Is "Color Corrected" a meme?

What is this shit? How are you "color correcting" something that was literally released this way on purpose, as intended by the visionary?

I don't get it, this is a genuine question, is this a good or bad thing? Seems just like a fucking meme.

Attached: based.png (1737x944, 1.87M)

It depends on what you're color correcting for
Is it for more true-to-life color accuracy? Is it to evoke a certain feeling? Is it aesthetic choice?

Why would you color correct it though? Your basically tainting the artists original vision.

It's like taking a painting, and just painting over it.

Some artists are shit, others aren't.

This is completely opinion based, an artist may have two viewers, one who hates his art and the other who enjoys it. But do you see the person who hates it, painting over it? No. If they don't like it, they don't view it, they wouldn't waste the time trying to change a piece they didn't like, they'd go find something they like.

the person who hates it may replicate the work and tweak it to fix it to their liking. The Thing 1982 was a remake that greatly improved the original and the Beck 550 Spyder is better than the original Porsche. Color correction doesn't destroy the original and you can always go back to it.

so they can release a restored bluray in 10 years when everyone is asking why everything was desaturated

>Why would you color correct it though? Your basically tainting the artists original vision
Sometimes they taint their own vision, like William Friedkin.

>The Matrix (1999) [Color-Corrected] 480p BrRip YIFY

It's fine to color correct, sometimes it's done for restoration. the star wars film negatives were permanently altered with special editions, so restoring the original editions had to be done by fans instead. there's times when a creator doesn't understand their own work and make changes that ruin it. (george lucas is a fucking hack)
in that pic however, it seems stupid and pointless, but at the same time it's alright if some people think that makes it better, just as long as the original gets preserved instead of overwritten.

>Mexican setting
>director compulsively adds a yellow tint
What is the deal with these fuckers?

Color correction is a mod.

The piss filter is how the content creator envisioned the master piece to look like.

Gringo movie viewer's aren't capable of comprehending that Mexico City is a megacity with 30 million people and dense city buildings in every direction past the horizon. If they showed them the real mexico city without filters they would walk out of the theater claiming that it's trying to shove sjw lies down their throat.

Sometimes people did the best they could with what they had but still ended up with piss colored shit.

Depends, but your OP's reason then yes its a meme much like how casuals think more megapixels mean the camera is better overall.

>What is a hobby?
>What is practice?
>What is education?

>Russian setting
>director compulsively adds a blue tint

That’s also a extremely heavy contrast increase, reducing the smooth gradients and blowing out both dark and light elements.

Total amateur work. If you’re a fag who prefers this look you can simply crank up the contrast on your TV.

at what point do you expect it to look like the color corrected example here? There's obviously more than just contrast going on here.

imo it's not a surprise that the tech was developed to color correct stuff. Old movies/personal footage etc could benefit from it. Is this stuff usually used in remasters for relatively new movies or something? If so then yeah they're just obscuring the intended color choices here. If the tech is being marketed then it makes sense they'd try to push it, and that people would be attracted to it, but depending on the use I'd agree that it's ruining the art.

imo you have to assume that each choice was intentional. Sometimes choices seem arbitrary and out of taste, but they're nonetheless an aspect of the whole piece. No reason to really modify that if you're just consuming the media.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 2.26.23 AM.png (1819x977, 1.63M)

I don't give a shit what was intended, I prefer left to right and I would watch it like that if I could. I also have a calibrated TV and I prefer my own settings. Anyone who fell for the professionally calibrated meme is a sheep.

>Is it to evoke a certain feeling?
You're conflating color correction with color grading. Color correction is for the most part white point balancing.

The great thing about digital art is that people can change it any way they want and the original remains the same. Think of it like remixing a song. Doesn't mean the original song was bad or needed to be improved, but it's just a different interpretation. Some people like more true to life colors, or find certain color palettes less... (get ready for it...) palatable.

It’s late and I am looking at these images on my iPad with night mode and minimum brightness in bed. In the morning if the thread’s still up I’ll look on my color corrected monitor, but I can already tell that tons of scene detail has been lost.

>shoot a movie
>color correct it
>grade it to give it intended look
>some faggot on youtube "color corrects" your already graded footage

>shoot movie
>make terrible choices for color
>disgusted viewer fixes your film so it looks much better
>seethe anonymously

>>How are you "color correcting" something that was literally released this way on purpose, as intended by the visionary?
A lot of films around 2010 was made with nearly the same palette of washed out colors, like BvS even Solo has this problem (apart from the allover darkness of the film). If this counts as artsy thanks ill colorgrade to restore.

It's not color "corrected", it's just missing the original filter. It's not "corrected", it's "not fucked up"

I don't like the original, but I'd rather watch it that way because I also understand that there's some filter applied to it that is not there anymore with color correction. There is a point to it, it's not accidental. These people don't just record this shit with a phone camera or accidentally drop piss on it.

That said I see nothing wrong with this "visionary" going back on it. I very much respect any change that the original author of a work does to its work, even if it ends up worse.

it's for the same kind of people who listen to bass boosted music on youtube

this "original" had a sepia tint ON PURPOSE

"REEEEEE MEXICO DOESN'T LOOK DIRTY AND BROWN/YELLOW"

>Sometimes choices seem arbitrary and out of taste, but they're nonetheless an aspect of the whole piece. No reason to really modify that if you're just consuming the media
there may be opportunities to improve things, in reality, what the creator says is completely meaningless
pretty much anyone can modify it as they please. should I make an open source analogy or something about modding and texturepacks?

>Why would you color correct it though? Your basically tainting the artists original vision.
>It's like taking a painting, and just painting over it.
Because maybe the artist is a fucking retard and I'm not?

you are, though

based

naw I get it. I'm constantly running music through effects and shit just because I'm a tinkerer, depriving people of that is wrong, but I just think if you're trying to consume somebody's work you may as well get the whole picture

>Doesn't know anything about shooting in 10/12-bit HLG
>Doesn't realise color correction is done even when he doesn't notice
Brainlet.

Attached: 664[1].jpg (558x614, 18K)

Dumb amateurs looking for validation. Not much to see.

Nobody said color correction is bad.. no shit all movies are color corrected and graded, yet they're graded to the artists vision. Not this fucking meme normie youtube shit with blown out blacks and highly saturated colors and bullshit that isn't what the artist intended.

Because sometimes the "visionary" does retarded mistakes. Just take LotR extended edition for example. Well yes, I want everything to look blue/green, thank you so much Jackson.

Attached: lotr theater vs extended.png (1040x422, 386K)

Answer is easy

because it takes place in mexico, you need to add the piss filter. thats all there is to it.

Color correction is just a fucking term for a kind of filter algorithm designed to identify and counteract various image-wide saturations. It doesn't mean that it's "more correct in every sense of the word."

I give 0 fucks about original vision, I only care about what looks better, and left looks better.

left looks like an ad
right looks like a sequel to the king kong movie or a mediocre music video

This. I'm not sure why all the retards ITT fail to understand this. They used a picture from a movie with a sepia filter as a demonstration piece.

Attached: retards.jpg (300x200, 68K)

Attached: 1540368609694.jpg (1019x984, 163K)