When did you grow out of hating gnome and finally embrace it?

When did you grow out of hating gnome and finally embrace it?

Attached: [email protected] (1915x1030, 992K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-tweaks
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't use loonix.

Why the heck did they just make it more difficult to ship basic extensions out of the box?

Why would I embrace godawful UI?

I love and run parts of gnome but if you saw my computer you would never know it.

I love the multi-monitor support, wireless (bluetooth) management, the way it handles peripherals.

I don't like mutter or how any of it looks. And some of the gnome programs are easily replaceable with shell scripts one can write in 5 minutes.

Attached: 1527800033548 i see you're running gnome.webm (640x360, 384K)

Never I just got a Mac instead of trying to acquire the taste of shit.

when you are too stupid to actually use something better

I use whichever DE comes installed by default. In case of ubuntu it's gnome

When I used Gnome Classic session. It is literally the patrician's DE; buggy KDE bloatshit just can't compete.

Attached: Gnome-Desktop-CentOS-7.png (1276x770, 229K)

video playback is worse in .34
how can faggots recommend gnome?

Whatever happened to utility, function, and purpose?

Why does everything have to be personified and beautiful? Is the world just becoming more gay by the minute?

How much memery?
KDE uses only 200-250 MiB of memory (aprox). Excluding systemd and shit.

Gnomeshit would make sense on touchscreen.
On PC it makes no sense.

I like it, though it's not perfect. For a long while i've felt that the tweaks should be fully implemented into the core settings for example.

About 6 months ago. Enjoy it quite a bit now.

I actually haven't checked. I do know the latest version of GNOME Classic Shell completely removes the tabletshit and makes a ton of optimizations, so it's probably much better on RAM than it used to be though it's possible that KDE still uses less.

My main gripe with KDE is that it's so gaudy by default with animations and effects. I have to spend a lot of time trimming the shit down to make it look sane, compared to gnome classic which just looks clean and simple out of the box.

same as the other one
for me that's ~ 4-500

>. I do know the latest version of GNOME Classic Shell completely removes the tabletshit
Nope.
It doesn't. Just look on the "explorer"...
> and makes a ton of optimizations, so it's probably much better on RAM than it used to be though it's possible that KDE still uses less.
I can try it. I have a fresh install of SLED with KDE...
>My main gripe with KDE is that it's so gaudy by default with animations and effects
SUSE config is pretty good. Animations appear to be disabled, effects are minimal.

This year, tried Poo!_os on my laptop and Gnome is bretty great on a laptop. Gnome on a desktop all the way, but for laptops specifically I've gone with Gnome.

Show pics

Never. Gnome could die and I couldn't care less

I'll never stop hating gnome. I'll never forget how they forced me to rewrite my custom gtk3 theme about 4 or 5 times. And that looks set to continue when gtk4 comes out.
They also keep removing config options from gtk that I used. Through gtk alone, the gnome developers have put so many obstacles in the way of me having my linux desktop work the way i want, and i don't even use gnome itself and haven't even touched it since gnome2 in 2011. So its a sworn promise I'll never touch gnome again, fuck gnome and fuck its asshole developer community. I wish I could avoid using gtk but probably more than half of linux desktop software is infected with it, including my choice of desktop xfce.
Thats another part of why i hate gnome. "I have no idea what xfce is or does sorry" that's such a brilliant quote because it completely sums up the gnome developer attitude towards users and the linux ecosystem in general. Arrogant fucking dickheads who abuse their unfair level of influence and act in complete disregard for others. I don't care about the recent new of gnome agreeing to work with kde. In fact that made me worried when i heard it. I will never trust the gnome developers

Rgis. I don't even dislike the DE itself, but I hate the devs with passion.

Because it was feature in OS X long before and I only briefly used it before discovering Alfred.

I skipped straight over gnome and took the elementary pill

Pop os

Why does GNOME Maps know my exact location when I have location services turned off?

I can adjust to the layout, I guess, but the general slowness of it all is unbearable. I gave it a good try but could never get used to how it just seemed to drag with everything. It’s way too resource heavy for a DE.

Attached: pics.png (1920x1080, 425K)

Fuck off footfag.

>clocks
??

The start/search menu taking up the whole page is one of the worst designs I have ever seen for a desktop. I could never adjust to the sheer awfulness of something like that. It’s a fucking search, just put it in the bottom right/left in a tiny menu

About 2 years after I started using Linux. By then I had realized that I don't care about ricing, use my keyboard far more than when I first switched and that even my crappy old laptop can run it without problems.

