Just installed ubuntu again after 5 years of windows only

just installed ubuntu again after 5 years of windows only.

what are some of the first things to do?
is gnome 3 usable now?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-20 19-34-24.png (1920x1080, 298K)

Other urls found in this thread:

omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/09/best-gnome-3-34-features
extensions.gnome.org/.
ubuntubuzz.com/2018/03/disable-gnome-shell-animation-on-ubuntu-1710-and-1804.html?m=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Remove snap cancerous packages installed by default.

sudo apt-get update && upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

>update
there was a little GUI program doing that for me
>dist-upgrade
I wanna stay on LTS for now

The desktop environment is unbelievably shitty and sluggish. Feels less useable than basically any other DE

Don't use Gnome cancer, you can use something that runs well like Xfce or LXQT.

>ubuntu
might as well go back windows

I heard all the commotion about it, but I want to decide for myself.
If I don't like it, I will switch to XFCE soon.
So far, I am not turned off. My PC is a beast, so performance is not an issue.

Get used to linux and then install debian.

noted
I use debian on most of my machines, it is my preferred distro.
This time though, I felt like trying vanilla ubuntu again to catch up with the current state of it. Note that I am not asking for what distribution to use but rather how to set up ubuntu.

Apt remove whoopsie
Go edit the auto update stuff under /etc/apt/apt.conf.d to stop auto-updater nagging
I would recommend ukuu to get a recent kernel from ubuntu ezpz, but the dev locked it behind a pay wall for new versions
Add the xubuntu-dev staging ppa for xfce4.14 and install that
Remove snap cancer, but this is getting really hard with how canonical is doing stuff recently

after literally 5 minutes of normal use
Canonical, WTF are you doing?
a lot of stuff is really buggy out of the box, too:
>'how to use gnome' tutorial is not working
>nothing bound to windows key (why?)

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-20 19-54-59.png (1920x1080, 401K)

Your post heavily implied that you've been using only windows for 5 years though.

Get Budgie. Maximum comfy and better, faster.

Attached: yx.jpg (980x551, 99K)

I just remembered that I used to get these a lot with ubuntu. Everything pretty much worked but every once in a while there was these internal errors.
Also all the bloat is just not worth it in my opinion. It is nice when transitioning from windows but after you get used to linux there is no reason to stick with ubuntu.

Unity is still better but gnome is usable with extensions

I hate Ubuntu. I immediately lose respect for anyone who runs it, and especially those who advocate it. Here’s why:

Name 20 features, release-for-release or year-for-year that have not come from Redhat. Redhat basically runs the show when it comes to Linux. This includes things like NetworkManager, Gnome, Xorg, GCC, glibc, LVM, KVM, kernel, file systems et al. Redhat has developers making significant contributions to the entire FOSS software stack upstream.

Ubuntu on the other hand pulls most of the heavy weight packaging from Debian with each release. They then perform minor patching and testing. It generally lags behind Fedora by a release or two in parts of the software stack. I never see @ubuntu or @cannocial email addresses in upstream changelogs.

So tell me again, how exactly does Ubuntu innovate? They even struggle to release a new theme with each release, and artwork is about the only original thing in Ubuntu.

Yes, Ubuntu is stable because they are standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of the hard work is hashed out before they ever import software into their repositories. This is fine, and what FOSS is all about, but I prefer to be in with the leaders rather than the followers.

What really irks me and what has really brewed my hatred are Ubuntu users. They seem to think Ubuntu is responsible for all that is good in the FOSS world. I have just proven how false this is. In my experience, Ubuntu support mechanisms (IRC, mailing lists, forums) are much less helpful than the alternative.

If you want a nice desktop distro, run Fedora or OpenSUSE. If you like control, run Gentoo. If you need stability, run RHEL/CentOS or Debian. But please, don’t feed the idiot magnet that is Ubuntu!

