So, which is the best normie / beginner distro?

So, which is the best normie / beginner distro?

Attached: 1568746416241.jpg (1240x406, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=245082
debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/10.1.0-live nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ubuntu just werks :/

Attached: gentoo-g.png (180x180, 16K)

Just pick any

Probably Manjaro, I just wish it wasn't separate from Arch repo-wise

if you're coming from Windows, Mint.
If you're coming from OSX, Ubuntu.
I've never used Manjaro so I can't comment on it.

Linux mint is garbage, cinnamon is good but better on every other distro which is fucking funny. The developer is a trannie lover...

Manjaro is based as fuck but there's better out there. Learn real Arch though if you're serious.

Ubuntu used to be good before unity, before getting woke and hiring a lesbian to make all the decisions. She goes by the handle we elky. Complete blue haired feminist.

All the normie distros are good for one thing, testing to see what desktop you like, apps you like etc. if Linux will work on that particular hardware.

Then you take that knowledge and install a real distro like Gentoo or Arch.

Manjaro is good to see if a laptop will work with Arch. Less time wasted etc

>Then you take that knowledge and install a real distro like Gentoo or Arch.

This. So fucking much. Anybody who tells you differently is a fucking liar who doesn't understand Linux.

>OP asks for normie beginner distro
>just learn arch or gentoo bro
>caring about lesbians and "trannie lovers"

what if I care about effeciency, speed and reliability and not having to enter lines of code into a kernel to set shit up?

the people who don't understand why Linux isn't used by normies more are the people who reccomend their autistic OSs to normies like us who just want an alternative to Windows and OSX because we hate propriatary software and bloatware. Not because we want to learn how to fucking code.

Mint.

Then use Arch as it literally requires none of that. It's free, we don't owe you Jack shit kid.

People who care about efficiency use Gentoo.

Oh you mean you want it spoon-fed to you? Buy a Mac. It's literally better in every way in the way you described. No installation required.

How about I fuck your wife so you don't have to. I'll take over your house payments too. Just move to the basement while I raise your children since you don't want to work for anything.

>Arch
>reliable
>Gentoo
>reliable

They're extremely reliable. You must be retarded and do stupid shit like chmod 777 and stay logged in as root

are they easy to set up though? e.g alongside WIndows 10?

genkernel configures the kernel automatically and you can easily automate emerge -avqDNu @world.

it is reliable if you stay on the stable branch and don't use placebo useflags.

As one of the few people on Jow Forums who isn't a complete autist, just try Ubuntu. Then if you don't like it you can try something else. But Ubuntu, since it is the most widely used, has the most support online for when something goes wrong.

Although to be fair you could try Mint as well since it's basically Ubuntu with a different DE. It's up to you, do what you prefer.

See? I don't know what any of this means.
I can just install ubuntu in a few clicks and i get a user friendly stable OS alongside my bloated windows
why Arch or Gentoo?

Gentoo is one of the most stable distributions of all time, what the hell have you been reading user?

just use ubuntu or a flavor of ubuntu. it's literally the default linux and googling any problem will show up Ubuntu shit. I thought Linux was garbage until I installed Xubuntu and everything works perfectly.

If you want an easy place to learn, grab and try a few flavors of Ubuntu. As they're all using the same software repos, most information on how to handle Ubuntu will work with them too. The reason I recommend them is the very large amount of easy guides and helpful support provided for nearly any Linux question under the sun. Arch may have an extensive knowledge base, but it's help designed for experienced users.

Mint = Manjaro >>> Ubuntu

Manjaro is to Arch what Mint is to Debian. The only difference is the package manager, the fact that Manjaro comes with more software/dependencies, has AUR for 3rd party software instead of using PPAs and has newer software versions including the Kernel therefore it has better hardware support.

ubuntu

Arch and Gentoo are a meme. Anyone who wants those to be your first distro is trying to sabotage you. Just use Mint Cinnamon or Mint Xfce.

Then stay on Windows. Even using Ubuntu, you'll need to learn terminal. You'll find using only a gui to be very difficult on Linux.

Ignore this cuck. Jump in head first. It's easier than these fear mongers are trying to scare you off are letting on. It's seriously not difficult to learn.

This. Linux basically requires that you learn it if you want to do anything more than jewtube and cuckbook...

This, ignore the autists in this thread trying to sell you Arch and Gentoo.

Best beginner distros are things like Ubuntu and Mint (which is just Ubuntu with Cinnamon, basically). For a real beginner Ubuntu is definitely the top recommendation because it's the most popular and thus has the most support online.

Most of these people are autists about the terminal. I used Windows before and coming to Linux I first tried Ubuntu but the UI is abysmal and I've heard bad things about it's development. Just use Mint, you have to use a bit of the terminal if you want to do certain things but most of it is GUI-based.

mint a poo
manjaro a poo
ubuntu a poo
opensuse leap is the distro 4 u

nah, i used Arch after a week of antergos (my first distro) and never looked back.
Just kidding the post-installation was somewhat a hell lol, but i learned stuff like xorg i guess

Sacrifice a day you'll have a Gentoo system up and running even if you've never used Linux before. It's really not difficult.

