Now that Discord is locking thousands of accounts everyday and forcing users to...

Carter Foster
Carter Foster

Now that Discord is locking thousands of accounts everyday and forcing users to unlock their accounts with phone numbers, what is a better alternative?

Attached: 1566584180530.png (65 KB, 602x686)

Other urls found in this thread:

overtone.app/
jami.net/
matrix.org,
halogen.city
matrix.kiwifarms.net
matrix.org/clients/
jowforums.com/thread/72736955/technology

Evan Anderson
Evan Anderson

Discord has always been shit, IRC has still been working this whole time. It watched the Berlin Wall fall. IRC is still perfect for text based chat, you can share images by linking them you cretin, I know this doesn't appeal to zoomers because they can't easily share their memes with drag and drop

John Phillips
John Phillips

What the literal mouth breathing, zoomer fuck are you talking about. Discord has never been the preferred choice, and it's always been mumble.

End your fucking life.

Nolan Davis
Nolan Davis

maybe rocket chat for the AIO

Ryder Richardson
Ryder Richardson

Oh, that's surprising, I wouldn't expect a massively advertised "free" SaaS to do this!

Just don't use these things in the first place.
You were warned, you didn't listen.
But consider this a chance to stop it.

You can still be saved, use mumble and xmpp/irc and take back control.

Alexander Perry
Alexander Perry

Briar, else Signal

Benjamin Collins
Benjamin Collins

alternative
The alternative is to not be a nu-male cuck.

Tyler Sullivan
Tyler Sullivan

I want to say riot.im but it seems to get more and more buggy as time goes on.

Matthew Anderson
Matthew Anderson

IRC.
BUT VOICE CHAT
Voice chat is for illiterate children.

Camden Wilson
Camden Wilson

Don't care, i can buy SIM cards in bulk.

Eli Miller
Eli Miller

IRC
Enjoy your empty rooms filled with idlers. Enjoy no markdown, embeds, profile pics and emoji.

Pic related, we're on the superior chatting platform.

Attached: unknown.png (553 KB, 1280x720)

Luke Adams
Luke Adams

Since when have discord forced phone numbers?

Jordan Price
Jordan Price

no markdown, embeds, profile pics and emoji
And that's why we fucking enjoy it, little ADD kid.

Gavin Morales
Gavin Morales

matrix with riot is actually pretty good

Wyatt Adams
Wyatt Adams

its really not, though. its riddled with bugs and they keep tacking on new features instead of making the current application work better.

not to mention the centralization of vector

Leo Jenkins
Leo Jenkins

Matrix.org / Riot.im are the best replacement for Discord and getting better. Open source and federated.

Aaron Lopez
Aaron Lopez

t. illeterate 14 yo adult human being

Colton Nguyen
Colton Nguyen

Loads of things do it, they claim some kind of suspicious thing and force you to enable 2FA to "verify" yourself.
They force you to SET IT UP as "verification" to log in.
I know gmail does this, I don't know about discord though but I assume OP isn't larping as a discord user because why..

Angel Robinson
Angel Robinson

markdown

Attached: 1564290902646.png (41 KB, 571x618)

Brayden Russell
Brayden Russell

What's wrong with markdown? What's lightweight markup got to do with reddit?

Andrew Brooks
Andrew Brooks

"we"? no one uses that shit anymore except lonely boomers and neckbeard freetards. get a life and join the rest of society. or are you a NEET?

Attached: 1330233071584.jpg (44 KB, 500x375)

Carter Allen
Carter Allen

I haven't had any issues with bugs. Not saying there isn't any, but it's not a big deal.

Jacob Edwards
Jacob Edwards

Nope, no one uses markdown, emojis, profile pics, and embeds except for dumb fucking NEETs with no life.

Jaxon Hernandez
Jaxon Hernandez

This looks kinda cool.
overtone.app/

Austin Robinson
Austin Robinson

Even Poozilla, leader of dead browsers, doesn't give a fuck about your dead platform. Meanwhile, schools and businesses are embracing it. People with actual lives, unlike you.

Attached: unknown.png (20 KB, 732x291)

Leo Price
Leo Price

Don't worry.

Selling your soul to the devil is an extra step towards better verification.

A lot of companies are doing it, so it's safe.

