Would an airplane be able to take off from a treadmill or not?

Would an airplane be able to take off from a treadmill or not?

Attached: threadmill.jpg (300x300, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YORCk1BN7QY
youtube.com/watch?v=eyUY3HVek5Q&t=231s
mythresults.com/episode97
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, because that's not how lift works.

you know the ground that real planes take off from is technically moving too, right?

The wings would hit the part that holds up the control panel and it would crash.

It will not fit between studs of treadmill

It won't take off because it's not a real plane.

Then the only things that would move are the wheels. Airplanes don't fly with wheels, they fly by shoving air under the wings.

It'll just fall off XD

Airplanes don't put any power to the wheels, so if we don't take friction into account then it shouldn't matter.
Aircraft need airspeed to take off, not ground speed.

depends which aircraft, classical fixed wing nah, jet assisted then yeah thats what they make it for - shitty runways.

if it were windy enough I guess

How young are you that you haven't seen the Mythbusters episode on the topic?

I still don't get how it's possible for giant heavy metal planes to fly just by boosting air or whatever
what the hell man airplanes are alien tech

Take a sheet of paper, hold it up in the air horizontally and release it. It won't fall normally, air will add resistance because of the paper's surface area.
Now take the same paper and instead of releasing it, throw it horizontally. It will glide forward for a little bit before losing balance, flopping and falling.
That's kinda how planes work, but they are designed perfectly in such a way that it doesn't flop and can maintain a steady thrust forwards so that it doesn't lose speed.

This, man. Planes are absolutely fucking magical to me, no matter how much I try to learn about them. They're just fucking amazing.

>Would an airplane be able to take off from a treadmill or not?
a treadmill would not aid or impede an airplane taking off
the plane will require the same amount of ground clearance on a treadmill or on a tarmac, a treadmill will not reduce ground space requirement

How hard is it to become an airbus driver?
Will SJW compromise that "sitting at screen" job?

Attached: 9Y-PBM1.jpg (800x598, 282K)

the was a piston engined, propellor driven aircraft they used, if you were more familiar with the physical nature of how aircraft function then you'd realize that its not a good comparison with a jet engine powered aircraft. jet power and piston power aren't even measured in analagous units, jet power is measured in newtons and pistons in horsepower.

filling the cockpits with affirmative action hires could end up doing a lot to reduce carbon emissions

Because they'll crash before taking off?

only if they can get the ground crew or the stewardesses help them figure out how to start the engines

No.

Mythbusters did it and no, it didn't take off.

you're really, really stupid. I'm not even giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're pretending to be retarded. I hope you can feel my second hand embarrassment from here.

If there's a strong enough headwind

Ignoring the fact that you would just essentially dyno an airplane, theoretically wouldn't the g-forces be immense?

If it is a really big treadmill and it is accelerating to greatly overcome the backwards pull of the treadmill, sure why not?

Dont planes need like air speed/wind/air resistance to generate lift?
Because if you're on a treadmill, you're not going to be generating any relative air speed so I'd assume it wouldnt go anywhere?

Isnt this why aircraft carriers need that slingshot thing?

No it wouldnt, you need velocity relative to the wind and its 0

planes require air to be moving across the wings in order for the wings to generate lift.

without airflow the wheels will never leave the ground

Attached: 586px-Equal_transit-time_NASA_wrong1_en.svg.png (586x198, 14K)

If the wheels were in reverse (to go in the same direction as the treadmill) it could.

Yes. Pic related explains why

Attached: treadmill_diagram.png (450x186, 11K)

Don't listen to , it's not enough for wings to be slicing through the air. Instead hold that paper limp and blow over the top of it and the paper will rise. This is because of air pressure. With no wind, air chaotically moves about, bumping into both the top and the bottom of the paper such that they cancel out and gravity takes over. When you blow over the paper, the air above the paper moves past the sheet with little time to bump into it compared to the stationary (slower) air below it. You have decreased the air pressure on top of the wing and the air below it lifts the system.
The shape of a wing bunches up air at the front of the wing before letting it zoom past the top of it. The air at the bottom doesn't get this and flows past the wing normally. Again, the faster air on top of the wing has less time to bump into it, decreasing its air pressure relative to the bottom of the wing thus generating lift.

no

explain?

the planes fly due to specifically shaped wings moving through air, not by rotating their wheels.

The belt of the treadmill would be moving air directly in contact with the belt. Surely if it spun fast enough, it could create an air current capable of lifting a plane?

