Clover os or qubes os

hey Jow Forums i'm not too experienced but i playing around raspberry pi 3 and i got a good feeling about getting into linux (at least i think so)

anyway i bought this thinkpad t43 with all parts included, which boots to bios. i want to use it for tor browsing but i'd like to use an os that is centered around privacy.

on privacytools they recommend qubes os but it sounds like it would take alot of ressources from a classic ibm thinkpad
back when 8ch was still a thing i came across a gnu/linux thread that recommended clover os. they said alot of positive things but not much mentionned about privacy.

maybe i should just install debian and customize from there but i dunno. what do?

Attached: clover_os_or_qubes_os.png (800x400, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nice choice of laptop

i would recommend openbsd, gentoo, or slackware

openbsd and slackware are easy. install mint if you want retard-proof os just to warm up

there are so many operating systems out there and the only difference i'm aware of is ease of installation, ease of use and stability.

what's the difference between these? do they come with good settings and packages?

Attached: 1277404574041.png (2248x3761, 807K)

Clover OS last I checked was a very outdated meme distro so I'd avoid if that hasn't changed.

What exactly do you want to do with your OS and what level of privacy do you need? Conversely how much shit do you want to put up with? For instance a distro like Tails is meant to exclusively run as a liveusb not installed, but it isn't easy to use for day to day stuff. Really most distros will probably be fine. Qubes is basically a low level hypervisor based virtual machine that can run different oses in containers , which can be a little hard to set up depending on what you want to do but it is a good platform .

Ultimately you'll be fine with most big Linux distros but tell us first what you want to do with it?

i mentionned in the op that i want to use tor browser. other things would be like standard software like image editing, music player and whatnot but nothing like gaming. i'm thinking of also using vpn, proxy etc.

i've tried out tails on my raspberry pi 3, i don't know if i did something wrong because it was running very slow. can the usb drive itself be the cause for the slow?

Attached: how2proxy.jpg (1000x1100, 356K)

All of the above really, Rpi3 is low power of course and the I/O itself is slow and split USB/sd with networking . Tails itself runs everything through TOR etc so that too can be slow in a different way.

You can use TOR browser on anything and for most use it's safe enough. Image editing ( gimp / krita etc) and media will be fine on everything. For VPN most DEs integrate support for OpenVPN and WireGuard is a good solution as well if your service supports it.

Overall any desktop friendly distro will be okay for you. Debian / Ubuntu based, Arch based etc. It's up to you if you want to go full freetard but you probably can on that laptop I think. Not sure however if you'll lose anything by doing so, as Trisquel and Parabola don't just strip binaries but also any licensed code they feel isn't FSF levels of free in their mind.

thanks for all the advice. didn't really understand the trisquel and parabola part though

also is privacytools.io trustworthy at all?

Attached: tor.jpg (906x1024, 1.22M)

your laptop is too old for qubes

qubes is great but eats your battery. Don't use on laptops.

trisquel and parabola are distributions which do not provide nonfree software
privacytools.io is fine but a bit basic, everything about privacy comes down to:
>don't be retarded
>use TOR
if you don't know what distro to install, install debian
qubes isn't worth it on such a machine

As another user said, those are both linux distros based on Ubuntu and Arch respectively, that clear out all "nonfree by FSF Stallman level freedom" standards. No repos by default that offer "nonfree software, they strip binary blobs and support for things like firmware and drivers (ie installers for Nvidia proprietary drivers etc) even down to the kernel level which can really affect how certain things run depending on your hardware.

Privacytools.io is a great site indeed. I find it even better and more frequently updated than prism-break.org which is something similar. Any questions about privacytools or anything else you wish to know?

CloverOS is literally just a meme
OpenBSD actively removes problematic features before they become a privacy issue. Nothing gets added until it's been audited. BSD is also notably more stable. OpenBSD package selection is fine for the most part. You're looking for something privacy focused, and I think this is exactly what you're looking for.
Slackware is the oldest GNU+Linux distribution out there. No systemd cancer, extremely simple package management, incredibly customizable.
Gentoo is a bit of a meme but also a genuinely good distro. Might be a little bit odd at first, But I'd recommend any of these three.
I wouldn't recommend mint at all, unless you're still not comfortable with anything above normie tier.

