/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby

>windows 7 ricing guide (nanami-tan fork)
namazso.github.io/nanami-tan/

previous thread:

Attached: f11d53b06626d6e5de163531668e7b85.gif (300x396, 1.19M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files
touko-tan.info/
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/signing-drivers-for-public-release--windows-vista-and-later-
7-zip.org/download.html
github.com/stax76/mpv.net
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4512534
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4512578
ghacks.net/2019/09/10/sandbox-program-sandboxie-is-now-freeware-soon-open-source/
ebay.com/itm/223514372074
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i want to cumflate nanami-chan

magnet link for those interested in downloading LTSC

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:369E0306EF42BA0A1463E914C8819C3E575EBE8E

friendly reminder: this is the recommended archive program now.

ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files

Attached: serveimage.png (280x140, 6K)

how can I watch youtube videos and get youtube subscriber feed without actually using youtube

Attached: Cwm8lkaXgAA71Gf.jpg (640x640, 33K)

No, 7-Zip is.

kys shill

by using RSS for the subs or using Invidious

i don't even know what is it, but there is nothing that can beat 7zip

Read the article or use the program. You will be surprise how intuitive is the gui and how fast it is for compression and extraction.

Attached: bandizip-archive.png (1084x682, 94K)

Go shill your shit program somewhere else

user, if you want to write an Int13h driver for Windows, don't let us stop you.

friendly reminder: bandizip is the new shill shit, after Brave browser

go to hell

hey, check this
touko-tan.info/

This is out of my scope, because I need to rebuild the NTFS partition before Windows loads (and virtual memory starts); besides, it takes money to sign drivers.
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/signing-drivers-for-public-release--windows-vista-and-later-
I stumbled upon that because long ago I had an analog TV capture card that required driver signature on Windows AMD64 (gotta love the green team for killing Itanium, if only for the trolling value) to be "disabled" (actually, allow user-signed drivers to be installed in the user machine).

Fun as fuck fact:
You can disable driver signing, install an unsigned driver, re-enable driver signing, and the thing stays loaded - even under full-blast Secure Boot.
Found this out quite by accident (and to everyone's infinite amusement) setting up my gf's little NUC server - the drivers were keyed not to install on Windows Server (thanks a lot, Intel), so had to be modified (and break the signature of course).

Attached: 1564525555933.png (340x374, 233K)

The more you know, wow, such security.
This is a quite interesting piece of information. It is almost like Microsoft wants that exploits that manage to sneak in will stay there, with kernel-level access.

Wouldn't that be slow as fuck switching back to real mode?

that shouldn't work.
however, there is a trick that does work:
grab a leaked expired certificate, set back your system clock to when it was valid, sign the binary, and it will load

*you can set back time to normal and it will still load

here, note taken.

It requires quite a lot of user interaction, so it's not exactly a gaping hole. While I said that it will work under Secure Boot, it can't be in Secure Boot mode WHILE you're actually installing it.
The steps were:
>disable secure boot
>disable driver signature enforcement with clever bcd options
>install "naughty" driver
>verify installation
>re-enable dse
>re-enable sb

You don't know the half of it. Not only will it be slow as fuck to switch all the way down to real mode - which is extra steps in long mode (IIRC you can't go straight from RM to LM, you have to switch to 32-bit protected mode inbetween) - there's also the size of your buffer will be tiny, because in RM, you've only got conventional memory to work with.
So you'd have to find a way of reserving memory in the first megabyte on driver init, then for every. fucking. disk. access switch from LM->PM->RM, do your Int13h into your tiny conventional memory buffer, switch RM->PM->LM, take the buffer - and if the transfer is larger than your conventional memory buffer, do it again... and again... and again, until you have your whole I/O.
Slipstreaming your USB3 drivers in doesn't look so bad anymore, does it.

Yes it does look bad, at least on the bare installer.

how about virtual 8086 mode?

Attached: 1561662918249.jpg (494x679, 61K)

*nvm forgot it doesn't exist in long mode anymore

Whatever happened to the old trick of plugging the UFD into a USB 2 port, anyway?

Does this actually work? Asking for a friend.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Having said that, I've never had to install Windows 7 on a remotely new machine.

Isn't there a violent ethnic cleansing somewhere you should be caught in?

>friendly reminder: this was always the recommended archive program
>
>7-zip.org/download.html
FTFY. You're welcome.