Welcome back to 2008 the greater years of the internet.

if it had enough momentum

anyone thinking it will fly has to be a troll or retarded

Yes. Turn on the little fan.

Attached: treadmill2.jpg (960x623, 66K)

Lift is generated by air moving past the wings. Spinning your wheels in place means there is literally no air moving relative to you at all.

No. You are. Planes don't gain speed on the ground by spinning their wheels, but by using their jets which push them.

Imagine your toy plane on a treadmill and you push it by putting your hands on top of it and sliding it forward. The plane will just slide up the treadmill as it's wheels spin faster. Same thing for the plane.

You do know that the ground moving underneath has nothing to do with it taking off right?

As the planes prop or jet engines power up it propels the plane forwards. The wheels on the plane are not motored. That's why they tow planes at the airport. It would take off just fine.

oh yeah sorry i forgot about that boss

Then why do helicopters hover? Quad copter? You're simply wrong.

jesus christ you guys are fucking retarded.

no, IRL the ground is not moving in relation to the plane, because the plane is also moving with the earth.

it wouldnt work because the plane uses the air pressure under the wings to fly.

so unless the treadmill would also move the air above it, it would NOT take off.

you fucking nigger retards.. how hard would it be to google how a fucking plane works you bunch of lazy children

All good I'm not trolling. I've been wrong with simple shit too. Myth busters, though autistic, did a good job proving this point.

Money is more of an issue than SJWs
t. 49 hour student

The wheels aren't being driven, the airframe is pushed by the engines. All the wheels would do will be to spin faster to account for the treadmill as the aircraft begins to move forward

youtu.be/YORCk1BN7QY

Golly gee it's like the laws of physics don't seem to care what you say.

Because instead of the air moving past the wing, you're moving the wing through the air (by spinning it). It's the same effect.

SeeSeriously watch it. It's really cool.

Yes it will take off. Don't believe the brainwashed liberals denying it.

Sure, but the point is that there is basically no air moving relative to you at all. The fact that it's the engines/jets pushing you forward instead of the wheels makes no difference.
Sure, engine sucks air through, but that's not going over the wings.

Lift is generated by the speed difference between air and wing, which is the crucial difference here.
On a normal lift oft the plane doesn't just propel itself in relation to the ground, but also in relation to the air, which is what causes the lift.

You are severely retarded and lack a very basic understanding of physics.

I'm a helicopter and prop, they are the wings moving the air over other wings. That's how the plane and helicopters work. Physics is really really interesting. I hope you study. It's really fascinating.

The reason the plane takes of is not about the speed differential to the ground, but because of the speed differential to the surrounding air.

See my link please. Watch the video.

It'd need a fan throwing some air towards the plane's nose and wings so it can take off.

Exactly. It's got nothing at all to do with thrust. Well in a plane it uses thrust as the difference instead of zero point energy.

The plane takes off via thrust of the engines plus the wind in a heading that makes the wind blow towards the plane, and then once it reaches Vr, velocity of rotation, the pilot makes the nose go up and the plane fucks off to it's destination while keeping Vy, rate of climb
it's not that hard
youtube.com/watch?v=eyUY3HVek5Q&t=231s

Attached: 20190519_132955.jpg (4128x3096, 2.63M)

Irrelevant.
Here the air is moved relative to the plane, which is why there is lift.

The only important question is, does air move fast relative to the plane.
Whether that is caused by a conveyor belt transporting it, or its jet engines is irrelevant.

The ground moving under the fluid, in this case the air, is irrelevant. For the plane to stand still the air would need to move as fast in the direction of the ground.

Learn about fluid dynamics.

Nope, it needs some vertical speed to boost air into turbines, also vertical momentum to take off the ground

>fluid dynamics
Commie propaganda. Gender fluidity is a lie.

See the video here

youtu.be/YORCk1BN7QY

You're wrong but it's okay. Nobody is perfect. It's a strange concept I know. Took me a while to get it too.

kek

Attached: 1560285732696.gif (500x380, 169K)

You're the one with the sex addled brain if that's the first thing to pop into your head. Maybe that's why you can't understand why youtu.be/YORCk1BN7QY happens.

I think I get it now. The wheels don't do jack shit (I guess obviously), the thrust is generated by the engine/propeller forcing air backwards at hihg speed. The wings are designed such that in this airflow, they bring the plane upward.
The ground is totally irrelevant.