Attached: 1566040084958.png (424 KB, 1760x1384)

Adam Long
Adam Long

Matrix
You have to relly on other sites and you can't do VoIP in IRC

Xavier Howard
Xavier Howard

More proprietary centralized crap. If we are changing we should move to something open source at least and ideally decentralized / federated

Isaiah Jones
Isaiah Jones

ive had messages take long to arrive, notifications that i cant remove, everything is generally slow.

i really like riot and i use it regularly but lately its been a real piece of shit

Landon Thompson
Landon Thompson

How about Jami then, is she cool?
jami.net/

Austin Morgan
Austin Morgan

If you're on matrix.org, it's generally bogged down by the amount of volume that comes in, to the point where they no longer federate presence updates. Consider using a different homeserver, such as halogen.city or matrix.kiwifarms.net

Parker Smith
Parker Smith

you can't do VoIP in IRC
that's what shit like Mumble is for

Lincoln Hernandez
Lincoln Hernandez

Enjoy no markdown, embeds, profile pics and emoji
This but unironically.

Julian Peterson
Julian Peterson

testing 1 2
//boards.4channel.org/g/>>/dpt//

John Lee
John Lee

Enjoy no markdown, embeds, profile pics and emoji.
you're supposed to be shitting on IRC in your reply, not trying to convince me to give it another chance

Tyler Moore
Tyler Moore

overtone.app/
their desktop client is made in fucking Unity of all things. i wouldn't trust this company

matrix.kiwifarms.net
took 2 minutes to load

Attached: its-fucked.png (12 KB, 1337x149)

Noah Perry
Noah Perry

You clearly have no friends

Joshua Walker
Joshua Walker

BFDI server
Kill yourself

Eli Butler
Eli Butler

Riot is a Javascript webclient that can be used alongside Matrix, and that client's load time shouldn't be considered indicative of how the homeserver itself performs, as these are separate components. Register for a homeserver through either of the portals linked, then log in from a client of your choice. Any standalone client should load much quicker.

matrix.org/clients/

Kevin Bennett
Kevin Bennett

yikes

Nathaniel Taylor
Nathaniel Taylor

You have to relly on other sites
What does this mean? There has to be a server?

Josiah Walker
Josiah Walker

I'm so happy my account got deleted randomly. Dropped this shit while it was still in its infancy.

Brody Myers
Brody Myers

mumble.
Speak for yourself.
Teamspeak > Mumble

Dylan Cook
Dylan Cook

absolutely proprietary

Jaxson Martinez
Jaxson Martinez

le propietary software!
zoomerss/nu-males!!!!
muh irc
muh privacy!

Zachary Davis
Zachary Davis

Can we post loli on Discord yet?

Christian Thomas
Christian Thomas

you can
nobody else can though

Christopher Nelson
Christopher Nelson

forcing users to unlock their accounts with phone numbers
Are they seriously doing this? I literally only use Discord for scanlation, can't be fucked to give them my number for this.

Mason Martinez
Mason Martinez

Telegram

Leo Morales
Leo Morales

IRC is shit because most rooms are dead circlejerks
discord is shit too but there's a pretty universal shitposting culture that makes all rooms interchangeable.

Grayson Phillips
Grayson Phillips

Riot.im for chat, Mumble for VoIP.
Or just use Caprine/MessengerForDesktop because you and your friends are probably using Facebook already.

Discord has always been shit
This.

Jack Peterson
Jack Peterson

Discord doesn't support Markdown. It has its own shitty markup that's loosely based on Markdown. If you want real Markdown (CommonMark), use Riot.im.

Julian Green
Julian Green

discord is utter garbage but I have to use it because it's the only thing my friends use

Mason Bailey
Mason Bailey

Riot.im is literal cancer, I never seen such a shitty software.
Their E2E is a total pain in the ass.
you joined a chat? Good job! Now you have to enable E2E on every single of the 1000+ users in the chat room and wait for them to acknowledge your key to be able to read the chat!
what's that? You just updated our shitty software? Tuff luck, you have to reauthorize the 1000+ users.
random bug? Go back clicking those users one by one goy to authorize them again!
Garbage.

Brayden Miller
Brayden Miller

If you don't care about verifying their keys and are willing to blindly trust them, just click the "ignore" button. Chat will be marked as untrusted, but you'll be able to send messages to all members.

Christopher Richardson
Christopher Richardson

Even if you want to ignore the E2E, which imo defeat the whole purpose of this shit software, you have to ignore the E2E per user one by one, it's totally retarded.

Ethan Nguyen
Ethan Nguyen

Encryption is bloat, don't use it.

Wyatt Miller
Wyatt Miller

No, you can just click "send anyway" when you try to send a message. It will ignore all of them.
Also, if you want to verify, then by all means, do so and don't complain that you have to do what you wanted to! As for the client forgetting verifications: I haven't had that happen on client upgrade (don't clear your local storage!) and the UISI on federation failure bug was fixed a few weeks ago.

