Previous thread:
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of Windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

Attached: sqtirrel.jpg (900x1260, 867K)

Other urls found in this thread:

schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html
jenkins.io?
samsung.com/semiconductor/dram/module/M471B5173QH0-YK0/
amazon.fr/Samsung-1600MHz-ordinateur-portable-sO-dimm/dp/B00ZUI2TJM/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1SKKVJH5E1MT4&keywords=16gb pc3-12800s ddr3 sodimm&qid=1568555322&s=gateway&sprefix=16gb pc,computers,130&sr=8-5
amazon.fr/G-Skill-F3-1600C9D-16GRSL-16GB-DDR3-1600/dp/B00EOTYZOA/ref=asc_df_B00EOTYZOA/?tag=googshopfr-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=48666738926&hvpos=1o9&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2043722882436124648&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9056144&hvtargid=pla-78991617926&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i have a seedbox that i can ssh into running arch that has stupid-fast internet speed, but it only has like 5GB of drive space on it

how do I get my linux laptop here at home to use this server as a "proxy" with something like aria2c?

I tried to setup an ssh socks proxy and use proxy chains but i keep getting a bunch of "connection refused" and i get stuck at 0%

how can I use it to proxy torrent downloads

Attached: 1566872075335.jpg (1024x974, 89K)

The download links of Windows 10 LTSC in the first pastebin are of the trial version or the full version?

Full. The trial is basically useless.

Thanks. Have a loli eating pizza.

Attached: 1547151113298.jpg (968x1148, 490K)

Is there any way I can connect to internet without ISP?

With a large sum of money, yes. Basically, you set up your own ISP and convince your local internet registry to give you some IPs.
It'll be very expensive and a lot of work. You need a lot of special equipment.

I'm about to build a new pc after having had my current for 6 years. I'm not a complete sperg when it comes to tech literacy but I'm not an IT pro either. If I build a new pc and keep the hdd from my old one and use it to boot the new one will I have to start from scratch or will it be like an NG+? I know this question probably sounds incredibly dumb but I don't want to have to set up a pc all over again.

Another dumb question, if I update my OS (currently on Win7) to Win10, will my torrent client be affected? I have a ton of torrents seeding for private trackers and having to manually add 5k+ torrents will be absolute hell.

Thanks in advance, dudes.

Attached: 1567306145409.jpg (368x353, 14K)

HOOOAAAHHH MY GOD IM GONNA IM GONNA FUCKINNNN COOOOOMMMMEEE AHHH FUCK COOOOOM

This will, paradoxically, increase the amount of bullshit you have to put up with from ISPs.

If your new computer has a different architecture then you're going to have a real bad time. Otherwise you're fine.
6 years isn't pushing it for a HDD but it is kind of old, so you'll probably want to replace it while you're at it. You can copy your old one's data over to a new one.

Any links to a beginners guide to linking/compiling with a text editor and g++? Basically I'm trying to set up a GLFW window using emacs instead of VS/Xcode, and I can't figure out how to set up a header search path outside of an IDE; there are a bunch of #include and the compiler (linker?) needs to see those as #include

I have no idea what I'm doing...

>Drag to the desktop then click where you're dragging it.
Sorry I'm late, what do you mean? I just get the black crossed circle if I try and drag the image anywhere other than downloads

>different architecture
Please elaborate

I had been thinking of updating my HDD, but as I mentioned with the torrents thing, I really don't want to have to manually add all the torrents I have to a new client so unfortunately this is a little lower on my priorities. Sincere thanks for the response.

pls help

not him but the programs on your drive are compiled for your old processor's architecture, probably x64, so you would need another x64 for those work, and it wouldn't work on like a POWER9 or ARM processor. I'm not sure how installations work in Windows but in my limited experience with linux a lot of installations can be optimized for your specific processor, so using the programs compiled with your old processor might not take full advantage of your extra new cores or whatever. Please let me know if I got anything wrong there. Don't forget to set up your BIOS/UEFI/whatever you need to get your drive to boot

Oh, man I didn't even know about this. I'll look into what I can do to ease the transition. Thanks!

Worst case, even if you had to do a fresh install, just copy your torrent clients config files (usually in %appdata%) and the partial downloaded files and it should pick up where it was before.

am I supposed to download AUR packages to pacman's cache? seems that some AUR helpers have their own package cache, but if i were to not use one, where would they go?