Yes?

>people posting the same "explanations" multiple times
>not realizing it's a "troll question"
>feeling pride for "explaining" something as stupid as this

These are actually somewhat dated understandings of aircraft aerodynamics. The majority of lift is now understood to come from the wing's angle of attack, its angle relative to airflow, not from the asymmetric shape and its resultant high/low pressure areas. (Bernoulli's principle.) You do get SOME lift from the latter but wing shape is more about effective AOA and how it controls airflow and prevents boundary layer turbulence and separation.

You know that thing you probably did as a kid where you stuck your hand out the car window and could make it go up and down by tilting it back and forth? That's pretty much how airplane wings work.

lets be fair here the word fluidity has lost some of it's dignity since at least the election

Mostly correct. The wheels just rotate freely, like the wheels on a shopping cart or whatever. The ground isn't totally irrelevant, it has an effect on airflow around the plane (literally called 'ground effect") and causes it to make more lift and have less drag when very low, but it's got nothing to do with propulsion.

The plane is moving forward, which is exactly whats not supposed to do, the belt is just not pulling with enough force

>this is your brain on MAGA internet

None of what you write makes any sense.

Firstly, air is usually a gas, not a fluid.
Secondly
>The ground moving under the fluid, in this case the air, is irrelevant.
That is what I said, what matters is the speed differential between plane and air.

>For the plane to stand still the air would need to move as fast in the direction of the ground.
This doesn't make any sense.

>Learn about fluid dynamics.
In fact I have. I know about kinetic theory, the derivation of the Boltzmann equation and how you deduce from that the macroscopic equations like the Euler equation and it's special cases.

well thats when the shit really started to get pushed hard
nothing to do with MAGA, just college professors being shitheads

Nobody gives a shit about it other than MAGA Fox news twitter.

yes the mythbusters did this one

Nope, they didn't.
They fixed the plane on the belt, which makes all the difference.

Only if gravity is asleep

if you've actually been to a college they push this shit on you
it's sickening

Yeah I've been 5 years in college and it wasn't really an issue.

For practical purposes, air is considered a fluid at lower altitudes, below 18k ft. or so. Says so right in my PHAK (FAA pilot's handbook.)

Mythbusters fucked up because they assumed people thought the question was if it could take off from a treadmill-like runway at all. Of course it would fucking take off since the wheels are free-moving and the plane gives no fucks about whether the ground underneath it is moving forwards/backwards as long as it itself if moving forwards.
What they failed to understand is that people are fucking retarded and thought a plane on an actual treadmill would just hover in midair if the treadmill was turned on at max speed and the plane remained stationary, not to mention that if it moved forward at all its wings would hit the sides of the treadmill.
The whole experiment was unnecessary because the "explanation" was lost on the kind of normies that made OP's pic.

>it wasn't really an issue.
I wonder why...

Maybe I didn't do gender studies? Please tell me how this affected you personally in college user.

The distinction really quite "fluid" and for one purpose it might be better to think about it as a fluid, or as a gas, even under the same circumstances.
But I doubt many physicists would consider air at room temperature and pressure as a fluid, as it fulfills all practical properties a gas should posses, long distances between particles and even distribution among space.

Physicists might not, but aerodynamicists and particularly aero engineers do, since it flows around and interacts with aerodynamic surfaces exactly the way you'd expect from a fluid.

no because once the jets reach forward propulsion speed the wings get ripped off going through the treadmill arch.

Yes it would, because jets don't fucking accelerate with wheels, they use propulsion.

Yes, I said that for different purposes thinking of it as a fluid is perfectly reasonable.
And again, the distinction isn't all that solid.

The reason probably is that for gasses you often can use simpler models, but that for the aerodynamics of planes certain simplifications used simply aren't valid, so thinking of the air as a fluid is very reasonable.

>Yes it would, because jets don't fucking accelerate with wheels, they use propulsion.

The treadmill exerts a force equal to the propulsion though, how it could even move?

Lift is generated by the speed differential between surrounding sir and the wings.

>it didn't take off
mythresults.com/episode97

That force doesn't stop the plane because wheels are spinning freely.
No matter how stupid of a condition you make up, you won't generate a valid formulation of the problem where plane can't take off.

You'd have to put it the other way around and on a much longer treadmill but basically that's how shorter aircraft carriers work

The plane won't take if if the surrounding air is moving with little speed differential to the plane.

And how exactly a treadmill is supposed to do that?