/avg/ & /ag/: audio video general & audiophile general

A thread dedicated to discussion of Hi-Fi listening, Home Theater, and AV equipment in general, be it amps, speakers, turntables, etc.

What's your setup?
What setup are you working toward?

Last Thread:

Attached: Reference Home Theater system.jpg (1920x1200, 162K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1376348-REG/genelec_7380ap_800w_15_smart_active.html
rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

Currently got Adam A77X but really want Hedd Type 20s. Can afford but can’t really justify it right now. Maybe when the misses and I have our own place and mortgage set up.

How do you anons like my CD player? It’s modified for no oversampling. Any other Philips TDA fans here?

Attached: 29C3B899-1CAC-4856-96CC-482D980337E1.jpg (1280x960, 318K)

Alright niggers got a challenge for you all: I need a fucking CD transport.
Yes a transport. Meaning with untampered digital out. Preferably with both coax and optical. The challenging part is this: I dont want to pay more than 100$ for a nearly obsolete machine that spins plastic and it must not look like garbage next to my glorious 1970's vintage silverway setup. I will consider used and DIY options. Any help is appreciated.

Just get anything with a Philips CDM0-4 mechanism and a digital output, or take the i2c straight off the DAC yourself. It’s just a couple pins.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a sub $100 amp that allows for two inputs to be played together. Either that or a small cheap mixer that is just for my laptop and phone/ radio.

I'm having vvarious problems with pllugging my phone directly in my laptop (yes I am using an external usb soundcard). so I just need a better solution.

Attached: 1528743968819.jpg (1698x1595, 674K)

I'm in the process of overhauling my theater room. Currently running a Sony DA5400ES AV receiver. Looking to rearrange and swap out some of the speakers this year.

Looking for recs on center channel speakers. Looking for something with big sound and good vocals for movie viewing. Might run them off my Sony or may run a dedicated amp. What center channel speakers are worth spending money on in the $300-$600 price range?

Voice Of The Theater as a center channel is probably the best idea. It also works as a TV stand.

Attached: 8106B7D2-784A-4D96-94FA-649EC8174EBF.jpg (600x800, 25K)

Sound advice. Still need to find a player that doesnt look like shit next to my setup though. I assume i2c is the signal transmitted thru coax ?

Yep. Don’t worry, Philips CDM’s came inside a ton of different players.

Yeah I know that CDs are standardized af. I am really looking for someone who could find me a model that doesnt look like garbage. Most players are usually very chap looking or even worse: black.
Some modern ones have silver faceplates but not going to spend 200 buck on a bog standard cd player.
I wouldnt mind something like because its really delightfully retro and borrows some of the design language used for the first cd players. And its silver.

how many watts does something like that need?

boomer thread

Attached: audiophile snake.jpg (1280x853, 188K)

What's the shit wrapped around the cables?

That is in fact the very first CD player ever made.

Depends on how loud you want it. The speaker will work with 15w class A and get loud enough to be painful though.

More classic Philips goodness, this time in the form of a B&O CD3300 which was made for them by Philips. After B&O moved production to Asia the quality suffered.

Unlike which has a Philips TDA1540 DAC, the original first DAC on a chip, the B&O has the successor chip the TDA1541.

Attached: 9266D75B-5F86-4418-8670-A13F471EADE0.jpg (1280x960, 244K)

And some spare B&O decks in my basement.

Attached: E6A37910-2049-46CD-B404-60A1F7B52C2D.jpg (1280x960, 287K)

And more classic CD goodness. The Fisher unit on top has a totally unique resistor to resistor DAC implemented completely with discrete circuitry, no DAC chips at all inside of it. It also has only analog filters too. Even though it wasn’t super expensive when new audio fans are only now just rediscovering the pleasure of totally discrete DACs with exclusively analog filtering.

All these players work great and I occasionally rotate them into my stack upstairs.

the literal embodiment of the placebo effect

Oops, forgot my pic.

Attached: A94CB3FC-7305-47F1-848E-45A31C1C1BCA.jpg (1280x960, 336K)

Do these older CD players have a better sound then a modern CD player or from a PC? "Better" in this case being a softer sound compared to modern edgy sound of CD players and PCs.

this is my poorfag setup until i finish university (so 1 more year). not sure what i'd replace it with.

Attached: IMG_20190825_012658270.jpg (4032x3024, 3.68M)

I don't own one but quality is definitely better on consumer units. I doubt they would beat modern autistic options like belt drive players.

They are sought out by audiophiles and studio people and so on for their better sound, yes. The audio stages were generally better than modern consumer stuff too.

