Is it true we're close to a state similar to 1984 in terms of surveillance?

Is it true we're close to a state similar to 1984 in terms of surveillance?

Attached: 008648e5fb9c184446e65fb7f0522427.jpg (900x1369, 138K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/E9ZKU
archive.is/6OAiy
archive.is/ySebH
volkstheater.at/stueck/1984/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Your xbox listens to you.

Have you read the book?
No, of course you haven't else you wouldn't ask this braindead question.

The book isn't even about a government using "surveillance" to spy on its citizen, but a totalitarian government that through mind controlling drugs and and ever present secret police seeks to eradicate all thought that goes contrary to it.
Good Lord, you shouldn't be allowed to talk about books you haven't even read.

Not OP but government control over the media is literally at ministry of truth tier. But this has been the case for centuries as history is always written by the winners, now our tech is about as good as it was in the book.

brainlet

Then what are telescreens?
Telescreens were actually better imo than what we have today because you always take your phone with you but in 1984 there were easily accessible areas in the rural sides that weren't monitored.
Even the ghetto parts of the city were much less monitored since telescreens had to be bought in those areas rather than given.

Are you sure?

close?
we actually surpassed 1984.

autistic incel

1984 happened 35 years ago. retard.

Even putting aside your obviously underage attempt at humor, OP was just asking if we're close to a state similar to 1984.

Underage morons like yourself really are stupid.

stop mining for public opinion data, glowey.

How does it feel to be retarded?

that's huxley you faggit

True, but where we wound up is more Huxley than Orwell. With a shot of Kafka for good measure.

Attached: consider the following.jpg (376x369, 36K)

Thing with 1984 is that "big brother" was for party members. The proles were allowed to be degenerates and drunkards and shit because they couldnt affect change. Winston Smith and people on the inside of the system and knew how it worked were the real threats and were placed under constant surveillance. You can put it in this context in that if you become a target through your actions then its an issue. If you want to run for office they want to have shit on you, if you become a whistleblower its the same. Thats what most of this shit is about. Now the threat levels and social trust scores and stuff are something completely different and are I think related to what equates to future prediction through darpa. Te total information awareness intiative was designed to give them virtual models of all individuals so that (im guessing because it doesn't state anywhere) that they can model events and gauge outcomes and such. Sort of like a virtual world they run beta test in.

>Te total information awareness intiative was designed to give them virtual models of all individuals so that (im guessing because it doesn't state anywhere) that they can model events and gauge outcomes and such
Also, they want to make sure that they have enough dirt on all of those normally-ignored proles so that, if one of them does happen to become a problem, they can easily and effectively eliminate him.

no. we never before had as much access to useful as nowadays. but not many people use it wisely. those who do, however, prove that we never had as much potential to be intellectually free.

useful information*

Attached: img.jpg (2000x1124, 187K)

Attached: 170212-weiss-trump-1984-tease_n49qhr.jpg (1566x880, 246K)

Perhaps more. 1984 had 1 telescreen. Some normies have multiple smart devices plus a cell phone bug always on them.

The difference is that in 1984 the government is doing it but IRL it's the corporations (who are in bed with the government) so it's OK since they're "providing a service" and "shareholder value".

Do the people who made these images not understand 1984? Did they not read the book?

>Is it true we're close to a state similar to 1984 in terms of surveillance?
I fucking hate this maymay so much. Braindead pseudo-intellectual socio-political edgy reddit commentary.

We're not even fucking close to anything like what's portrayed in 1984.

do phones have fingerprinting (((features)))?

whoa let it out during your 2min hate session mr cucker. public cursing is hatespeech

In terms of who's doing the surveillance and consequences to victims, no. It's more like we're using 1984 style surveillance tech to enable Huxley's Brave New World for now. Of course if you stray too far from the soma in the very near future the state will probably go 1984 on you.

archive.is/E9ZKU
archive.is/6OAiy
archive.is/ySebH

(Pick your poison. All articles are talking about the same thing)

>1984 wasn't meant to be an instruction manual
>1,622 upvotes
hmmm yes, thank you for le gold kind sir, i'm glad i could enlighten you with my poignant and totally original insight into how the world works

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy 8 using Google Chrome

No, 1984 had significantly less surveillance and didn't even bother monitoring the lower class people. They only had surveillance in their living room, no tracking devices you carry around 24/7.

not right now because there is not enough funding to implement the order over the population to prevent chaos. Tech, robots, will be able to. Its a matter of time.

I dont think there is some underground army being assembled like in fallout:new vegas, but I got no idea how its going to happen.

The noose is tightening. The companies are in the phase where they condition the public to become totally dependent on them. Many of those megacorps won't accept any method that is even pseudonymous, like gift cards, anymore. They'll let you attach the card to the account, but they'll close it and take your balance for "security purposes", and you'll never get what you paid for. They want to force your real info into the botnet for "analytics".

top kek
that's not 1984, that's "The Giver"

There are lots of discussions about if we live in Orwell's "1984" or Huxley's "Brave New World" but the fun part about living in the distopia we call Earth is that we live on both books at the same time, with a side dish of "Farenheit 451" and "Onions Green"

Onions, fuck, Onions

It's not as bad as the braindead cucklords who say "Huxley's Brave New World is more accurate!".

But it is. Sure there's still state coercion but look at the typical normie. They're more preoccupied with with consumerist bullshit than government spying or anything else of importance. In 1984 the spying was extremely overt; in Brave New World it's hardly mentioned, possibly because people don't care.

Now look at the "nuffin to hide" folks and tell me which group they better fit into?

You're no better.

How much difference is there between alexa and telescreen?

