Admit it. Organizing folders by application is far more intuitive than organizing them by file type...

Admit it. Organizing folders by application is far more intuitive than organizing them by file type. This is why OSs like Windows and Mac will always be used more than Linux distro. People want to know that everything is in one folder, not scattered around

Attached: EC85B227-9141-4AD3-ADB9-B450B8B66FFF.jpg (2400x1800, 102K)

Excuse me, but what the fuck are you talking about?

he thinks windows doesnt have a documents folder

B-but how the fuck could you miss that?

Are you talking installed package directory or package configuration directory? Linux and MacOS work relatively the same under the hood.

Why do you think Microsoft is working so hard on the windows Linux subsystem? Configuration of system wide applications in a general place is much simpler then having to search through application subfolders to configure programs.

Windows doesn't have proper POSIX file permissions, and it's utter shit. It is a huge reason why Windows servers aren't the standard.

Attached: 1568364312957.png (1167x800, 1020K)

And why the fuck would I want to see the software's files if I don't need to mess with them?
That system of windows only helps to get more bloat

*blocks your path*

Attached: the worst invention in history.jpg (600x201, 22K)

Registry.
A. K. A. You're a retard.

>download a program off the internet in windows
>extract it to a folder
>literally all the files are in that folder, all the .exe files and .ini files
>maybe one config file is stored in program files but they are easy to find

>download a program off linux
>files are scattered all over the fucking place
>files are in vastly different folders and not in one convenient location where you can see them all
>exe files are in different folder from config files which are in different folder from data files

Yeah. This is why windows organization is superior. linux file organization is unintuitive as fuck. If i download a program i want to put as many files as i can in one folder.

Why redownload the same library over and over when I can tell programs where all libraries are

Why would anyone ever use a locked down OS like Windows Server? Yes, it's important that it is not POSIX in regard to its lack of adoption, but the fact that it only supports three filesystems (all of which are awful) is also important.

Nigger what? Have you not heard of zip files? We got everything in one compact file that we can unzip in one click.

not once they are installed

Oh so your argument is that Linux is too hard for you to figure out where things are?

Windows is the same way. Have you ever tried finding where your storage is in Chrome? Where Flash is stored?

Have you ever looked at where the fuck everything is when you install a game on Steam?

Have you ever looked at the registry?

Hierarchical filesystems are terrible, and should be replaced with tag-based filesystems.

Like yesterday, these people keep surprising me how their able to press the on button on their pc.

>A wild Registry appears.
>Registry used Prolonged Existence.
>Intuition fainted.

Good thing ostree package overlays exist

>don't talk about appdata
>o-okay

>Program Files (x86)
OH NO NO NO

>Program Files (x86)
As opposed to ARM?

you can do it either way on both operating systems, this is a non-issue.

As opposed to x86 64 bit, for some reason Windows devs think x86 only refers to 32 bit.

as opposed to regular Program Files for x86_64 software

What about 16 bit x86?

See

I don't think any modern windows can run 16bit userland code but if they could they'd probably have a different silly name for it. These are the same people that refer to ucs2 as "unicode".

*blocks your path*
Heh, nothin personnel kid

Attached: 487568.png (322x322, 25K)

Little by little, Microsoft has been refusing to run old code.
I dunno, is 16-bit code transparently run in Windows 10 in a built-in Windows 3.x or XP emulator?

>Program\dist\bin\3.0\linux\run

Attached: 1566299675173.png (501x445, 192K)

Sigh. Like literally the first result in Google.
Is your Google-FU so weak?

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 11.39.12.png (800x453, 122K)

>program files
>program files x86
>extracting its shit straight into c:
>registry
>appdata/roaming local locallow roaming
>user/documents
etc

make portable exe with config and everything in its folder standard
im mad

Like, even on your HD?

Silverblue is superior

Read about static and dynamic libraries you uneducated nigger.
After you've done that look up what FHS is.
"Scattered around", my ass.

>Why do you think Microsoft is working so hard on the windows Linux subsystem?
They don't. It's literally just linux in a virtual machine now

just do a disk defrag

Attached: godtier.gif (700x700, 3.89M)

They use cuckcuckgo

>filesystem hierarchy "standard"
>different on every distro and full of outdated concepts
nice

>They use cuckcuckgo
Yum, yum!
Preserve your privacy all in exchange for finding nothing on the World Wide Web.
What a deal!

Read more. They are working the Linux kernel in tandem with the nt kernel allowing direct hardware access.

You would be surprised. A sure cloud is still a huge thing. Microsoft is turning into an IBM.

this
imagine having an unnecessarily complex directory structure that even fucking separates config files majority of the time for installed software

Attached: linuxDir.jpg (602x623, 112K)

Nigger did you forget about AppData and how some software stores their config files in there hidden from the average user
My fucking Logitech Gaming Software Profile is all in AppData/Local/Logitech
Some shit is in AppData/Roaming
It's the SAME THING

Where is /var/ ?

>download a program off linux
>exe files

in reality
>download tarball of a program
>extract it
>everything is in the one folder its extracted to

try use chocolatey and install a package.
go find all its files, retard
a package is not the same as a zip file

try explaining to a computer newbie the difference between Program Files, Program Files (x86), ProgramData, System, System32, SysWoW64, AppData/Local, AppData/LocalLow, AppData/Roaming, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, etc

"Hurrr durrr what's a package manager? I'm retarded LOL!"

This but unironically

NOOO SHUT UP WINDOWS DOESN"T ORGANIZE BY FILE TYPE

Your pic is outdated, we use the systemd file hierarchy standard now, as specified in file-hierarchy(7). It's a combination of the FHS, XDG directory specifications as well as usrmerge

Attached: 1568569976780.jpg (1080x712, 188K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Program Files, Program Files (x86)
Whats the difference between them? One is for 32bit programs and the other is for 64?

the fuck are you talking about
it's entirely up to the programmer of the app to decide where they store the necessary librarys, configs, assets, etc...

Yep. Personally I'm jealous of the way macOS handles applications

windows shit is scattered around "program data" "program files" "app data" "application data" "local settings" and a few other folders.
also, .appimage and .sh on Linux are self-contained.
and shared libraries are far superior to per-app libraries. better security and lower disk usage.

>using linux-ported program on wangdoze

yes but in my experience it doesn't do anything. it's not like a program that's x86 wont run unless it's in that folder. and isn't syswow64 99% a copy of system32? windows has a lot of confusing folders, but those folders aren't logically necessary, they're just a product of lazy design.

giga brain
sagemode