>BW
>Technics AA
Kek I hope you have saved up some big bucks lad.
Honestly these amps are as good as modern 700$ amps. You need to get up to 1k to get shit as good. Modern cheap amps suck ass like you wouldnt believe. In fact the only reason Im replacing my unsightly pioneer combo is because I wan to get on that 70s vintage stuff before the prices go even more bonkers.
Keep the bw no need to upgrade for desktop.
these are just transports. they dont do sound output.
GOOD LORD THAT KYOCERA
Exactly the style I want. What model is that ?

>very first
Yes and no. For most people it is but if you were seriously loaded you could get the monstrosity in pic.

Attached: pics_v2.php.jpg (800x826, 173K)

well, I only spent £70 total. i'd probably be buying used again if i did upgrade.

DA-710cx

Why do projectors always look like shit in anything other than complete darkness? How can people stand watching a washed out mess?

Is Emotiva really babbys first audiphile amp? (ie still shit) I need a 3 channel amp so I'm looking at these currently

XPA 3 (3x300 watts / $1,260)
Monoprice 3x (3x200 watts / $1100)
Parasound A31 (3x250 watts / $3000)

I know I can get the A31 at a less-than-retail price

That thing has a shitty DAC though, Sony never really made any outstanding DACs, and eventually came out with a line of super high end CD players which had Philips TDA DACs.

So, I kinda want to hear first-hand what this tube sound is all about, and was kinda trying to figure out what would be best way to try it out. I'm not too sure about how to go with this, but I kinda figure something like Fanmusic MTS-623 would probably fit the bill - basically just use it to route line level signal from my DAC to my speaker amplifier. Another option would be something like xDuoo TA-05 which I could just plug my speakers and headphones in to give it a go. I'd rather not go too deep in this, since I'm mostly just curious how that would sound (and this would be purely frivolous endeavour), especially since I'm more or less happy with what I got already. Any user here who could offer me some insight into this?

Attached: catfacequestionmarks.jpg (1916x2048, 375K)

-Don't underestimate the ability to hear differences with a small change to non-acoustic factors. Can easily dominate over other factors.
-Linear distortions from high output impedance, transformer bandwidth limitations, etc.
-Nonlinear distortions, but I would consider this less likely. Unlike guitar amps, home use amps tend to be weakly nonlinear, broadly dominated by the first few harmonics.

bump

Attached: 1567107979812.jpg (2000x1500, 1.68M)

The only way is DIY for tubes.

I'm a simple man, just looking for some speakers for my desktop. Don't know whether to go powered or passive or what to get at all really.

Need something no bigger than the edifier r1280Ts. Or at least not much bigger. Don't mind having to get an amp either as long as it's small for desk use.

Max budget of $250-300NZD/$160-190USD.

Can't buy micca without high shipping costs which put it out of the picture.

Would use these mainly for movies and general pc stuff as I use headphones for music.

Just use a fucking a equaliser if you need to "soften sound"

Any good stereo amps? Or compact receivers that are under like 9x9x4"

I don't understand why so many receivers are as big as entire desktop computers even with class D amps

Bumping cos I really want this to become a regular thing.

Is that line array under the screen?
That is so retarded.

Just buy some modules from manufacturer of such modules and insert into enclosure of your liking.

Ok i'll make my question look nicer then.

>max budget.
Around $150-200USD Max for everything I'll need for this setup.

>Use:
Desktop using it for movies and general pc stuff, I use my HD58X for music.

>Size:
can't be bigger than 24cm X 18cm X 20cm. (Height X Width X Depth)

>powered or passive?
I don't mind as long as the total cost including the Amp is below the max budget. Although the often reccomended Micca RB42X are very expensive where i live at around $160-170USD. So maybe powered is better for me at this price point.

I don't need anything amazing since it is mainly for movies and general use, but i can tell when something sounds plain old awful as I do have fairly ok headphones.

I could go slightly wider and deeper but 24cm is kinda the max height for me due to my monitor being in the way.

Attached: frog_bump.jpg (600x480, 27K)

Get an amp like the Tubecube 7 or Gemtune APPJ PA1501A. You won't get the full harmonic distortion experience from a preamp. Then move on to real audio.

FUCKING CHRIST THESE SOUND GOOD

Attached: LSR305-large.jpg (566x750, 145K)

>I don't understand why so many receivers are as big as entire desktop computers even with class D amps
Audio connectors are normally large and bulky.

How much for a set of JBL Stage 120?

Seems like large AV receivers are the only thing that handle 5.1 decoding

Have you seen how small the connectors are on those big HT receivers? They're all in one corner. Definitely dont see the point of making them so big, they're like 15" wide and basically the size of mATX cases

Just bought this for something better than monitor speakers until I get around to buying an HDMI receiver

not really

whoops

Attached: file.png (970x600, 497K)

They could've easily decreased space required on a back panel if they simply used speakON instead of those horrible "4-way" terminals.
Another good option (even more compact) are just terminal blocks.