Isaiah Nguyen
Isaiah Nguyen

18+ website
Chat application for kids and mentally deranged high school drop outs
Why?

Literally kids cartoon shows channels on the left, zoomer version of gaia online conversation in the center.

Companies always were aware of the fact that kids (schools) are the main money spenders in every family, so guess what? They're adjusting themselves to use what the kids use - discord. Even if it's like 3 years after the release.

Jordan Hernandez
Jordan Hernandez

I'm all for IRC and FOSS in general, but you can disable all of that on Discord.

Wyatt Perry
Wyatt Perry

LMAO NERD JUST USE WINDOWS 95 HAHA IT'S GETS THE JOB DONE AND IT"S NOT A FUCKING BOTNET LMAO ZOOMERS I'M OLD SCHOOL TOUGH

I swear this cringy nerd elitism is the ultimate reddit experience
Discord is more smooth, has tons of features, people get into it easily, tons of communities without the interface/functional autism.
I can't take anyone seriously who still uses IRC
kys and kys again if you fail the first time

Easton Gonzalez
Easton Gonzalez

You either have to use something gay like imgur or create some custom solution for uploading multimedia.
Meatrix has all that and not a botnet.

Camden Young
Camden Young

j-just install multiple programs to replace one that does it all!
what do you mean you don't want to!
god you retards are stupid. you wonder why nobody uses your shitty grandpa software

Attached: yike-(one).jpg (71 KB, 1200x675)

John Cruz
John Cruz

Rocket.chat is a self-hosted alternative to Slack and Discord minus voice chat, unfortunately it's Node/Mongo based webshit that just doesn't scale on the server side if you want to keep non-trivial amounts of chat backlog.

Isaac Powell
Isaac Powell

if you aren't using the GAYMURS choice of VoIP instead of anything that isn't chink spyware then you're like totally lame and cringe bro

Justin Cook
Justin Cook

this is so tiresome you're stupid and ugly.
cope dilate boomer zoomer cringe kys have sex

Brayden Ward
Brayden Ward

this is why i hate reddit
full of autisticcatgirl2005 wannabes

Zachary Reyes
Zachary Reyes

Yes if you want to be reported to the authorities

William Howard
William Howard

make a twitter account that requires email verification out of curiosity
account gets locked like an hour later saying I need to put in a phone number to unlock it
has a 'contact help/leave a message' link somewhere nearby
call them out on their bullshit about needing a phone number when it had to be verified by email not even an hour prior, and that phone number wasn't mandatory even in their own signup bs
gets unlocked the next day
I dont even use it but the fact things went a full 180 from how it used to be (the good old 'dont give personal information out to damn near anybody online) is something that just disgusts me.

Brandon Torres
Brandon Torres

programs that excel at what they are designed to do
one program that does a shitty job at multiple things
I'll take the multiple programs.

Jose Howard
Jose Howard

getting better
Source?

Landon Garcia
Landon Garcia

gmail DOES NOT "make you do this". It is optional.

Brandon Cooper
Brandon Cooper

not using volafile.org

ngmi

Tyler Ward
Tyler Ward

There was a short period of time where discord was actually good near its launch when several IRC groups moved there. It's nowhere near the same now though, and the ghost bans sound fucked.

Eli Powell
Eli Powell

This is not true, I said that because I experienced it, I was locked out of my account until I enabled 2FA, with my phone. I didn't do that, and starting using other things.

Zachary Gomez
Zachary Gomez

Enjoy no markdown, embeds, profile pics and emoji.
That was the best bait I had see for long time.

Joseph Roberts
Joseph Roberts

IRC is perfectly fine. If you want special features like embeddings and emoji just use a client that supports that. And if it doesn't exist just implement it on your own. It shouldn't be too hard to parse links from a message and display them in a fancy box.
Just look at Twitch chat, last I remember they use IRC.

Lincoln Clark
Lincoln Clark

I swear this cringy nerd elitism is the ultimate reddit experience
typical redditor is avid discord user tho
Discord is more smooth
electron
smooth
pick one
has tons of features
because a chatting program neds more than text and voip...
people get into it easily
irc was used by gamers in the late 90 early 00, we had no problems organizing raids on everquest or pracs for cs 1.6.
Modern gamers are just spoonfed retards, they can't handle criticism and not having everything lvl1. Take a look at the shitheads that have mental breakdowns playing souls/sekiro because it's too hard.
tons of communities without the interface/functional autism
connected servers on the left
users on the right
chat in the middle
chat box at the bottom
typical irc client...
I can't take anyone seriously who still uses IRC
Developers around the world use irc because they don't want the distraction and the garbage (((feature-full))) (3-digit iq people call that bloat) interfaces.
kys and kys again if you fail the first time
Zoomer baby-rage, don't reeee too loud of mommy will beat yo ass.

