/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Rin Edition

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards
>Great durability (excl L and E series)
>Utilitarian design
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Most models are easy to repair, upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model and spare parts are easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, easier to use when typing
>Good for Hackintoshing

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500
Models before *40 series can be Corebooted

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available for a good price, socketed CPU (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Chink Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, miniDP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: rin thinkpad.png (1920x1080, 821K)

Other urls found in this thread:

securedgenetworks.com/blog/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-Infographic-Which-wireless-solutions-are-better
gist.github.com/anounyym1/5b18d688a0c380f2bf51babe10f915f1
github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool/blob/master/UEFIPatch/patches.txt
insanelymac.com/forum/topic/337333-guide-fix-insyde-h2o-bios-signature-5-beeps-on-lenovo/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i wish t440p was upgradable to 32gb ram

I'm about to buy a t440p myself!

Which HDD caddy adapter should I get?
The official "Lenovo ThinkPad 9.5mm SATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter IV" has shit reviews on Amazon. I've seen the Nimitz has good reviews, and I don't know what to use.

Also, did you replace the wifi card? I would like to avoid the whole quest of upgrading the bios. Will my internet connection via wifi suffer without a better wifi card?

My T420 has been acting up lately
whenever I press the speaker-mute button it toggles on, but pressing it again doesn't toggle it off neither the audio nor the light.
Instead I have to press on one of the volume buttons (+/-) twice to completely unmute the speaker again.
This might be a Windows 10 thing, but this started like 2 days ago and I can't remember updating.

Also I can't remember pressing the Fn key ever lighting up the mute LED

unirconically I like the new chicklet keyboard more than the old ones change my mind

Just got a W540 under Win10. After installing the Fn software, every key except for Fn+F12 works. When using Sharp Keys, Fn+F12 returns "Key is disabled".

Kinda wished I could map that to Print Screen istead of the god awful placement it has between Ctrl and Alt Gr.

Attached: SharpKeys_2019-09-14_22-01-23.png (736x543, 64K)

I like the feel of it, I just hate the layout. Fn's placement is so stupid that even Lenovo has noticed and gives you the option to change it into BIOS. Print Screen makes no sense where it is when it's either Fn or Menu on most keyboards, there are no Fn media keys anymore either.

yeah the print screen and the media keys or the lack of really put me off on the new ones, but damn the new keys feel so much better somehow I can't describe it

Ordered myself a basic T440p. I plan on bumping the RAM up to 8GB, swapping the hard drive with a spare SSD, installing Manjaro, and replacing the screen. Anyone have a good source on screens? Screencountry claims to have legit N140HCE-EN1 REV.C2 panels, but their listing doesn't have "Color Gamut 72%" like some other listings have.

I ended up mapping Calculator to Print Screen and Print Screen to Menu (which I find way more useful on a laptop than a desktop to avoid moving the cursor around), and Fn+F12 doesn't even work. I'm indeed.

According to this, 802-11n (the latest wifi protocol stock t440p) supports up to 450 Mbps. Does this mean I don't need to change the wifi card unless my home wifi has a larger bandwidth than that?

securedgenetworks.com/blog/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-Infographic-Which-wireless-solutions-are-better

Attached: Layer-09-Protocol.png (598x2015, 443K)

Basically, but if what I've discovered with my desktop PC is true, more power is generally "more" better anyway because you still lose bandwidth due to the nature of Wi-Fi. That said, going above 450MBps is optical fibre tier. If you don't have optical fibre, it's wasted money.

As Yngwie would say, "more is more".

I just bought one with the same specs save an i5-5330 for $260. Kind of an impulse buy, but good?

I was really disappointed by my t420 I got a few years back, though it was mostly the terrible screen and not-so-good keyboard. Hopefully this will be better. Seemed like a great price to me.

Chances are you won't notice the difference between N and AC alone. If your router can do AC it should do N really well, same with the wifi card. Wait until your Thinkpad comes in, then run some speedtests. If you're happy with the speeds just leave the card alone.

and if it matters, the $260 was including tax/shipping.
eBay has 10% off coupon today for me.

Thanks for the answer. I have a piss poor connection (10 Mbps) so I guess I can skip the whole bios shenanigans! Thanks a lot!

Oh yeah, no wifi card is gonna help you with that. My desktop has a cheap Rosewill N card that pulls over 100Mbps easily. Just make sure you're speeds aren't super low compared to other devices on the network, in which case the card might be dying.

t440p owner here, still using the stock wifi card without any problems. Home internet is limited to 80mb/s, and I see no difference between cable or wireless speeds in tests.

As for the hard drive adapter, I'm using a generic 9.5mm one without any issues. Got 3 of them for 10 bucks, so if it does fail it'll take less than a minute to replace it.
Check to see if it has an actual dvd drive by the way, recently a buddy of mine bought an l540 and it came with a solid plastic filler piece in the drive bay, no plastic cover to remove and put on the adapter which looks really ghetto. (Don't know if the same is true for the t440p)

How often do you use your Thinkpad? For work? leisure? I'm asking because I'm on the fence about buying a thinkpad for casual use.

