will give all of these solutions a try and report back.

you should use it then

>Open source champion Microsoft
Somehow this "we are the good guys" buzzword shilling party only worked for Microsoft. I've seen Google and even Facebook trying to catch that train, but only Microsoft made it.
I award Microsoft to be the kings of shilling for another decade.

Attached: 1557459430066.jpg (400x487, 56K)

How many workspaces do you fellas use

Web, Code, Media

Is there a better way then to do 2 for loops in one bash script?

First for loop takes a png and does shit to it and makes it a jpg. Then i take the jpg and do shit do it in a second for loop

I couldnt get the script to find the jpg it just made to do the second loop process on so i just did 2 loops

You know it's kinda funny now that I think about it. I never actually wanted us to compete with MS, or to "defeat" them or whatever.
All I ever wanted was to be able to play muh gaems on muh Gahnoo plus loonix. That's it.
It'd be like pottery if ultimately MS ever dies just for that 1 reason alone. They denied too many neckbeards their vidya and it lead to their downfall.
If they would've just given us fucking DX years ago, and used standard libraries that are multi-platform and encouraging devs to do the same, I'm sure most of us would be totally content to just let the normies keep using MS and letting them do their own thing.

In fact I'd say that's the ideal situation. I'd greatly prefer that over everyone in the world using GNU/Linux, because it would lead to a lot of tech illiterates dictating what happens on our open source OSes.

Attached: shaggy.jpg (480x600, 45K)

Your video games are harmful nonfree software

Good thing the GNU project supports my right to use it anyway, as long as it's my choice.

The GNU project does, the developer of that nonfree software doesn't

flash drive is upside down

Variables?
for i in. /*; do convert "$i" "$i".jpg; convert '$i".jpg "$i".png: done

that's a pen drive

I couldnt get the script to find the outputted jpg to then modify with another program making it in the same for loop.

FF68 ESR is currently blocked from releasing for Debian 10 due to build dependency issues and build failures on a couple of non x86 architectures. FF60ESR is still getting patches. Keep in mind that Debian 10 released with 52ESR so it'll probably get there eventually.

answer me, this makes no sense

no http/2 support

and that somehow makes it heavier?

http/2 uses less bandwidth

Usually two-three parallel code workspaces, 1-2 web ones, often one or two terminals with random crap on them, and sometimes another one with whatever or something

Just use httpd man.openbsd.org/httpd.8

Is there some kind of plugin or widget that I can install in KDE to upload to sftp from right clicking on an image in dolphin?

Attached: 1552508595662.jpg (480x709, 27K)

just use sshfs to mount sftp as a local path.

i did that but i just want to right click > share > opens in new tab maybe saves url to clipboard. KDE already does this with imgur not the clipboard part though.

Only today I found about OpenTTD and I wonder how did I miss such a thing until now, could it be there're more GNU sims like this? I can't stop playing anymore, this 2004 style is too comfy.

Attached: openttd.png (1920x1056, 294K)

ah I see now. HTTP2 makes only one connection it shoves everything down, while http1 makes new ones for every file.
I'm pretty sure that doesn't support HTTP/2 either

the thing is you don't really need http/2 for a home server or shit like that

>install password manager
>install browser extension
>run daemon
>open gui
>import passwords from browser
>restart browser
>go to log in
>literally nothing shows up to fill in password
Why.

>password manager
it's don't.

Linux is a kernel

Consider Trisquel

Attached: 6_2.png (1440x990, 52K)

>2004 style
more like 1997 style

Open source? No thanks. I prefer free software.

i have made a script for my t440p to disable 2 of the cores
>echo 1 > /sys/devoces/system/cpu/cpu2/cpuonline | echo 1 > /sys/devoces/system/cpu/cpu3/cpuonline
and a script to turn them both back on (just need to put the sudo password in when prompted)
so i have cores 0 and 1 remaining, neofetch shows 2 as it should but i have to ask, does this actually disable the cores or ignore them and have them running unused at minimum speeds
i think it disables them but i cant tell concretely and it may just be a placebo
can anyone confirm/tell me im a retard or tell me how to confirm, thank you

Why do you pipe into echo?

i shouldve said
its a tint2 script where left clicking turns them on and right clicking turns them off
as for the pipe, idk i tried a bunch of stuff until it worked, what should i have done?

Has anyone gone through the pain of preparing a professional portfolio document?
What software should I use? The normie way would be to use an office suit presentation program, but wouldn't LaTeX + some graphical suite made in GIMP be more capable?

Well, a pipe works, since a pipe does nothing but run things at the same time, but it.' not how you do it. Use a semicolon to begin a new command.

cmd1; cmd2

or

cmd1
cmd2

- if you don't have to do it in one line.

you do if you're like me and autistic about resource usage

install freedom

Attached: im gonna kick your ass.png (791x517, 519K)

Anyone got a soundblaster z working on linux? What's your secret?

find a good groff macro, mom looks like it might be useful for you but most just use ms because it ends up looking good no matter the application.

Cheers, mate. I'll take a look at groff. Never heard of it, and I don't know what ms and mom are, but I will look for answers, unless you'd like to elaborate a bit. Thanks again.

New to linux here. How would I go about mirroring selected folders from one hardrive to another for backup purposes? I don't want to use raid becasue I dont need all of the files.

How do i emulate android to run snapchat and save thots tittie pics?

Bluestacks in virtualbox dosent work
Running android 8.0 x86 in virtualbox dosent work

Please help

stop jerking off so much

ah thank you, i wasnt aware of that, i thought a pipe was a way to connect two commands

The rate at which i masturbate has nothing to do with running android in an emulator and saving thot tittie pics from snachat

rsync if it's basically all one way.
unison if you might make arbitrary changes to either copy and need to "sync" them.

Linux is a kernel.

Not sure if my x230 is getting old but the internet driver seems to just crash randomly, it's running some recent form of ubuntu mate, restarting with sudo systemctl restart network-manager or similar commands doesn't work, seems to be a relatively common problem going back years and many comments say it doesn't get fixed...
I just want to read tech blogs and grill for gods sake.

Just use google accounts and chrome lol

Linux has a diversity problem, your laid back opinions are no surprise on a white supremacist board

stupid question about bash:

How come piping locate into xargs rm doesn't work?

su
locate anyconnect | xargs rm -rf
does nothing to uninstall these files. I would copy-paste them but at this point it's the principle of the thing.

pic unrelated

Attached: 1456672148346.jpg (1248x1853, 542K)

Maybe
locate -0 anyconnect | xargs -0 rm -rf
?

tried it already. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Debian

Trisquel

Best loonix for c++ dev on a 250gb ssd?