Attached: 7z_rm01.jpg (435x259, 13K)

it's me () again, post some stuff for ricing win10 so i can make some site out of this like nanami-tan

Sorry, but your archiver does not have file previews from the context menu.

Attached: bandizip-context3.png (730x333, 18K)

Use peazip

Use this Or this Or even fucking this But don't use b&izip.

Peazip and 7zip have been proven to be slower than Bandizip.

Attached: bz-association.png (719x469, 34K)

>just what we need
>another cpu and fs intensive shell extension
Hard pass.
And KYS shill.

can't we get a mod to ban the bandifag's IP/range?

report and ignore

between various browsers , I'm going to ditch chromium based forever because they are gonna block ad-blockers
so should i stick to waterfox or is there better alternative with sync?
>inb4 FF
i tried every branch of the new FF but the problem its loading pages very SLOWLY

Mods are fags.
b&ishill hasn't knocked Android or mentioned Plebbit, so he has carte blanche.

The good thing is that you can go to the settings to enable/disable the preview or the context menu integration entirely.

Attached: bz-advanced.png (1078x685, 57K)

go find the nearest beach & take a big shit pajeet, bring some bandizip for wiping

Don't forget that mpv.net is the new kin/g/ of windows media players. It is an mpv front-end made for newcomers.

github.com/stax76/mpv.net

Attached: mpcweak.png (607x608, 330K)

Does it have zip files to separate archive feature? That's what makes me still using winrar.

Yes. Bandizip is feature-par with WinRAR.

doesn't show up in preferred media player in settings. Can't bother to find every video extension and hook up to that .exe file everytime I open new (extension) video file.

forgot to post from new ip in ?

WHY THE FUCK DOES MY PC TURN ITSELF ON?!?!?! I HAVE NO IDEA BESIDES THE RETARDED HIBERNATION+ STUFF IT HAS OR THAT THE CPU IS FROM INTLEL, BUT WHAT IN THE FUCK IS GOING ON? I WANNA SLEEP AT NIGHT WITHOUT THE COMPUTER GOING YOLO. PLEASE HELP, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Attached: 1567064399884.jpg (727x960, 61K)

motherboard issues, most likely. you can temporarily fix this by turning off your power supply everytime you dont use your pc. do you run dual boot?

A ghost posesses your PC. Try to install exorcism.exe.

Actually at the end of mpv.net installation, you set it as your default image, audio or video associated program.

Attached: mpvnet_default.png (626x439, 54K)

Well, I did checked that option (on default video) but it doesn't show up for me

Attached: no_mpv.png (1873x787, 471K)

ReeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I DISABLED EVERYTHING EVEN EXPLORER, WINDEFENDER, MY WIFI, SEARCH ETC AND IT STILL GOT 3 ERRORS
FHDSIUFYSOUIFWHYFIUEWFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

so.. does optimize-ltsc script actually reduce your baseline memory usage or not? compared to regular 2019 ltsc distro

Attached: Screenshot_64.png (1369x148, 22K)

not really, you can simply disable the services of features instead of removing them

>i crippled windows and now it doesn't work!

Attached: hmmmmmmmmmm.gif (480x264, 1.54M)

>disable the services
only to have them re-enable themselves after every single update? or does that never happen on LTSC?

No, I did in the past but now I don't. I will probably do that, but should I update the BIOS just in case?

haven't had that happen on ltsc so far, or i didn't notice. but as far as i remember last time i ran W10Privacy the checks were atleast in the same state i left them 6 months ago

do you even know what i was running, mr. imaginary boogeyman guy? i wasnt modifying an existing live installation..

LTSC only gets security updates. So no.

yeah, you could try updating your BIOS just in case. I had this issue 8+ years ago on my old am2 socket pc, but I dont remember how i fixed it. something related to the mobo, but not sure what exactlyt. maybe the cmos battery?
thank you, guess ill stop trying to optimize my already working ltsc iso and just install it on my laptop

botnet

Are there any significant advantages you get from using KMS_VL_ALL instead of DAZ loader for activating Windows 7?

Attached: 435345542.gif (170x170, 196K)

UEFI compatibility

Use the context on a video file. Go to Open with and select mpv.net as the default. If it does not appear, choose to look for it on the PC.

Very long shot, I am mostly a Linux user and I don't know if this still exists: does Windows still have the so called safe mode?
Wait for replies from other anons on how to boot into it.

