Hey nerds I'll try to be brief...

hey nerds I'll try to be brief, the only reason I'm mildly interested in Linux is because I don't like windows 10's privacy policy (FUCK YOU BILL) I did some research and seems like I'd be able to do my stuff just fine using Linux. But this is my question:
WHY THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE TO USE SOME SHITTY APP STORE TO DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE
just why the fuck evertime I do research on Linux they always talk about pack managers why can't you just go to the website and download
Have a nice day

Attached: 1200px-NewTux.svg.png (1200x1440, 195K)

Other urls found in this thread:

appgrid.org/
flathub.org/
snapcraft.io/store
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Problem here is your lack of knowledge. There are dozens of ways of getting software, but you only know about the bundled software manager in whatever distro or else downloads from sites along the lines of WinRAR, so you're confused.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

you can also compile everything from source

I said Linux to englobe, all the distros I researched have this packet manager stuff.

Install Gentoo. You aren't using software that you didn't compile yourself are you op? How do you know where that stuff has been?

please enlighten me I'm big dumb with computers but interested

Hello!
You may be asking right now why you can't just go to the website and download, but really you should be asking, why do I instinctively go to the website and download? This is a common problem for new GNU/Linux users. People get so used to how Windows does it that they automatically assume that anything that deviates from their expectations is somehow inferior. This is an example of what I like to call Baby Duck Syndrome. Don't worry. You will overcome it soon (hopefully).

The Linux approach, and really the approach of every OS except for Windows and MacOS, is to have a repository of proven-safe software that users can grab from using a tool. This is actually not like an app store, although some distros have a GUI frontend that makes it look like that. The difference here is that distro repositories contain much more, including programming libraries and CLI programs and background daemons.
You CAN install things in other ways, but that's not as standardized. Because most GNU/Linux software is open source, you can grab that source code and compile what you need. This is one way of doing it. There's also things like appimages, flatpaks, and snaps, all of which provide a secondary option to your package manager and are a bit more like what you describe. But overall, it's all a lot different from Windows. That's not a bad thing. Arguably not a good thing. It's just a thing that's different, and as such, there will be a learning curve.

yeah it's supposed to be free as in freedom but you can only use what's on their equivalent of google store

You need to read one of those Linux For Dummies books. That's not an insult, you're just missing some basic information about how things work with the system. There is no shame in starting out on something new with an earnest learner's mindset. It would take more than several paragraphs here to set you straight.

How very naive. there is nothing that prevents you from compiling programs that you need outside the repository, or using another method like the alternatives described here The comparison to the google store is a bit strange. Outside of things essential to certain usecases like nvidia GPU drivers and such, you will not find much of any proprietary software or spyware in GNU/Linux distribution repos. The same cannot be said for the google store, which is a minefield of software tyrants, not to mention the store app itself, which is also proprietary and needlessly collects data on the user.

>Hey look, DildoMachine looks awesome I want to try it!

>linux
>sudo apt-get install DildoMachine

>windows
>find DildoMachine site
>hope it's real and not a Chinese fakesite
>click DildoMachineInstaller32-hit.exe
>yay? I hope it's not full of viruses
>Open Downloads directory
>Double clock on DildoMachine installer executable

etc.

Exactly. Everything's much nicer! Even edge cases.

>Hey look, dial-eight looks neat
>sudo apt-get install dial-eight
>package not found
>ok then..
>find dial-eight site
>download source
>you can be reasonably sure it's not full of viruses because the code was publicly available.
>You can inspect it yourself if you're that paranoid
>Compile that shit
>???
>Profit

thats hard to do

>linux
>sudo apt-get install DildoMachine
>installs to gorillion of directories
>files fuck knows where
>settings fuck knows where
>system breaks
>need to format and reinstall system
>DildoMachine deleted because you couldn't install it on D partition like in Windows

>windows
>find DildoMachine site
>click DildoMachineInstaller32-hit.exe
>Open Downloads directory
>Double clock on DildoMachine installer executable
>install to D:/Programs
>system breaks
>need to format and reinstall system
>reinstalled windows on C, DildoMachine and its settings intact

can you use Ms office on Linux?

spamming the board like this should be a bannable offense. you post the same thread every day with the same complaints and never listen to any of the solutions.

fucking sage in every field

>why can't you just go to the website and download

Why would you want to do that?
Anyways .Deb is the equivalent to .exe on Linux. Go to their website and download it.