Attached: 1566701126035.jpg (1920x1080, 271K)

Its so sexy..

Attached: 20190914_165316.jpg (4608x2240, 2.41M)

Thanks! Yes, the t440p comes with an optical drive.

Do you have a need for a laptop?
I owned a Surface Pro 3 for years and it's just been collecting dust since I finished school. My current job leaves me with a good 3-4 hour chunk of time where I'm just waiting for stuff to happen, so I bought a laptop to keep me occupied. I refuse to do personal stuff on my work machine and staring at a phone screen starts to suck balls after an hour.

Attached: YuriSpaghetti.jpg (581x885, 39K)

I don't, because I use the superior device

Attached: file.png (296x43, 1K)

Recently I've been using it pretty frequently because I've needed to be productive.
Unplugged the gaymer rig and being bound to a laptop is not very fun or comfortable so I am compelled to do other things.

A MacBook Pro? Agreed.

Sometimes you need someone else's look on the matter. To make sure this happens, you communicate, that's when you force yourself to go through each step of the problem you're facing, eventually finding out where you fucked up. So don't feel bad for that.
You certainly is a faggot, but not for this reason.

Attached: 1554999034131.png (868x812, 1M)

Everyday.

hello Jow Forums, i would like to know what the best lenovo brand mouse i should buy.

Attached: soypatch.png (281x315, 127K)

WHO SNIPED THE $150 T440S I WAS LOOKING AT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: reee.jpg (800x522, 30K)

no

thats a really stupid price to pay faggot

for i7 220ssd 12gb ram ips and extra battery?

Please help

What's a cute distro to dual boot with 10 LTSC on my OS/gender non-conformant x220?

Attached: 1295317489248.jpg (313x313, 36K)

Debian
or Arch if you're cool
Gentoo if you're autistic

>cute
haiku os

>spend 4 hours driving (back and forth) across the country (actually state but I say country to make it sound more dramatic) to meet an Arab who agreed to sell me his T450s (probably stolen) for $300
>i7, 1920x1080
>meet him in person
>he backs out and asks for $400
What the FUCK, its like hes not even apologetic for 9/11.

Attached: file.png (836x679, 927K)

Theres a thinkpad 410 near me available, 500 GB HD, Intel i7 core, and looks worn down, but is $20. im really considering getting it, even though ive heard the 410 model is obsolete as fuck. worth it or nah? i dont game at all and i would jsut use it for coding/work mostly (i do computational science shit) whatdya boys say?

its a t410, that is.

T410 is still enough for basic web browsing and animu and stuff. For $20 you might as well grab it.

Attached: tumblr_002998991d5f9c029f61f942144c9d63_7d445df5_1280.jpg (800x893, 155K)

a fully functioning computer for $20, sure why not

Thinking on jumping on the memepad train and keeping the thing for a good long while.
But it's gonna be a T480 though. Down the road if something were to fail, where's the best place to buy parts?

Are there any OLED panels that would fit in a T430 or T440p?

find the FRU # for the part you want, then google it, ebay, aliexpress, a lot of online stores that stock parts

Where can I learn how to mod my x230 BIOS myself?
Guy on the forum keeps asking for PayPal money, even though I told him it won't let me send it.

what do u want to mod

WIFI Whitelist removal
Unlock MSR 0xE2
Enable Advanced menu

you bought it, didn't you?

You think X1 Carbon is going on sale on Black Friday, and how low do you estimate the price can get?

Just ordered an x395 with the 3500u and 1080p non touch screen. Any chance of me getting ~6hrs battery life on linux?

>I owned a Surface Pro 3 for years and it's just been collecting dust since I finished school

I know this feel, with my T500. It's barely seen any use since I graduated 3 years ago, and I've turned it on maybe twice in the past year. I've thought about selling it, but I refuse to give up that 1920x1200 screen.

Not sure what the second thing is but coreboot will fix the first issue.

no, I wrote a bad review on his craigslist account and then went to the lenovo experience shop to try out the x390 and x395, they are pretty light as 1920x1080 seems fine on 12.5" even with 100% display scaling but that's probably because I'm used to low dpi using a 27" 1440p monitor.

>already told you last thread to shoot him and rob him of everything on him

For $20 I would even buy it just to post it on tpg even if I don't use it

Can someone give me an idea whether or not if these prices for any thinkpad is worth purchasing? These are all priced in Canadian Dollars. I'm asking because I have no idea how much they should be worth on craigslist or kijiji.

