I spilled some mercury and was about to clean it up with my vacuum cleaner when I noticed how it resembles melted...

I spilled some mercury and was about to clean it up with my vacuum cleaner when I noticed how it resembles melted solder. It then occurred to my me to use this as thermal butter for my cpu.
Your thoughts!

Attached: index.jpg (1280x720, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/1998/01/24/us/teen-agers-vandalism-leads-to-mercury-crisis.html
atf.gov/file/100871/download
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

user please no. nytimes.com/1998/01/24/us/teen-agers-vandalism-leads-to-mercury-crisis.html

What the fuck is this cuck shit?

Attached: 33.png (1106x867, 62K)

Lol. Someone isn't using uMatrix, uBlock Origin, and uBlock Origin Extra.

Except I am.

>Christy Wise looked out her living room window at a mercury decontamination tent and the temporary command post for the Federal Environmental Protection Agency this week and wondered aloud how much of the toxic substance was still in the hands of the town's young people.

>Since Dec. 30, when local officials learned that two 17-year-old boys had entered a dilapidated, shuttered neon-sign factory and taken at least 20 pounds of metallic mercury, 175 residents have been tested for exposure, 9 families were forced to leave contaminated homes (2 have since returned) and 7 people have tested at dangerously high levels and been referred for treatment. One of the boys who took the mercury was hospitalized for four days.

>Another youth was treated after smoking mercury-laced cigarettes, and officials are looking into reports of children selling mercury.

>Metallic mercury, the kind the teen-agers found and played with here, enters the blood when vapors given off by the heavy liquid are inhaled. At low levels, mercury exposure can cause irritability and vision and hearing problems. Greater exposure can lead to brain, lung, kidney and liver damage and, in extreme cases, to death.

>About 60 pounds of mercury have been found by the authorities or turned in so far, said Dave Hall, the emergency management coordinator for Texarkana, although he said more than 20 pounds of that did not come from the factory.

>A convenience store with a Subway sandwich shop and part of a junior high school were closed for cleanup after someone dropped mercury -- perhaps maliciously, city officials say -- at the two sites.

>Mrs. Wise and her husband, Jim, who say that children used to play next to the long-closed factory, fear the implications for their 5-year-old son and other children in this town straddling the Texas and Arkansas border.

>1998

Attached: smelly-nigger.jpg (313x313, 33K)

>Officials say they hope they have recovered most of the mercury.

>''People are still concerned,'' Mrs. Wise said, ''because they don't know how much is still out there. They say kids are selling it. If they put it in little vials, no telling how far it's gone.''

>Tima Lynn, 22, who lives several blocks away with her husband and three children, said she was also worried. Noting that her home is only a block from the high school, where one of the teen-agers who took the material is a student, Mrs. Lynn said: ''There's kids that walk up and down this street. It could be dropped in my yard. My kids could walk back in the backyard and see something and pick it up.

>''That's what's scary. If they can drop it at a Subway, they can drop it on my street.''

>Residents seem divided on whether to blame the owner of the factory, which closed in the 1960's, or the teen-agers who took the mercury.

>Cheryl Calhoun, mother of one of the boys, complained that the two had been referred to as ''Beavis and Butthead'' on a local radio station. Letters to the town paper have called her an irresponsible parent.

>''I don't say that he didn't do wrong,'' Mrs. Calhoun said of her son. ''He knows he shouldn't have been there.'' But, she said of the owner: ''It was his building. I think he was way more responsible.''

>Mercury, a shiny metal that breaks into beads and then runs back together, captivates children, officials said.

>''They thought it was cool,'' Mrs. Calhoun said of her son and his friends. ''They wanted to see what it was. They wanted to take it where they could experiment with it.''

>It reminded them of something from the Terminator movies, she said.

