Serious question, do you guys use Arch for work?

Serious question, do you guys use Arch for work?

Attached: d6419p8-e021a320-11df-440e-aecc-7f8fd1712e3d.png (500x500, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.archlinux.org/task/63849
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No one who has actual work to do uses Linux on the desktop unless it is Fedora or Ubuntu

I did for a while, went through the manual installation of setting up apache, php and mariadb which took a while and it was just to have a development environment. I don't think it's worth it, I was just obsessed with the operating system and it was a distracting me from building sites and software.

How the fuck do you do work without Microsoft Excel?

yes, it's alright but was a bit inconvenient at the start when i had things to change

>Arch for work

Attached: 1562622763098.jpg (620x372, 82K)

at the end of the day, anyone who works on linux will use ubuntu or debian. If it's a server it'll be CentOS. Absolutely nobody uses anything else unless it's just a personal preference of the sysadmin.

I use it to program stuff and do school work. Don't wagecuck so don't use it for that yet.

Or mint

fuck no, meme distros don't get work done.

I've used Arch as my daily for about six years; used it all the way through uni
It's pretty good desu

Attached: 1568742764806.jpg (780x598, 158K)

I work as a software developer. I've been using Arch and Plasma5 as my system for 2 months now. It actually works great. Not gonna switch distros or even back to Windows.

Got some experience with Arch though. I have this on my home machine since 2010.

You lurk too much.

supposing I work I don't see why not

(you) don't lurk enough

Sure, why wouldn't I? While it's not a good pick for baby's first Linux, it's definitely not as difficult to handle as some people like to claim.

based pixel art

Attached: 2019-09-19_21.00.22.png (1920x1029, 1.75M)

What happens when systemd breaks and you can't log back? Having to chroot all the time is kind pointless no? Or have I been memed?

You’ve been meme’d
Unless you use testing repos it’s stable and doesn’t break on its own unless you fuck it up yourself.
Also you’re a dumb nigger if you don’t check the critical intervention rss feed on a regular basis.

Never happened to me, but if it's fucked beyond repair, you can just boot a live OS, back up whatever you need from root partition and reinstall the system. If you export a list of installed packages and enabled services from the old OS and have a separate /home partition like any sane person should, you can restore your system very quickly.

Actually that's how I do backups. I pull a full disc image only like once a year and the rest of the time I prefer tarballing partitions because that makes it easier to exclude given stuff I don't need backups of.

sort of

I use Debian kuz it's based on STABILITY.

And don't you have to bypass the package manager too often because even your IDE and stuff is always outdated otherwise?

playing game is not work

>actual answer gets no replies
keep shitposting anons

I do not work.
But next month I will be working (very) part time and one of my professors (great guy) uses Arch.

>tfw never read the news and its still stable as fuck
based arch

I use Fedora on a ThinkPad. Because IBM now owns Redhat. And IBM/Redhat gives special treatment to Lenovo! By design these 2 run better than anything else on the markets atm.

Arch Linux like Gentoo are secret projects that require people to build their packages from the ground up. So they can collect special repo and compiling data for a super secret project!

>Debian
Do you work as an archeologist or a necromancer?

I work in academia, got Debian on my office pc but I could very well use Arch since I do the same things on my Arch laptop.

>I work in academia
>I use Debbie and Arch!
>Doesn't use Scientific Linux
Academia my ass! Bull fucking shit!
You type like a middle school teacher, at best. LOL!

It's the only distro I use for work.

Yes I do, and my co-worker uses gentoo

I flip burgers so yes

>thinking excel is just a table made up of a bunch of text fields

I use Ubuntu for work because im a real IT professional ;)

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-19 22-38-27.png (1600x900, 429K)

Not him but using scientific linux doesn’t mean you automatically become a scientist. I work in academia as well and the clusters I use run CentOS and Ubuntu. I personally run debian on my own machine. Also, scientific linux is being discontinued since it’s the same as CentOS anyway.

So what you're saying Ubuntu Server is useless?

The only "work" that Arch users do is maintaining their system, which is a full time job since it always breaks. The meetings they have to cancel all the time due to Xorg breaking is usually a therapist meeting or a doctor's appointment for their autism meds.

Attached: arch5.png (381x399, 29K)

yeah but I'm just a shitty freelance webdev

onlyoffice works good enough, though I'd never recommend libreoffice as it shits the bed with compatibility all the time.

too add to this, ms office 2007 works perfectly in wine if you're okay with that.

nice bait, homo
here's your only (you)

Not arch but used KDE Manjaro for about a year. I want to go back, if not for 2 things.
It ran like shit on my work Thinkpad, clueless as to why. Windows ran perfectly on the same machine.
Had problems with SSH-agent. Each time you open a new terminal window, it creates a new user PID and you have to always re-add the ssh agent. Annoying as shit when you have to administer 1k servers.
Other than that, I really liked it.

Attached: c4b.png (1465x1007, 67K)

Unironically yes.

I used it for webdev for about 2 years on my work laptop while high on ""minimalism"", it wasn't terrible putting aside the installation of drivers and random packages missing errors.
I honestly don't see what's bad about it, even the claims of it shitting the bed randomly have never happened to me and I heavily used it.