Attached: 1518019050943.gif (487x560, 898K)

>am I supposed to download AUR packages to pacman's cache? seems that some AUR helpers have their own package cache, but if i were to not use one, where would they go?
you can if you want to, pacman will recognize aur-built packages in there
aur helpers don't put things in there because you need to be root to write there, and you don't want to run aur helpers as root

what the actual fuck is wrong with the internet on my pc?
it works for a few mins,then fucks off for 10-50 secs, pc says everything works fine even when that happens,I mostly see it because the 5 second countdown in the top right corner of every Jow Forums page when using Jow Forums x shows the dots or even connection error if it takes longer than that
how the fuck do I fix this shit?

also,I did buy a new ethernet cable and also one of those usb wi-fi antennas,same thing happens
on my laptop and phone it all works fine

Who is Tom from tom's HARDWARE?
Is he a real person or perhaps some kind of alias for a shadowy group of helpful and knowledgeable tech personnel working under the umbrella of some unknown higher power or entity?

Attached: tom's HARDWARE.jpg (504x140, 16K)

How do i check if my HDD is dying or not? There are no...symptoms (except it being slow as fuck but its been most of its life like that) but its like 12 years old so i'd want to check just in case before i lose 1tb of data

Attached: 4453453454.gif (162x226, 777K)

you better back up your shit bro better safe than sorry

Yeah i know, but can i somehow check in what state it is?

You're overthinking this. The dude literally named the site using his diminutive name.

Attached: Screenshot_20190915_013035_com.android.chrome.jpg (1080x1920, 542K)

Check your router and modem. Certain ISPs provide the shittiest cheapest modems possible so they tend to overheat or wear down quickly, but they can always replace it for free if you're renting one for them. For me, it's faster to reset the modem and router than it is to wait for it for them to re-establish a new link once I lose internet. I also notice my internet tends to go down more often at certain times during the day or after I've downloaded something big like a modern/recent game or big Windows Update. If you're in an area that's monopolized by an ISP then chances are you guys are all sharing the same bandwidth so more activity from all those people at the same time is gonna hurt. Some ISPs have been rumoured to cut off your internet temporarily if you use it too much even if their contract lets you use unlimited bandwidth and there's no way to prove they do this so they can do it as often as they like and pretend it's faulty equipment. Could also be a physical fault in the line that's run to our building which you can ask a technician to come check it out but good luck with that.

Damn. I was hoping it was something extra-terrestrial in origin. Of course it's something less exciting.

I dont think the issue is with the router,since the internet works fine on my laptop, with both ethernet cable or wi-fi,it's just my damn fucking pc
I also have two local area connections, fucking intel i217-v and qualcom ar8161,yet they both present the same issue

Is there a trick in windows 10 for having a unique image file show up in different folders but not taking up more space with copies?

Attached: 1450974411954.jpg (780x439, 45K)

hardlinks

Maybe your ethernet adaptors need to update their drivers. Or maybe they're faulty? Have you tried disabling one of them? I almost got a motherboard with two ethernet ports but ended up going with the one that had more USB ports.

Is $250 a good deal for a used ASUS U30J on craigslist?

Attached: image0.jpg (483x468, 35K)

Cheers, do you know if there is a simple way of doing that with a lot of individual pictures?
Watched a quick youtube guide and looks like you have to play with command prompt for every link you want to make.

i use this
schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html
provides simple source/paste buttons in explorer context menus
it also puts a shortcut-like subicon on links so you can tell what files are links

How much virtual memory should i allocate? Ive got 16 GB of ram on this machine.

updated the intel one's drivers and so far so good,though its only been 5 mins,hopefully it's fixed now

nah it still does the same shit,fuck this gay earth

Is it time to simply buy a high-end Samsung phone and use that with a wireless keyboard and mouse and an HDMI-attached keyboard as your main machine.

For all general computing (so everything except video work or compiling), my guess is that those Samsung phones are fast enough now. They even run MS Excel.

Can't reinstall windows with a normal ISO or their media creation tool or Rufus using legacy or UEFI. Everything blue screens.

Run a surface test, check S.M.A.R.T

That sucks.

Leave your page file alone.

No way, user. You pick a fixed pagefile size, then allocate ONE CONTIGUOUS BLOCK of HD for it, and your Windows experience will be megabetter.

Why?

That way, the pagefile doesn't waste time dynamically shrinking or expanding its size on your fixed disk.

It happens pretty rarely, but if you have a fixed pagefile in Windows, then a runaway program that is eating up all your computer's resources will hit the pagefile limit and die much earlier than if you let your pagefile grow without limit.

Memeing aside, you really should just let the default settings control it unless you're VERY strapped for space.

