Just found out americans don't even have contactless payment yet

Just found out americans don't even have contactless payment yet

The fuck?

Even in my 3rd world shithole 95% of stores do contactless

Why can't the "greatest country on earth" keep up with technology that became the norm in most other countries 5 years ago?

Attached: 33283_Contactless-payment-1.jpg (620x460, 46K)

I just want to go back to swipe

we probably invented that technology.

What the fuck are you talking about?
I've had contactless pay for years. Way before that stupid chip insertion was normalized here in the states.

why can't you third world inbreds invent something useful for a change?

Attached: inventor.png (1455x281, 38K)

Is this another OBSESSED Europoor thread?

Wow I can give Mr noseberg my money in 1s rather than 10s, what a privilege OP!

We had contactless before we had chip and pin.

Sure, some small businesses are still cash only, or use much older credit card machines. But meh. Most places have contactless support these days.

>invents all the stuff
>just lets others use it instead

I just went on a trip to America and basically everywhere I went they took my card to swipe it instead of using tap or chip. Felt like I was back in time

we have it. very few like it

That's cause the people don't give a fuck.

The machine we have at work lets use swipe, tap, or use the chip. So most morons just swipe every card instead of looking for the tap support logo, or bothering to insert the chip.

To be fair, I don't really trust that contactless stuff either, probably will disable it when I get my new card with it.
>take this RDIF card, it's totally safe and you wont get skimmed
>also you need this special foilhat wallet that protects against skimming
Yeah, no.

I almost every major retail store you have to use pin + chip or have the option to tap to pay. Most of the time when my card is swiped for me it was at some kind of eating establishment.

In my experience when I checkout at most card terminals now, if you try to swipe your card and the card terminal detects your card has a chip, it will force you to pay by chip. Doesn't even let you checkout by swipe anymore.

Europoor here. Fuck fake money. The Americans still have cash and will still be using cash when all other countries have fallen into the cashless tyranny.
We on the other hand can be stolen all our money at the flip of a bit.

I work at a Starbucks in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky and my town has it, the fuck are you on about op?

>In my experience when I checkout at most card terminals now, if you try to swipe your card and the card terminal detects your card has a chip, it will force you to pay by chip. Doesn't even let you checkout by swipe anymore.
depends on the system, I've used both.

I use Google pay all the time instead, have to unlock phone to use it or double tap my watch button to activate it so you can't get skimmed, might get hacked but who hasn't used a card online nowadays so it's not really any different

>we
You didn't do shit, Jimmy.

Your money is more likely to be stolen when it's in cash. And if the whole fiat scheme drops, your cash is just worthless paper instead of worthless bytes.

There is no such thing as nfc skimming, if they have an authorized terminal, they could make you pay either up to a certain amount and/or a a certain number of times before you would be forced to authorize with a pin. The hassle of getting an authorized terminal only to have it blacklisted within a day because of suspicious activity doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

The only reason to have contactless is so you can use it with a secure tokenized payment system like apple pay. Contactless plastic cards are retarded and even more of a security risk than normal cards because someone can just run a transaction by waving a reader near your card.

I'll tell you more. Burgers don't even have 3-D Secure, i. e., secure card payments over internet.

>Your money is more likely to be stolen when it's in cash
No. Fake money is not even money, because money has a property called FUNGIBILITY
>what is fungibility
Is what makes the coins and papers you hoard at home equal to anyone else's. So my coins are the same as your coins, and nobody is going to reject my coin because it is just a coin.

With fake money your account is linked to your identity, and tomorrow the government, or Facebook, or Google or whoever decides you are not narrative-compliant, can ban your account and end yourself.

Attached: 1537234132677.jpg (125x104, 3K)

European here:

>Try contactless
>Works 3 times
>4th time it says "PIN required"
>Insert card into chip reader
>Wait 30 seconds.
>ERROR! REMOVE CARD!!!
>Cashier has to press different button to active PIN
>Takes her 2 minutes to figure that out
>Finally lets me insert card and PIN.

Total meme and waste of time just use Chip & PIN all the time it is much faster on average.

>giving Google even more of your data
The absolute state of Jow Forums.

Attached: annoyed dissappointed renge.jpg (600x400, 48K)

You are just supposed to enter your pin when that happens, not put in the chip.

That would make more sense, but it doesn't allow me to do that either.

We do on newer cards. Just some people don't feel like switching theirs out. Doesn't always seem to work though I think.

>use NFC
>works 50% of the time at places that bother supporting it

>use chip
>half the time the card reader is too small for the card, having just been adapted to accept chips

>use swipe
>card becomes unreadable after normal use over a few years

I like the convenience of cards and NFC, but fuck me. I've had this experience in America and in Europe.

my name is Jose actually

works on my machine

this guy gets it. physical currency isn't tied to an identity, politics, or proprietary network. physical currency is decentralized and depersonalized. your value is just as good as another's equivalent value, and the value of your labor is not nullified because of your identity. this is the advantage of decentralized crypto, of physical currency, and of physical commodities.