How do I delete this bloat? I don't even have or use Office

Attached: Screenshot (3).png (1920x1080, 677K)

technically, LTSC gets non-security updates as well, it just doesn't get feature updates, which will be in the next iteration of LTSC. so if a person wants the latest bells & whistles, LSTC is not the best choice.

There are scripts on github made to remove that bloat. I suggest use a search engine and type your question there.

The majority of windows users do not really need the latest.. LTSC 2019 is perfect because most programs will run on it while being stable.

to illustrate, the last 2 updates LSTC received have been .720 & .737. On their respective support pages, it states whether an update is a security or non-security, another clue is security updates come out on the 2nd Tuesday of the month.

KB4512534 (OS Build 17763.720) support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4512534

KB4512578 (OS Build 17763.737) support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4512578

I finally have an optimized LTSC iso on a flash drive. Going to install on my new build tomorrow.

>inb4 it all goes wrong

Attached: feel guy smiling.gif (534x640, 18K)

true, and every game I've thrown at it works too, so (fortunately, I do not play UWP crap) it's an amazing OS, minus being Windows.

share the .iso

scroll to top and click magnet link

did you test it out on a vm at least? dont tell me youre just going to install it blindly

just remember to run Windows Update to grab the latest CU since I believe the .0 version of LTSC contains that nasty bug with files being deleted. I know it's going on a new system, but I just thought I'd warn ya.

Sandboxie is now freeware and will soon be free and open-source.
ghacks.net/2019/09/10/sandbox-program-sandboxie-is-now-freeware-soon-open-source/

Attached: sandboxie-freeware.png (897x462, 23K)

>t. can't afford 3 dollar Windows 10 pro key on ebay.

we're not talking about the inferior Pro version

>imagine spending money on Win 10

I dont see how your reply is related to the posts you replied to?
are you implying the anons didn't buy Windows 10 LTSC from Microsoft for $274? Did you source this information from your ass?

lmfao you aren't kidding anyone buddy, oldfags saw this shit years ago with tinyxp.

So, I'm seeing here ebay.com/itm/223514372074
US$ 1.68
How is this possible? What's going on here?
I am not recommending this to anyone, the price is too low.
I also would like to know how a $3 price is possible.

I've been using one for a few years they are grey market licenses.

Basically someone gets a bunch of keys and then resells them.

>Basically someone gets a bunch of keys and then resells them.
From where? The auction links to even lower prices

literally buying someone's leftover
like a good beta cuck
use KMS_VL_ALL instead

I have no idea.
Its been a thing forever though and if you check comments nobody complains that the keys don't work so they are legit.

this isn't 1998 anymore, keys are no longer required to use software. we have KMS solutions which are open-source if you're paranoid about being exposed to malware. insisting on using ebay to acquire keys really shows you're knowledge is outdated. but go ahead, buy random stuff on ebay.

Maybe Microsoft pays bonuses to its janitors with Windows 10 Professional keys.

lol fuck off retard spending 3 dollars on ebay is better than fucking around with some activator.

keys can be used multiple times despite what they say. people sell the same keys multiple times. This is especially true for MAK keys.

It seems Office 2016 goes for as low as $5.
This seems slightly better than use the non permanent activator.

>I rather buy some maybe-working-for-some-time shady key from pajeets for an inferior windows version so I can get datamined than use an open source tool

lmfao

The keys work fine.
You can trust me I use Gentoo.

Attached: hurr.png (2560x1440, 622K)

keys can be revoked any time, and has happened to anons before with eBay keys.

Of course you can make some general broad statement like that.

But if you find some seller with like 9000 feedback with like 99.9% of it being positive, you don't have to worry about the key not working, because it will.

On the other hand, your janky ass activator is a pain in the ass to install and easy to break accidentally. That equals time spent fucking with it, it isn't worth it.

if you installed Gentoo, i'm quite certain you're capable of double-clicking a batch file. Are you even trying? just admit, your approach is outdated, but it's your money sir, spend it on random shit on ebay

you can't leave or change reviews anymore if/when keys stop working, so the positive rating means literally nothing.

on the other hand, how is running two batch files (or copying a folder into the install media) pain in the ass? I'd also like to see you accidentally breaking it. do you accidentally delete random files from system32?

based retards actually replying to the most braindead trip on this website

>5- Don't order more than 5 unlock code, if that happens Will be cancelled.
What difference does it make if 5 persons buy 5 keys, instead of just one buying five?