Why is the industry removing the headphone jack when there is no better alternative to this technology...

Why is the industry removing the headphone jack when there is no better alternative to this technology? In order to remove something that is old and outdated, there has to be a better technology that makes it obsolete.

Bluetooth is fucking SHIT technology for audio. Convenience my fucking ass, I don't want to charge and use wireless headphones and having to pair wireless headphones each time i want to use it for a different device. Wired Analog headphones is just a flat out superior tech in terms of audio quality, latency, and even convenience.

There is no viable alternative to replace wired headphones so why won't the industry juts fuck off with this Apple trend bullshit and give the people what they want and that's a fucking cheap ass headphone jack that has served everyone well for the past century.

Attached: oneplus_6.jpg (1600x800, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

deviceatlas.com/blog/most-popular-smartphones#f
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If they remove features, they bolster sales of expensive alternatives to the features they removed.
They even save money in the process.
There's literally no downsides on their end, they know you'll buy it anyway.

Wireless headphones are better. A good pair can last you 20+ hours on a single charge. Moreover, almost every time your headphones break it’s due to the stupid wire, not the headphones themselves. Grow up.

Normal fags love being fucked by their corporate masters

Find me a pair of wireless headphones where you can instantly switch to any device you want without having to "pair to device" and have perfect 1:1 audio from the source with 0ms of latency.

Now fuck off. Bluetooth headphones are fucking shit.

They have pluses and minuses. You're free to use them even if you have a headphone jack. As Samsung and Apple have shown, removing the jack does not make the phone thinner, lighter or more waterproof. The jack also enables some accessories like IR blasters and payment card readers, as well as those silly decorations that can be attached there. Why then is it beneficial to remove it again?

You can get replacement cables for a lot of headphones as long as they have removable cables

That’s a weird use case. I can’t think of any wired headphones to fulfil that either, dummy.

it's gone user, people with more money and influence than you have decided. get over it.

>having to pair wireless headphones each time i want to use it for a different device
Doesn't happen with Applel. And even with cheap stuff, it's still more convenient than using a cable.

>audio quality, latency
Non issue since BT 4. Shitty BT headphones doesn't mean the fault is with BT.

Charging is the real downside but thanks to our Chink overlords, the stuff is so cheap, you can get another pair if you listen to music a lot like me.

Just get USB-C headphones. I was against the audio jack too but seriously why should there be one dedicated jack just for it esp. when the USB-C is vacant most of the time you're using it?

>Find me a pair of wireless headphones where you can instantly switch to any device you want without having to "pair to device"
Find me a pair of wired headphones where you can instantly switch to any device you want without having to "unplug and plug back in."

Just get a usb c to 3.5 mm adapter for a few dollars, it's not the end of the world. Phone companies are just removing it because of laziness and wanting to upsell you their bluetooth earphones.

Bluetooth earphones suck, they're always dying. The only solution seems to be putting 10000mah cans on.

Bluetooth is terrible audio, doesn't matter what headphones you use. That said I hate audio cables on mobile devices so I don't mind the removable of 3.5 mm as I would never use it anymore. Bluetooth audio quality is good enough for mobile.

>Bluetooth is terrible audio
It doesn't though. The issues when you have shitty audio is due manufacturers using weird codecs. With 5 the latency is fine for more demanding tasks too.

Also, whatever happened to hooking up your MP3s to AUX?

Fucking applel

Now you won't even hook up the phone to your buddy's radio because you'll be doing the bluetooth dance and you left your dongle.

Hmm I love mainstream tech

>Also, whatever happened to hooking up your MP3s to AUX?
Why would the average manufactor cripple progress by pandering to the 2 autists who do this?

do you know about BOM costs?

Every component that you'll find inside a product adds to the cost of making that product. A product with fewer components will generally cost less to produce, and have fewer failures in manufacturing. Now I don't think the 3.5mm jack is either expensive or anywhere near being a common pain point in manufacturing, but it's still adding to the BOM either way.

The whole argument about making phones thinner etc. is just misdirection anyway, the truth is their engineers simpy don't want to take the jack into consideration when designing.

