I just bought an SSD. What are some absolute DON'Ts with SSDs?

I just bought an SSD. What are some absolute DON'Ts with SSDs?

Attached: 1516700937_1382497.jpg (2500x2500, 794K)

Defragging

dont know about don'ts, but for increased speed shove it up your ass

do not download your torrents directly on these, use USB harddrive or soemthing

Don't set it on fire or it can produce toxic smoke.

Don't use NTFS.

Do not stick into anus. Or do

I have my .torrents on my ssd and the actual files on my hdd, is that bad?

Turn off your computer.
Now.

don't buy one less than 250gb, else you're playing the lottery

imagine being this clueless

why? give technical reason/s

>don't buy one less than 250gb
Even for SLC SSD?

yeah, they can track you down and arrest you faster thanks to SSD technologyâ„¢

Throwing

>don't buy one less than 250gb
Regular SSD with MCL is rated for 10,000 cycle.
Meaning 128 GB SSD, can get you 1,280,000 GB that's about 1.28 PB.
IRL you wouldn't reach that level of writing

Larger sizes usually means larger dram buffers and also much higher TBW. i.e. for an older (2014) Samsung 850 Evo, the 120 and 250gb drives had a TBW of 75, and the 500gb and 1TB had a TBW of 150, literally double the potential write limit just from going with a larger drive.

Nothing. It will probably outlive your mom.

>t. linux shill

Do the needful, winshitter.

Don't use windows, it defragment the SSD.

NTFS chews through SSDs. Cuts the lifespan at least in half.

For the retards that still think windows defrags ssds

Attached: trim.png (676x152, 7K)

No one cares, pajeet.

Eh

I care though.

NTFS fragments data, resulting in much quicker degradation and longer read times. It also hasn't implemented journaling properly. Even Microsoft dropped it from Windows Server, though Microsoft uses Linux for their internal servers.

I've had two 850 EVO drives for a few years now. The other day I accidently unplugged my power strip and when I plugged it back in and tried to boot all I got was "OS not found". I was shitting bricks thinking the drive got corrupted, but my stupid BIOS switched the boot order for some reason (actually, the reason is that MSI is fucking garbage).

I've not really done anything special with my SSDs that I've had for quite a while (~23k power on hours each)

Attached: file.png (868x1321, 174K)

just disable the scheduled tasks

Nothing anymore. They are just as usable and reliable.

Doesn't even matter, if you're autistic, defrag it as much you want. It would takes years of constant defragging to actually hurt it.

Well, it's good to keep it under 71C, sine that's the temperature most NAND controllers throttle, but that won't be as much of an issue with SATA based ones.

Just a retard.
I've been using a 1TB SSD for torrenting (nice and quiet while being more efficient) for over a year now, data written is around 280TB and life is showing 98%.

Anything Windows 8 (that includes 10 and LTSC/B) upwards will disable defragmenting SSDs automatically.

Proof or gtfo, as always. NTFS is so basic and doesn't do any management outside of when actually access is being done that I'd pretty much say the opposite compared to user non-solid state specific database filesystem.

We are talking about SSDs here, fragmentation has literally no effect on SSD speed.

you realize that data gets fragmented on ssds anyways because wear leveling? it won't change the degradation factor at all

Have you literally never seen an NTFS drive vs a BTRFS drive? Look at the journaling and tell me NTFS won't kill an SSD.

>running trim all the time
That's even worse than defrag

>life is showing 98%.
What do you use?

Are you retarded or just ignorant to what trim actually does?

If you have a QLC drive you're quite literally on the edge of failure, if it's TLC you have two thirds left

no, it's the read/write cycles that supposedly reduce lifespan. although there's not really anything to back this up, if a drive can't handle reading and writing a few terabytes then it's useless as a drive in the first place.

imagine being so snide as to belittle someone for being less knowledgeable than you

t. retard

imagine being such a dumb fucking nigger that you're given away by your reading comprehension
please use a tripcode like a propper retard so you can be filtered
calling him clueless isnt belittling him, its letting him know he's clueless
literal 10yolds know you can delete the .torrent after loading it in the program and can draw the conclusion its read once for that purpose
thats your answer btw, and you fucking nigger dont even say that you just spout some irrelevant bs
if you can't handle reading a few posts maybe you're useless as a poster in the first place

Should I buy a 4TB SSD now, or just wait a few months?
I see the prices are dropping by like half each year, and can afford to wait, but I don't want some kike faction to rig the prices again (wala ram).

Maybe use hibernation less.

Don't

worry because it's not fucking 2013, modern OSes know what the fuck to do. You'll have only maybe some trouble with obscure loonix distros. Everything else is a fucking meme. SSDs can stand a lot of shit now.

calm down buddy lmao

Disable fast boot if on windows: it writes the content of your ram every time you turn the pc off. Way too many GB written just to save a few seconds on boot, you also pay them back on shutdown anyway. Disable hibernation to make sure you can't use fast boot and save disk space.
Disable file indexing also because it's useless.

