OpenBSD does it again, Disables Firefox DNS botnet

You can now use Firefox in OpenBSD without worrying about Mozilla's moronic decision of sending your DNS traffic to Cloudflare.

Attached: 34432322.png (1054x645, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

torrentfreak.com/private-internet-access-no-logging-claims-proven-true-again-in-court-180606/
wiki.mozilla.org/Security/DOH-resolver-policy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security_letter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>applications should respect OS settings
Fucking finally. I thought I was the only one to think Mozilla is fucking retreated for using cloudflare and pretending OS level DNS doesn't exist.

They're doing it deliberately you fucking moron. They want to sell you DNS data to Cloudfare by making it default.

Nice tinfioil hat, user.
Care to explain why the Firefox FOSS trannies would do such a thing?

Cloudflare are /ourguys/ though. Better them than the feds or Trump or whatever.

Attached: Proudflare-group-photo.jpg (2000x1335, 271K)

Money.

This is why that stupid troll who says "hurr durr OpenBSD security is just removing stuff" is fucking wrong.

OpenBSD proactive security means that they will not hesitate in removing malicious stuff like this from programs. It comes with mitigations and all kinds of stuff out of the box and you can't turn those features off. You are better running your insecure applications in OpenBSD than in Linux or Windows. Also the base system comes with lots of useful applications anyway.

Cloudflare doesn't have to comply with the GDPR, they will hand your queries to the US government anytime they want.

Thank god - ignoring OS/router DNS settings is the most retarded thing I have ever heard of. If you use Firefox and want to use your own DNS you will have to change every single device instead of just once at the router.

Fuck Mozilla.

openBaSeD

Money!

Mozilla is actually more like an exotic software brothel, raising quirky transexuals to write ethically broken code for the highest bidder, because they and their ilk otherwise don't bring in any revenue.

You can also install Linux in a VM on OpenBSD now :) So you can run all your spyware in a box and delete it when you're done.

Absolutely based.

Holy cringe. Imagine having this mindset, and not wanting to kill yourself. Must be utterly retarded and mentally ill.

Reminder that Mozilla just fucked over anyone using a host-file based blocking system

>Care to explain why the Firefox FOSS trannies would do such a thing?

Same reason they bundled adware for that garbage TV show in their browser? Same reason why they bloated their browser with Pocket garbage? Same reason why they ruined the new tab page with advertisements?

As a non-profit, their accounts are public.
Try again, idiots

>implying non-profits cannot sell your data
I've got news for you user

Show some evidence that the girls over at Mozilla sold your data

Money
Remember when they stupidly claimed 'we don't need google money!' and stopped taking that bribe to make their browser look exactly like Chrome?

I've used OBSD off and on since the early 2000s, it's probably the easiest, most simple OS anybody could learn where there is little complexity, everything is documented, and stuff just works. Of course you can't do neat things like run a thousand VMs, you can't use junk like Rustup to run nightlies and other things but if you're smart enough to realize you desktop should be stripped down for stability and simplicity, and your pile of VMs should be a seperate server running Xen on a cheap $160 box you'll do fine running OpenBSD F/T.

>linux VM
Sort of, they decided they don't give a shit about emulating linux so this is not complete.

Fuck Firefox Fags

Their VPN program is also sending all of your data to cloudflare. What the fuck is going on here?

Yeah, but it's enough to confuse the shit out of people who try and break in to my computer and make everything 100x harder. Particularly when you lock the Linux system down, Dockerize all the things, etc etc.

Look who sits on the board at Firefox. They're not even hiding it.

care to explain?

They want to centralize everything. DNS is privacy aware and resilient because it is decentralized. There are things that need to be improved but sending your info to Clouflare is not the correct way to make DNS more private.

Attached: Dj07b9UWwAAHMO7.jpg (1385x740, 87K)

You know, if Cloudflare decides to fuck you over, you're fucked anyway, DNS or not:
They are pretty much the MITM of all major website nowadays. They can see all your decrypted traffic. That is way more important than seeing random domains your browser is resolving.

So if you think this move helps your privacy at all, you're wrong. Cloudflare already MITM'd nearly every connection you make.