5g is for general slowcooking of the populace but the removal of headphone jacks and everybody switching to wireless is for crisping the surface.

It's less about BOM and thinness and more about space. Even compared to the size of a phablet, the jack is fucking huge despite not adding anything. Keeping it around is idiotic on every level.

They're cheaping out like why include a jack when all the normalfags use bluetooth?

>buy 1000 dollar plus flagship phones with no 3.5mm jack
>cant afford a standalone dap for a hundred bucks

So flagshipshitters really are planmonkeys that dont buy shit outright, or idiots.

>implying OP actually bought a flagship phone and isn't a poorfag who's bitching about tech he can't afford

>plugging is hard

Because it saves them money on materials and engineering cost per device. It's the same reason micro SD and removable batteries mostly disappeared.

Basically, kikes gonna kike.

I use my earbuds while charging.

1. It's 0.1% cheaper to make a phone without a headphone jack.
2. On average, wireless headphones are sold at a higher price than the wired ones, and most manufacturers that remove the headphone jack have their own wireless headphones for you to buy.

They're trying to present the lack of a headphone jack as some prestigious "feature" that differentiates a high-end phone from anything else (look at Pixel 3 vs 3a).

>repairing is hard

its not just port you moron, its fucking analong signal that can be use for other tools than just music.

This.
It's not just about the jack itself. Previously you had two ports, and now you have one - therefore you can't do two things at once anymore. It's a downgrade, no matter how you look at it.
I charge the phone while listening to music/podcast/whatever almost every night, so any phone without a headphone jack is fucking useless for me.

But I won't and didn't so you're just projecting your weak willed slave mentality on to others. Pro tip, fuck turtles.

You people are abnormal. Why would you hook yoruselves up to something that's hooked to a wall?

The smartphone boom is slowing way way down so they are absolutely desperate to market new phones as innovative or fashionable, even when those things fuck stuff up. We cant have nice things because of profit margin maintenance basically.

>gee I wonder why companies want to replace a simple basic part with a complex part they can all sell dongles to

>he doesnt have a phone that can charge wirelessly

this, should be obvious for clueless OP. company's created a problem to sell you a solution, (bt earphones with batteries that WILL detoriate or expensive dongles) tl;dr: money

It allows apple to sell high priced gear because it requires its own DAC and also a wireless transciever and battery.

Soon they will lock out 3rd party headphones on behalf of security and preventing pirating of audio.

It's extremely inconvenient to charge the phone wirelessly if I'm keeping it in a bed near me at night.
I can't hold the phone in my hand while it's charging wirelessly.
Wireless charging is slower and less efficient.

>as well as those silly decorations that can be attached there

you hurt pupper feelins

Attached: 324242342.jpg (500x500, 15K)

not a problem on my Quad DAC V30

Calling it here.
> Once companies figure out wireless charging they will take out the USB hub on consumer phones.
> Once this is done they will release developer tablets designed with built in physical keyboards and mice.
> You will never be able to transfer files or change the firmware of the device without going through the phones cloud service.
> Retards will justify this by saying the USB jack broke easily.

>Moreover, almost every time your headphones break it’s due to the stupid wire, not the headphones themselves.
Maybe if you mistreat your headphones like a fucking neanderthal.
Even if that's true, if you're on the Jow Forums - Technology board and you can't open up a pair of headphones and replace the cable there's something wrong with you.

keep ignoring latency issues kid. when are you gonna grow up?

>You will never be able to transfer files or change the firmware of the device without going through the phones cloud service.
Why would you need the cloud to transfer files if the things got wifi?

>flagship phones have less features than mid range now
it's so strange.

At least I can continue to enjoy my audio jack, FM Radio, AND bluetooth connectivity.