>work

I just started browsing this board. I'm an unemployable recovering alcoholic.

>t. never used arch

I do, I'm backend engineer so I don't need Photoshop/Office that filthy casuals need for their daily work and Linux is what we run on servers so it's perfect fit.
I used to use Ubuntu, but I've switch to Arch cause I like rolling release nature of it and latest packages, never had any major problems with it.

yes, since 2016. never had problems.

I use Gentoo for work.

Debian or Ubuntu Server are a thing!

>i use
>install ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

this. people who complain about Xorg not working are typically frog posters

For me, it's arch with Gnome.

>t. physicist

back to gamer

Even run it on production. Though im sure this will bite me in the ass one day.

I use gentoo at work, and ive only had issues with it twice and both times were my fault.

Yes and today the upgrade broke budgie desktop so I didn't get any work done.

Manjaro's just kinda shitty user, as are most Arch based distros(except for Antergos but RIP)

Are you memeing or being real?

Hundred percent serious.
bugs.archlinux.org/task/63849

Does 2007 add anything worthwhile over 2000? I was running 2000 not too long ago in wine and there wasn't anything missing that I use on 2010 for work.

If I want bleeding edge on top of an old-ass Debian or RedHat/CentOS, yeah.

Not that I know of for Excel, probably some differences for Word since they add new things every version.

yes, arch w/ kde on my xps
t. mobile game dev

Yes. BlackArch actually because I wanted a simple installation procedure and some tools from the BlackArch repos.

On a Server or really important workstation I always go for Debian Stable however.

Attached: NBUVTBqC_400x400.jpg (362x362, 34K)

Arch is pretty stable though. We should thank the devs of all the packages for the quality that's actually better than on Windows at this point.

Anyways I always recommend using timeshift or something similar before upgrading on any distro.

Do you seriously believe that Linux users in general do any kind of actual work?
lol

You're right. The real work is going on at the Windows desktop where you have to find out how to remove all the bloat and where to put your files after it ate the whole HDD

lmao get a load of this nigger
you can argue all you want but the reality is that literally nobody uses linux at work
they all use either macOS or Windows
deal with it, freetard :^)

I use gentoo for uni.

Yes, I actually do.

Attached: 52410651-fa95b900-2b13-11e9-970e-eff9afd83b23.png (1600x1200, 383K)

you dont have a job

>Fedora
Nice meme. I've only ever seen Ubuntu LTS and RHEL/CentOS, maybe Suse in a few autistic company offices. This is over a decade of being a traveling linux clown specializing in large deployments.

If anything Fedora is a bigger meme than arch. Arch actually gets run in containers quite a bit. Fedora is only run by volunteers who like to beta test for Red Hat without being paid.

People pay me for my projects, either for support or just donating, not enough to live confy but good enough to save.

>scientific linux
lmao

Idiot. Just look at any technical job. Every pen tester, almost all sys/net admins and many devs use Linux.

Just look at this thread and you'll see, faggot.

Imagine using some shitty garbage fork of CentOS that got necked anyways and is discontinued in favour of CentOS. All of this, because it is basically the same, just had more bloat programs installed out of the box.

Attached: satanyakek.gif (540x540, 279K)

no they dont, lmao
and if they do, they do it in a vm
because they dont want to get anywhere near your crappy freetard autism os

In Europe it is like this but with more Suse. I have also never witnessed Fedora anywhere except in some sort of experimental capacity. I don't dislike Fedora so much but it is little more than Arch with two major breakages a year instead of four.

Could one use archlinux in an old computer from 2005? It has a pretty dated processor that's about 1GHz, I wanted to use it for surfing the web.

babywogue??

I use it for school.

Literally the reason I only used fedora for a few months. Buggy as hell even though the packages are older than Arch.
Gnome was also quite annoying.

How often do you upgrade, what DE are you using and doesn't take compiling everything a bit too long.
I'm assuming you haven't got a high end CPU because uni students are usually poorfags.

Arch for anythinf, bloated system.

I used to,
but I kinda passed through what did, although I couldn't see myself without pacman and aur....
So I found Manjaro and that did it.

I used to. Nowadays on mac, cos doing mobile dev.

Nice

Yes, I do use it for actually paying work. Making roughly 45 USD/hr.
PHP developer

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I've talked to many PHP devs using Linux.
What IDE/Editor do you use?

Not that guy, but I beg to differ.
You're simply wrong. Now go get a job.

You just claim something out of nowhere because all you know is yourself. You have no idea about nothing, so just shut the fuck up. End of discussion with you.

>How often do you upgrade
Fuck didn't expect anyone to reply.
Well i use a chinkpad, so it takes a long fucking time. Dont really recommend if you want to be productive.
It can be pretty painful sometimes but when you have setup everything and installed all ur packages you need then it's comfy.

Embedded developer here. Yes exclusively. I have a Win10 VM for emergencies but have never needed it. I still am thinking about switching to Gentoo though to escape systemd.

Attached: 1532458271446.jpg (1200x1200, 131K)

What model? Mine is a T420 and after installing Gentoo once on a Dell D830 I don't think I'll do it again in the near future since it really takes too long to compile.

However I think it's really comfortable as well so I use Arch because the mentality is similar. Systemd is trash though.

has been added uwu