Friendly reminder that there will never be a Linux version of Affinity Photo

Attached: 542411-affinity-photo.png (1025x577, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

affinity.serif.com/en-gb/licence/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's nonfree software that disrespects the user's freedom. It should not be used by anyone.

go back to bed, RMS

explain whats the freedom not respected or commit suicide immediately, you fucking weirdo.

I'd go as far as to say that there will never be good photo or vector editor on Linux.

/thread

affinity.serif.com/en-gb/licence/

>you are not permitted to run, or allow to be run, the Serif Software over a network or any other means by which it can be used simultaneously on more than one computer

>you have no right to rent, lend, lease, sell, supply, transfer or distribute, transfer, redistribute or sublicense the Serif Software

>You have no right (and shall not permit any third party) to copy, adapt, amend, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, create derivative works of, decrypt, modify, distribute or make error corrections to any aspect of the Serif Software in whole or in part

>Serif (or its licensors) may suspend, remove, modify or disable (or impose limits on) access to the currently available Serif Software at any time without notice and without liability to you

The most hilarious thing is that besides Krita becoming a total champ even fucking Blender has increasingly good 2D painting and drawing abilities while GIMP continues to do literally nothing but fucking STAGNATING.
At this point it's so strange that It's almost like it's just there as software world equivalent of a door stopper so people can say "yeah the Lunix world does have a PS alternative, it's Gimp! Oh but sadly it's shit.. ah well, that's Linux for you I guess *shrug*"

Free software lacks basic features of proprietary software, using a restrictive license as a shield, and should not be used.

Okay, but feel free to come up with a good alternative.
Oh what's that, you can't because the most powerful piece of photo editing software that FOSS has to offer is functionally crap? That's a shame, I guess FOSS isn't much of an option if I want to get shit done.

Alright, so.
Official statement from Serif is that they have no plans for a Linux release because of its laughable desktop market share but they also stated that people are free to try to get it running under Wine.
So why not putting efforts into that? If they say it would cost them literal millions to develop for Linux, why not simply do a collaboration effort to get Wine to work with it? It already is very advanced and did HUGE leaps in the last couple years so it should work out with some people being focused on that. Maybe Serif will even help a tiny bit if there's some actually focused effort.

Attached: 1565886080377.gif (300x300, 892K)

Features and functionality in proprietary software don't matter because you can't use them unless you sacrifice something else valuable, i.e. your freedom.

I can sacrifice not being able to ruin the codebase and send backdoored copies to my friends, to be able to use a perfectly tuned out of the box product. That's a fair deal. I can't make money by being free, it's an intangible tinlgy feeling.

Your freedom is worthless, that's your problem. I'd prefer it if you didn't try to pretend like that was normal.

On the contrary, my freedom is valuable. That is, my freedom to get things done without being bound by software that doesn't work.

It's not a problem because freedom is intangible. At most, I compile some shitty code into a binary and go on my day. Whooptie doo. I literally don't give a shit about my operating system and my kernel. Fuck them. I don't get paid to care how or why it works.
Given the choice between two equally functional and fashionable pieces of software but one being free, I'd pick the free one every time. It is a fact that this choice almost never happens, free software is always missing something.

Sure but nonfree software companies are directly against you having the freedom getting things done and don't care if the software works or not. See the license terms quoted above, they reserve the ability to delete the software of your computer at any time for any reason, no matter how much money it loses you.

I don't even know what this is. Why should I care, what's the purpose of this thread?

>how much money it loses you
This never happens. Literally. If it did, it would be a PR nightmare. Unlike free software, proprietary fights tooth and nail for marketshare. Of course it could hypothetically happen but then why did I use software whose EULA I don't agree to?

Well I guess I better not break their EULA then, huh?
>don't care if the software works or not
Oh they care. They care a lot about whether their software works. If it didn't work, people wouldn't buy it and they wouldn't make any money. They want to make money, so they have to ensure that their software works for the user and not the other way around.

What do FOSS shits have to lose from their software not working? Absolutely fuck all.

You don't understand. If you have a problem with free software, you can sit down and pay someone to fix it for you, instead of unnaturally paying to be allowed to an extent to use some software in the first place.

>I don't even know what this is.
Easy, then this thread is not for you.

Like I said, your freedom is worthless, you will let yourself be swayed to give it up by some meme feature. Holy shit this photo editing app has a filter that puts dog ears on everyone, better immediately upload all my data into the botnet!
If it doesn't happen then it shouldn't be in the license. They don't fight tooth and nail for marketshare because if they did it would be a lot easier for someone to make the same software that you use but without the bullshit license and we wouldn't be here discussing this.
The license says they can delete it for any reason, not just violating the EULA.