If you want super stable and inherently privacy focused, go with bsd. it's still(obviously) unixlike so aside from relearning a few conventions you probably won't have any issue.
>"Only two remote holes in the default install, in a heck of a long time! "

The one stallman-tier problem with OpenBSD as far as I can remember, is the inclusion of binary blobs, but not the sort one might refer to when talking about GNU+Linux.
Relevant Link: gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html
>Nonfree firmware programs used with Linux, the kernel, are called “blobs”, and that's how we use the term. In BSD parlance, the term “blob” means something else: a nonfree driver. OpenBSD and perhaps other BSD distributions (called “projects” by BSD developers) have the policy of not including those. That is the right policy, as regards drivers; but when the developers say these distributions “contain no blobs”, it causes a misunderstanding. They are not talking about firmware blobs.
Whether this is actually a problem is up to you.

openbsd is the only system for paranoids, by paranoids

slackware is old school linux, unix-like, sensible, sane

gentoo is build your own linux, compile everything

mainstream linux distors are pozzed with tons of proprietary software, systemd and otter poetterinware, ideologically they dont have much concern for privacy and such things, except maybe the ones that are endorsed by FSF

and like somone said if youre primarily worried about websites tracking you, use tor i guess, there is an os buildt specifically for tor

havent heard of it before but its a joke of a site if it says stock firefox is good for privacy

should i follow all the software recommendations from privacytools.io and/or prism-break.org or should i go searching around for the best of each kind of software?
by software i mean things like gimp or aimp and whatnot. (is aimp even on linux?)
very informative, also the reason why i mentionned clover os is because i recently checked out their website and it is updated very often, so i thought i'd mention it even though i don't even know if it's privacy focused

Attached: install_gentoo.jpg (2550x3300, 900K)

Most of this may be too much for what he's trying to do. Any BSD is a whole different animal, related to be not the same as Linux - its useful for specific things and less so as a desktop based system. If he wants to learn BSD thats great, he can muck around with them but its not part of the "linux" world exactly.

Slackware is old school and was one of the first "hardcore" distros pretty much without a package manager, building from source etc. I've not used it these days but when I did years ago I felt that it wasn't as...unique, since others - from Gentoo to Arch have come along. It really doesn't necessarily give you more privacy or whatnot today and there's probably something else as good and more functional unless you specficially want the challenge of "learning" Slack. Then again it may have been made more usable in the years since I've used it so..

Gentoo is COMPILAN TIME and is kind of a meme in and of itself. Portage system is good, installing from source and building everything just so can be a learning experience, but nobody needs to do a Level1 base install (absolutely compile everything on your system) or even a level 3 (ie most things pre compiled), where there are distros like Sabayon that are Gentoo based but take care of some of that in advance if you don't want the learning experience. Also, on an old relatively low power laptop like him Gentoo will take FUCKING FOREVER to compile things.

"Mainstream" distros are often up to what you specifically want to install. Some offer the availability of proprietary software (ie games via Steam ) but you don't HAVE to take it. Things like systemd or the particular autism of "full freetard" distros like I mentioned before may or may not be a big thing for you but they reaally don't impact privacy for the use cases you mention.

I'' get to your other question in th next post

tor is coming up a lot in this thread
is using just firefox with proper configuration fine to use tor over?
tor recommend using it, but they only compare it to chromium/blink browsers

>tor recommend using it
tor recommend only using the tor browser bundle

>Most of this may be too much for what he's trying to do. Any BSD is a whole different animal, related to be not the same as Linux - its useful for specific things and less so as a desktop based system. If he wants to learn BSD thats great, he can muck around with them but its not part of the "linux" world exactly.
That's nonsense, OpenBSD is targeting the desktop, and it's targeting his hardware as well. It's true that it's not linux though, it's better than linux, and all the things he says he needs works in OpenBSD too.

>"Mainstream" distros are often up to what you specifically want to install. Some offer the availability of proprietary software (ie games via Steam ) but you don't HAVE to take it. Things like systemd or the particular autism of "full freetard" distros like I mentioned before may or may not be a big thing for you but they reaally don't impact privacy for the use cases you mention.
All distros except for freetard FSF approved distors ship with proprietary blobs, linux is not free software, you have to use linux-libre if you want free software, no mainstream distor comes with linux libre. You're clueless, objective #1 when careing about privacy with your software is to use free software.

Stock Firefox is often better than stock anything else, but even "stock" firefox can be very easily config'd (with their guide) depending on how paranoid/autistic you want to be. They have a whole section on tweaks and addons you can use. Every build Firefox gets better (ie the canvasblock/fingerprinter blocking is native now) and it is by far the best browser around, especially vs anything based on Chrome/ium.