GoG games are download and double click.
Look into appimage.
Package managers are superior to downloading shit from shady websites.

>Why would you want to do that?
why are linux users surprised when people want to do basic functions on a computer?

>Package managers are superior to downloading shit from shady websites.
No, they aren't. For one things package managers often dont have the most up to date version of software. For another theres no reason not to trust legit websites, i think i can make that decision for myself

>basic functions on a computer
Not really, more like stupid things people do.

>often dont have the most up to date version of software.
You can use snaps and flatpaks, or just use an arch based distro and enable AUR.
>theres no reason not to trust legit websites
There have been several instances of a website getting hijacked and installers being injected with malware.
>but that doesn't count
You can still go onto a website and download a Linux installer as a deb file or appimage for most software. it's just inconvenient to use a web browser instead of a software center or terminal so almost nobody does it.
>make that decision for myself
Do you also go to a website to download android apps there? It's just inconvenient and you're being a stubborn idiot.

Why are you surprised when people tell you you're retarded for thinking that "the windows way is the correct way", even after being proven wrong and told that you can still install shit by using a browser to dl install files from github/developers site/etc?
Having to visit a website to install something is absolutely retarded unless it's something obscure as fuck and the website is github/gitlab/whatever.

why dont they have programs that can just compile stuff from source for you? I feel like by this point, I should be able to insert a tar ball into some kind of program and it will compile it for me and download needed dependencies

most people who use windows have been downloading shit off websites their whole lives, and most have hard hardly any problems at all. how is it stupid if its been working for so long?

most people download zip files off websites and extract them. they dont download straight off the website

Ms office online? Yes

install gentoo

what's so shady or bad about downloading python from it's official website or Adobe reader

fpbp

Based retard poster
appgrid.org/

Attached: app-grid-1.jpg (1200x630, 207K)

>tfw you live long enough to see that statement be based

is this bait or have you not figured out what arch/gentoo meme is?

Lel, this post made my day. Thanks OP, you're either a high level troll, or a total faggot.

Linux applications are all garbage. Don't bother with Linux unless you only work in a shell.

If you want something that works and looks nice you're going to have to pay the macOS tax.

The reasons are 2
1.security
2.for us package managers are seen as the more convenient option

But you can do it other ways besides a package manager.

Found the fucking iToddler

Yeah,esspecially cause only fanboy or a shill would reccomend getting apple shit over hackintosh.

My Thinkpad has been proven to be able to run MacOS as a Hackintosh computer, but I still wouldn't replace GNU+Linux with that. I could do it at any point I wanted but I don't want to.

>being so assmad your OS is inferior that you post on Jow Forums every day

are you really that jealous of our package managers?

(You)

OP is pic related.

Attached: nazi tuxpeng.gif (258x303, 3K)

The plaintiffs argument against GNU/Linux repository setups is that he/she cannot upgrade, downgrade or use a custom version of specific software that is not in the official repository of his distro. They know Microsoft Windows gives them this freedom through static linking of .exe files. They are disgruntled shared libraries in GNU/Linux make this very difficult.

The answer is to continue shared libraries and repos as a default but developers should be mindful and have static linked appimages and flatpaks of their software, especially static linking the source code. This thread his already been re-illterated a dozen times over and the complaint is resolvable if developers payed attention.

However I fret it is way too late for the vast majority of legacy software to be saved, anything before 2014 is probably lost to history unless someone wants to build from source software on legacy distros and port them too appimages.

Attached: 71EqPwB1q7L.png (512x512, 148K)

I use ubuntu and never touched the crap store, cli is so smooth and easy to use

Package managers are great when you know exactly what you want, but even basic things like not knowing the exact format of the software's name can slow you down.

if Dile8's dependencies is not on your repo it won't work compiled from source.