Eli Watson
Eli Watson

Discord is fucking trash. Some autistic fag in our group made us all switch from TS3 to discord and we all hate this zoomer cancer now. I'm literally booting up a fresh linux vm today so I can get TS3 back up. What a mistake this all turned out to be.

Lincoln Fisher
Lincoln Fisher

How many internets do you need to host a mumble/ts server?

Adrian Bell
Adrian Bell

dilate

Dylan Morgan
Dylan Morgan

A 5 dollar VPS will be more than enough. Same with mumble, a similar but libre VoIP server.

Michael Fisher
Michael Fisher

Yeah, let's be honest here. There's a reason discord QUICKLY took over as the standard for server/group interaction. It's got a ton of shit TeamSpeak can't hold a candle to and that's the sad truth.

Robert Powell
Robert Powell

Yeah, there is a reason but it's not the one you gave. It's because they had venture capital money to burn and a marketing team smart enough to appeal to the nu males, basedboys and nonces who flocked to their product and willingly gave them all their data for free.

Isaac Gomez
Isaac Gomez

How do these mouthbreathers survive their day?

Attached: 1567865437897.png (165 KB, 1052x717)

John Wood
John Wood

muh elitism
You should just cut your own balls off at this point.

Isaac Garcia
Isaac Garcia

these zoomies were wired to the botnet as soon as they are born. Their parents are probably itoddler boomers who have no consideration for privacy, along with a complete lack of understanding in technology. They say that children will build the future, and I fear the future that these children will grow up to build.

Attached: img-eggsif-7658834550314344969.jpg (315 KB, 1296x968)

Thomas Fisher
Thomas Fisher

Talking to someone with your voice has a lot more depth than typing to them. I can't imagine that you're very socially affluent so I'm not taking you very seriously anyways

Justin Lee
Justin Lee

Enjoy your empty rooms filled with idlers.
Do you use Discord ... ? It's hard to tell.

Evan Jackson
Evan Jackson

they made me send a picture of my photo id, my phone number, and MYSELF next to my photo id. needed my account because i own a server with 50k members for some shitty game i made, pays the bills

David Myers
David Myers

i feel your pain

Joshua Rodriguez
Joshua Rodriguez

forcing users to unlock their accounts with phone numbers
So, you need to give yet another corporation more info about yourself which can be used against you via identity theft should it ever get leaked in any manner by said company and anyone they share that info with legally or otherwise?

Attached: discord.png (157 KB, 718x383)

Austin Adams
Austin Adams

Try doing something you've never done before. Have a face-to-face conversation.

Attached: index.jpg (10 KB, 275x183)

Ian Roberts
Ian Roberts

Sebastian Flores
Sebastian Flores

yes, switch from new botnet to a new botnet.

Austin Allen
Austin Allen

skyke
new

Colton Diaz
Colton Diaz

he hasn't gone full blockchain yet
jowforums.com/thread/72736955/technology

Camden Thompson
Camden Thompson

Now that Discord is locking thousands of accounts everyday and forcing users to unlock their accounts with phone numbers
i logged in to check. my account is not locked. have any proof or links i can look at?

Justin White
Justin White

yeah, turn on a VPN and change your password or email or keep using that VPN for a few days

if you're scared of the boogeyman VPN, go to any random public wifi spot

if you're scared of leaving your house, fuck off

Cooper Gutierrez
Cooper Gutierrez

right. that all makes a bit more sense than op's brain fart.

Justin Rivera
Justin Rivera

OP said something better than discord, so i said skype since it has "the signal protocol".
Well it gets updates, so it's kinda new?

Nathan Diaz
Nathan Diaz

yeah because locking somebody's account until they give their phone number after they changed their password or email is not restarted at all

zoom zoom, you /r/discordapp autist

Julian Russell
Julian Russell

unable to read english
is not restarted at all
restarted
learn to english, you fucking retard.

Eli Richardson
Eli Richardson

unable to read english
you're so retarded, you're clearly defending discord's privacy attacks
restarted
are you going to cry over a misspelled word now? litlte zoom zoom, you're getting too angry over nothing

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit