What will be the minimum RAM required to surf the internet and write text documents in 2030?

Attached: Swissbit_2GB_PC2-5300U-555.jpg (3938x2054, 3.67M)

8gb for sure.

128 gigs

128Gb HBM soon

The minimum right now is 1GB. It's going to stay that way for a while.

Would it actually be plausible to just have blazing fast storage medium that could just be used as whatever in the future?

Probably is now, tech wise.

HBM etc.

6 gigagoys

embedded CPU RAM

512 Gb

throughput wise we're there
but getting all of that shit to work low-latency, that's the trickier part. We can manage a good few number of sticks (each with a cap on capacity), but unbounding that capacity is tougher.

DDR5 will be 32 GB/s per channel. PCIe 4.0 SSD will apparently have "up to 4.8 GB/s read and 4.0 GB/s write". So still a while to go. And that's ignoring the fact that access times for RAM are about 1000 times faster.

hopefully i get to have PC with 1000 GB of RAM u.u

Attached: RBmExhkmpF-6.png (300x250, 43K)

Don't you mean 1024

theoretically 128gb but in practice the memory management of browsers will be so bad and webpages will be so bloated with javascript that the answer is technically 0kb, because since 2022 it has been impossible to load a web page due to bloat.

>He doesn't browse with noscript
I turned it off once to see what normies see, never again.

For practical purposes you'll still have to enable at least one script to make sites work (due to shit devs), and once you do that you're going to get 129gb of spaghetti code to the face

16MB + wget is good!

At least 512Gb for sure.

I'm still doing fine with 3gb ddr2 ram.

>The minimum right now is 1GB
I'm not sure you can use Windows on that anymore.
Also I'm pretty sure you can't browse "Modern" web pages with 1 GB of RAM.

who said anything about windows?

2 or 4 GB

8 TB of ram would be enough

>caring about anything else

Linux won't exist in 2030

RAM will be integrated in you SoC by then so if you have a system that's still allowed to run in 2030 (i.e. the keys hardcoded in your trusted platform haven't expired yet), you're good.

By 2030 JavaScript will be so taxing on your PC you will need a CPU that has specific JS instruction set much like AVX and SSE etc..

More codemonkeys developing software, more RAM required to do anything.

By then, personal computing will be a service. The hardware you lease is a dumb terminal and everything will work flawlessly as long as you pay for the needed subscriptions.

OK, Puppy uses around 150 MB, that leaves ~700 MB for a web browser without any video playback on any tab, and multitasking is next to impossible.

Dunno about the minimum, but in 2030, 640G ought to be enough for anyone.

4gb at the very least. since 2gb is reserved by windows

very few things have actually become more "ram intensive" as time has gone on. the big one that has is web browsers and bloated websites. that's what ultimately fucked us: browsing the web now uses more resources than an entire OS with programs running a few years ago. if the web was more lightweight, you could absolutely get by using 2gb ram until 2025.

Just loading drivers and shit to view youtube properly is well over that.

640 KB. It ought to be enough for anybody.

Sure kid.

Attached: 1563302523120.jpg (1024x1013, 111K)

you'll need at most 4 gb but no more

in 2010 I think 2gb was needed to work well, meaning a few tabs and programs open while not being slowed down
now it has very slowly moved to 4gb
if requirements for basic tasks and web browsing continue to slow down at this pace it shouldn't be more than 8gb in 2030 desu

you could easily get away with 1gb on something like xubuntu 16.04 and firefox
it idles at around 240-260mb and firefox brings that up to about 900mb with 1-2 tabs open
definitely doable without going super low resource and comprising on a modern experience

will be the same as today. there's no new technology on the horizon that will be shaking up the state of the web any time soon to even need an excessive amount of ram. browsers will be the only things that'll become ever more bloated and requiring more resources to perform the same tasks as a decade prior. we've already witnessed that happen with chrome and firefox so the future isn't looking too great in that regard.

Latency is a bitch.

1 GQbits

I think 6GB is peak ram and it won't grow much from there. Reasons:

At 6GB there isn't really much more people want from their computers that is limited by memory. So it's questionable whether there will be more ram developed, since there isn't a need for it.

Most programs still haven't transitioned fully from 32 bit to 64 bit programs, so we're not even really utilizing more than 4 gb

Pic related, by 2013 the average computer had 4gb of ram, it's 2019 and a lot of low end laptops are still being sold with 4gb or ram

in 2017 according to the graph the average ram on people's computers is 6gb in 2012 it was just under 4gb. however, in 5 year period previous to that, from 2007 to 2012, average ram per PC more than doubled from 1.5 gb to 4gb

before that there was exponential growth from 96 when companies were advertising 8mb ram as the standard and 4mb ram. so there was a 1000 fold increase in the 12 year period between 96 and 2012 - but in the 6 year period between 2012 and 2018 it hasn't even doubled.

So this tells us that moores law is slowing and future growth in computing power will not be as dramatic as past growth

Attached: RAMAvg.png (480x287, 10K)

2 Gb with a lightweight DE such as MATE or XFCE.

Many phones with 1GB of RAM browse the net just fine.

Attached: Areyoukeepingupwiththecommodore.jpg (666x668, 81K)

Linux won't exist in 2020

I have a first-gen Moto G with 1GB RAM and it most certainly does not browse the web "just fine", even after ditching the shitty old stock Android for LineageOS.

>At 6GB there isn't really much more people want from their computers that is limited by memory.
You underestimate the power of poo coders and their ability to consume every last resource and demand more all to animate a fucking advertisement.

A better question is this: What would the minimum RAM required to surf the internet and write text documents be today if Pajeets, Chinese, and JavaScript "coders" of any race were forbidden from writing code of any kind for any project on pain of death?

I'm not sure, but it would probably be measured in MB and not GB.