It has to be entirely staticly linked

not really, it could cause depedency hells if you force install .debs on distros that aren't compatible with a certain version of a program or it just not might work at all.

However deb's maybe used however to set up old software on a virtualbox running an older debian/ubuntu.

Package managers are great. They push updates to all your stuff and manage dependencies automatically instead of DLL-hunting. It's a lot like Steam, just for all the applications on your system, and none of it costs money.

You do need a good package manager to really get the full experience. Apt can break dependencies. Yum and pacman are both excellent. Dnf is good but slow as fuck. I'd pick distros based on the quality of their package managers and package availability.

Which is why Manjaro tops my list. I can make do with OpenSUSE or Ubuntu, but I try to stick to Manjaro. Rolling release makes life a lot easier. Just remember to restart after updating lots of system packages and libraries, or stuff will start breaking quietly, no matter the distro.

>any kind of criticism
>b-baby duck syndrome amirite????

it is not because "im used to it" it is because its actually faster

Attached: 1567609960996.png (1301x424, 103K)

What would it take to make a similar device manager for a given Linux distribution?

>why dont they have programs that can just compile stuff from source for you? I feel like by this point, I should be able to insert a tar ball into some kind of program and it will compile it for me and download needed dependencies
maybe it could download the source for you too with one simple command!
oh wait.

Because you're unaware of app images and portable apps?

Package managers let you update all your apps easily from a single command.

Don't be such a noob.

Yes I'm various ways

There is more than one way to install software. Suppose you are using Debian, synaptic is the easiest way to install programs from the repository. If it isn't in the repository, let's say...teamviewer or discord, then you can install from a ".deb" package or a "tarball: .tar.gz". I'd suggest Debian personally or ubuntu if you think you might be retarded. Both would use "deb" files and they are pretty prevalent among third party software that isn't in the repository.

Attached: 59.jpg (600x545, 37K)

I'm not that user but can anyone rec me a good book/guide like that? I tried running Mint a while ago but things kept breaking inexplicably.

Because there are tons of distros and we don't want to burden developers with having to release for all of them, so we traditionally leave it to the distro maintainers, which has its own upsides, like convenience of installation and vetoing insecure packages. That said, methods for making cross-distro portable executables exist, such as AppImage, Flatpak and Snap, however they are not all that popular.
flathub.org/
snapcraft.io/store

Does that answer your question, OP?

if you think a package manager, which in ad 2019 is all but guaranteed to resolve any dependencies for you automatically, is worse than going to a website of an application and downloading a binary then im pretty sure your next question is going to be whats a dependency

>whats a dependency
Its what keeps the linux desktop relegated to hobby status.

this is pseudo code but
# echo off > /sys/devices/webcam

something of that nature

do one thing, well

so then turn off windows 10 privacy policy if its so easy? surely theres a button for that

For somebody thats just gotten in to this what would i need to learn for it?

that is a line of shell code, which is i think what you are asking. you would type something similar into your terminal or terminal emulator

I understand that. What I mean is creating a tool with a GUI like the Windows Device Manager. Something where someone can check on or off on hardware. I had a problem with my bluetooth module interfering with the wifi portion and had to come up with a script that killed it. I had to plug in a USB bluetooth module to get around it. Is this shit common on Linux?

why would you need a gui when typing it once and saving it as /usr/bin/webcam-off, then typing # webcam-off would take like, a minute, no external libraries to download or depend upon, and about 30 characters of shell script...

dont forget to # chmod +x it :P

congrats on your first binary

Because repos are inherently more secure and easier to maintain. To update you just have to open a terminal and type "supo apt upgrade" and you're good. If you want to download from the internet you can see if the application you want to download has a .deb package (assuming you use ubuntu/debian) and install that. If they don't have a .deb check if there's an .AppImage and run it from your file browser. I just prefer the repos because they rarely have malware and they're easy to update.
Don't use snaps though

My thought process:
> why the fuck do I have to go down the rabbit hole to do this shit? Why isn't there a device manager like on Windows?
> Fuck! What would it take to make one?
I'm aware of the conundrum of doing something complicated to make something simple.