How much TIME and LIFE OPPORTUNITIES have you lost to privacy?

I've been a freefag for a long time.
I have hit some real rock bottoms, cut myself off from friends and family, and stopped myself from potentially making friends, making money, getting jobs and forming relationships by my extreme obsession with privacy. I was always suspicious of big data, but freefaggery really fucked me up. This is like the Jow Forums of the tech world. I fell for the Jow Forums meme years ago, and as soon as I was out, i fell for the Jow Forumsnufag meme.
I am not saying I haven't been educated by this board about the dangers of tech, and learned to properly investigate software and services before I use them, but it's like having an awakening from an LSD trip. you learn things that change your life and make you more aware, but if you stick around for too long you lose your witts and become a bigger hermit than you would like to be.
maybe some of you are okay with being hermits and walking through mud every time you want to use a computer or the internet. But if you want to live your life to it's full potential, you need to learn where to draw the line. I wish we could go back, but this world is getting worse and worse when it comes to privacy - and we are those who will be crushed when it comes to the next technological revolution.
Use services and software that respect your freedom and privacy, prefer them above all else, especially if they provide the same functionality and are just as efficient.
But don't waste large amounts of time or forfeit yourself from great life or career opportunities because of freefaggery. I'm done with letting this kind of belief define me as a person.
also: my friends and family are all concerned for me, being too far down the privacy-protection rabbithole. they are justified in doing so: it takes a lot from me to say that honestly instead of saying they're wrong.

Attached: dinner.jpg (500x480, 26K)

made this thread because i want to know if anyone here feels this way too
>inb4 glowie

I had the same problem, user.
Yesterday I downloaded windows 10 and now it's so fucking easy getting the job done!
The privacy is needed only if you sell drugs or people, but in a normal everyday life it is a wall that just stops you to do what you want to do.
Thank you for your post, I'm happy that I'm not alone. I wish you the best in life user!

Welcome to the team proprietary fag

Attached: saynotofreedom.jpg (800x501, 87K)

This is pasta, right?

samefag

you're a fucking retard
im not saying use malwareOS, but trying to bend linux to your will to run certain windows software at half the speed and woth constant errors instead of just using win7 enterprise or POSready with a shit load of open source privacy extensions is way more convinient and will result in less hours and days spend frustrated and not using your fucking computer instead.
i still will never use google, i still will always use youtube through some kind of proxy site, but holy fuck I am not going to waste half my life unbreaking linux or not using a service i want to use until i find a complete, 100% FOSS way to do it
its insanity
fuck windows 10
His probably is, but I'm not joking. Freefaggery drove me insane, and I've had enough

>but it's like having an awakening from an LSD trip. you learn things that change your life and make you more aware, but if you stick around for too long you lose your witts and become a bigger hermit than you would like to be

Are you really a Jow Forumsent? I try to take this copy&pasta tier story seriously, but it feels like if you are genuine your problem may not be FLOSS but rather your character type. I can imagine you rubbing people in the wrong way.
No offense familiar, I don't know even you.

You have problems dude. Windows 10 ( the updated version ) never had a problem. Actually it's more stable than ubuntu.
The software works, I can use adobe software. I only use libre instead of office, because it's free and it has the same functionality.
I get work done, easily and faster.
It's not.
ps: I love ubuntu, but ubuntu 18.04 it's unstable as fuck, it crashes and I need to waste my time fixing it.
I hope 20.04 will be better, more stable and faster.

Windows 10 is a steaming pile of shit and doesn't do a single thing better than windows 7 aside from advertise to you while consuming 3-4x the resources. I can understand using it or tolerating it but all of this constant rationalization comes off like Stockholm syndrome since anyone who's used it knows what a clusterfuck it actually is

I know this is a shill thread and I'm being baited, but you're doing it wrong. Freedom and privacy isn't about never talking to anyone, it's about being in control of your own information. Windows 10 is malware.

tl;dr lmao
But whatever, I take social isolation (no friends, not cut off the society since I have a job) over social awkwardness and the constraint of having to maintain the relationships.

I guess for introverts the effort necessary to be social outweighs the benefits of being social. We're missing on so many stuff, but we don't have to get out and do stuff we don't want to.

You are a looser that feels good about himself because of the elitism you get from using a not mainstream system like GNU/Linux.
Nobody on Jow Forums has checked all the Linux kernel for spyware, nobody of you checked if the program or graphic environment has spyware. You believe that there's none.