This. It's the only DE I know of where the devs are more notorious for changing shit around for no reason and removing features rather than adding new ones and making performance improvements.

never hate nor embrace
i ignore gnome all my life

Nah, I prefer KDE Plasma.

>even my crappy old laptop can run it without problems.
Bullshit. Even fairly beefy workstations used for heavily parallel workloads with 512GB of ram and a 10Gbit connection to storage still lags like shit when doing anything. It's garbage and you can't even disable the retarded animations. Not to mention the whole interface is counter-productive. I have to press ctrl+l everytime I open a window just so I can input my path (or copy it to use in a terminal somewhere), there's no option to invert the default behavior. This concept applies to every part of gnome, and gnome loses features with every update. Not to mention gtk3 is the buggiest shit ever and for half a decade its tabs would randomly stop responding to click events. Has it been 15 years and gtk still doesn't have proper previews in filepickers?

>It's garbage and you can't even disable the retarded animations.
You can with the gnome tweak tool. It’s even available in the software manager. It should be a default option though, but you can disable the animations.

gnome tweak tools is a 3rd party tool (though 1st party-acknowledge which is why it's in the GNOME org and included in the GNOME org's repos) that dies everytime gnome updates until it can catch up with the new bugs and changes introduced every minor version. It's definitely the only way to make gnome even remotely usable though.

True enlightenment came when I realized my new macbook pro is less intuitive than GNOME. What requires 3 different keys to show open windows, browse apps and search apps can be done with a single keypress on GNOME. How did they do it?

Attached: 11850181_960486807323486_1717387821_n.jpg (480x480, 38K)

Because extensions are not made by the GNOME devs and are thus discouraged. GNOME knows what's best for the users, and that is the default experience. Extensions tarnish GNOME.

>Even fairly beefy workstations used for heavily parallel workloads with 512GB of ram and a 10Gbit connection to storage still lags like shit when doing anything.
Works perfectly fine on my main PC. Sure, it's not as responsive on my laptop, but neither was the Openbox setup I was running before.
>I have to press ctrl+l everytime I open a window just so I can input my path (or copy it to use in a terminal somewhere)
I have no idea what you mean.

ctrl+l allows you to input paths in text form instead of clicking boxes to move back/foward. It's the only way to navigate through things like autofs-based mounts, as well.

Oh, you mean in Nautilus. My bad. I always remove most of GNOME's software ecosystem (including Nautilus), so I didn't think of it.

I reinstalled Nautilus and it's true that there's no checkbox in the preference menu. You can use dconf editor though to easily change the default behavior. Under "org.gnome.nautilus.preferences" change "always-use-location-entry" to true.

Gnome devs were the first that demanded the resignation of Richard Stallman.
They are funded by your typical FANG companies including IBM. They are traitors and can not be trusted. Their goal is actually to disrupt the free software community.
Don't ever use their software. Don't ever give them money. Don't ever talk to anyone of their organization.

rms was already on the fsf's and mit's nerve if they dropped him like that. it seems like they were looking for an excuse to get rid of him.

Attached: et-really-willing-tu.jpeg.png (612x380, 232K)

Does that only work for nautilus and not other gtk3 programs and is there a way to systematically do that for all gtk3 programs?

The option I'm talking about is Nautilus specific. I haven't looked too much into it though.

>gnome tweak tools is a 3rd party tool (though 1st party-acknowledge which is why it's in the GNOME org and included in the GNOME org's repos)
It's literally a 1st party tool, are you retarded.

You are the retard here. Tools that are acknowledged by the gnome devs and live in the gnome repos are not all 1st party tools. Most are 3rd party. Gnome tweak tools is one such 3rd party tool.

Fapple's UI is held back by legacy shit. Same with winblows. Boomers can't handle if a keyboard shortcut changes or an icon is moved a few pixels to the left. Gnome devs took a lot of heat for the massive changes between 2 and 3 (a good amount of which was deserved) but they unironically came up with a more efficient UI than muh taskbar.

Attached: 1566536358418.jpg (1200x886, 283K)

When I learned what systemd actually was instead of thinking it was an "init system".
GNOME is way ahead of anything else in terms of the underlying technology.

Attached: image0-162.jpg (445x449, 32K)

It's super comfy for watching anime on my laptop and I never have to use the touchpad.

