How the hell is this the most popular distro

how the hell is this the most popular distro

Attached: Ubuntu_19.04_"Disco_Dingo".png (1366x768, 930K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

LTS is for virgins

just works

You don't need to modify a multitude of configuration files or compile it from source to use, which makes it more accessible.

no, linux mint "just works". ubuntu is a bloaty mess

It works without fuss and doesn't subscribe to some autist's lack of sensibilities

I thought mint passed it a couple years ago

It can't be that bad.

Attached: 55df6525-terry-davis-gods-lonely-programmer.png (850x480, 454K)

less is more

>ubuntu is a bloaty mess
doesn't matter as the intended audience probably uses a PC made in the last 5 years

because they're the only ones that set out to be a popular distro widely used by normies, the rest didn't care

>muh same thing different DE is totally different than the first thing, which sux
The City of (You)

Notable Ubuntu Users:
Terry Davis
????

It used to be the "just werks" distro until GNOME went to shit with GNOME 3 and Canonical decided to make Unity and other projects only to kill them years later. Now it's popular because it's Debian but easier (although not better) and because a lot of other distros depend on it.

every dev at the company i work at either uses a mac, or dual boots between windows and ubuntu (or an ubuntu flavor). every single one. everyone in the IT / tech support department either exclusively uses lignux (and it's almost always ubuntu or a flavor), or dual boots windows and ubuntu.

this is not some shit sjw-laden multiculti startup either. there's not a single negro in the mix. everyone is either white or east asian (with a handful of italians, and one jew).

ubuntu and its variants are far and away the most popular distros because of great hardware support OOTB (relatively), and great support from the community. it's that simple.

bc its easy to use... not that complicated.

Why are you a retard who thinks he'll be cool by posting the first picture result from a Google image search?

as said, it just works, most people don't want to be configuring shit in Linux for hours

accessibility and ease of use, appeals to normalfags who choose to use linux
popularity has never had any consistency of being an indicator of quality

>UBUNTU FORCES GNOME ON EVERYONE THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO CHANGE YOUR DESKTOP ON UBUNTU OH MY GOD IMPOSSIBLE UBUNTU IS LIKE WINDOWS YOU KNOW
This is what every Ubuntu hater actually believes.

Because it sorta, kinda works.
Watched it eat it's FS in real time a few months back, so I switched to WSL.

>popularity has never had any consistency of being an indicator of quality
How would you even define quality in a Linux distro?

its the default distro...what do you expect people to think?

They should bring back the comfy brown theme, or is that even possible in gnome anymore?

That you have choice for everything in GNU?

Ubuntu is perfectly usable... after you install a non-shitty environment. Fuck Gnome3.

>or is that even possible in gnome anymore?
Who knows, they keep trying to remove ways to customize their shit.

How the fuck is systemD the default init?

They ripped off Apple and Microsoft the most basically

systemd has been catching on for quite some time, no?

Because there's nothing better for a desktop. systemd on their base system/server system is stupid, though.

depends on it's focus
gentoo for example is perfect for what it is but that doesn't mean it's the only distro anyone should use

>ubuntu and its variants...
that's too many distros, user

jus werks

The company that owns basically used a massive swarm of bots to spam Linux forums claiming that it is the most user/noob friendly distro, so most people chose it without a second glance at the others. Also Google used (still uses) a slightly modified version of Ubuntu, at least in ~2014 when I heard about it; some people just copy whatever Google devs do because they think it will make them more successful in their computer science undergrad program.

I haven't messed with it for a while but last time I checked (year ago?) the GTK themes were pretty customizable and there are plenty you can download, some more popular ones are often in repos. So theoretically yeah I think you could have or create that theme?

Well what if the fabled new user happens upon your computer? Wouldn’t want to startle them with something that’s not absolutely identical to every other computer... plus you know changing anything on your own computer is maliciously hurting their branding. Won’t you please think of the poor gnome devs??

Also way back they sent out free CDs that’s the only reason I ever used it, but that was back in the early 2000s.