There are tons of major sites that don't use cloudflare - it's the middle-tier that rely on it. Now they'll get everything.

it doesnt appear to be enabled by default on linux

Attached: 1480580842143.jpg (1280x853, 195K)

"Everything"?
Just the names of domains your browser is resolving, for whatever reason that may be. That doesn't even mean you ever navigated to it.
Jow Forums uses Cloudflare. Every comment everyone here posts on this website is sent to them in plain text. That seems way more damaging to your privacy than the 5 websites you visit that gives no indication about what you do on those.

I mean, sure, it's another layer of control you strip from cloudflare and a good thing. But if you truly fear them, then consider yourself already fucked.

it isn't yet - Mozilla said they're turning it on by default with the next major release

see
They're not stopping with DNS

the internet is so fucking cucked, I wish I was a fucking boomer that never used it or never had access to it

>implying if the boot is shoved up your ass there's no point in stopping them from shoving it up there any further

A VPN protects you from quite a lot of that (at least in the case of Jow Forums, for sites that you have to log in on not so much). But now Firefox will ignore your VPN DNS settings and go straight to Cloudflare

interesting

is anyone itt using opennic

Attached: 1476834694439.jpg (736x551, 152K)

? I find its best to remove objects from the anus in the bathroom after your done cumming.

There is all sorts of reasons to not remove something from behind.

That's indeed bad.
Although a VPN won't really protect you much from tracking.
Modern trackers hardly care about IP Addresses thanks to (carrier grade) NAT and IP resets. And now, the company which has all the logs on you is your VPN provider, so your situation has actually gotten worse.
>Butbut my VPN provider doesn't keep logs!
Sure kiddo, they'd definitely rather go to prison for distributing CP and drugs rather than provide logs that prove that it was their customers who did that, including who it was and when.

Trannies are fucking larpers, they like to think they matter even if they don't.
They ones at mozilla will kill themselves soon anyways as it's the natural order for mentally disabled people.
Maybe the next ones won't care about power and money, who knows...

>trannies
You answered your own question.

just when I was enjoying Firefox... hope we can disable this “feature”

de-googled chromium doesn't have this issue :^)

what about vpn providers who have been proven to keep no logs in court?
staged by the feds?

They would hardly be allowed to continue commerce in the US if they didn't provide them with logs.

torrentfreak.com/private-internet-access-no-logging-claims-proven-true-again-in-court-180606/

Attached: 1529578888445.jpg (303x269, 68K)

how do I disable this on GNU/Linux?

I told you retards. Firefox was infiltrated years ago and they are slowly destroying it from within.

They made it slower, they removed choices, and now they are removing privacy.

Commercial browsers want it dead.

Don't you have to manually activate and configure that in about:config?

They should just nuke sorosfox from their repos.
Did you build the binaries?

Prior to 69, yes. In 69, it's a checkbox in about:preferences. In 70, it is apparently going to be the default.

>why would Google's puppet do such a thing

Citation needed

>what is mozilla corporation

They need shekels to cut their penises

Which DNS is the least botnet then?

tor

>CloudFlare DNS good
>CloudFlare DNS bad
What happened? I remember everyone shipping them like a year ago

Shilling* for I am a phone poster while I'm at work

chrom* shills in full force spreading fud
there is a setting in about: config or alternately set a NXDOMAIN response in your DNS server for a canary domain
if you're able to change system DNS you can also easily fix this, this is only going to improve navigation for clueless brainlets
also is about time to start encrypting DNS by default

>I remember everyone shipping them like a year ago
Because they either didn't know about DNScrypt, or thought that encrypting your SNI was Cloudflare-independent

>In the US, Firefox by default directs DoH queries to DNS servers that are operated by CloudFlare, meaning that CloudFlare has the ability to see users' queries. Mozilla has a strong Trusted Recursive Resolver (TRR) policy in place that forbids CloudFlare or any other DoH partner from collecting personal identifying information. To mitigate this risk, our partners are contractually bound to adhere to this policy.
>wiki.mozilla.org/Security/DOH-resolver-policy
So anons, what's the privacy policy of your current DNS?

Go to network settings and uncheck the box.

>Better them than the feds
Cloudflare IS the feds, dumbass.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security_letter

DNS-crypt proxy directs my requests to random servers that claim not to log queries.

DoH is harmful shit, DoT is the way to go.

