GNU Network Object Model Environment

>read on Jow Forums that GNOME 3 is shit.
>cant be that horrible
>try it out with Ubuntu 18.04
>seems to take a little more ram than KDE but looks ok
>works flawlessly for 3 months (no observable problems)
>ok, maybe it's just well integrated with Ubuntu
>try it out with Solus
>still no problems
>try it out with Manjaro
>yet again; no problems

What's up with GNOME. Why are some people on Jow Forums shitting on it? I can't form any substantial critique of it apart from the ram usage.

Attached: GNOME_Shell.png (1200x750, 510K)

there's nothing wrong with gnome other than it runs like shit
i'm thinking of making a window manager that has the same "functionality" but using less resources, what i'm talking about is the activity view with all the workspaces and windows

Jow Forums tries to be hipster and hates on things that are awesome and functional.

GNOME_Shell? more like GNOME_Shill

That's probably what's meant by 'no substantial critque'.

>muh trannies
>muh ram usage
>muh hate simplified things because god emperor stoolman no like simple

Attached: 1544287992196.jpg (353x400, 126K)

it's just nocoders who will never submit a patch to open source in their lives begging people for free support

>What's up with GNOME
tablet OS

I found it really laggy, and the workflow is just not my type

also fuck gtk, nice shilling tho

Yep, probably. It looks like it was design optimized for touchscreens. But after getting used to the key combinations, i personally found it convenient to use on a laptop.

>also fuck gtk
y tho?

>no problems
That's very subjective, I consider slow animation speed, random cpu spikes and randomly disable custom keybinds a very serious problem, but hey whatever float your boat.

They eother expect it to behave like Windows or like their tiling autism managers and get mad that it isn't like something they've used in the past.
I think it's way more polished than Rainmet- I mean KDE.

>because I read it's made by trannies and pottering lele xD

Attached: Screenshot_20190818-112205_Discord.png (732x540, 157K)

Qt exists

>C++ bloat

And? QT is an ugly mess both visually and technically

Its poor performance and resistance to being modified are the biggest offenders, the latter being more of a trend set by the devs. It's fine otherwise.

>why won't they merge my dumbfuck idea?
>there's still plenty of space in the KDE settings panel for it
Idiot

>Its poor performance
Works fine if you aren't using some shitty 2012 ebay laptop.
It utilizes the GPU for pixbuf and fast font rendering which I guess you don't have

Just look at the thinkpad circle jerk, Jow Forums is full of poors.

I remember Gnome 3.22 being pretty laggy but Gnome 3.30 on Debian was alright, I guess? Regardless of the distro I just use Xfce, I might test GNOME/KDE/LXQT once in a while but that's it

If Gnome didn't exist I wouldn't use Linux at all.

Couldn't care less about the performance, but it looks like shit without being fully customizable and everything always feels so oversized, over animated and bulky.
Also not sure why anybody downloads a stable package and get surprised when its stable. You only get problems if you download from random shitty repos online and fuck around copying and pasting configurations and commands from the internet you don't fully understand because you're too lazy to RTFM.

Yes you would. Linux is merely a kernel and it's used by a lot of operating systems...

People who hate on GNOME here hate on it for stupid reasons, such as >a fucking foot.

I on the other hand hate on GNOME for a handful of legitimate reasons.

1) It's a desktop environment. Desktop environments go against Unix philosophy. The packages (multiple) that give you access to your low-level system config, and the packages (multiple) that let you use a coherent GUI, should NOT all be put together in the same package, maintained by the same people. That's a symptom of severe feature creep. If you want a GUI, use a window manager. If you want a desktop metaphor, use a window manager and run a file manager in its root window. If you want GUI sysadmin utilities, use a window manager and multiple separate packages each containing a GUI sysadmin utility. A Linux or Unix system should be the kernel and a variety of complementary and mutually orthogonal userland packages that are only interconnected very sparsely, not the kernel as a bottom layer and several densely packed spaghetti cakes layered hierarchically on top of it. The "desktop environment" should be the whole install, pieced together to the user's liking from a variety of parts from heterogeneous sources, not a single-organization-developed monopolistic prepackaged system-in-a-box. Putting that much responsibility on a single organization is just asking for trouble.

2) It depends on systemd. My disdain for systemd is rooted on all the exact same arguments as my disdain for GNOME proper (1).

Tablet ui in home pc

>focused around keyboard shorcuts and hot corners
>tablet UI

except it sucks even worse on touchscreen...