Pfft. It's the difference between being Normie scum and being a Windows Pro.
(Yes, Linux people, start making derogatory snorting noises.)

Changing something from its ideal state does not make you a pro. At any rate, if you're using a page file on an HDD in current year, you're doing it wrong.

>if you're using a page file on an HDD in current year, you're doing it wrong.
Teach me, Sensei.

Attached: Teach Me Sensei.gif (369x539, 130K)

Pretty straightforward. Boot drive should be an SSD on your daily driver, page file should default to there. Problem solved.

So you prefer an unoptimised pagefile with poor performance being masked by an SSD.
Why not go optimised instead?

"optimised"

See

Is anyone else getting redirected to the Chinese version when opening jenkins.io?
I can't even switch to the English version, it just sends me back to the Chinese version
And I'm in fucking Europe

Greetings from Germany.
Nope, it's just you.
That site works fine auf Englisch for me.

P.S. What are you trying to deploy today?
It's a Sunday, so I assume it's a deployment to PROD that needs to be up and running by Monday Morning during European time.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 11.54.38.png (1281x1346, 1.05M)

What you're saying might have made the slight difference between going super duper slow and extra super duper slow back in the dark, stone age days of offloading ram contents to hard drive. But it ignores the way SSDs work. There's no advantage to assigning a dedicated block, and being contiguous is a thing that doesn't even exist in that context. The default settings allow you to only use the space you need, anything else is just a waste or a chance that your system could crash if you run out of ram.

Just wanted to the check the documentation for how to deploy to WildFly, but then bam, Chinese squiggly lines
Upon further examination, it's probably because the browser I was using (Ungoogled Chromium) was sending zh-TW in the Accept-Language header (after en-US, though), so I guess the site mistook me for a Chinese
What a retarded way to detect locale
Anyway, thanks

You're welcome.
Happy reading!

P.S. I like that your browser supports the Republic of China and not Red China. Well done!

>What a retarded way to detect locale
Why? The header is literally made for that.

True, but Jenkins user has EN listed before ZH in his headers, so jenkins.io should serve up some sweet, sweet EN.

Most browsers send en by default, so I'd make it send the localized version as well if it contains anything but en.

More infuriating are sites that send you a localized version based on your IP address with no way to overwrite it.

>More infuriating are sites that send you a localized version based on your IP address with no way to overwrite it.
No kidding! As an Expat in the NL, I used to get my Google Search served up in Italian. I could never quite figure out what was going on there.

having a really hard time installing linux mint

>if i try to install normally, i just get a black screen when starting up the computer
>to start it up, i need to press "e" when in grub menu and replace quiet splash with no mode set
>linux mint starts up and i can install it, but if i have to restart to complete the installation, its just a black screen again. when i check for drivers, mint offers me no new ones in the driver manager (the website says there should be some there for me, but arent)

is there a solution, here, that i can install and run mint without having to edit the grub menu? or is my computer simply not compatible with mint at all? its weird because i dont have this problem at all with ubuntu installations

cute OP!

What's the best translator extension for Firefox?

Attached: Konohana Kitan - 10 (1280x720 HEVC2 AAC).mkv_00_07_35_[30.04.18_01.37.54].jpg (1280x720, 145K)

Depending on your language pairs, the best plugin in to forget plugins and use the DeepL website.
Seriously, DeepL gets idioms. DeepL knowns legal terms. DeepL knows informal versus formal language registers. DeepL is what Google Translate should be, if only Google Translate didn't suck.

Google Chrome

Please recommend me a distro for a beginner switching to Linux.
I've asked around and read a few articles, and I can't fucking decide between Mint Cinnamon, Manjaro, KDE Neon and Kubuntu. I could just pick one and be done with it but my autism prevents me from that and I'm stuck in analysis paralysis. Please help.

Too bad they don't support Japanese language.

Chrome's translator seems broken in the latest version.

Attached: .jpg (309x108, 5K)

Guys, i have a problem with my CPU fan.

So when you boot it up, everything's fine. Once CPU reaches 80+ degrees (it's a SFF) it starts emitting a strange sound (somewhere around 1.5khz, like a human voice, not a noise) and that sound then stays even when the temps lower back to normal. It disappears when the pc is put on sleep/shut down for at least half an hour.

Backstory:
>Playing AssAss Creed to test the system
>get lost in the game and forgot to check temps and metrics
>all of a sudden PSHWAAAAAAAAAUUUUUM (CPU fan went to gorillion RPM i think)
>it starts emitting the problematic sound
>turn the game off, open Afterburner
>CPU temp over 105 C, it can't measure over it

Did i blow the fan up with overheating? Is that even possible? Pls halp

Did you try cleaning it or checking if the bearings are lubed?