I came from Windows 7, and have tried both Mint and Ubuntu. I liked Mint better. Also, try to ignore the elitists who say Gentoo or Arch. I don't know why they push it so hard on people who don't want to sink time into a good OS that just werkz, though if I had to guess, it's because they have nothing else to be proud of in their lives.

Mint isn't "just Ubuntu with cinnamon lel". It offers Xfce and MATE and fixes a lot of issues *buntus have. Ubuntu is for server and not desktop use.

based,
not many beginners know this one

Question: Aren't the different -buntus just Ubuntu with a different DE? If so, why are they not on the official site and are treated as separate distros? For example Mint and Manjaro come with different DEs too but they're still only one distro.

to add:
If I get Ubuntu and install KDE, will it be identical to Kubuntu?

Kubuntu sucks it's full of bugs.

woops meant to add the question to my post here

How does this answer my question?

I just wish there wasnt an additional round of testing just to make sure nothing breaks

There. Fixed it for youm

I hate recommending Ubuntu to people because I think Gnome is a shitty introduction to Linux, you can recommend them a different DE like KDE, but the fact that Ubuntu made seperate "distros" for it like "Xubuntu" "Kubuntu" etc I think just confuses noobs and gives them the idea that the distro = the DE.

Doesn't matter. Just pick one and you're good.

The pre-installed software is different. If you take a minimal install of Ubuntu and install KDE you'll be closer to KDE Neon than Kubuntu because Kubuntu includes some other software you'll probably need.
Mint Xfce, for example, includes a backup tool, it's own update manager, redshift, better UI and familiar keyboard shortcuts, and swaps out some Xfce software for alternatives which are slightly better.
Xubuntu includes an office suite and some other stuff which you won't get by simply installing Xfce.
Installing just a DE will just give you the very basic shit.

Fedora

Attached: iu.jpg (800x1200, 65K)

It breaks the ice and pushes you to learn the basics so you don't go back to Windows the first time something doesn't just werkz or behaves unexpectedly.

I had an issue booting Mint up one day. I can't remember the problem, but it took a single search to find the problem and fix it. Meanwhile, I spent more time than that every day trying to optimize W7 to be something other than a bloated piece of shit. Even Mint with Cinnamon is light and fast in comparison to Windows.

When I make the pitch to others, rather than throwing them into the deep end with a lead vest on, I recommend something fairly easy, but throw in extra work to do. easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html is a great way to force people to start getting comfortable with the idea of using terminal right from the get-go. Once they unclench their assholes with terminal, it makes it much easier to experiment, especially since Mint has shit like Snapshots to restore what you potentially fuck up.

Actually, just remembered I saved the solution in Standard Notes, so I could look it up on demand.

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=245082

I have literally never had Manjaro work for more than like 5 minutes without fucking obliterating itself. It's super jank. For me vinilla Arch is somehow like 10x more stable.

My wife is using Manjaro. She's had issues with it, mostly with drivers fucking shit up.

>normie

I also forgot to mention that she fucks black dudes

I'd install Kubuntu if it would allow me to partition with Windows

What degree of Normie are you? I went to Manjaro from Windows, but I'm competent and capable. I wish I'd just gone straight to Arch. I unironically think rolling release is going to be more user friendly in the long run.
I never really considered Ubuntu.

Mint

>It's easier than these fear mongers are trying to scare you off are letting on. It's seriously not difficult to learn.
That depends on who's on the other end, user. Some people think Linux is actually intuitive and easy. Some people are intimidated by a command line. Some people have a hard time swapping the source input on a television to go from Netflix over to the Xbox.

They ARE on the official site. Go to Ubuntu.com and then Downloads and look near the bottom, all the flavors are there like Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu etc.

The latter should be checked into the nearest nursing center, have their drivers licenses stripped, and only allowed to eat with spoons.

>Linux mint is garbage, cinnamon is good but better on every other distro which is fucking funny.
Bullshit, I found mint cinnamon to be better than basically any other cinnamon. Debian Cinnamon and Ubuntu Cinnamon are not that good in comparison, it looks and runs better in Mint

Fedora or mint

I do want stuff to "just work" without much setup. I dont want to build everything from scratch and gather all drivers and codecs together.
However, I'm also competent and capable. It's ok for me if sometimes a problem occurs and I have to solve it (as long as it doesnt happen too often and fucks everything up). What I really hate is unintuitive design that makes no sense and/or has redundancies (e.g. 12 different "settings" scattered around the system instead of one control panel)

Debian Testing

KDE Neon

Attached: kdeneon.png (1920x1080, 577K)

>have to edit sources.list to get it
Already a non starter for most people

Would you recommend user, testing or unstable?

Retard
debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

IMHO Just start at ubuntu like anyone else, there's tons of dedicated normie oriented tutorials and software ports. I remember learning the basic of Unix there, then passing to other "normie friendly" distros like Fedora or Open SUse, and learning to fix light shit there; then to Arch based distros and fixing heavy shit there, and the most in and outs of Unix. Is like a progression if you ask me.