Stop being retarded. It takes 1 to 2 seconds to unplug/replug. Meanwhile:
>put the peripheral in pairing mode with some funky long press or God forbid going into a mess of menus
>open jewtooth settings on your phone
>searching....please make sure your device is discoverable
>finally pops up, tap it, then tap pair
>r u sure u want to pair this device you've already spent a bunch of time trying to pair?
>say yes
>confirm this code on the other device then press pair again
>press angrily
Finally
>sound sometimes gets randomly garbled
>after turning on your peripheral again you have to either wait for the retarded fucking things to finally reconnect or go back into jewtooth settings and forcibly reconnect
Maybe for unemployed NEETS jewtooth is "dank" and all, but for people with shit to do it's incredibly frustrating. It's a solution that was looking for a problem from the get go.

Exactly. If I use wired headphones, let me use them. If I use Bluetooth headphones, let me upgrade my phone to PUPPERPHONE.

pic related, problem solved

Attached: conexant_usb-c_headset_678_678x452.jpg (678x450, 42K)

How many fucking devices do you have to always unplugging and re-plugging them into then call others NEETS?

>Headset lasts 30 hours, super comfy stops all other noise.
>Turn on, automatically connects with device instantly.

Maybe buy a decent set instead of $30 chinkshit.

Does this device include a DAC, or use the audio pins of USB C? If it has a DAC, how good is that DAC and how much more does this cost than the normal version of the earbud? If it uses USB C analog audio pins, are you sure your phone supports USB C analog audio?

>Why is the industry removing the headphone jack
It is? Which phone doesn't have a headphone jack?

I think they will implement DRM with USB C an Bluetooth soon,effectively killing the ability to play stored music

>confirm this code on the other device then press pair again
Wat? Does Lagdroid really do it for headphones?

>watching a movie on PC
>phone rings
With 3.5mm, you yank the plug out of one and jam it into the other before tapping to answer the call. With Bluetooth you have to pick up and tell the person to hold while you fuck around with Bluetooth things. Some Bluetooth devices are nice and can connect to two devices at once, which helps a lot with this, but it comes with its own downside: one device can interrupt your audio from the other, causing you to miss a line in your movie because it's so important that you hear a notification tone.

Never seen this happen for Bluetooth headphones. Apparently some old ass devices with antiquated Bluetooth stacks do this, in which case the code is usually 0000.

I got $20 chickshit and pairing with phone or iPad takes 3 steps and 5 sec tops, user is just LARPing or a boomer.

It's only erratic with laptop sometimes but mostly because I haven't figured out what the stupid different lights mean.

I can't refute anything you said, you are 100% right.
In fact, unlike non-removable batteries, too large screens or some other shit, headphone jacks are still not completely gone, and it's still reasonably easy to buy a new phone with one even today.
This shows that, despite years of Apple's desperate push to remove it, people actually WANT a headphone jack.

>phone rings
>answer it from the computer since you got Hands Off activated
Oh right.

Connects to which device? If I have Bluetooth on in my laptop and phone, it's a crapshoot which will grab my headphone when I turn it on. So this necessitates toggling Bluetooth on the device and then waiting for it to scan and connect. And if I'm switching from one device to another I also have to disable Bluetooth on the other device to release the headphone too. It isn't a terribly long process but it isn't nearly as fast as pulling a plug.

>flagships drop the shit
>people want the shit
You got a weird logic, man. It's only available on cheap throwaway phones because it's not worth to take the time to come up with a design to use the gained space. Most people couldn't care less as long there are some usable headphones included.

I said PC.

Ummm, sweetie... USB-C is a headphone jack.

It is about the same if you take into account that the cable is all fucked after being in your pocket, and sometimes you need to adjust the right/left if it's too twisted.

Besides there is the whole freedom of movement. Want to pick up that bottle of water/lube in another room? Turn down the lights? Answer the door? Take out your headphones.

Macs are PCs. In the end it's your fault for using obsolete tech and expecting a non horrible experience.

>most people buy flagships
You've got some even weirder logic, pal.

*requires inconvenient dongle or nonstandard headphones that cost more

Well, talking about the first world.

Yeah, it's unreal.
When I tell people that nowadays a 200$ phone is better than a 1000$ phone, I mean it. Not only are you gonna have an equal or better experience for a fifth of the price, they also have more features on paper too.

>being poor
So maybe the real problem isn't smartphones, but you not having a job.

So outside of America? That's even more true then.