Physical bills get tracked by their serial number.
If you take money out of an ATM and spend it in a shop the shopkeeper will take your bill straight to a bank where it gets scanned so the government knows you made a purchase at his shop.

If you don't want to get tracked you have to use coins only, no bills.

>someone carries a card reader on them
>just has to be near or walk right next to your wallet
>reads your card and steal your money
Wow Jow Forumsee I wonder why

lmao that's so wrong it's funny.

That's what's happened every time I've seen that happen.

Attached: works on my machine.jpg (630x630, 41K)

i've been using google pay ever since 2010 and i live in fucking missouri. try harder

i think its disabled by request though. literally every vendor has a tap to pay compatible card reader and my card has the tap to pay logo but it never works. i think its because boomers are scared that hackers will steal their card while its in their pocket so the cashless operators have just decided to disable it for PR purposes since they still to this day freak out about chip cards

actually i think it might have to do with the cashless systems being implemented by retards and a lot of the time there's a separate button for 'credit card' and another one for 'use the nfc thingy' and if you pull out a card the cashier is going to press the credit card button

It is possible to track by serial number, and they do when they have a reason, but the main concern is a situation like being banned by stripe or chase locking an account used for a political cause. Cash is also much easier to change around if you're actually concerned about being tracked by serial number.

This desu. The only time you'll really get the option is if the cashier is a trainee. Efficient cashiers hit the button ASAP if they see a card, especially if there is a line.

>and nobody is going to reject my coin because it is just a coin
I mean, your grocery store won't, so you probably won't starve, this is true.

Was same button when I did it. Only difference was debit and credit and even that was like whatever most of the time.

jesus,, i am 21 and they got rid of the swiping system long before i were old enough to have a personal bank account.

Where the fuck did you go? I live in US and everywhere uses the chip

Why fix what’s not broken? It works almost all the time as opposed to chip being bent or touch not working. By this factor, swiping is the most efficient method.

>they do when they have a reason

Every single bank note has its serial number scanned every single time it's deposited at a bank.
This is how they make sure it's not counterfeit.

Fuck off with your shitty bait you waste of skin and digits.

Must have been a rural location, seems like everywhere around me has a reader than can take all 3 types, though the gas station tap payments don't seem to be on or something.

No authentication.

each point of sale system will have a different implementation of a cashless system and even though the cashless system is technically a universal protocol the implementation of it is up to who designed the register and almost every single establishment has their own register software designed by cheap indians

see

I only pay with cash. My card is exclusively for withdrawing from ATMs. Fuck tracking and fuck niggers.

Luterally every currency, good, commodity can be devalued with the right leverage. Your gold coins are worthless and so are your homes. The only thing that can't be taken away is skills.

Is it not strange to always withdraw?

while the half second of inconvenience is pretty annoying it was designed to circumvent skimmers which are not exactly complex or difficult to build or implement and basically completely destroy whatever security magnetic strips had in the pre-digital era

its literally your credit card number imprinted on a magnetic tape, you can take a picture of a card behind a piece of magnetic film and reconstruct their payment information. its not secure at all

To get shit tier countries known as 3rd world addicted to contactless first. The ELITE know you'll be their prime choice for RFID chips in your hands. Because you're cucks plain and simple in the end.

From what I've seen of the readers it turns on all 3 scanners so you can use any of them.
I live in Las Vegas so maybe we just have the most up to date stuff for all the tourists anyways.

It's interesting that skimming never became such a huge problem in America as it was in Europe.

I think it's because skimming is technologically difficult, and only some Romanian gangs knew how to improve the technique every time countermeasures were put in place.
Having open boarders probably also helped the skimmers a lot, as they would use copied cards in different EU countries from the card owner to slow down detection.

/thread

That's not true, here in Texas like 75% of businesses support them. Notable exceptions are convinience stores which force thir own proprietary contactless apps on you to data mine you.

Payment cards don't use dumb RFID.
That would be incredibly insecure because anyone can easily copy an RFID signal.

Instead the chips on payment cards are miniature computers that can do private/public key authentication.
These far more advanced chips were invented by NXP in the Netherlands.

Americans never believed such technology would be possible, so they thought smartphones or other mobile computing devices would be necessary for contactless payments.
In fact many Americans still don't believe this is how payment chips work, the technology is just too advanced for their brains to comprehend.

europeans are a lot more reliant on ATMs and currency exchanging than americans are. and american organized crime is less involved in the public operation of financial systems (or, we put on a much bigger show about preventing it). plus there aren't a lot of atms here compared to over there, and the ones that are, are on private property and not a public street corner. we go to a bank or gas station to go to an atm. lol.

there was also the mindset that people don't trust a machine to handle their credit card, which means that a lot of stuff in america is more personal service oriented, but that mindset is almost entirely gone now

They didn't just skim ATM's.
They would also break into shops and replace the PIN devices with 100% identical looking devices that contained skimming hardware on the inside.

