Was thinking of making a desktop app chan browser

was thinking of making a desktop app chan browser
got bored part way through mockup but does this sound like something anyone would use?

Attached: mockup.jpg (1920x1080, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sciter.com/
github.com/Boscop/web-view)
github.com/wtheisen/TerminusBrowser
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

make it in electron and then we'll talk about me designing the logo

that is actually what i was thinking of using

then you should actually kill yourself, holy shit

ive never used it before, whats wrong with it?

Make it run from the terminal with image and WEBM support and I'm all for using it

DOMO, JAVASCRIPT NINJA DESU.

BASED

if you don't know, and you're planning on using it without even knowing anything about it, then you should double kill yourself

why wouldnt i use a random project i thought of to learn something new

summer's over, kiddo

not an argument

So you want to embed an entire web browser into a dedicated application for a website. Why shouldn't people just use a web browser?

It's literally Google Chrome

What's the point of making a client to replace web browsers when it IS a web browser

thats why i was asking if anyone would even bother to use it
i can add some simple things so it has slightly more functionality than just web browser + Jow Forums-x but its not going to be crazily different
i don't really care what i use to do it, any suggestions?

>any suggestions?
Depends on what language you prefer to work in, and how much effort you're willing to put into design

Jow Forums website uses javascript.
why would you make a NATIVE DESKTOP APP in CORE JAVAscript when the site is the same only you can use it with different sites in the same chromium instance.

i have used c# java then webshit like angularjs and react
i dont have really a preference but was planning to use something new at least

Holy fuck, don't listen to them. They would be happy only if you made it x86 assembler. Electron is perfectly fine on modern machines. It won't be as fast as C++ but perfectly fine for this app, and you'll be done with it hundred times sooner. And you'll learn new technology, and that's always a plus.

i dont know maybe electron is overkill for something this simple anyway

Hm, so it sounds like Electron (or a similar alternative) is straight up your alley.

Well look, if that's the case just assess need. If what you're looking to do can't easily be done with a browser extension, then yeah feel free to make a client. Just know that people won't want to use an Electron client over Chrome/Firefox/Etc unless it brings a lot to the table.

It's more than necessary, sure, but it won't manifest itself in any way. Electron apps load blazing fast on modern PCs.

Why? qtchan already exists and is fine. Go contribute to it.

i'll call you a faggot unless you code using turbo pascal you ported yourself to temple os using native holly c syntax
you can't add networking other than by dialup you code yourself an interface for

>Electron apps load blazing fast
no they dont, rajesh
you have no excuse for not knowing c(++)

dont like c/cpp

I think everyone on Jow Forums has at some point had the idea of creating a desktop Jow Forums app.
The big question is what can it offer that the browser can't on a desktop with good internet connection?
Improved UI is something 4chanx and oneechan offer (and plenty other scripts) and other than that I don't see what else can be offered.
If you can come up with something interesting it can do and you know what kind of user would use it, you're on the right track.

if you are using linux you dont need that since kuroba and the others already work on anbox.

well i can think of functionality that i personally would use that you can't really do in a browser extension or script (or at least would be a pain to do with a script)
i just dont know if other people would bother to use it so it kind of feels like a waste to make it just for myself
i might do it anyway though

well? what's the functionality you would use but don't know if anyone else would use?
besides, you're not making money out of it, if you benefit from it then it's worth it, in practical terms it wouldn't matter if 1 person downloaded your program or 100 people, other than for your ego, I suppose.

It adds 300MB of RAM usage for no reason. It's bloated.

GNU/emacs

holy shit kys

Ya I would be. Jow Forums is ugly as sin, using the clover phone app makes it a million times better. IMO.

yeah good point
its hard to describe the functionality i have in mind
how about proton native? sounds interesting
ill post about it again in the future when ive actually made something then

I've been looking for a functioning desktop client desu

>proton native
nevermind it has no way to style things which is a big part of what i want
i'll keep thinking

>electron
Lol I'm not downloading another web browser just for Jow Forums. However, I would be interested in a Jow Forums package for Emacs...

yeah i've given up on electron already looking for decent alternatives

>x86 assembler
m68k or go away

focus on image browsing, since that's the most lacking part using the desktop site

>decent alternative
sciter.com/
It’s not FOSS, but it’s far lighter than Electron.

Here’s some advice though OP. You’re obviously new to programming, probably a teenager. You won’t finish this project. You probably won’t even get very far, and then you’ll regret showing off an idea that you never followed through on.

In the future don’t show something off before you’ve actually finished it, or at least gotten close.

im neither new to programming nor a teenager
i have multiple other projects i completed in the past and even if i didn't complete this one why would i feel bad about posting a shitty mockup on here lmao

what do you mean? like an image gallery mode?

Whats the point of using electron for a Jow Forums app©®™, when i can simply use a web browser?

Looks nice actually but dont do it in fucking electron for crying out loud that shit is terrible. Would appreciate a linix version though.

ask the fucking slack team

yeah i'm thinking it will be one of sciter / webview (e.g. github.com/Boscop/web-view) / avalonia

Make sure you use Rust and only publish compiled binaries for OSx.

Not OP, but how do apps like Clover work? Do they take and reformat the normal webpage or do they go through the API that returns JSON? Getting the JSON is easy but then you still have to copy whatever the normal webpage does to post, and you can't get thread updates as deltas if you use the API, you have to redownload the whole thread at once.

Make this a website where so you can have all your Jow Forums shit in one tab. That would be nice honestly. Not installing another program though, that's retarded.

nvm, just checked and the HTML page Jow Forums uses the API too, and theres an If-Modified-Since header you send that makes it so you don't redownload the thread if nothing changed.

I thought that was sublime text for a second

Good news, OP. Such a thing already exists! It's called a web browser.

>want a desktop Jow Forums client for weak hardware
>other people actually want fucking electron

github.com/wtheisen/TerminusBrowser

some autists already made a command line browser

digits confirm.
qtchan is based and redpilled.

>expecting an argument from Jow Forums
back to plebbit nigger

>everyones as retarded and underage as me
back to

based

>a separate web browser app to browse a website

Attached: 8nRqoXW.jpg.png (800x729, 48K)