>butthole speakers
>sound good

Should have got the Klipsch promedia

What does "hi-fi" even mean? Serious replies only.

>Klipsch promedia
That costs >7x what I spent

High fidelity

don´t have a huge knowledge, but my dad wanna buy a Sony a9f or a a9g. Is there a huge difference between those two? if not I would suggest the af9 because it is cheaper.

So you got cheap shit that will sound like shit. Gotcha.

I was planning to buy a9g but rather decided for a9f because I like its unique design much more.
a9g looks to much ordinary.
display and processor is the same

so basically no difference in picture quality?

The goal isn't perfection. It's something better than my monitor's speakers, which won't be difficult at all to beat

nad m10

A cautionary tale: I killed my TV while mounting it on the wall today. I laid it down on bubble wrap but that wasn’t enough to keep it from getting damaged from shit on the table. Don’t be a fool, like me, and wrap your tools.

Attached: 180508E4-1DDE-4246-B523-0DF9B5805A14.jpg (4032x3024, 1.92M)

I listen to my JBL Loft 30. I have them stacked in a dipole config and the ports are stuffed.

Attached: sc-m50-denon-0.jpg (1600x1239, 907K)

Are you fucking Chinese? Different CD players sound different, partially because of DACs and partly due to the analog stages.

Anybody else have table radios? I have a few, my favorites are my GE Superadio II and my KLH model twenty one.

Attached: 3B83E8D5-907F-48FE-B7C7-2DDDE13A6DA6.jpg (612x452, 55K)

The JBL stage 120 is around $174USD including shipping to my country.

Maybe really crappy ones.

Although it's a little too tall and I don't quite have enough room to lie them sideways. :( They look really good though.

Planning on getting the Adam AX7's and the Sub10. Anyone have an experience with them?

Clearly you belong back on the James Randi forums with the other trannies and pedos, and not in a thread about audio.

just buy dynaudio bm6a and you don’t need a sub.
and don’t bother with class-d and dsp
this shit kill the music

I had a sub10 mkII for years, it's good
I don't like adam monitors though, I find the x-art tweeters annoying. you really want to try them out before you buy

or Meyer Sound HD-1

That sucks.

I'm looking for an multiroom audio system which:
- Connects via Bluetooth and distributes via Wi-Fi in any room.
- Is controllable by an hardware remote control.
- Can act as stereo.

The only ones I have found so far, are the Heos Speakers, which supposedly could relay Bluetooth and connect to Logitech Harmony.

Is there anything else?

Head over to /csg/ and see if you can find a replacement panel

DSP is great.

Link me a good 15" sub

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1376348-REG/genelec_7380ap_800w_15_smart_active.html

Interesting design given what it can do

rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html

I2S, not I2C.

DSP is great, but class D amps are only good for low frequencies like subs.

Looking for positional accuracy in tactical shooter games(currently playing a lot of R6 Siege). Right now I have my hd558 headphones plugged into the satellite on my Logitech z623 set, which is plugged into the back of my motherboard. Obviously it's not ideal, but I need several volume boosts to even hear anything. I might be a bit deaf idk.

Should I look for a PCI or USB amp, and possibly a headphonr upgrade?

>possibly a headphonr upgrade?
Funny you mention this, I've been looking for a new pair of cans too. Multiplat gamer, don't really care about price.

>an equalizer removes the horrible "fingernails scraping a chalkboard" like sound quality of cheap modern cheap digital components
Not really. Maybe running them through an older analog eq or preamp would help soften it some more due to the analog circuitry then the EQ itself. Running the sound through a modern digital EQ would make it sound worse. It would be even more grating on the ears.

Can't reasonably afford the Parasound Halo amp I want at the moment. So getting an old Pioneer SX 727 from my father fixed up. Got the rest of his old stereo equipment too including a Pioneer PL-A35 turn table, Pioneer SG-300 and Akai GX F60A equalizer. Going to miss the remote control capabilities of my TX-8020 but I don't think I'm absolutely not making the most out of my current speaker set up with it.

Attached: pioneer_sx-727_am-fm_stereo_receiver.jpg (1000x546, 113K)

>Can't reasonably afford the Parasound Halo amp I want at the moment

Attached: 1330845972082.gif (236x224, 1.89M)

More important to exercise my 2A rights.

Attached: sad initial d.jpg (480x360, 37K)

You faggots most likely don't even have the money to buy any of the shit you're shilling in this thread.

Is that your setup?

nigga you are sat in front of the stereo field kek

I got an HSU Sub and Sierra 1s.

Timestamp, gear, and or cash faggot.

Attached: 20190912_231245 - Copy.jpg (1134x2016, 463K)

Expensive garbage for rubes. No one using these cables has any electrical background.

>poor

Which speakers were those?