If you needed speed what would you use excluding C/C++/Assembly/Rust?

Attached: sonic-bird.jpg (544x544, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.carlesmateo.com/2014/10/13/performance-of-several-languages/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bash. Or Java, because it's cross platform and not as shit as C#. Maybe Go. If you need speed but refuse to use fast languages then you obviously have other priorities. Just avoid scripting languages like Python.

D, Haskell, Julia, maybe Golang.

forth

ocaml

Cython

Ada, Fortran,

Fortran obviously.
It has been the language of choice for some of the most important software for numerical mathematics after all...

Probably Haskell, making most things strict gives you a big performance boost and thread pool lets you go parallel quite easily

Fortran is underrated because its not queer.

Dlang is the correct answer

meth

>Just avoid scripting languages like Python.
>Bash.
are you even trying? you realize Bash is orders of magnitude, I repeat, orders of magnitude slower, than even Python?

Attached: 1542569042879.gif (230x230, 1.54M)

New Yu-Gi-Oh! inspired threads.
Make it happen people.

Agreed, comes to mind as the next in the bunch listed in OP.

I'm thinking of picking up D, what's it like?

C++ seems notgreat and I'm looking for something else.

Why isn't D more popular, I'm just wondering if there is some obvious flaw or if it just doesn't have critical mass.

>magnitudes slower
>already finished before python even starts
Are you even trying?

lisp

>Why isn't D more popular
D is an in-between language cornered by bigger contenders. There are no obvious reasons to pick it up.
Only with the other languages crumbling under their feature bloat and D compilers maturing does it gain traction.

I see, so it doesn't do the things C is used for quite as well as C does, and doesn't do the things C++ is used for as well as C++ does, that makes sense. C++ certainly does have a lot of features.

>Only with the other languages crumbling under their feature bloat and D compilers maturing does it gain traction.
Is this meant hypothetically or are you describing that this is happening?

bash its just a series of programs that pass between them their input output, you could do the computation in a compiled file and let bash handle the handshakes.

anything that targets LLVM.

I do believe that this is happening. Slowly. But there's no telling how far it will go.

there's a huge difference between sh, bash and piping outputs between programs.
I know benchmarks shouldn't be taken literally but this should be good evidence for my claims: blog.carlesmateo.com/2014/10/13/performance-of-several-languages/

Isn't that Yu-Gi-Oh card?

Noob here. Aren't the programmers of a compiler responsible for speed and you could have super fast programs in any language?

Some languages are easier to make fast than others.
For example, because of how dynamic Python is, it basically has no room at all for optimisations, like you can't just optimise a variable to only be of type int even if that's actually the case during runtime, since the language has nothing to prove this (at least, not without extreme effort or a change to the language itself), so it needs to be prepared to take literally any type.
Something like Java, with its static type system, can optimise variables based on their types since it has enough information to prove it won't break your code.

Attached: SonicBird-GLD1-EN-C-LE.png (400x580, 612K)

its evidence that the author is misusing the scope of that language, if its for computation the don't use it, open a socket a pipe do some shared memory what ever... and then you pass the output of that program to another rather than passing data hundreds of times between several programs that are unaware of each other and have no ability to be optimized.

ignore your stupid restriction and use C/C++/Assembly (I don't know anything about Rust other than Jow Forums memes so not that)

Nim

Attached: 1565480978304.jpg (730x1031, 112K)

>c#
>not cross platform
also everything works out of the box in c#, in java you need to install different shit and spend a month to setup a project

based nimfriend

underrated post

dup .

moar waifu material maki

Attached: 1566395396709.jpg (800x545, 220K)

Julia or Ada

If I needed ultimate portability: FreePascal or FreeBasic
Otherwise: Haskell even though I don't know much about it

yes

I never imagined someone would suggest FreeBasic here, I wish I had time to try it along with FreePascal...

C#

OP said speed, not lag.

Attached: 1538143303183.png (1578x1668, 187K)