>meme feature
Photoshop has features GIMP will never support.
>botnet
Proof?
>shouldn't be
Who are you to say what should or shouldn't be?
>the same software
The entire open source community on Earth cannot make Gimp with 1:1 photoshop GUI. Think about that for a second.

You've wandered into the wrong thread, neither Photoshop or GIMP are being discussed here.
>Proof?
Being able to delete shit off someone else's computer remotely is peak botnet you goddamn zoomer.

Okay. So this free software doesn't work for me.
Now I can
A) Purchase a license for a proprietary piece of software that does work for me
or
B) Pay a software developer to muddle around in the free software until they can make it on par with the proprietary piece of software

In this case, option A is both cheaper and quicker to get up and running. In other words, option A gives me the freedom to get my work done (and thus make more money, as I make money by using the software rather than creating it) right away while option B does not.
You can keep living in your restrictive license utopia all you want, but in the real world your false "freedoms" don't matter.

>The license says they can delete it for any reason, not just violating the EULA.
Yes, and saying that's something that actually happens is like saying vaccines cause autism. That shit doesn't "just happen", that clause is nothing more than legalese crap their lawyer made them put in.

>wrong thread
Freetards don't belong in any thread.
>peak botnet
Hmm. No that's not the definition of botnet.

>Haha it doesn't matter because that never happens, just sign the paper and don't think about it :^)
Where have I heard this before?

I'm not sure, the time your mother told you that vaccines cause autism maybe?

Proprietards don't belong on this planet, kindly direct yourself right into the sun.

Nope, back to your cell. I praise the sun \[T]/

>That shit doesn't "just happen", that clause is nothing more than legalese crap their lawyer made them put in.
Proof?

I know user. if you praise it so much then go live on it

Yesss I shall be grossly incandescent.

>nonfree shill trapped in his botnet
>telling anyone else to go back to a cell
kek

The burden of proof lies with the accuser, so go right ahead and prove that it does happen.

You obviously compensate your sedentary lonely lifestyle with fantasies of freedom. Tell me, when you compile other people's code, do you imagine that it were yours in a different world?

Now explain why the fuck anyone would allow outcasts like you to ruin their honest business.
You have 10 minutes or end your miserable life immediately.

the modifications that i make to it are mine, when i submit them back it becomes a combined work

>combined work
Yeah I'm sure those 50 lines of code were of real help.

>Honest business
>They can take the product away from you at any time and you get no refund
>All your files are stuck in a proprietary format that can't be used with other programs

Do you yearn to eat the fungus off Stallman's feet?

they were actually, sometimes i've even deleted 50 lines of code and that was a great help, do you know anything about how software engineering is done?

They can remove malicious files if your photoshop gets infected with a botnet, they're doing this to help you.

Yes, I actually write code for large amounts of money.

How much do they pay you to make these posts?

Flat $35/hr, even while 'it's compiling'. And I get to do anything while 'it's compiling', including blasting freetards on the web.

so do i friend

For graphic design, sure. I'd make the case that GNU/Linux is lacking, but for strictly photography, what exactly are you missing in the FOSS options?

That's an incredibly low wage and your pajeet is showing. You aren't blasting anyone but yourself when you make excuses for why you don't have freedom.

I work from Ukraine and live like an oligarch. Stay mad chubby.

Lick that boot harder igor

Hahahah keep sending your newest fighter jet software to middle east

They have to pay billions for that. Free software means freedom, not price.

>not price
Yes good luck selling a bunch of text to a nonexistant market.

The code doesn't do anything unless you have the plane dipshit.

And? Not having md/dm, now THAT would be a loss. Even not having Java would be.

But the what, tenth best raster image editor with macfag aesthetics? Who even cares... some artist perhaps?

It's free R&D, please, keep sending it to the middle east, into chinese hands, then russian hands, and eventually ukrainian hands :)

Don't worry, you'll get it 15 years from now when it's obsolete. You can't seem to grasp that no one cares if you get "free R&D"

GIMP still does not have adjustment layers. Photoshop has had that since 96. That's >20 years ago. Maybe one day we'll get an intelligent healing brush, or maybe even content-aware fill/scaling. You can use gimp for photography workflows, but you're locking yourself out of decades of progress in the industry.

The RAW workflow tools are far better, though both rawtherapee and darktable both have painful ux flaws. Still, they are fairly modern in function. I've never tried anything serious in either, so I couldn't tell you how they hold up on pro photography kind of work, but my experience with weekend shooting hasn't been too bad really.