BSD (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly BSD, ...)

What does Jow Forums think about BSD?
Do you use it? If so, why? (and which?)
Is it better than GNU/Linux? If so, why?
Any other kind of BSD-related discussion is also welcome here.

Attached: daemon_hammer.jpg (600x710, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rRg2vuwF1hY
reddit.com/r/unix/comments/6gxduc/how_is_gnu_yes_so_fast/?st=j3v3iw3c&sh=5651ea3c
re.soum.co.jp/~jun/OSC2019hiroshima.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP here. Consider this a bump I guess.
Not a single person interested in BSD at all?
We only got GNU/Linux fags here?

if you're looking for BSD users, Jow Forums is defiantly not the place. everyone here is a fucking moron so discussing Freebsd will give you a bunch of people mentioning the CoC and recommending OpenBSD even though they don't use it. any other unix-like OS will give you total silence and a dead thread

openbsd is trash anyone who actually has used bsd knows it's raw autism compared to every other option.
This board is clueless

I mean, they do have some good practices as is for their project but as it grows in size and in lines of code it'll be much harder to maintain it. So its kinda doomed from the start to be limited by its own practices.
FreeBSD on the other hand is pretty nice, albeit with some flaws security-wise that can be fixed fairly early on and easily during the install process.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but get the job done for what they are designed for and primarily used for. So there is no reason to be hostile towards either projects as they have differing practices and philosophies that add their strengths and weaknesses, and bring unique problems and solutions to the table.

Elitism is pure autism and equivalent to being a mindless drone that cant get any work done or progress in life because they are too busy talking about how much better their software/tools/etc are.

>Macfags BSDorks Lincucks and Winblows elitists btfo

Dragonflybsd does not support my intel ac 9560 internet :'(

I use both OpenBSD and FreeBSD. OpenBSD isn't trash, you just have to choose what works for you.

>discussing Freebsd will give you a bunch of people mentioning the CoC
Why are you FreeBSD fags so triggered about something FreeBSD Core Team did and is publicly proud of?

They're technically inferior to GNU/Linux, period.

TrueOS

In what way(s) are they inferior?

Free BSD is _soy infested shit you dont want to get into.
Use OpenBSD by based Theo.

moron, have you even looked at linux and *bsd source code?

I don't know much about BSD, but given the fact that BSD is a complete operating system and not just a kernel (like Linux) already suggests to me that it is probably more stable than GNU/Linux, and the various components are probably much more well integrated with each other, since development of said components is much more closer to each other because most of it is probably developed by the same exact team.
Compared to the GNU/Linux side of things, where you've got many different development teams and developers such as Torvalds, Stallman, Poettering, and so on.

I don't know much about Windows, but given the fact that Windows is a complete operating system and not just a kernel (like Linux) already suggests to me that it is probably more stable than GNU/Linux, and the various components are probably much more well integrated with each other, since development of said components is much more closer to each other because most of it is probably developed by the same exact team.
Compared to the GNU/Linux side of things, where you've got many different development teams and developers such as Torvalds, Stallman, Poettering, and so on.

Attached: 1493405570069.jpg (250x250, 26K)

Yknow you could actually provide a counter-argument.
...or you could be a brainlet and just not do that.

It's called "reductio ad absurdum", you niggerfaggot, and its essence is in showing that your argument is completely absurd by extending it to other datapoints where it is clearly faulty.

freebsd with mate is pretty usable (ghostbsd). I think the bigger problem in general is hardware support.

btw minix3 is minix kernel with netbsd userland, it has became very usable as well if you're into microkernels.

Tell me why it's faulty instead of trying to be an epic leddit memer, you fucking toddler.
I believe that it is common sense to assume that a software project led by just one, or very few, teams will be much better integrated (and therefore also probably more stable) than one that is led by very many, many different teams (cough GNU/Linux cough).
If you think that I am wrong and that BSD is actually equal or less stable and well-integrated than GNU/Linux, feel free to tell me so and explain your personal experiences with it. I would be happy to listen to what you have to say as long as you can provide reasoning.

Especially on openbsd, all code is the first naive implementation you can think of. No optimisations.
Yes.
That isn't a problem per se.

you abandoned your original argument and gave the burden of proof to the one you were supposed to convince.

///
Simply because BSD has less LOC and useless added functionality compared to GNU it is already better. Alpine Linux is also better than your regular GNU Linux.
What is worse about both of them, is that GNU is more popular

There are no usable BSDs.
>openbsd
youtube.com/watch?v=rRg2vuwF1hY
Just the tip of the iceberg, critical security issues in OpenBSD are absolutely everywhere and only a select few packages are audited (the ports tree is not, only the base system is). There is no layer of security beyond said audit (reminder that there's no reason to abuse things like code position if not to bypass a layer of security - if that layer doesn't exist, none of the mitigs are actually doing anything because nobody is going to exploit what is being mitig'd).

>FreeBSD
See FreeBSDgirl. SJW garbage.

>TrueOS
I mean just look at the name. It simply adds more bugs on top of FreeBSD, it's useless.

>NetBSD
Doesn't make use of modern hardware.

Also BSDs have no satisfactory virt technology. At least illuminos does have competent virt. No GPU passthrough but it shouldn't be that far behind.