UX is shit, looks fugly

Nah, i like it. Looks super modern. But that's probably personal taste.

>muh unix philosophy
gnu's not unix

>I on the other hand hate on GNOME for a handful of legitimate reasons.
Wow you're so cool.

Doesn't matter, I agree with the Unix philosophy as a general rule, irrespective of whether the system in question is in fact Unix, and I maintain that A) the philosophy still applies in this era despite its age, and B) the failure of modern software to abide by such a philosophy is a chief reason why it's such insufferable garbage.

The problem is the following:
It's literally the normies DE. And people don't like normies around here. It's the same reason why Apple users are called fags. They're not actually assuming the users to be gay. It's just derogatory for 'normies'.

>GNOME 3.34 will be released on Wednesday, September 11, 2019.

Attached: 1543748669271.jpg (125x93, 2K)

Probably off topic, but anyone who truly seeks an implementation is better of with BSDs these days.

>inb4 BSD shill

>works flawlessly for 3 months (no observable problems)
no stutter when you play a video?

self reply:
an implementation of the UNIX philosophy

only the app grid is tablet

I did use mpv (from console) and vlc. I use a Thinkpad L540 from Lenovo, and for me it worked as well. The most computationally intensive thing i did on this computer was training a 3-layered nerual network with 10000 samples, while using GNOME. It took 11 minutes and 42 seconds on the fastest iteration. (To be more precise i used Numpy and PyTorch with python on Arch Linux. )

GNOME's biggest problem is that it ships with retarded defaults that are made intentionally unintuitive to change so that some pseudo-visionary on the dev team can feel like Steve Jobs of Linux.

GNOME Classic is actually great. Has its own distinct feel without axing basic functionality and features to satiate some faggots "vision".

the application menu extension has been broken forever

The problem with GNOME is that the devs remove features every other release, don't add features the community wants and mistreats other projects. Also, the defaults are dogshit.

Not to mention, GNOME in Wayland cannot run X programs as root because GNOME devs don't want to. So noobs can't configure their firewall.

Never listen to Jow Forums. Gnome is fine (see what I did there?).
Many people start changing DEs and WMs when they start exploring Linux, along with the obligatory distro hopping.
It then turns out that people prefer this or that default setting and hence abandon Gnome. Some prefer a more keyboard-driven workflow and go with Tiling WMs.
That's all there is to it.

I hate nautilus but that's a story for another day.

Gnome is good. Never had issues with it. I just use default Ubuntu 18.04 out of the box on everything lol.

I had a similar experience. Jow Forums kept talking about how awful GNOME and Fedora were, so I gave them a try to form my own opinion. Stuck with it to this day and have grown convinced that the vast majority of naysayers are either baby ducks, haven't used it for more than a couple of minutes and/or are just parroting popular nonsense to fit in.

Checked and this.

>18.04
Just wait till you try the upcoming gnome 3.34 release ( should be out next week), its the best gnome release yet.

>>C++ bloat
you're bloat
The sole reason i use QT is because it looks better cumbrain

> recursive search by default
> apps require the use of background services to even work
> superficial utilities that lack proper functionality
> updates break third party plugins gedit, files...
> updates break skin
> customization very limiting
> hard coded services resulting in a more efficient way to just chmod -x some bins
> huge bars
> no proper method to change key bindings

dropped gnome years ago, several months back i switched my file browser to, imagine not being able to use a GUI to browse folders as sudo, just imagine!
Not using any tool from them and last month i got a reminder from them, they dropped bitmap support on their font rendering lib, they sem hard bent to just be annoying.

>imagine not being able to use a GUI to browse folders as sudo
They're doing you a favor you fucking brainlet, fucking kill yourself

> the solution is to deny user a functionality rather than implement a solution.
kill your self idiot go back to your apple phylosophy shit.

But grug, gnome is a gnu project. I dont think stallman dislikes it

Why do you dislike gtk? if you use the c api without javascript (unlike gnome), then it's faster than qt and uses much less memory.

it's by far the best looking DE. KDE still looks like amateur trash. Beside a minimal wm style setup it's the definitive way to use GNU/Linux

gtk and qt looks the same if you use the same themes.. You can even use css with gtk and qt to make it look however you want

If I could make the titlebars not take up half the screen, I would use gnome

I haven't used it since fedora 15, but back then it wasn't too hard to edit the gtk theme and change their size/remove them completely

still easy as fuck but I don't bother because it's easier to grab with one hand

They fixed that bug a long time ago, boomer

>kill yourself idiot
yourself*, idiot.

