Windows vs Mac for programming

I've heard a lot about both sides, but I suppose it comes down with personal preference? Is this true?I want to make a big investment towards one of the platforms. I just want to get an "expert" opinion on the matter.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 104K)

Mac is POSIX, it comes with clang and you can run Torch on it.

GNU/linux

Mac OS probably out of the two

Linux and Mac are the standard for programming. On windows you have to do a fuck ton of hacky shit to set up your environment and in the end you just end up using Mac/Linux tools and emulating Linux.

Linux or windows, windows has the biggest software library, iShit is just if you're retarded and want to have to jump hoops every single time.

Neither is acceptable. Use Linux.

I program where my anticuated school lets me. Have to have Windows laptop, windows programs... otherwise I'd only touch beautiful MacOS.

>windows has the biggest software library
This is for programming. No one cares about your video games.

>This is for programming. No one cares about your video games.
This. Windows has absolutely nothing for programming while most Linux distros already come with the necessary libraries and tools and the Linux terminal is much easier and more convenient. The whole reason WSL exists is because Windows is utter garbage for most development.

you can easily code on Windows
Jetbrains products will take care of absolute everything for you. with WSL you have everything from all worlds. And with actual working virtual desktops you can have god tier productivity too. Why would anyone doubt that Windows is great dev platform?

Imagine thinking about games outside of /v/... the absolute state of wintoddlers.

Sounds like hacky garbage that doesn't work as intended. Like all Microsoft software.

>Sounds like hacky garbage
you meant most linux distros?

The ones that power 90% of webservers in the world? I doubt it.

>mac
>programming
lol maybe if you are a css "programmer" tranny

Every language has the best IDEs on Windows

t. NEET

If you want best platform, then I recommend macOS.

Reasons:
1) Best UNIX support!
Most Apps and Programs run very efficiently and you can also develop iOS and iPadOS Apps! (Android also!)

2) Intuitive UI and very stable.
Every program follows same UI Design as per Apple Developer Guidelines. There are no crappy hacks and everything works as expected!

3) Best iPhone and iPad support!
All your content gets automatically synced with iCloud and you can also you Airdrop to directly share everything!

I recommend iMac with minimum i5 and 32 GB RAM, because it gives best performance using any IDE such as XCode, Android Studio, Unity Engine, Jetbrains, etc.

Good luck OP!

OSX.

>IDEs are the only thing you need
Guess how I know you're a neet

>IDEs

This, legitimately the only reason I prefer MacOS. It's stable and no matter what I develop in it, I know it will work on Linux. Jumping interchangeably between OS's is important and saves me headaches. Meanwhile I have to either compile or do a hack job to port it over to Windows because Windows.
I'm not one for iPhone or Apple product integration. But I can see the use case

Depends.
If you want to develop games, sadly we are still sucking microsoft's cock in 2019 for many things.
If you want to make web,server, or any kind of software development, linux.
I don't know what you could use macs for, unless developing for other macs.
Definitely get a cheap machine and put windows or linux in that, if you need anything bigger then get something bigger, but on a need basis, not an assumption basis.

>Linux and Mac are the standard for programming.
>Mac
>standard for programming

Attached: 1508506489408.png (915x875, 359K)

>POSIX
>not standard of programming
>animetard

It is a standard. Most web devs that aren't indians will use MacOS or Linux.

>I don't know what you could use macs for, unless developing for other macs.
Retards. macOS is Unix. Anything you can do on Linux you can do on macOS.

keep dreaming

Attached: 2018.png (694x329, 27K)

/thread

Now compare their technical literacy, quality of work and salaries. It will probably be Mac>Linux>>>Windows. Windows web devs are usually barely employed.

Linux

Attached: 1545013128130.png (267x188, 5K)

>Most web devs that aren't indians

So a minority of web devs?

Imagine knowing this little about the industry.

Who the fuck cares which OS you're using to write shit, it's like you guys are too lazy to port stuffs.

I port stuff to everything except Windows. Fuck that.

spbp

I don't understand how people developed anything on Windows before WSL. There's so many hoops to jump through. At the end of the day you just end up doing this
Is it so much more worth it to take up all that time just to stick with Windows?

only poojeet tier companies use windows for programming

hello sir please do the needful to secure business visa so employment may work

MacOS has the legacy of NeXT in it. NeXT is where the fucking www was invented, along with Doom.

Windows is where gay shit was invented

>OS X
Will deliver a unix like environment and also a stable end-user experience as well. Really good work on with it. Lot of dev focused Apps worth using like Git Tower, SQLPro Studio, and so on. Lot of Linux tools work over there as well and Docker For Mac works fine.
> Windows
If you're working on .NET then good luck.

This
No you can program 100% natively just fine on Windows, all you have to do is install Pajeet Studio anone :^)

No, I'm talking about IDEs and tutorials, sorry if I have expressed myself wrongfully.
Not to mention, 90% of the market is Windows, so having a real machine should help with testing, as fixing linux bugs it's easier in my experience

Are you using Linux at work?
Are you a paid and non-freelance developer?

The Mac Bash shell is over ten years old. It's on version 2 while the latest is version 4. Apple won't update it to a modern version for some ass-backwards reason. You have to do a bunch of hacky shit to get a recent Bash version shell. It's not worth it.

It's easier just to install git Bash for windows or use the Linux subsystem. Windows 100%.

Move to Washington, it’s the norm.
Macs are the norm

Neither, I'm just a student I've done a few internships and the like. There are just so many counter opinions about which platform to invest time and money into it's quite difficult to understand who's correct. In terms of a software engineering standpoint is my question. I understand web based development is much more suited to Mac.

have you ever programmed?

>Move to Washington
Disregard that, we're full. Especially if you're from California.

Just the basics I would say Java, C++, a bit of web development. Of course this field is very self taught so I want to make the plunge into one of these platforms since just vaguely know either or isn't helpful. I'm still kinda "shit" pardon my language. Sorry, for the vague and broad question with lack of background.

I've heard Pennsylvania is where it's at anyway

>guaranteed replies: the bait

Nicely done desu.

Attached: 2pznhh.jpg (460x259, 28K)

>git tower
user i hope you don't actually use this

Attached: 1554719390923.jpg (999x965, 158K)