>if you don't want to be bothered with nonstandard garbage you are poor
Who taught you this amazing logic?

>Latency for listening music
Wew

>nonstandard
It's just a NEW standard. Get with the times or get left behind.

deviceatlas.com/blog/most-popular-smartphones#f
Basically any developed country is iPhone, iPhone, Galaxy or iPhone, Galaxy, iPhone in the top 3.

Freedom of movement is the one point you have there. I use Bluetooth sometimes, for that reason. Cables don't get that horribly twisted unless you got crappy ones. Most decent Bluetooth earbuds have a wire between them anyway, and the ones like Airpods that don't usually make music sound awful.
Also I need Windows, so there's that. If I was on Linux I could do a Hands Off mode type thing but without relying on proprietary nonstandard stuff, even if I had a flip phone, since that can make the PC connect to any phone as a bluetooth headset.

Ah yes, I too enjoy having the audio not sync up to movies so that everything I watch looks like a shitty dub.

"Only works between a Mac and an iPhone and no we aren't releasing the protocol spec and will probably sue the shirt off anyone who reverse engineers it" is not a new standard.

So we're comparing an OS that has 1-3 models per year, to an OS that has hundreds of models available, by comparing individual models? Doesn't that seem a wee bit dishonest?

>being this autistic
A-user, I ..

>Only works between a Mac and an iPhone
Huh? USB-C headphones work on Android phones just fine.

>making sure that the thing you purchase is going to work with your device before you buy it is now autism

>and the ones like Airpods that don't usually make music sound awful
Good enough for millions of people.

>If I was on Linux I could do a Hands Off mode type thing but without relying on proprietary nonstandard stuff,
You sure there is nothing like that on Windows? Didn't they have some phone app. In what fucking world did Linux pass Windows when it comes to connectivity to consumer tech.

Also USB C is a fucking standard and has nothing to do with any specific company. You're thinking about lightning.

We're not comparing any OS. The relevant bit is that these are flagships that dominate the sales charts in developed countries, so clearly most people have zero issues with lack of headphone jacks.

I fucked up. I thought that was in regard to Hands Off mode for some reason.

>Good enough for millions of people.
Most people buy them more as a fashion accessory than for their sound quality.

>You sure there is nothing like that on Windows? Didn't they have some phone app.
It replies to texts, shows phone notifications on the PC, and transfers photos from phone to PC. Texts is the only thing in there that would be remotely useful to me. And then it wants me to sign into it with a Microsoft account. I would really rather move these things over my home network, not out to the cloud and back again. And I can use Remote Keyboard to type into my phone from my PC keyboard anyway. I might consider the app if it did calls.

>In what fucking world did Linux pass Windows when it comes to connectivity to consumer tech.
It has in some ways but not others. Got some old ass device that the manufacturer only has drivers up to Windows 7 but what you have is 10 so it can't be used? Chances are it's just plug and play with no driver install on Linux. Managed to connect an old 80s floppy drive to your PC somehow? Linux can probably figure out how to use it. Brand new devices are what tend to be hit and miss. If it can work as one of the generic USB device classes, it will work fine. If it needs some special driver that the OEM only made a Windows version of and nobody's written a Linux counterpart for, you're SOL.
Linux also wrests more control over Bluetooth from the drivers, so the Bluetooth profiles offered are defined by software designed by people who want to make their PCs do weird things, not by OEMs that think making the PC show up as a headset would just confuse people.

>Watching movie on PC.

Okay neet.

My Bose come with an app I just select connect on what device I want to use.

>Most people buy them more as a fashion accessory than for their sound quality.
"Stupid normies are willing to listen to music in a way that's not enjoyable to look cool" Yeah, no. Obviously the sound quality isn't going to blow anyone away but if it wasn't good enough, they simply wouldn't sell.

>Chances are it's just plug and play with no driver install on Linux.
Come to think of, that happened on my weird wifi card on desktop too, 10 needed me to find some ancient 32 bit driver from the manufacturer.

