Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what software does one use to type code in?

I’m a complete beginner. I know nothing about programming but I often see photos of code on laptop screens. My question is, that black screen where all the code is typed into, how do you access that! Please don’t laugh. I am changing careers and all jobs in my area are for coding only. I am beginning my journey into this world.

Attached: help.png (223x61, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_editor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Mod + enter

Vim

a keyboard

I wish we had a general for stupid questions. we should call it the stupid questions thread or the /sqt/

open notepad and then draw over the open window(important) with black sharpie

you don't need any software. just get some graph paper and write one letter in each box then you fax it to google so they can make it into a program and they will email it to you

I like Atom with the Vim keybindings plugin.
Get on YouTube. Watch Mike Dane's Intro to Python. Start there.
I'm assuming you dont' use Linux if you can't even name a text editor. Swap to Linux. Programming is an unnecessary hassle in Windows.

Vim or Emacs usually.

terminal text editors are usually the most "leet"

Attached: lolxdsuchanerd.png (1045x596, 298K)

emacs

I
Don't
Even

have a clue what you mean, user. Just use a text editor like every one else.

I think what you mean is a text editor/IDE:
What type of editor you need, might depend on what language you are trying to program in.
Most of the time, just use the programming environment the tutorial you are trying to learn from is using.You can change your preferences, once you are competent enough. You are asking the wrong questions. vim and emacs will just slow you down at this stage.
> vscode/sublime if you don't want to listen to me.

notepad.exe

>posting on Jow Forums with pic from reddit

>asking how to get "black screen with code"

>clearly hasn't done tutorial or most basic research

Why is everyone responding to an obvious troll

Attached: trollline.jpg (512x512, 27K)

> I mean he could very well be 12 and be retarded. I am always amazed how young some of these anons are lol. Who do you think has the most time to fuck around on the internet. Also could be anons that don't speak english natively.

Who are you quoting?

>I’m a complete beginner. I know nothing about programming
Start here -> mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

>what software does one use to type code in?
Anything that can edit files. You can even redirect the echo to a file. That's enough. Anything that can edit files.
Usually you use something less shitty than that, like a text editor. You've probably used Notepad before? Notepad is an example of a text editor.

Moron that here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_editor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war

Y'also get people writing their code in IDEs but they can go fuck themselves.

>the
*an
Fuck me.

>Y'also get people writing their code in IDEs but they can go fuck themselves.
What programs are you creating?

Buggy spaghetti code in C.

Was being a retard, saw it after the fact.