Attached: macrocomputers.png (1092x868, 75K)

everything is about $100-$150 overpriced

That's just Canadian currency difference

Leaf here, I recently bought a T450 with an i7 for about 400 (before ontario tax), from a newegg seller. I also got a T420 a year ago for about 200. It still seems like a bargain for how much they are here, even on ebay. Keep an eye out, our dollar doesn't go very far. Who knows you may find a deal yet.

Attached: 1568524967399.jpg (1920x1080, 167K)

>10 LTSC
install 8.1 embedded instead

I'm really stupid and I cant figure out how to change my bios splash screen logo from GNU/Linux on my t430

>battery wear indicator goes up 5% after every cycle
Thanks Lenovo!

Should be okay, spend another 20 bucks on an SSD tho

>tumblr
You need to reflash the BIOS in windows. Basically dont do it

recalibrate your battery

Make a LiveUSB of windows, run the bios utility, profit.

it's $100 overpriced after converting to usd. t440s should be at most $250 usd for those specs.

how many cycles does the battery on your thinkpad has? I just noticed mine has over 100

>1.6GHz base clock
>1.8GHz IDA
>now running at 2.2GHz base clock and 2.4 IDA, same 1.0something volt
why the hell is this overclock so fucking stable

Attached: oc.png (210x105, 3K)

Why's there no proper AMD 15" Laptop yet? At this point I'm about to get an E595, not because it's good but the best of the worst.
>brandshill lolol
Don't care. We as the consumers should have a choice and Intel's bedshittery lately is going on my nerves.

1/2

Attached: Screenshot_20190915-045819_1.png (1080x2103, 353K)

HP wanted $700 for this. Just gonna put my own shit in.

Attached: Screenshot_20190914-143507_1.png (1080x1606, 183K)

Get UEFIPatch and apply following:
gist.github.com/anounyym1/5b18d688a0c380f2bf51babe10f915f1
github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool/blob/master/UEFIPatch/patches.txt

Also you most likely want to do this insanelymac.com/forum/topic/337333-guide-fix-insyde-h2o-bios-signature-5-beeps-on-lenovo/

what ram should i buy for thinkpad P50? i want to go to 32gb. I have 16 right now, i do 3D heavy work. is shit like pic related fine?

Attached: file.png (225x128, 48K)

>ryzen pro cpu

oh wow are these new

>How often do you use your Thinkpad? For work? leisure? I'm asking because I'm on the fence about buying a thinkpad for casual use.

Personally i use mine everyday and i dont even do any work on it, just a fuck ton of yt and Jow Forums/nel, once i reinstall my distro to 64 bit i can see myself use it EVEN more.

I will never use a laptop without a trackpoint again,

Trackpilled gang

Attached: 1558122881482.jpg (2560x1440, 389K)

Which Thinkpad should I get ?

I am looking for one in the 100-200$ range.
I want one that: has the old keyboard and mouse, is upgradable, has long battery life and decent performance.

16 gb isn't enough anymore for me, i need 32 or 48

you can get an x230 or t430 for just north of $100, then a new genuine battery for $60-70

x200/x220 if you will install some lightweight linux distro. x230 if you are willing to use the new keyboard.
T420 if you want old keyboard + bigger screen
T430 if you want old keyboard + faster processor + bigger screen.

Is having the audio jack on the right side a deal breaker to you ?
I mean, it kind of gets in the way when you are using a external mouse.

Attached: T420.jpg (500x162, 17K)

Just get a 3.5mm right angle adapter or a cable with a right angle head.

I mostly carry it to work to play video games on it.

That's what I did
got 5% less capacity again

Should I buy a T420 or T430 ?

yes

they both cost around the same and the t430 is just a more recent machine with newer hardware, if you really hate the keyboard you can replace it with the t420 one I think

it even comes with a better OS

I don't know much about it but I have heard that T420 is more future proof because you can change the wifi card with newer wifi cards that have newer technology. If the wifi card on the T430 won't become obsolete, then I will go for it.

I need to buy a new laptop for my university course (computer science), and am struggling to choose between the T495S and the X1 Carbon. Do you guys have any experiences with either of the 2, and if so, which one should I get?

>Jow Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

400nit screen option for the t495s is stupidly expensive atleast here so it costs as much as the x1 c7

Hey anons, I'm having trouble getting my media keys to work on my t430 with GNU/Linux, help is much appreciated!

e series, ignore stallman fans here saying it's bad

>plastic hinges

What's /tpg/'s stand on x1 carbon?
Either this, or a recent-ish x2?0 with a 1080p display.
My x201's dead do my current laptop is an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard. Sad.

Attached: F9sKIRb.webm (480x854, 2.02M)

if the limitations of x1c don't bother you it's just fine

had a dream last night i bought and was opening a new x280
my eyesight was really bad and i had to squint very hard and look really close just to find see model, weird dream

Taking the thinkpad out for a drive

Attached: IMG_20190910_204244_DRO.jpg (1440x2560, 2.46M)