People don't know about manjaro

To be fair I think it is a good first distro to try if you just want to get a handle on things like the directory structure, terminal, common programs. And this is only because, like others have said, it just works. That said, so many other distros are probably equally good choices

>is that even possible in gnome anymore?
Pic related is their current theme. They're changing it to resemble more to Adawaita because GNOME devs keep breaking themes with each new update.

Attached: 1548832272993.jpg (1200x688, 113K)

are you retarded or are you just pretending?
>systemd on their base system/server system is stupid, though.
>Because there's nothing better for a desktop.
god dammit, you're stupid.
desktop users don't even touch the init.
servers use full advantage of systemd.
this board is full of stupid faggots

You know mint is the same thing with even more garbage piled on top right

Good luck removing those two icons without installing an extra workaround. What did the ubuntuns mean by that? Icon plight.

It's one distro with many themes.

>Not using Fedora

Ubuntu used to be really good back in the day.

>unemployed casual racist larp

The dock extension breaks workspaces positioning

A true and wild OS, not "gambiarra" at all

Attached: 1568439959957.jpg (781x1024, 384K)

because debian is hard to install back then so people who want to try debian just choose ubuntu

The only correct answer here

You don't need to touch systemd for it to be useful for you. In fact, systemd can make sure desktop users have to touch their init less. As a random example, systemd has a bunch of dynamic targets that only activate when specific hardware is present. This means the distro maintainers can make services like BlueZ depend on bluetooth.target, removing the need for end users to manually enable bluetooth functionality or disable it on systems that don't have a bluetooth adapter.

CentOS is far more stable, with better docs

how do you get gnome to read the xmodmap config?

anyone who supports mint over ubuntu is a legit try hard retard

just works
Debian's greatness, stability and shitloads of packages
plus drivers preintstalled
plus shitloads of packages in PPAs

Attached: buntu.png (485x324, 208K)

by supplying people with what they want: simple, easy-to-use system based on linux and doesn't pander to petty idiots that suffer from the dunning-kruger effect.

Ubuntu is ez mode thats why. Even if you do a net install its still super ez, it could be much better by
>every de not having a fucking auto updater jesus christ
>having other DEs actually work out of the box with as easy of a time as gnome
> not installing so much bloat on top of the DEs bloat
Basically fuck desktop environments

>or a flavor
They're all still just Ubuntu. Just say Ubuntu. Slapping a different DE on Ubuntu does not fundamentally change it.

What sort of two-bit IT guy doesn't take pleasure in the computer equivalent of shoving broadswords up his own ass? Really, fucking Ubuntu, let alone OS X?

What the fuck are you degenerates not doing on void already.

OS 10 is actual Unix and has professional support. Linux is nothing more than a hobbyist project.

Ubuntu is an amazon botnet tho
Kubuntu and others are different in that respect

"Kubuntu" is just Ubuntu with KDE.

>KDE
but its not an amazon botnet

It can be if you install that package.

yeah but back when i was a virgin to linux i just installed ubuntu vanilla and got amazon ads and telemetary shit.

i install kubuntu and at least i know my data isnt going to jeff bezos.

I don't see how that is relevant.

If you don't see why not encouraging OS developers to mine your data and engage in propriatary software practices (aka Apple and Windblows) and sell it then why switch to Linux in the first place? Are you a ramlet?

Amazon is funding vanilla uBuntu as a way to break into the OS market. Eventually they fuck people up the ass

I don't care if someone wants to mine data as long as I'm not forced into it. I use GNU because it is often the best tool for the job, not based on philosophy.

>open source hobbyist software is better than stuff people are litterally paid to work on

get out

Attached: ashton-kutcher-steve-jobs-409993[1].jpg (590x350, 22K)

What about open source software that people are paid to work on? Such as macOS and Android.

the topic is ubuntu

You're the one who went off topic.

because your argument that you install linux for "the best tools for the job" is bunk
we install linux because we fundementally disagree with Windows/Apple business practices.
Why do you think Linux has shot up since the Snowden revelations and the advent of privacy as a political issue.