Alexa has no visual component that we know of. Other than that I can't think of any differences.

Alexa at least provides some pleasure/utility in exchange for spying whereas a telescreen is nothing more than an implied threat.

>But it is
Way to go, idiot.

No, the people who compare modern life to 1984 are mostly pseudo-intellectuals who were forced to read it in high school and obviously didn't understand or remember any of it.

Stalinism is dead, the modern world is far closer to the empty, complacent hedonistic shithole Huxley envisioned than any Warsaw Pact police state that labels and tortures you for so much as keeping a journal.

What is China

Not at all comparable since Mao went tits-up almost 50 years ago. The only state still existing today that somewhat fits an Orwellian label is North Korea.

Close?

Attached: be honest you had to look this up.jpg (532x720, 52K)

No, China is authoritarian as fuck. They just introduced social credit score.

Telescreens played a small part in the book. They probably didn't even fucking work.

The big thing in 1984 wasn't that the government was spying on people, the big thing was that they kept controlling the truth. Or what said.

Authoritarianism is not universally stalinistic/orwellian. China is an authoritarian state, but it is no longer stalinist, and has not been for a long time.

Yes except there is no fear of the government or overwhelming displays of power, instead the population are treated like the nigger cattle we are and subdued and exploited with shiny new products and technology/software we have minimal to no understanding of that we willfully carry around with us and beg to overpay for.

The government and private companies use dopamine as their weapon against the masses not fear.

so, a brave new world then?

Yeah like brave new world cyber punk consumer edition

I havn't read the book but about the drugs thing
didnt the cia experiment with lsd (ironically) and other drugs to brainwash people?

seems to be a running theme in antitrump between this and hitler the comparisons can get pretty far fetched. I usually apply hanlons razor to him personally

We are at the point where a few large corporations are going to take over the world and enslave the population for the rest of time. They dream about it every day.

are you sure?

Yes I am. I'm not a delusional retard who thinks they're clever for trotting out the same old tired witticisms.

>alexa spies on you so amazon can advertise shit to you
>telescreen spies on you so the government can monitor if you're towing the line, with failure to do so resulting in torture and death
it's totally the same thing guys, we're clearly living in 1984 :^)
I feel like fucking killing myself whenever someone mentions it.

>dat image
holy shit! I didn't realize freddy mercury was big brother

>I only know a dozen famous people
if you're over the age of 30, i'll kill myself on webcam

what? dude legit looks like freddy

Yeah, black hair and moustache = Freddie Mercury. You're a fucking spastic. I never said it did or didn't look like him. It's just so low effort and boring. What was the point of your post? The whole LE HOLY SHIT XD was pure cancer as well to make your fucking garbage post seem somewhat exciting.

Go fuck yourself.

red pilled post

>le angry man is angry

will smith looking good haha XD

Attached: denzel.jpg (220x293, 20K)

lame larp dude

I thought you would have appreciated it since you're such a fucking smooth-brained dumb cunt.

yeah I toats appreciate your racism

1984 was about what happens when russians put a orange puppet in the white house, but I'm sure a dumb poltard like you wouldn't understand it

About the second part:

You obviously haven't read the book, retard. I would argue we have already surpassed the contents of 1984.

>we have already surpassed the contents of 1984.

Attached: american child with down syndrome.jpg (634x475, 54K)

guy literally (and correctly) pointed out the drawing looks like freddy mercury. I know it's hard but remember that this is just a website, nothing really matters man. just chill

t. libertarian apologist retard

not at all

He's right, though. Governments don't even have to do much in the typical authoritarian sense, they just have to supply people like you with onions and access to social media.

Is Onions Green a book?

Attached: based.webm (1440x508, 1.75M)

In Austria I went to 1984 play. They actually remade it to incorporate Donald Trump. Was the funniest shit I ever saw.

Attached: 1558072463106.jpg (1024x576, 118K)

volkstheater.at/stueck/1984/ for all people who can speak german

>You obviously haven't read the book
Yes, I have.

>I would argue we have already surpassed the contents of 1984.
There is no secret police that will torture and drug everyone who shows even a tiny bit of dissent from government opinions.

>There is no secret police that will torture and drug everyone who shows even a tiny bit of dissent from government opinions.
>what is room 101

>room 101
Part of a fictional work.

>I would argue we have already surpassed the contents of 1984.
Then you should probably read it again

>There is no secret police that will torture and drug everyone who shows even a tiny bit of dissent from government opinions.
Yes there is. It's called social media.

cringe

>Yes there is. It's called social media.
Social media is opt-in.

>mind controlling drugs
It's more about control of language and therefore thought. No need for any police when the idea of dissent is impossible to formulate.

>secret police literally kidnap and brainwash you vs "waahh people on social media wont give me a thumbs up if I have a different opinion"
euthanize yourself, you're too weak

Not for long.

So it isn't 1984.

No, it's even worse.

In what way?

Did you respond to the wrong post or are you having some kind of stroke?
The Ministry of Truth controls language and therefore the ability to formulate thoughts. The Appendix at the end of the book is more important than the story.

the use of direct force will always be worse than the use of just social conditioning, please go live in a real authoritarian dictatorship you spoilt little shit

People rarely don't opt in and few are aware they are the product being farmed?

By people being brainwashed to function as a part of it instead of it just being fair and square totalitarianism.

Social media isn't an opt in for years already unless you live in Ethiopian caves

I've never needed it

The idea that perfected social conditioning making violent force unnecessary seemed more hideous to people just after WWII. It should still today, but we are too comfy and full of shit.

No, it's not, as using force is guaranteed to cause a rebellion sooner or later and crumbling the whole shit.