Firefox is better than others yes, and in theory you COULD use it, but its often nicer to have the separate pre-config Tor Browser (which is based on Firefox and kept up to date) to segregate your clearnet Firefox from Tor Browser which is configed specifically to avoid "leaking" anything if you use Tor.

Privacytools has good software recommendations and they cover many things nicely, but you can always double check to see what else is available. Note they focus mostly on privacy stuff of course so they're not going to talk about the various open source image manipulators (ie Gimp vs Krita vs whatever else) because thats kinda beyond the scope. Oh, as I recall AIMP (media player) is proprietary and windows only . You'll want a wide variety of other F/LOSS media players but there are tons of them so you're in luck.

if you're gonna use tor then use the tor browser and use it as they recommend to use it, otherwise your browser fingerprint will every easily identify you

firefox is pozzed with tons of ringing home to google and cloudflare and whatnot, its a libtard browser literally funded by soros and programmed by purple-haired trannies. it's basically a non-profit scam, they dont give a shit about putting out good software or privacy. it can be used as a browser but you should get some custom spin of it if you have to use it

well now i don't know what os to use now. i guess i could experiment around virtual box and get a feeling around what's best for me

also, i completely forgot to mention. what about whonix? from what i've been told at 8ch it's necessary for private browsing.

Attached: Tor Guide.jpg (1600x1900, 751K)

At this point is more of a philosophical debate.

OpenBSD is a totally different animal and is not in the same vein as Linux for a variety of reasons. Some of the things he learned to do don't function the same on BSDs. Sure it will "work" as desktop but there are limitations depending on what he wants to do and in any case its learning something new. There's not a lot of "real world" privacy to be added by using BSD over Linux and in some cases none at all.

Regarding FSF distros etc.. that's splitting hairs. I already went over things like binary blobs in the kernel etc... which may be necessary for certain function. These are NOT the biggest issues when it comes to privacy in reality - it would be nice to have a totally FLOSS system hardware,firmware, and software but that just isn't the bloody case unless you want to deal with antiquated and underpowered hardware at times. He'd probbaly be fine with a FSF freetard distro given his laptop, but since I don't have one I'd leave it up to him as I don't know what he'd be giving up (ie NIC or wireless drivers etc for awhile for some chipsets etc). In any case its not a major issue and all things including privacy are a matter of needs and degrees vs convenience, features etc..

You were doing well until you got an inflamed pol-yp REEEing about trannies and whatnot. The first line was accurate.

Whonix is basically another Tails-like, TOR-focused distro, but wrapped inside VMs. Its not a "general use" distro. Ideally things like Tails, Whonix and a few others (including Kali ) are specific to certain uses - its best to segregate them from your "normal" browsing and fucking aroound install.

What exactly does "privacy" mean to you? That's the most important thing. If you mean avoiding ads, not having Windows spying on you, wanting to support Free software when possible etc.. then you'll be fine with most distros - configure them as you like. Hell, get Firefox and configure it with uBlock Origin and a few other addons and you'lll be better off compared to most others. Ultimately, there's a law of diminishing returns where you put out a lot of time, effort, specialization etc... and unless you have a threat model (ie operating in a hostile country, whistleblowing, worried about a state level actor) it may not really be necessary. This doesn't mean it isn't worth learning for your own edification of course, but it may not be your best day to day usage OS.

>You were doing well until you got an inflamed pol-yp REEEing about trannies and whatnot. The first line was accurate.
go back to plebbit you fucking normalfag retard. this has nothing to do with Jow Forums or opinions, it's facts that you can't handle because youre a dumb fucking normalfag

>OpenBSD is a totally different animal and is not in the same vein as Linux for a variety of reasons. Some of the things he learned to do don't function the same on BSDs. Sure it will "work" as desktop but there are limitations depending on what he wants to do and in any case its learning something new. There's not a lot of "real world" privacy to be added by using BSD over Linux and in some cases none at all.
stupid opinions. you probably haven't even read their mission statement or all the things they've been right about. fuck off back to plebbit with your dumb normalfag fucking recommendations. ANY BINARY CODE RUNNING IN THE KERNEL IS A PRIVACY ISSUE FUCKING RETARD

i didn't want to talk about this but i might as well tell you to be more clear. i frequently went on 8 chan, but not because i'm an alt-right guy or whatever. i went there because of the great discussions i had with some people on their /b/ which you can't have on 4 chan's /b/.

unfortunately due to some mass murderers that posted their manifestos on 8 chan, cloudflare pulled the plug on the site. it was moved on mitmigate but the whole thing went down.

now the 8ch refugees are going to a bootleg version of 8 chan on the dark web or whatever. thing is, nobody knows who is behind this, and the site is peer to peer or something. apparently you could unwillingly download CP.

i really want to go back to meeting interesting people that don't go into autistic rages the moment you mention an opinion that differs from theirs, but at the same time i dont want the police barging down my door.

tl;dr i want do go in the dark web and avoid accidentally downloading cp

Jimmies are rustled. Your whinging about soros and whatnot makes it pretty evident not to trust your opinion especially on Firefox.