Couple weeks ago, actually.
Upgraded Fedora to 31 with Gnome 3.34, it's actually pretty fuckin' great.
I like the keyboard navigation. Coming from tiling WM's, it's a good compromise.
Simple. Polished. I like the way it looks, I don't know what everyone else seems to hate about it...
I like it.
>t. former gentoo+dwm ricefag

Gnome tweak is literally a 1st party tool from gnome devs. I don't know who told you this retardation, but you're wrong.

what if we applied early android tablet design into a desktop environment hahaha

This.

When did you grow out of using an OS that's hobbyist garbage on desktop and finally embrace an OS with market share over 3%?

>Stop hating gnome.

Attached: 1483896119393.jpg (300x300, 23K)

Never. The damn thing worked fine used to run with very low settings and was overall fine and practical. For one thing made change towards xfce or kde depend of how flamboyant i want my desktop.

Why would you switch to an inferior system?

Whatever helps you sleep at night Timmy.

Why do so many distros love this environment so much? It’s the default DE for Debian, Ubuntu, PopOS and probably a bunch of others and I don’t get it. It’s a fucking awful environment that flows like shit, runs like shit and it doesn’t even look that good or clean. It’s probably the single most unlikable desktop environment.

Most likely bribes of some kind. Redhat has deep pockets and it's not the only redhat-owned technology to be mysteriously adopted by everyone despite widespread objections by even the core members of the distro.

I don't even care about its existence.

>anything heavier than sway
No thanks.

Isn't Sway that one WM that gets all passive aggressive if you use proprietary Nvidia drivers?

Retard.

it ties in well with systemd even though the integration is like duct tape. you can't expect a working desktop environment. and when something unexpected happens it shits up

>and when something unexpected happens it shits up
It's nice that this pretty much never happens, unless you are on a rolling release distro. I just updated to the latest version and dash to dock was out of sync with the release, so I grabbed the unreleased version from Github and fixed that. Other than that, the newest release is much smoother and fast. Using far less CPU than before.

and fucking fedora uses it as the default too. infuriating how a lot of big distros love this crap

>heavily keyboard-driven
>makes no sense

Maybe whois reveals it?

Your IP

I've never bothered trying anything else. I have no real complaints about it.

Never, because I don't like it and prefer every other DE over it. I just use Xfce, works for me.

>Projects tracked as part of official or extra GNOME release sets and releases
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-tweaks

No type ahead in nautilus: unusable

Because I realized it's not.

>still uses GTK based de
you will always be under their thumb unless you embrace glorious QT

How's LXQT these days? If it's better than it was on Debian 9 I'll give it a try.

>How's LXQT these days? If it's better than it was on Debian 9 I'll give it a try.
Don't use it, but I've heard mixed things about it. Pretty much KDE or go home

I still haven't because linux still has tearing issues using nvidia cards. Fuckin' wild.

Attached: 1568160776543.jpg (274x395, 17K)

>the current year
>discrete graphics of any kind

Qt should stop inventing new widgets for desktops and start improving their basic programs. Kstuff tends to be complete trash while their gtk counterparts are at-least passable.

same with amd cards. linux fucking sucks with drivers

LXQT is horrific atm. I've been running it on my rando-dev Arch box just to see where it's going and at the moment it appears to be one step removed from abandonware. Which is extremely sad considering LXDE is abandonware at this point. Basically the two lightest DE with any kind of usability are XFCE and KDE with MATE a few hundred MB ahead of them in weight and Cinnamon another few hundred ahead of that. GNOME with the new updates might actually get down to Cinnamon levels but right now with all the bugs its hard to tell. I've been enjoying the GNOME/Fedora dev IRC lately because its just expectations v reality the show. ;D

It doesn't even have thumbnails in the file picker.

I hear Gnome devs are trannies. Is this true? From how dysfunctional and nonsensical their software decisions are it certainly seems that way.

This. Loonix its only situable for servers and embedded systems.

Its a shame because I think Lubuntu is one of the coolest and most beautiful flavors Ubuntu has. The icons are aesthetic as hell and it just looks great. But it doesn't run very well and there's screen tearing too

some of the kapps could defeinitely be rebuilt from the ground up (mail, irc, etc), but all of the core apps are great. Dolphin, Falcon, Konsole, Gwenview, and Okular are all better than the GTK equivalents imo. The Gnome team nailed the cohesiveness, though.

Did you even read what I said? Of course not, since you're retarded.