>The owner of the factory, Richard Reynolds, has filed a police report accusing the boys of burglary. Mr. Reynolds's lawyer, Gene Harrelson, said the two were the responsible parties. While the boys said the mercury had not been under lock, Mr. Harrelson quoted Mr. Reynolds as saying it had been in a safe the boys pried open. The police have filed no charges in the case.

>The Federal environmental agency estimated that it would cost $1 million to test people, decontaminate sites and rid the factory of dangerous chemicals. Rita Engblom, who is coordinating the agency's operation here, walked around the two-story white concrete-and-wood building this week, pointing out containers of acids, pesticides and cancer-linked PCB's that workers found after arriving this month.

>Deserted factories have led to contamination problems elsewhere, she said, apparently without breaking environmental laws. The Federal operation here is being financed by the Superfund cleanup law. Ms. Eng blom said the owner might have to pay at least part of the costs.

>Last fall, teen-agers in Springfield, Ohio, took 100 pounds of mercury from an abandoned factory, said Steve Wermuth, Commissioner of the Clark County Health Department. Sixteen homes were evacuated, 171 people were tested for exposure and 2 of the teen-agers were referred for medical treatment.

>In 1994, in Belle Glade, Fla., about 40 homes were evacuated temporarily after teen-agers found 55 pounds of mercury in an abandoned van and spread it around the community. More than 100 people went to local hospitals with symptoms of mercury exposure and two were admitted.

>Last July, the E.P.A. and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry issued a warning about the danger of metallic mercury. About 20 percent of the calls for help coming into the emergency response section of the agency for toxic substances involve some form of mercury, according to the agency.

>This week, officials from the E.P.A., the Arkansas Department of Health and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry went to local schools to spread the word on the dangers of playing with mercury.

Imagine living this safely back in 1998, when something like this made the national news. Now, there's >400 mass shootings every year.

thank god anthrax came along

Shootings have actually dropped since the 90s. It's a big focus right now because some very powerful people want to strip away any single constitutional right they can in the Bill of Rights, to set a precedent to erode/eliminate other rights.

>erode other rights
Implying election rights, religious freedom rights as well as privacy rights haven't been massively eroded the last two decades.

Aside from the Patriot ACT, it's mostly been from one side of the aisle, too. Again, they don't care whether it's the 1st Amendment, the 2nd Amendment, the 4th, or the 6th. Once one is gone, it'll snowball quickly.

sounds like the UK, suddenly every stabbing attempt makes the hourly news

I just find it incredibly hypocritical that current conservatives have no trouble narrowing down the 1st amendment (particularly wrt religious freedom) as well as election rights, but the 2nd must be protected at any cost. I mean, I need an ID and to register in a national register in order to vote. If you started registering gun ownership you register voters, people would go crazy.

It's a big focus because they are becoming rarer, thus they are more sensational. There's nothing sinister about this at all actually, it's just a product of living in a safer society.

>I just find it incredibly hypocritical that current conservatives have no trouble narrowing down the 1st amendment (particularly wrt religious freedom)
I'm not denying your claim, but I've not seen too much limiting from that side (albeit I'm not paying super close attention, as I'm not religious). I've noticed the left going after cake makers for refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding, though. Ditto for caterers that don't want to cater a gay wedding.

>as well as election rights
Could you go into greater detail? Aside from asking for a government ID to vote, this is the first I've heard of this.

>If you started registering gun ownership you register voters
I own 3 guns. All of them are registered, and all of them required a background check. I live in Texas. The only exception to these rules (even according to the ATF's own website) is if you are looking to liquidate a private collection, either in part or in whole, because they don't think you should need to spend thousands of dollars in order to get yourself an FFL that you will use only once or twice. I'm not certain what solution you have to that, although if you have one, I'm eager to hear it.