Overall I'm a lot more interested in Illuminos-based solutions than BSD-based ones. I think it's less pozzed, more secure, and most likely to become reasonable over time.

nice incorrect opinion ;)

Thanks. I like showing incorrect hard proofs on the internet. It makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

Not him but LOC is why GNU coreutils outperform openBSD by orders of magnitude.
reddit.com/r/unix/comments/6gxduc/how_is_gnu_yes_so_fast/?st=j3v3iw3c&sh=5651ea3c

>Tell me why it's faulty instead of trying to be an epic leddit memer, you fucking toddler.
I thought it was evident. I guess not to retards like you.
Your core argument boils down to this: BSDs are more stable because they are a whole OS developed by the same people, unlike Linux which is made up from different pacakges.
I applied that premise to Windows, which is also a whole OS developed by the same people. However, Windows is not more stable than Linux; in fact it has a well deserved reputation for crashes and bugs. Just look at their latest trainwreck of an update.
Anyway, this disproves your argument, because its core premise (more integrated -> better) does not universally apply among even the most well known operating systems.
>I believe that it is common sense
No. But feel free to prove that with actual evidence.
>If you think that I am wrong
That's shifting the burden of proof.
In fact it's a pretty idiotic shift because you mentioned you were not familiar with BSDs at all, so why are you making assumptions about them in the first place?

harmful stuff

>reddit
uh, not thank you. I don't want to catch homosexuality.

>openbsd
Good luck exploiting that.
>34C3
Rofl. Your information is a bit outdated.

New illumos virt is based on bhyve, which kicks the shit out of kvm which was """ported""" to illumos to provide them their virt. Think it came from the smartos world and it was actually just the same practices inside kvm as just about 90% of the code was unportable.
TrueOS and FreeBSD are not supposed to be single user secure, I know that's not an argument but if you're trying for the security required in single user environments your multi user environment is going to be perceived as low performant even if you are a god off mitigation optimization.
Which brings me to openbsd, which as a project as been the single greatest example of balancing single user and multi user environment security with the least amount of performance impact in the multi user setting. Thats why people still meme and say it's a development platform - they're huge boomers and have seen that the performance in shapers, routers and single purpose app hosts have been essentially equal to competing products but far more secure.

Prove it.
Here, retard. Choke on it.

Attached: scrot1.png.png (670x349, 58K)

Next time I'm in the mood of a really performant yes I will launch a Linux wm without esitation

BSD is utter shit but that doesn't stop shills from shilling it.
I suspect they're paid to by haters of copyleft.
I like to think nobody would shill such utter trash for free.

Great. Too bad virtualisation destroys performance and BSDs are shit at virtualisation.

yes

yes

BSD is good, I use macOS

I really like freebsd but the only issue I have is that qtwebengine crashes my system and kernel dumps. I can trace back the issue and see what's causing it but I'm too lazy to do that. touchpad drivers also need to be worked on but they're already working on libinput.
what BSD shilling? it's barely ever mentioned on here besides OpenBSD but those people are memeing

Using mac OS isnt like BSD,they are very similar in someways,but in most BSD is closer to linux than mac OS

macOS is literally BSD
embrace the fact

Im talking about what its like to use,internally,yes,but the OSes are used very differently so the experience is not the same
(Dont hate mac OS btw,just to be clear)

it's not dumb fuck, it's mach.

I forgot the password to decrypt my laptop, so I'm gonna use the time to switch to BSD
Anyone ever used BSD for risc-v development?

>everyone who likes what I don't is a shill

Attached: 1567741171649.jpg (800x600, 54K)

Attached: 1556743857463.jpg (1015x673, 141K)

If you want to use BSD you should use NetBSD or Dragonfly BSD.

At this point FreeBSD, although the most popular BSD, is just an inferior Linux (except for maybe the firewall and the file system, but it's lagging on pretty much every other metric).
OpenBSD is fine, in the same way that Haiku, ReactOS or FreeDOS are fine. They are amazing efforts by teams of motivated and competent amateur developers to keep the dream of old systems alive (old-school Unix in the case of OpenBSD).

NetBSD and Dragonfly BSD are impractical as production systems, and you would not use them as desktop or OS systems, but very interesting as research systems.

>OS systems
server systems

I'm very interestedin dragonflyBSD from the technical point of view and also from the dedication and results that such small team are constantly pulling.

That said at the end of the day I do need to work with my PC, and things like electron and such are really needed for my workflow

Sorry Linux is simply better than BSD in almost every way. What little benefit BSD has over Linux is quickly being remedied. BTrFS is on par with xfs and the bugs have been worked out. All of the security patches have been worked into Linux 5.x...

Name 1 thing bsd has over Linux please.

But they don't work though without a lot of hassle. If it works for you then you must be autistic.

A shorter name.

Except everything he stated is facts.

Linux is 2 syllables
BSD is 3

It's pronounced "based"

No it's pronounced "autistic"

Only a fuckboi cuck releases their code under the bsd license. It offers no protection. Get fucked.

I use OpenBSD on a apu2c4 as a firewall. I also run SSH and FTP tarpits on there as well.

>Is it better than GNU/Linux? If so, why?
I find pf to be more intuitive than IP tables. The documentation for pf is much better than iptables as well: the man page for iptables is 451 lines long whereas the man pages for pf and pf.conf are over 2800 lines long. I also like how OpenBSD documentation has examples inside the man pages. I'm also more comfortable exposing services to the internet when the code uses pledge/unveil.

At the end of the day I use different tools for different jobs: OpenBSD as a firewall/edge router, Windows for my gaymes, and Ubuntu for development.

what's wrong with the CoC

>iptables bad
Iptables is literally ancient netfilter frontend and is being phased out. Use nftables, its way better interface and it even has a great config file.

what do you research on them

re.soum.co.jp/~jun/OSC2019hiroshima.pdf

Attached: 1559352591725.png (1920x1080, 2.85M)