>So tell me again, how exactly does Ubuntu innovate?
they are trying to make it accessible and do the best job of marketing themselves to non-tech people
hate it or love it

delete that and install manjaro with mate. in case you really need ubuntu, there is ubuntu mate, miles fucking better - 100x faster, no sjw, usable file manager and more

gnome is kind of retarded. use unity. at least it doesn't waste screen space.
better yet install mint if you want something that just werks.

latest LTS ships with gnome.
even though this looks identical to the unity that I used in 2014ish

thanks

I tried many different distros 2010-2014ish. since 2014 I have been running windows on my main PC and debian on everything else.

>what are some of the first things to do?
Install Gentoo

The ppa launchpad was a brilliant way of adding repositories to always have the latest version of a developers softwate

dist-upgrade keeps you on the current version you have installed

I just installed pop_os for a normie friend.

Holy shit it's better. Like, miles.

Have you even tried mainstream ubuntu before saying that?

Stephen we've told you this many times, while at work hours you need to stay in your office. I respect your focus and attention to detail but you scare the other employees.

No, dust-upgrade upgrades your version if it’s available and deletes older versions that are not needed. It also tries to intelligently sort what should be upgraded in order.

How so? I’m looking at their website now and it looks pretty cool

delete and install windows

>I immediately lose respect for anyone who runs it
oh no! What a loss!

Is there a nice way for integrating app-images?

>I heard all the commotion about it, but I want to decide for myself.
What kind of reasonable investigation is this? REEEEE! Get out!

rm -rf /*

Install a distro that respects your privacy.

>it matters what distro you use
You guys are honestly pathetic, your distro is just there to stage a docker install.

>nouveau
OH NO NO NO NO NO

lxd, snappy, livepatch, juju, mir, unity (rip), upstart, MAAS shit, cloud-init, and that's all I can think of. they do provide upstream patches to GNOME and other projects, but they really only care about the cloud.
for the record i use literally none of these (including ubuntu) but they aren't _complete_ leeches, just not as big as redhat/ibm

elaborate

Gnome is shit, install Xfce.

On Solus yes, Ubuntu Budgie is half baked product.

Xubuntu>>>Ubuntu Mate

I just installed Ubuntu on this laptop a couple of days ago. I tried it and installed Debian KDE instead. Maybe Kubuntu would have also worked, haven't tried it.

uninstall and install xubuntu

how so? I haven't noticed anything bad so far.
Btw how is Solus?

good taste

>stale, old, shitty
>good taste
Install Budgie or KDE Plasma

The other day I saw some news about how next version of Gnome is actually noticeably faster. Not just "performance improvements" as usual in changelog, but that people testing it said it feels noticeably faster.
That may be cause they were told it was faster, so it may be a placebo.
omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/09/best-gnome-3-34-features talking about #4 here

here we go, muh privacy

t. amazon cagie

>I wanna stay on LTS for now
GNOME (and Ubuntu) has received some pretty substantial upgrades since the release of 18.04, particularly with regards to general desktop performance. I'd recommend you look into updating to 19.10 when it comes out in a few weeks, assuming you want to stick with GNOME. Canonical has been putting a lot of effort into making it not a flaming pile of garbage ever since they dropped Unity for it.

Anyway, as things stand, installing the Tweak Tool is an absolute necessity for GNOME (it may come preinstalled on Ubuntu, I'm not sure) and I'd also take a look here: extensions.gnome.org/. I'd just go with the most popular and well supported ones, though, installing too many pajeet-specials isn't too good for system stability.

Oh, and for the love of god, this: Go into Software & Updates>Additional Drivers>and install the proprietary Nvidia drivers pronto. Nouveau is dreadful.

Attached: yaru-light-theme-ubuntu-19.10.jpg (1920x1080, 273K)

use apt, apt-get is deprecated.

Install Arch.

good pasta

idk dude, just tried xfce 4.14, feels a lot slower (dragging/resizing windows, opening whisker menu), less customizable (cant even set an applet to be in the middle of a panel) + i like mate software more.

Attached: Screenshot at 2019-09-21 02-13-58.png (1920x1080, 3.12M)

I would disable gnome animations, makes everything feel way more responsive.
ubuntubuzz.com/2018/03/disable-gnome-shell-animation-on-ubuntu-1710-and-1804.html?m=1

How the fuck do I get rid of the wave effect when scrolling on Ubuntu?
I already have the full pipeline thing in nvidia settings applied