>but I've not seen too much limiting from that side (albeit I'm not paying super close attention, as I'm not religious)
- Tax-exempt religious organizations are now allowed to donate unregistered to election campaigns.
- Several states have ten commandments on their official buildings. Swearing into office requires the use of a holy text, atheists are frequently discriminated against. Likewise with pledges. (not big issues but still)
- Employers can soon refuse to hire gay people if the supreme court doesn't do an unexpected 180 on the two cases up for decision now. But employers aren't allowed to refuse to hire black people, so there's an inconsistency.
- Anti-christian and anti-islam speech has been deemed hate-speech in some lower courts, we'll see what supreme court decides or if it goes that far.
- Some baby sitter literally kidnapped the child she was baby sitting and had it circumcised because of her religious convictions, got away with a small fine.

>I've noticed the left going after cake makers for refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding, though. Ditto for caterers that don't want to cater a gay wedding.
I'm not concerned with cake bakers, but if they are allowed to refuse service to gay customers, they should also be allowed to refuse service to black people. (I'm actually for this)

>I own 3 guns. All of them are registered, and all of them required a background check.
State registered, not national. Also, you could have bought them at a gun convention, that would require no registration at all.

>I'm not certain what solution you have to that, although if you have one, I'm eager to hear it.
Actually, I'm not really that concerned with gun ownership. If people want to own guns and shoot at stuff for fun, they should be allowed to. Likewise, carry rights are fine too. It's the hypocrisy I'm reacting to, not the concept of owning guns or carry rights.

Forgot the election rights thing:
It's not only asking for a government ID to vote, the process of registering may take several months as well as you name needs to be spelled EXACTLY as on the ID, which proves difficult when names are manually registered. I just find it ridiculous that, in some cases at least, it's easier to buy a gun than it is to vote.

Thanks for sharing those examples. While I do believe some of them are small potatoes, there are huge concerns I hadn't heard about, like the circumcision and tax exempt organizations able to donate (religious or no, I'm against this).

>I'm not concerned with cake bakers, but if they are allowed to refuse service to gay customers, they should also be allowed to refuse service to black people. (I'm actually for this)
I believe owners should be allowed to refuse service to anyone for any reason. If it's a bad enough reason, the public backlash can put them out of business.

>Also, you could have bought them at a gun convention, that would require no registration at all.
Incorrect. Pic related can be found on page 7 of this document: atf.gov/file/100871/download

> I just find it ridiculous that, in some cases at least, it's easier to buy a gun than it is to vote.
I find it ridiculous that it can be difficult to do either. Both are natural rights, and neither should be infringed upon. However, I also understand the importance of people being who they say they are. If I remember correctly, Kansas became a slave state because slave owners from other states flooded in to cast votes in the election. I'm not saying it will definitely happen again, but I AM saying that it shouldn't be possible for groups from other states to flood in and dictate how another state should be run.

Attached: atf.png (814x588, 131K)

Btw, thanks for the reasonable discussion. I find it rare that people who may sit on opposite sides can actually openly talk about what both sides are doing wrong. "Common ground" seems to be shrinking these days, and it's a breath of fresh air to talk about things calmly and rationally.

>lol it's 2019, mercury is safe these days

I'm in private mode, but I also use noscript. Thus the entire website seems to be wide open to me without the message you received. There isn't even a "you need javascript to view this site" message like I normally get from shit sites.

>Since Dec. 30, when local officials learned that two 17-year-old boys had entered a dilapidated, shuttered neon-sign factory and taken at least 20 pounds of metallic mercury, 175 residents have been tested for exposure, 9 families were forced to leave contaminated homes (2 have since returned) and 7 people have tested at dangerously high levels and been referred for treatment. One of the boys who took the mercury was hospitalized for four days.

>Another youth was treated after smoking mercury-laced cigarettes, and officials are looking into reports of children selling mercury.

>Metallic mercury, the kind the teen-agers found and played with here, enters the blood when vapors given off by the heavy liquid are inhaled. At low levels, mercury exposure can cause irritability and vision and hearing problems. Greater exposure can lead to brain, lung, kidney and liver damage and, in extreme cases, to death.