>using QLC ever
Why would you do that when the TLC drives are the same price?
Plus warranty TBW is like 10x lower than actual TBW, user has buttloads left.

n i g g e r

Attached: nger.jpg (771x681, 128K)

Not user but if you think that NTFS journaling will kill or even be noticeable on a SSDs life, you're actually retarded
The information written by it is miniscule compared to the actual data

Enjoy your dead SSD. I don't understand why you would use that filesystem when not even its creators have faith in it.

DON'T listen to retards on Jow Forums. Buy it and enjoy using it.

Where's your real world proof, NEETo?

>Where's your real world proof, NEETo?
So you've never even seen how NTFS works?

What about SSHD?

I've seen very well sweaty. Where are the dead SSDs?

In the trash, probably.

Still running my Plextor M5 Pro from like 6 years ago. Has over 600TB of writes but then again it's an MLC drive with a proper controller. Lots of garbage out there nowadays.

Nothing special.
Enjoy it.
Only thing is that if you have a low endurance SSD such as a Kingston A400, it may not last too much (as in 3-4y instead of 7-8y) but for most uses it's fine.

If you want to be absolutely autistic about future proofing, consider a 3D XPoint drive such as an Intel Optane 900P/905P. Mostly just money down the drain though.

Typical Jow Forums autist
>Makes retarded statement
Call him out on his bullshit and ask for proof
>HURR, HOW COME YOU DON'T KNOW?
Obviously, no proof, low-quality bait.

You want proof of a basic feature of NTFS?

I want proof of the real world impact that NTFS journaling has on the lifetime of an SSD. Don't pretend to be retarded now that you've been called word for word on your bullshit.

You want to know why unnecessarily subjecting a drive to 15-20 times the number of r/w cycles would be a bad thing?

not the other guy, but yes, explain this to me.

SSDs have limited r/w cycles.

>Moving the goalpost, the post
You made this simple statement:
>NTFS chews through SSDs. Cuts the lifespan at least in half.
Now I'm asking you to back it up with real world evidence.

>Now I'm asking you to back it up with real world evidence.
I've proved my statement already. The more the use, the less the lifespan. Pretty simple.

Are the Samsung Pro SSDs still MLC?

You just proved that you are just a pajeet with no basic understanding of ratios/proportions or anything in general. Here's your (You).

>What are some absolute DON'Ts with SSDs?
Nothing, this is not 2010 anymore.
Don't defrag because it's useless

Says the pajeet defending NTFS eating SSDs.

Wtf is wrong with you autists. If you're buying a non garbage SSD from 2019 it's not gonna die within the next 10 years unless you're doing database conversions 24/7

>NTFS
It's a shit system in general.

I'm not defending NTFS, I was actually looking for a reason not to switch my freenas server to windows, but it seems all you trannies have "it's better because I say so". No proof, no stats, no research. Just regurgitated memes.

Why would a server run Windows?

I think everyone is already aware of NTFS' shortcomings. Just because you don't know doesn't mean they don't exist.

See
It's like we're going in circles.

Post source.
All my EXT4 and NTFS SSDs that have similar TBW equivalent to their size have similar life left.

Obviously NTFS is pure garbage, nobody ever claimed otherwise. But it doesn't kill SSDs quicker, you'd have to be a retard to actually believe that.

Is this bait, or are you just a retarded nigger?

if it's such common knowledge then surely you should have no trouble posting a source

>The more the use, the less the lifespan. Pretty simple.
Not irrelevant to the filesystem though, you do realize that?

Why would there be a source detailing NTFS' shortcomings? That isn't usually part of documentation.

NTFS is a shit system though.

There should be a source detailing the advantages any other FS has over NTFS.

Why would there be?

>Obviously NTFS is pure garbage
That's why it's been in use since 1993, because it's so terrible.

Only one company has been implementing it, and they aren't known for their quality.

Do you just reply with questions when you're called on your bullshit to avoid admitting you're a retard?

You want me to pull out some weird source for something that isn't part of the documentation of any filesystem. You're just being stupid.

I want you to support your bullshit statement with evidence, but obviously, you can't, because it's bullshit.

>Only one company has been implementing it
The market dominate company.

I think anyone who has worked with filesystems will know how shit it is. I don't have to prove my own experience to you.
So they have even less incentive to write quality software. They also don't use it in the server version of their OS.

I have a 7200 rpm HDD and feel like SSD is unneeded

This
Your SSD is more in danger of being replaced by bigger, faster and cheaper SSDs than dying.
I have a 120gb SSD that cost me around $120 in 2012 that's still alive and I didn't do anything especial at all with it to keep it alive, meanwhile I just bought 2 1TB SSDs for $120 each. I'm probably gonna take that 120gb drive out of my PC within a year or two (assuming my mobo/cpu don't die) because it's not even worth the sata slot anymore to have a drive that small.

I think anyone who has worked with NEETs will know how much bullshit they regurgitate. You don't need to prove your own experience, since you don't have any.

Typical shill tactic.

EXT4 has many advantages. It's the sole reason I switched to linux.

lmfao like what? EXT4 literally has no real world advantages and most certainly not for a weeb that spends all his day ricing his desktop

Journaling and encryption niggerfaggot.

>Journaling
NTFS is journaling as well.
>encryption
NTFS has encryption as well you retard.

retard

What's the command to rebuild an encrypted NTFS partition?
Why don't I need to deframent an EXT4 system?