OpenBaSeD

>mozilla corporation
>non-profit
kek
>The Mozilla Corporation was established on August 3, 2005 to handle the revenue-related operations of the Mozilla Foundation. As a non-profit, the Mozilla Foundation is limited in terms of the types and amounts of revenue. The Mozilla Corporation, as a taxable organization (essentially, a commercial operation), does not have to comply with such strict rules. Upon its creation, the Mozilla Corporation took over several areas from the Mozilla Foundation, including coordination and integration of the development of Firefox and Thunderbird (by the global free software community) and the management of relationships with businesses.

Why does it matter anyway? It's encrypted

Not from cloudflare it isn't. They need to be able to read the query in order to respond with the appropriate IP.

This is loophole exploitation 101. You would be shocked and dismayed if you knew how many "non-profit" organizations do this.

So, for us linux users, is un-googled chromioum the only alternative?

Can I run a DNS server that encrypted stuff and everyone can use it instead of botnet ones?

Wait what's going on?

Yuck

plz respond

Attached: 1565926944764.jpg (993x765, 126K)

Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the Mozilla Foundation. The entire organization is a non-profit.

Cuz they contracted the big gay

>Nonprofit organizations are exempt from federal income taxes under subsection 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax code. A nonprofit organization is an organization that engages in activities for both public and private interest without pursuing the goal of commercial or monetary profit.
Mozilla Corp = Taxable, for-profit commercial organization

Attached: Incorrect.jpg (392x578, 40K)

...which is wholly owned by the non-profit Mozilla Foundation.

Mozilla Corporation is a subsidiary. It is legally a separate company but it is owned entirely by the Mozilla Foundation who controls it.

I just blasted Devuan off my main laptop and put OpenBSD on there, it's super comfy anons. I have an older laptop I've been running OpenBSD for a few years on and as a server so I know what I'm doing, but removing the last vestiges of Linux from my machine felt really good.

They took millions from Soros over the past few years and have slowly been sneaking shit in like:
>telemetry
>"experiments" or plugins that run in a hidden state and auto-load from Mozilla's servers
>botnet which forwards every DNS request to (((Cloudflare))) so they have a record of where you browsed too now even if it's not in the (((Cloudflare))) network
>dropping gopher even though it worked great and only took up a few kb in source code in the tree, excuse was that it was "old" but really they didn't want to rewrite it in Rust, lazy fucking dilators
>forcing mainstream media propaganda onto your new tab page
>(((Pocket)))

The Mozilla operation consumes an incredible amount of cash, almost all of which comes from Google, the rest from Soros. And yet the software just gets worse, more bloated and useless, with each release. Thankfully you can still turn off all the above horse shit but for how long? And normies won't be able to find out that it's even doing all this spying on them, you have to drill down in the about:config to turn this shit off.

It works fine you just can't run graphics yet. But that's coming too. But you can run Linux and forward your X to OpenBSD and run Linux programs in a window which looks and feels identical to a normal OpenBSD window obviously, and the virtual network speed is lightning quick so it draws fast too.

That already exists actually, several different alternate DNS roots are available.

How do I disable it?

this is the company that did provide logs on anons in 2013

Unless you're on Nightly for some retarded reason it's not enabled by default yet.

I do with the dns lists that the dnscrypt-proxy2 people publish, I only enable the ones that support opennic/dot,doh,dnscrypt/dnssec, so I don't use the opennic anycast servers

Which they use to legally circumvent laws regarding how they conduct business, allowing them to operate and make a profit commercially, despite the parent being non-profit, and funnel it back into the foundation.
The tl;dr is that they do all sorts of shady shit that is supposed to be illegal and get away with it.

it's nfl grade trickery

oh yes pro football's also a non profit organization

Being owned by a nonprofit does not make a commercial subsidiary nonprofit by extension.

cloudflare is nice for normies and for set and forget config on random places
Outside of that you're better off picking smaller and safeish servers or running your own recursive server if you don't mind leaving metadata all over the authoritative servers
Plenty of people do and there's easy to use lists maintained

The only good thing Mozilla does is the Developer Network documents. Change my view.

dosh?

cuckfare is pozzed

Attached: 1567775381888.jpg (337x398, 122K)

Based.

> can't find out how to disable diagnostics in FF dev edition's about:config
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

if theyre so strapped for cash why do they keep donating to trannies and domestic terrorists?