Your erection for OpenBSD is noted, but that is not what he asked about. Its like someone comes and talks about making a pie and recipe for different types of pie, and then you come in saying NO MAKE A SOUFFLE ITS BETTER - some things are similar to making a pie, others are not, but they're separate. If he wants to learn BSD I encourage him to do so, but its not as viable as a desktop OS for a wide range of features.

Now you just sound like the paranoid type. You clearly don't realize that lots of major FLOSS projects even things like Debian, Redhat/Fedora, Arch, Gentoo etc... all take an open stance on binary blobs or other FLOSS software that is not a FSF preferred license (ie MIT, MPL and others) because there's a spectrum. well known blobs for certain firmware or whatever, to enable to the use of modern hardware (especially laptops) is a compromise that doesn't just void everything. Would it be nice if everything top to bottom was open? Sure, but that would mean having to give up a fuckload. I'd just reiterate what I wrote before but yeah.. diminishing returns, spectrum, requirements etc...

i'd like to post a link of an article explaining in detail the situation but it's considered spam. you can try to search "8 chan is down" and it should give you results

you dumb fucking niggers, you don't deserve this site

>Now you just sound like the paranoid type. You clearly don't realize that lots of major FLOSS projects even things like Debian, Redhat/Fedora, Arch, Gentoo etc... all take an open stance on binary blobs or other FLOSS software that is not a FSF preferred license (ie MIT, MPL and others) because there's a spectrum. well known blobs for certain firmware or whatever, to enable to the use of modern hardware (especially laptops) is a compromise that doesn't just void everything. Would it be nice if everything top to bottom was open? Sure, but that would mean having to give up a fuckload. I'd just reiterate what I wrote before but yeah.. diminishing returns, spectrum, requirements etc...
literally retarded but i wont point out how because the fool hates to be corrected

Okay, its okay. Hey, there was lots of potentially good discussion there. I know what happened to infinity and I disgree with what happened to them so far. I would be wary of the darkweb for the reasons you mentioned, but that doesn't mean its not a good place to go.

If you're not running a Tor Exit Node (you're not) you'll have almost nothing to worry about really browsing most sites even on the darkweb, even if you did run into cp or whatnot. This is DEFINITELY a time you want to use the Tor Browser Bundle at very least and segregate it from your clearnet browsing. If you really want to be extra careful, Tails or Whonix can be used just for when you want to go to those sites - I know Tails can be set up with some perpetual storage at least. However I don't think thats necessary.

Be careful though as you don't know whos running a bootleg infinity as you said - there are several of them and even more darknet imageboards who predate them.

i'll try out openbsd thanks

Also, keep in mind the original site will be coming up again soon. But really if that's your primary concern, don't be too worried. Use good darknet hygiene so to speak and you'll be fine. Just keep off anything dedicated entirely to the kind of stuff that brings heat like if they have boards that are nothing but cp, weapons/human trafficking etc... but aside from that, you'll be okay.

are there some settings that are to be tweaked when using a fresh tor install? or is it good to be used stock
i have a feeling that if the original site does come back it's going to be worse than before. it got bad with the whole /b2/ thing (literally /b/ 2.0) which had no spam rules so it basically became Jow Forums's /b/. i don't know what to do anymore but to search for someplace where i'll feel at home

Attached: 322764_222764167809230_100002269444333_501583_63425145_o.jpg (682x2048, 292K)

Clover is just Gentoo. If you want privacy, go for heads os. It's tails without systemd basically, and all traffic routed through tor. It's pretty cool.

Qubes is WAY too heavy for a T43. Hell, CloverOS probably is too. OpenBSD is probably the best bet if you care about security.

Can it be used bare metal and not USB?

I dunno, never tried. It is intended to be used live though, and their site says so as well.

Can Qubes even run on that? It's been a while since I checked what hardware it supported but iirc it was pretty strict.

Absolutely not. The earliest thing the Qubes team is confident about working is a riced out T430.

>t43
Haiku, WinXP, or FreeDOS.

Unless you meant T430?

People use qubes on x200’s just fine

whonix