When did you realize syntax highlighting is actually unnecessary?

When did you realize syntax highlighting is actually unnecessary?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-10 14-33-11.png (3840x2160, 693K)

The same day I realized anything beyond nano on a black-and-green terminal was unnecessary
That doesn't make it unhelpful you stupid fucking faggot
Go take a shit

It's a strange thing, but looking at un-highlighted source code makes me feel unformcortable. Everytime I log onto the cluster and 'nano/vim' up some files for whatever reason, it ends up being quite annoying if I have to look at an IDL file for which my nano/vim setup doesn't have highlighting. Rather annoying.

just use emacs and M-x package-install -mode
no looking needed

I guess. Hard to un-train a habit, I've always used nano on computing nodes, simply because it's quicker.

>trannysoft

ORANGE CRAB BAD

Attached: 8yvcqurvzun11.jpg (490x586, 19K)

is that how split panel works in vs code? Each pane gets its own list of tabs? Seems less useful than emacs buffers which can be accessed by any pane.

It's weird, I use syntax highlighting, but I don't assign any specific meaning to any colors, I just use it to separate language keywords, function names, variable names, etc.
It's also pretty easy to see a simple syntax error because it'll be the same color as a variable.

that matching paren highlighting is too subtle. comments being impossible to see is also dumb. they are supposed to contain useful information and sometimes help with visual organization

it's useful, helps with eye tracking between parts of code, and catches a lot of simple typos
the only things that really need highlighting are keywords, comments, strings, and numbers

no need to get any fancier than that, but it's okay if it's there

>validate my contrarianism
kys

Yep. Kind of shitty

Its how tabs tend to work in almost all apps now. Tabs indicate individual documents, not a workspace

>typos
underlining is sufficient
>matching braces
many code editors emphasize matching braces

Pleb

Attached: LaFTe.png (639x315, 69K)

that is some shitty ass formatting skills, my man

?

day one?

highlighting numbers is dumb. For a good programming language, just keywords/control flow statements, comments, and strings are strictly necessary. Highlighting types and variable/function names is also nice. Languages that shove more shit on a single line need more highlighting. E.g. regexps benefit massively from syntax highlighting, making it easy to see grouping constructs and escaped characters such.

>.rs
>visual studio dilate
stopped reading there

Have sex nerd

One useful feature i liked when i was forced to use IntelliJ Idea was when you hovered over a closing curly braces and it would show the function definition in a floating window.

That was the only good feature.

>When did you realize syntax highlighting is actually unnecessary?
like the second I crawled outta my mom's cunt
candy-colored syntax highlighting is the most deeply reddit thing of all time, monokai especially is for flaming homosexuals who love sucking off dudes

Color code bad

Attached: vo6R31faxhPYki8RIusPmAtZfGW8G4XWCmu7B4RC1dc.jpg (600x291, 60K)

You seem to have a weird understanding of the word "unnecessary" and therefore basing your shitty implied argument on a false premise.
Did you know that even text editors are not only unnecessary, since you can edit text without one, but also violate the Eunuchs philosophy, since they commit the grave sin of letting you READ and WRITE text AT THE SAME TIME? Talk about bloat.
Yes, syntax highlighting is unnecessary, but it's still useful, and that's why I use it. Rob Pike can go fart in the flour.

Attached: 1541393559234.jpg (807x1118, 603K)

What is this code about btw, OP?

>(s)he doesn't run his(her) display on grayscale
When did you realize any color profile that isn't grayscale/b&w is actually unnecessary?

Syntax highlight lets you identify at a glance things that you'd have to otherwise read into, like what's a variable name, function definition, keyword, comment etc. Also useful when you're reading somebody else's code or in a bigger project, which you autists never do. With a grayscale theme best you can maybe tell where the comments are since they look the same visually.

Attached: Preview[1].png (1168x855, 217K)

How do I turn off syntax in Sublime Text? I wanna be a Chad too please.

install gentoo

You’re getting coal for Christmas! >:(

I'm writing an alarm/reminder app ;)

It involves some low level programming, because I don't want to half-ass it. It should detect application uniqueness, and be actually able to set persistent reminder/alarm. In future I intend it to be able to sync with google calander too ;)

The project is still in its infancy, haven't even written the main window and alarm/reminder struct yet. Once I do, I'll share it on gitlab under the MIT license ;)

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-10 18-58-07.png (3840x2160, 563K)

View -> Syntax -> Plain Text.

>Rust

Holy shit people actually use this garbage? I thought it was just shills memeing for the fun of it. I didn't think anyone was actually serious about it.

>no syntax highlighting
>Linux GNOME
>VS Code
>Gtk
>updates pending: 133

Attached: 6378-500x500.jpg (500x500, 26K)

I actually feel that Rust is better, coming from the C++ background, the crates.io is spoiling me. The language is quite decent too, I don't see why people wouldn't use it. ;)

Hahaha, never actually noticed that I got updates pending.

>comments are a different color than code
apparently you didn't, op

> Formatting skills
> """skills"""

Use a formatter you ding dong

>use formatter
>formatter sees some syntax error
>fucks up the entire source file

If it sees syntax error then fix them. And if you don't think it's worth fixing them configure your formatter so that it goes pass those

Natural selection

Whats the point in using bloat vsc then? Might as well use vi without any configurations.

i learned that syntax highlighting is unnecessary when rob pike told me it was unnecessary

t. rob pike

In the same way that clothing and shoes and running watter are unnecessary.

He started to use syntax highlighting IRL afterwards though.
Kids, never work for Google.

Attached: portrait.jpg (500x335, 20K)

i didn't. like all people, i knew it was unnecessary all along. i'll still use it because i like it.