>Linux also wrests more control over Bluetooth from the drivers, so the Bluetooth profiles offered are defined by software designed by people who want to make their PCs do weird things
Well, that's one of the things one expect from it. Still, such a fucking joke when software that's meant for enterprise like Windows doesn't have some Hands Off thing. It's not like it's even the hot new thing anymore. They had plenty of time.

>Okay neet.
Sorry, I forgot, adults aren't allowed to engage in any activity that brings pleasure. Up in the morning, off to work, break for lunch, get home just in time for dinner and bed. Sleep, wake and repeat until death.

>A good pair can last you 20+ hours on a single charge
Wired lasts 24/7

>almost every time your headphones break it’s due to the stupid wire, not the headphones themselves
A decent wire lasts a long time. Good headphones have a detachable wire so you can replace it easily, often with any old aux wire. And if it doesn't, it's a pretty trivial job with a soldering iron. When Bluetooth headphones die it's usually because the Bluetooth module keeps dropping connection mysteriously, which isn't easy to fix, or the battery no longer holds a charge, which is easy if you can solder.

>gets brain cancer
>doesn't get perfect audio
enjoy

>normalfaggots care about quality
Get a load of this fucking faggot.
They dont even know what good quality is/sounds like. I mean if you only ever used the shit that comes with the phone, how should they know what decent quality sounds like.
And still if they get exposed to good sound/quality they cope with shit like "who needs that", "my (insert overhyped product for normalfags) is good enough for me". They even say this shit when you show them better products for less. They are just fucked in the head and are manipulated by brands like apple very easily.

>Wireless headphones are better.
I've been using wireless headphones for 4 years, and I know they're not better.
>A good pair can last you 20+ hours on a single charge.
Wired headphones can last forever on a single charge, because they don't need a charge.
>almost every time your headphones break it’s due to the stupid wire, not the headphones themselves
This happens, but the chance of this happening is way less than the chance of a battery in your wireless headphones losing its capacity (which is inevitable).

And with wired headphones you don't have to deal with fucking Bluetooth, which is by itself enough of a reason to choose them.

Considering that most of us have seen with our own eyes many people IRL who stretched 4:3 video on 16:9 displays for years, it's not unreasonable to assume most people just don't care about quality anything, audio included.

You're joking right?
It was basically expected that when a group of friends were in a car together, anyone could play their music through the car just by plugging a cable into their headphone jack.
Now you have to go through the bullshit of pairing phones and getting the right one connected, or keep multiple DONGLES and not be able to play music while charging.

I would agree that it's better to have the option but it's not hard to pair and I like not having to deal with cords. I will say that wireless mice are forever stupid but wireless earbuds are fine and convenient on the go.

Thankfully my Note 10+ also came with USB-C earphones.

Attached: vqGeMsr.gif (350x255, 1.78M)

Even with Bluetooth and USB-C headphones (both of which are not great), the lack of a headphone jack completely ruins certain use cases:

The one who gets paired first plays the music.

You know the main reason why some people don't see a problem in the removal of a headphone jack? No, it's not Bluetooth headphones. And it's not USB-C.

It's because these faggots are playing their trash music on the built-in speaker, or even on a massive external speaker, so that everyone can hear it all the time. I hate this so much.

The smartphone industry is at its greatest point. Now the kinks have been ironed out and everybody already has one, so prices haven fall rock bottom, unless you're retarded.

Shit this lg 157bl has me a year and it was $50. At that price when I spend $30 /mo on service I could have an even nicer phone but I don't really need it if the cracked one works. The phone does not replace a computer, not even a $1000 one will replace a $100 PC. But like I said that $1000 mobile doesn't meed to outperform the $50 one nearly the whole time.

This is why you buy a lgv20 and keep the lgv20 forever
>expandable battery
>headphone jack
>expandable storage
Feels good to not be locked into the corporate kikephone scam

We only hear in analogue, it HAS TO have a DAC.

I don't disagree and I'm sure it completely buttfucks content creators but since I kind of fall out of those specific use case scenarios, it just kind of worked out for me personally. I'm more pissed off about physical buttons and capacitive keys getting phased out to make way the full screen meme since onscreen buttons are inferior in just about every way.

Attached: 1541348505081.jpg (500x500, 56K)