Mint is good.

Can you install some utility so that you can manually control your fan speed, to see if it is the fan itself that is at fault?

How can I stream to my tv from my pc? Its a dumb tv but ive got a chromecast generation 1. Im looking to stream reduxes, so not just small vids

Attached: 1567240746845.jpg (1000x1000, 73K)

Emby
Plex
Kodi
Roku
Should be some chromecast extension

Best software to convert cda to flac?

Attached: 1558524971884.jpg (2000x3000, 641K)

Will PCIe gen. 4 SSD give me balls cancer?

Attached: IMG_20190915_142556_1.jpg (3036x843, 525K)

Only if you start eating the motherboard.

ffmpeg

If they did it would be the only noticeable difference over pci 3

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I want to install Tinder but it's asking for a phone number. For privacy reasons I'm hesitant, but at this point is there any reason to worry about this? I would assume my number is already owned by countless companies already.

I don't want to be one to concede defeat, but at the same time I do wonder if it's worth worrying about. It's just one number in a see of hundreds of millions.

Okay anons i applied for an IT internship at Ford and they handed me a little slip that had a reference number on it. It says please reference number XXXXXXX on careers.ford.com. Am I supposed to go and use that as like a code on an online application? I handed them my resume and we talked for a few minutes then they told me to apply online. I already gave them my stuff so im not sure if im supposed to put my resume up online again or use this number to login or what. I am confused. Probably should have asked the guy.

How do I adjust screen brightness on KDE lock screen? It doesn't let me do that unless I log in.

I need an RSS reader.
>FOSS
>with image support and urls that can be drag-and-dropped to mpv (I guess that disqualifies terminal solutions)
>offline (as in no cloud, accounts or other sync bullshit required; opt-in is fine)
>bonus points for working in web browser (I have a separate firefox profile with several permanent tabs, would be nice to have an RSS reader among those)

I currently have
samsung.com/semiconductor/dram/module/M471B5173QH0-YK0/
in my laptop
Thinking about pairing it with this
amazon.fr/Samsung-1600MHz-ordinateur-portable-sO-dimm/dp/B00ZUI2TJM/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1SKKVJH5E1MT4&keywords=16gb pc3-12800s ddr3 sodimm&qid=1568555322&s=gateway&sprefix=16gb pc,computers,130&sr=8-5
Any advice?
My laptops specifications state this is possible
>● 12288 MB (8192 MB+4096 MB)
Can I actually run 12gb with 8+4 with the two?
Or should I just go with
amazon.fr/G-Skill-F3-1600C9D-16GRSL-16GB-DDR3-1600/dp/B00EOTYZOA/ref=asc_df_B00EOTYZOA/?tag=googshopfr-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=48666738926&hvpos=1o9&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2043722882436124648&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9056144&hvtargid=pla-78991617926&psc=1

With the death of flash, again, for real, this time for sure, believe me guys, how do I make the same shitty games newgrounds has but with Animate? Is there a program similar to it?

Use a javascript game engine. Plenty of them around. Even the unreal engine can export to html these days.

Why can I not download webms from Jow Forums/nel anymore? I get this error every time I try.

Attached: downloaderror.png (438x133, 5K)

Can you get decent speakers for 250 eur or below?
Also what's a good TV for 500 eur or so? Mainly gonna be used for watching anime and such.

is the asus rog strix scar 3 a good deal?

what is the most effective way to collect (you)s?

Gaming laptops are always a terrible deal.

So due to various problems I'm looking into replacing my motherboard, but it's an older one and I'm not sure the replacement I've found(Same model but according to Amazon it's an "update" and it doesn't look exactly the same) will be compatible. If the MB isn't recognized as the same one, will it at least boot up to Windows?

if i have 7,35 for 1 kg how do i calculate how much a 285 grams would cost?

plug that into a calculator

I'm currently running 2x 2TB WD Green (about 4 years old I think, haven't noticed a problem with them)

One of those I use to store Steam/Origin/Epicgames libraries which is taking up more and more space. I'm considering upgrading to a bigger WD Black HDD (4 TB or more)

Same for the 2nd HDD. The 2nd HDD I use mostly for torrenting, saving series, films, music. Is it worth upgrading this to a WD Black as well or should I consider upgrading to a bigger/newer WD Green?

ye but what do i type?
if i try to divide 7,35 / 0,285 i 25,789473(..)