It’s a DE made with JavaScript by tranny web developers and minorities, use a good fork of Gnome like MATE, made by Spaniards I believe.

>It’s a DE made with JavaScript by tranny web developers and minorities
Proof?

it's garbage aimed at zoomers

xfdashboard

Have you used Gnome 3? It feels like a bloated web application. Literally every other DE doesn’t do this, Gnome 3 is the only one. I’m also sure there probably is Js put in there by some nignog that just bottlenecks everything, but they can’t change it because that would be rayciss and invalidate Tyreesha’s hard work as a black Xe/Xim.

>GNOME in Wayland cannot run X programs as root
To be added in 3.34
>noobs can't configure their firewall
They still have cockpit-ws, right?

>imagine not being able to use a GUI to browse folders as sudo
gvfs admin:// scheme you fucking brainlet

It's just a meme. I've been using it for 3 years with Arch without any problems.

Clear Linux + Gnome =

Is this going to be an improvement or what? Have they fixed the memory leaks?

I'm a GTK fan but because I actually prefer gtkmm to Qt. Gtkmm is far superior to plain old gtk.

OKAY SAYING THIS ONCE

To access files as root in nautilus do the following:

Ctrl L - Brings up address bar
Type the following : Admin:///
You now have root access to the filesystem in nautilus without having to run nautilus from the terminal with sudo.

what does that shit do? it prompts for password? it probably wont work for me without redhat magic

It's a GNOME Virtual Filesystem backend that runs as root, the thing that's asking you for your password is a PolKit agent. PolKit is used to acquire the privileges required to run the backend process as root. Since I'm already fairly verbose, I can add that most of the IPC here is done over dbus. All of this is standardized, of course.

Terrible performance: written in js, the garbage collector causes stuttering while using workload heavy programs.
Petty turds as developers: redhat employees pushed unpopular and objectively bad choices knowing that by being the deskopt enviroment used by a large vendor it would be adopted anyway. In a fair competition KDE and Xfce would have wrecked it in adoption.

This, although hopefully the upcoming performance patches finally fix it. Beyond that, people mostly just dislike it because it's different from what they're used to, but all things considered, once you learn it it has a pretty damn good workflow, and one that is not entirely dissimilar from window managers (but without the autism). In fact, if GNOME had optional tiling, it would be perfect. I've tried every DE multiple times, and in my experience, GNOME has been the most stable and "justwerks", and I like its visual cohesiveness. I do think Adwaita's default folder icons and GNOME's default font are pretty ugly, though.

I'm also not a big fan of GNOME devs' attitudes. I personally don't think removing desktop icons was a big deal (but I can see why people weren't happy about it), but removing system tray icons was fucking retarded. Also, GTK is still an aggravating mess. Selection menus STILL haven't been fixed, nor has the god awful filechooser (I mean, there's at least patches for it, but the GTK devs pretty much just up and finally said "fuck it we're never fixing this").

like i said im not running harry pottering magic.

it's just a pretty standard desktop with a few weird design decisions here and there and it's a bit heavy on resources
also, GNOME applications have some retarded anti-usability conventions, like removing title-bars and adding hamburger menus for things, lots of "we made this different just to be different," rather than changing things because it's actually better

going from GNOME 2 -> GNOME 3 was the biggest fucking step back in terms of functionality though
if you didn't like something in GNOME 2, you could reasonably change it, although the defaults were largely sensible for someone migrating from say, Windows or whatever
while GNOME 3 drastically cuts back on any ability to customize anything at all
like, one big example, I don't even care about desktop icons that much, but GNOME decided to say "fuck 'em" on a standard Linux desktop meant for the masses
and that's just flat-out retarded, you want an easy-to-use and familiar desktop for these people

GNOME also pushes its design decisions onto other application developers and other desktop environments, and although I'm all for unity in the Linux desktop ecosystem, the GNOME devs make absolute fucking shit decisions and try to act as if they aren't shit.

Neither is Linux. These Unix hippies need to keep their filthy hands off of our OS. Go stink up the BSD's, you dirty hobos.

Nothing wrong with the software per se, but the GNOME dev team kind of bullies a lot of smaller projects. GNOME thinks userspace should revolve around them.

I don't think anyone said it was buggy. People hate it because the design choices the retard devs make it unusable. Oversimplified childproof shit. Also hard dependency on systemd.