This is basically when we realized we weren't going to win this battle.

Chip is the worst thing mankind has ever invented.
>use your card too much
>chip wears down
>eventually no longer reads
>have to get a new fucking card all the time contributing to uneccessary plastic waste
Contactless should be the norm, but OP is right, we Americans are slow to everything. Considering our immense wealth we should be the premier country leading tech like Korea or Japan but here we are still using fucking chips and swipes.

Wait, Americans actually still carry a wallet?! Just carry your phone, you luddites.

Amerilards BTFO!

What country are you from, buddy?

UK. I've not used cash for over a year.

I would use contactless payment with my phone more, IF they didn't charge more for using it. At the gas station near me, a 32 oz drink is 1.05 with tax, when using cash. If I use my phone to pay, the exact same fucking thing costs 1.12. Fucking stupid.

we do
like, no one uses it, but we have it, all the terminals support it (and have for like nearly ten years), and I got a bank card that supports it

Wait, wait. wait. You get CHARGED for using contactless?!
My sides

Attached: zzz.png (244x207, 8K)

What? We have tap in the states you idiot.

According to researchers we will be cashless here in Sweden within 3 to 5 years.

you guys are literally a dystopia research testing country.

You mean utopia?

Because it IS broken. It's much easier to copy the magnetic strip compared to the chip (including the chip that does contactless)

>Just found out Europeans inject dinosaur fossil fragments into their eyelids in order to facilitate time travel
see I can make up bullshit too

reading comprehension, try it again

burgers still use magstripe

cash or gtfo

th time it says "PIN required"
That's security feature. Contactless will sometimes ask you for PIN to verify the user.

Yea, you get charged more for using your phone instead of cash. That's a 7cent charge.

Maybe you weren't clear enough?

No.

Contactless payment is pretty popular in the U.S thru mobile phones apple pay or whatever kind of e-wallet poor people use who can afford iPhone

yeah, finally your bank can fully control where you spend all your money instead of paying for your wife and ahmed's child alimony

really? they dont have it? wtf

i fucking love tap payment. It makes everything so much faster. That and apple/google pay means I don't even need to bring my wallet anywhere.

Is it widely adopted in USA? Literally every shop and pub in UK will accept it. The only time when you need cash is street food vendors.

We do, it's just the most stores turn it off or it's broken for some reason. One cashier told me that they don't want to bother fixing it because it's not important enough.
Also every single store/restaraunt I've been to here in Jersey has had chip & pin the standard and I very rarely have to swipe, if at all. Those old mom and pop shops still use those old registers where you swipe next to the monitor.

>The only thing that can't be taken away is skills.
this board is usually embarrassingly retarded but this is a good point

In UK there are bars and restaurants which are completely cash free. Their till/register is often an iPad with a wireless little white PayPal terminal with contactless. It's so easy and fast.

The US is much larger geographically and population wise than most countries. It's very easy to roll out a new payment system in a country with 20M people and you can drive from end to end in a day. It's very hard to do that in a country with 360M people where it would take weeks to deliver the systems to everywhere.

>mentioning PINs
Stop using debit cards, credit cards are superior in every way.

A lot of people invest their time and money in skills that can become absolutely useless to them

>The only time when you need cash is street food vendors
I've seen food trucks with payment terminals, they only cost

Attached: 1540344328218.jpg (1500x1500, 89K)

It's okay that everything you do is tracked, because the government is your friend.
Now hand over your silverware, we have reason to believe that you are a violent person who may commit crimes in the future.

This is the stupidest thing I've read all day.

>the only places that do that here are Chinese and it's obviously because they want to fudge income for tax purposes.
I hate this. There are two chinese takeout places near me, one takes a card the other is full on cash only. The one that takes a card has horrible food, the one that's cash only has great food. Fucking frustrating.

contactless is pure soiboi. Chip + pin is the only good payment methode

Actual Chinese people are Jews, they may have good food but their practices are shit.
They underpay all their staff and avoid tax whenever possible, everything is cash in hand so they can hire international students for long hours without it being detectable, while underpaying them since staff can't report is as they're working illegally. That's why I don't support Chinese owned places that are obviously illicit, fuck them.

My local takeout place has like 3 people inside it max, I'm pretty sure they're all related and not paying anyone anything. In my experience its usually the man of the household driving around delivering orders, while the women are in the store cooking. If they have a younger one in there with a better grasp of English they usually have her be the one to answer calls/run the register.