Now that's a hard question, since there are indeed a lot of beginner distros. However, Elementary OS is a great seperate OS for OSX users who want to dip their toes in playing with terminals.
As for windows, Look at Cinnamon-based distros or Cinnamon versions of different distros.
As for everything else, Go Debian if you really wanna push the limits.

So you can either use their shitty netinstall or download a stable iso and edit sources. Either way it’s not really the most accessible

I had nothing but problems with Manjaro and while Mint isn't perfect it hasn't enraged me to the point of distro hopping yet after using it all summer

Linux Mint doesn’t even install with the latest kernel or even a recent one

Strange... State issues. I'm in a cool mood going to leave for a business trip so I'm in no mood to troll.

What makes you think that Debian's netinstall is shitty?

Fucking this. Linux kernel in mint is 4.3... I'm on kernel 5. Something in Arch.

I can’t even install Mint without doing the “nomodeset” bullshit in the grub menu because the kernel they use doesn’t really work with my system/GPU. Works fine when I update the kernel when I get it installed, but why not just have it there from the start? Seems like Mint desperately needs an update

why that and not kubuntu?

Ubuntu is fine and is generally functional. Elementary OS is pretty good too for that kind of thing. I actually installed it on my grandfather's computer after it became too outdated to really run windows well and he still has no problems with it for what he needs except for confusion about where he put files sometimes.

For a new user who doesn’t know Linux, Debian netinstall is extremely un-userfriendly. There’s like 4 different pages to enter in names which has little relevance to desktop users, and the page where you download software packages is also really confusing - most people won’t know if stuff like SSH or web servers are important or not. Not to mention the regular netinstall won’t work for most people because it has no proprietary files on it, and a lot of people need those to use wifi.

It’s a lot easier to just download one of their Buster ISOs preloaded with a DE and outside firmware and then just update the sources. But either way it’s not super appealing to newbies

Arch Linux

I don't even remember many of the problems, it was months ago. But I remember being completely unable to find solutions to most problems without hours of searching. Also there were a lot of petty annoyances like the lock screen only using the default wallpapers supplied with OS, and not even just taking all the wallpapers in the default folder, it was looking for specific files so I had to replace one of those default wallpapers with one of mine. If there was any menu to fuck with the lock screen backgrounds, I couldn't find it.

I found Kubuntu to be significantly buggier. Also KDE Neon comes with less preinstalled stuff, so you can install what you really use yourself.

I only tried user. Would recommend

>netinstall won't work for most people because it has no proprietary files on it, and a lot of people need those to use wifi
Good point. They would have to use an Ethernet connection during the installation process, then edit their /etc/apt/sources.list and figure out which package actually provides the firmware they need.

>Buster ISOs preloaded with outside firmware
I didn't know that those were a thing.

They make you really dig for them on their website, they are buried under several pages

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/10.1.0-live nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/

Pretty neat, it basically works the same as an Ubuntu or mint install, just load it up

I've not followed up on it for awhile, but isn't their a direct Arch repo compatible distro? Or are they both gone?

I seem to recall that Chakra (old, maybe switched to something else etc) and especially Antergos (probably the one I'm thinking of most accurately) were "Manjaro-ish" in that the were Arch based but gave you a GUI with a DE of your choice, but unlike Manjaro they used Arch's repos. Did these vanish and nothing take their place?

Unironically Slackware.

nixos, crux or linux from scratch

Unbotu

Still unpolished enough to require peaking under the hood every now and then and accidentally learning something.

Antergos was discontinued a couple months ago.
Anarchy Linux is basically just a more user-friendly installer for Arch. Afaik there are no "defaults" though, so you still need to know which packages you might want.

Ahh sothats why I haven't heardabout it. Anarchy is worth checking out. What about ArcoLinux? It seems to be in the similar paradigm to those, though it may have some of its own packages (ie icons and whatnot) but most of it seems directly compatible with Arch> The website suggests that it is a step toward becoming comfortable with Arch itself.

Its just kind of a pity they only stick with the lightweight DEs exclusively (ie xfce, openbox, i3) vs at least offering one the common full featured ones like GNOME, KDE, Cinnamon etc.

>People who care about efficiency use Gentoo.

The absolute, current state of Gentoo fags. Gentoo fags are the audiophiles of the GNU/Linux userbase. They will compile their shit for hours instead of just pulling binaries from a repo and then brag about how "fast" and "smooth" everything feels because "it's custom tailored to muh hardware".

Whenever you asked them whether or not they have any real world proof for their idiotic claims they will reply with "if _feels_ faster" or "with the right gear, you will notice, too"

I seriously hope the SJW community infects gentoo with its AIDS and puts it out of its misery. Or just drink bleach already.

>I just wish it wasn't separate from Arch repo-wise
nobody tell this man how to add repos

Works fine for me. Not sure what you managed to fuck up to have a bad time.

Buntu. Cuz most number of tutorials for newbs

>step 1: find out what login manager your distro uses
>step 2: find out how to change backgrounds in said login manager
I don't mean to talk down to you, but that should've been a short affair.

Windows.

gentoo hardened, plan9, templeOS