I check every day, I've fixed security bugs in these things myself.

I mean yes, maybe the source doesn't have any spyware, but maybe there is in the system you are using.

Nah, task scheduler, prefetching and kernel are way faster and better. See you 2020, enjoy manually patching extended support fixes

>You are a looser
Might want to learn English first before going around calling people losers
or are you looser because you dilated?

I don't want to lose my time with you, I have to work on a system that works.
My English isn't perfect, but I will improve :)
One last thing: I said that I prefer windows to GNU/Linux for work, that doesn't mean that I hate Linux or I think that windows it's superior. I only said that I prefer windows for work because of it's software support and stability.

Also you are a looser because you are an immature and aggressive piece of shit.
Like a sjw.

>throw phone away, buy old dumbphone from japan or some shit
>install Linux
>install a browser that respects your privacy
that's literally it, what the fuck is the problem? I lost zero anything to this. In fact, I made abuddy at work that also wontt use smartphones. he's pretty cool except he cant shutup about the jews and religion being bad.

>constraint of having to maintain the relationships.
not op. i was trying to form a proper sentence like this, i feel the same thing being a burden.
>nobody of you checked if the program or graphic environment has spyware.
but we have a chance of knowing if someone puts in the time to check it. with proprietary, you have 0 (zero) ways of inspecting the code legally. not the same thing and not an acceptable criticism.

>he's pretty cool except he cant shutup about the jews and religion being bad.
sounds like the nu-Jow Forums in human form, if you remove the coolness.

What is the point then?
You have the freedom to check if the software has spyware, but you don't use it.

>he cant shutup about the jews and religion being bad.
IRL Jow Forums

The hard part about the freetard life isn't even using linux. Shit is fucking easy, you just have to set your expectations accordingly. The only people struggling with linux are the ones expecting a 100% windows clone.
I genuinely think at this point if you've used both windows and linux full time for 5 years you'll agree linux is easier to use.

Anyway the real freetard struggle is not using facebook, instagram, and all the google services, especially youtube. I'd say you're at a bigger disadvantage for dating women if you're not on facebook that if you are some disfigured retarded midget.

you can use youtube with mpv and it's better because it blocks all the ads

It may be more convenient but from a freetard perspective I can't see how it makes any difference.

>you're at a bigger disadvantage for dating women if you're not on facebook
or dating men

the point is no non-free software or tracking is actually required to access youtube
facebook is a different story

That makes sense but imo software being free starts losing its meaning once it's served from another machine on each request because even if it was under a free license I'm not going to inspect every single of the 300000 lines of minified JS I download and execute every time I access youtube.
That's just my point of view though I know some would disagree.

you don't execute the javascript, just put mpv and then the youtube url

>How much TIME and LIFE OPPORTUNITIES have you lost to privacy?
None at all.

I use Gentoo as my daily driver and loathe the data megacorps and it hasn't been an obstacle in my life in any capacity. If I want to use a botnet program, I just wine it. If I can't wine it, I just use my Windows 10 LTSC machine, which I haven't had to boot in months.

I've spent a lot of time building and configuring my Gentoo system, but for two reasons, that does NOT mean I've lost time that I could have used for anything else.

1) I installed Gentoo shortly after my mother died. I couldn't have done anything more productive with that time if I'd wanted to. It's been a year and a half now. I'm ready to start being productive again, and I've been pleased to find the Gentoo system I've installed can handle the job just fine.

2) Speaking of the Gentoo system I've installed, it requires no further involved maintenance. The only commands I need to maintain it are emerge --sync, emerge -aDNu @world, emerge -ac, etc-update, eselect news read, and eselect kernel set. So even if I had lost time -- which I didn't, since, again, that time was already lost the moment my mother died -- my days of lost time would already be over.

Now, don't get me wrong, I HAVE missed a lot of opportunities, and sometimes I've missed them WHILE I was tinkering with a privacy-oriented system. But I've NEVER lost ANY opportunities BECAUSE of a privacy-oriented system. Every opportunity I lose is because of a host of more serious problems than something silly like that. Namely:
>child rape ptsd
>food addiction
>social anxiety
Overall the core problem is that I hate myself too much to let myself have any kind of human connection. It's nothing to do with "privacy"; rather, I talk myself into believing that I'm not good enough for anyone and should spare everyone my bullshit. Besides, I meet people knowing I'll just abandon them later out of anxiety, so I figure it's better to spare us both the grief.

hello mc ride