>we install linux because we fundementally disagree with Windows/Apple business practices.
No, that is fucking stupid. If that were the case, then what of Android Linux? You have your ideology, but it is not shared by the actual Linux community, just the FSM.

Part of Android's success is that it avoids Apple and Windows business practices you cuck.

That doesn't mean Apple and Windows have a head start on Office, etc.

>Part of Android's success is that it avoids Apple and Windows business practices you cuck.
It uses the same business practices as Apple. It sells user data. It is even based on free software, just like macOS and iOS.

>Why do you think Linux has shot up since the Snowden revelations
[citation needed]

>Why do you think Linux has shot up since the Snowden revelations and the advent of privacy as a political issue.
Because of Google.

do i need to pay 100 bucks to enter the Android store market?

And sure Google took over Android...which is EXACTLY what Amazon are doing with Ubuntu, do go back to our original argument. Hence why Lineage OS and Kubuntu were created.

so don't install vanilla ubuntu.

>do i need to pay 100 bucks to enter the Android store market?
You don't have to pay anything to develop for macOS. Android is to Linux as NeXTStep/OS X are to Mach.

Free CDs and then DVDs they used to send anywhere to the world, complete with stickers and some marketing stuff.

Ubuntu was distributed with magazines, too.

Also ubuntu meaning sharing in ancient wakanda tribe language - they were SJWs before SJWs got voice, back in 2000's.

Easy to use, ui that's mix of android with windows and linux.

At least 3 variations of UI and countless versions for all the hardware.

Shilled at schools.

They got ahead everyone else and they did it well. Jow Forums isn't smart by hating everything, they just had luck to hate on apple and google, like a broken clock that shows time right twice a day.

post distro + number of women you've had sex with

OpenSUSE

sounds like my previous workplace, except that I didn't notice any jew. the Italian guy was very short, below 1.60 meters. kind of odd they employ a ton of red hat professionals with certs and shit but noone used fedora.

>>every de not having a fucking auto updater jesus christ
bait or legit retarded?

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
>still trusting Linux Mint after the backdoor fiasco
>Distro being maintained by amateurs
>Distributing ISOs in a non-https website (pre-2017)
>Hacked multiple times in the same way over several days

Why do you still trust this piece of shit distro? It's literally maintained by amateurs who don't know what they're doing. Seriously, just read that blog post and the comments below it.
If you want a stable and easy to use distro, just use Debian or Ubuntu for fucks sake. Debian can even be installed with Cinnamon.

what said plus it's bloated as fuck since it doesn't have a minimal install option unlike ubuntu. Why isn't there a good/oficially supported ubuntu cinnamon flavor out there? Cinnamon is really the best thing that came out of that project.

this
ubuntus are the best distros with less compatibility issues and less user difficulty

retards on Jow Forums infesting the board shilling literally the most retarded distributions

Cinnamon is gnome with some garbage hacks.
for fucks sake, those retards don't know what they are doing. Even less make a desktop.
If you don't like gnome use kde.
Or get the fucking panel extension for gnome and be done with it.
Cinnamon is garbage that doesn't even have the optimizations gnome makes with every upgrade

>Just werks
>Brainlets who can't be bothered with another distro but want to brag about using Linux
Probably one of the two, possibly a mixture.

woke

Its the gateway distro. They start here and then they start testing others and eventually they are competent linux users. (best case scenario)

Because it's probably the easiest to use for anyone making the leap from Windoze, that should be encouraged

Basically because they marketed the shit out of it, so everyone used it. And then everyone started supporting it for their corporate shit.

Also people like LTS stability, especially when it's free.

yep 100% this

Attached: He's_Right_You_Know.jpg (640x478, 50K)

Used to help a program in my town that would take in old hardware and turn it around into working computers. We would toss Ubunto on them and give them to old people, other volunteers (community service) would teach them how to use the internet. Eventually switched to Mint.

>Eventually switched to Mint.
where do these idiots come from?

>distros
You mean distro.