/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences. Also: Hot ladies.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Don't dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previously:

Attached: 1514417490756.jpg (1024x1347, 602K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sterling-archermedes.github.io/index.html
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/idx/utilities.html
gutenberg.org/files/19098/19098.txt'
foo.com/bar\nhttp://www.lorem.com/ipsum\nhttp://bar.com/baz\n'
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_commands
crontab.guru/every-night-at-midnight
osboxes.org/raspbian/
wiki.bibanon.org/FoolFuuka
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

RMS did nothing wrong.

LMAO

put Ben Garrison's signature on it and circle that image on twitter.

>Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.
Problematic wording. Yikes.

Check your administrative privilege.

Truth sterling-archermedes.github.io/index.html

Now let's go back to the topic.

For me, it’s Xubuntu

Attached: 833BAAED-B2F9-494C-ABA7-4119A6CD677D.png (424x120, 9K)

Pedo board pedo site

I am trying to keep it POSIX friendly, that is why I was trying to use more instead. No >>> or

List of POSIX utilities: pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/idx/utilities.html

How do I make my computer boot itself up at night, update and then shutdown everyday? I just switched to GNU/Linux so please be gentle.

fuck off tranny

I don't know, but just thought I'd mention that GNU/Linux updates are extremely light and easy compared to windows or mac.
I can see the need for what you're asking on those OSes since they'll literally shut themselves down when you're working and be inoperable during updates. But we don't have that problem.
100% of updates occur while the full OS is running and you can work on whatever you want, and it will NEVER force you to begin an update or to restart (in fact there are GNU/Linux machines that run for years without ever restarting and they still receive full updates).

But anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Attached: updates.png (1446x1786, 869K)

There's no >>>, just

>How do I make my computer boot itself up at night, update and then shutdown everyday?
That sounds like serious overkill, especially if you just switched. Why do you want to update every single day?

vi -c ':r! curl -s gutenberg.org/files/19098/19098.txt'

Quote everything you don't want to get recognized by the shell (such as ! , spaces, wildcards, etc.).

Firefox just hangs and most of Plasma starts acting really weird and glitchy if I apply an update and not restart though.

Security updates. There is always a long list of CVEs attached to every Firefox update. I just want my system to be as secure as possible.

Debian's manual page for more(1) clearly says that skipping backwards doesn't work with pipes

Disconnect it from the internet.

RMS is a true hero.

Linux updates aren't forced because the machines become useless online without them.

They slave you to a repo so you have to update.

That's not normal. I keep hearing about strange behaviors like that with firefox lately, and I myself had some weird stuttering problem on Xorg (so I tried swithing to wayland and it fixed it), and I had video corruption issues caused by an llvm update or something.

I wonder if there's some underlying bug that's popped up recently causing some of this.
But whatever.
Making your machine update automatically at a schedules time is no issue. The difficult part of your question I'm not sure how to answer is how to make the machine wake up at a scheduled time. I know it can be done though because it's possible for it to wake up and put itself into hibernation.

I really don't understand what you're saying.

>I really don't understand what you're saying.
Don't mind him. He's constantly making bait threads about Linux users being slaves to their repositories.

this reposlave guy is kinda schizo
like he doesn't understand what others are saying to him and spouts totally unrelated bullshit to what you've said to him

what makes a good package manager? I've distro hopped a few times now and (besides Portage) I can't really tell the difference.

is "kill" the safe way to stop backround processes, or is that a "brute force" solution?

Is there any relatively easy way to reinstall all the packages I have installed and keeping all the settings and things like that when I reinstall my distro? I'm using Manjaro KDE but want to switch to XFCE and it seems like the only proper way to do it is to completely reinstall the system.

Whenever I've tried doing it before by uninstalling the current DE and installing the new DE there's always some traces of the old DE left that fucks things up and the defaults are all wrong, but it might just be me who doesn't know how to do it.

just learn on how all the package managers work and their design decisions, etc
kill without any options will send SIGTERM which is quite safe, since it signals the process to kill itself in which will give said program a time to save its configurations, doing clean up before quitting, saving bookmarks, history or someshit
kill -9 on the other hand kills the process literally, forcing it to die, like genocide or someshit

try installing other DEs as a separate user. that might help to keep all the components separate

also forgot
kill -9 sends SIGKILL

Sounds like you want rtcwake+some cron jobs.

we need to put him back in the friendly windows containment thread. He's just a windowfag that got lose.

Can i expect systemd going to update and then fuck up all my shit and delete my /home and label it as "NOT A BUG"

Why is this needed?

>100% of updates occur while the full OS is running and you can work on whatever you want, and it will NEVER force you to begin an update or to restart (in fact there are GNU/Linux machines that run for years without ever restarting and they still receive full updates).
How does that happen without killing the processes that belong to updated packages? I’m picturing some pit stop situation but the car doesn’t stop at all, and it doesn’t make sense to me.

So I have a freenas box and a small pihole + transmission box running on a celeron 1007u. The transmission client writes to a share on the freenas server using NFS. Now with qbittorrent I used to get ~40mbyte/s but transmission only gets ~12-15mb/s. How do I start looking for the bottleneck?
HTOP on the debian machine shows ~50% cpu usage when downloading and the freenas volume hardly shows any activity. File transfers between the machines happen at 1gbit/s. Ports have been forwarded and are working normally.

Yes, you have to restart the program to begin using the updated version. But you don't have to. You can just continue using the outdated version of the program that's still loaded into memory.
But when you do restart that's all it is. A restart. The full update has already been applied and there is no intermediate stage where it has to apply updates as your machine is booting up like it does on windows. When you restart it goes as fast as ever and then you're running the new stuff.
Even if you get a new kernel version in the update you still don't have to restart, you can just keep using the old one (and apparently it's even possibly to actually swap to using a new kernel without restarting, but that's mostly for servers I guess).

>You can just continue using the outdated version of the program that's still loaded into memory.
So as long as I don’t restart the process/the entire system, no security patches will be applied, correct?

Just to be clear, by restart I also mean you can just restart individual programs. You don't have to restart the whole machine.
So if I'm running firefox and I do a system update which updates firefox I can keep using the old one during the update as well as after, and when I'm ready to begin using the new version I can just close and re-open firefox if I want.

random question, but when you do updates through the software center, is it probably using the command "sudo apt upgrade"? does it ever use "sudo apt dist-upgrade" on its own?

It actually probably uses dpkg or pkg, apt is just a frontend for dpkg

Set up wakeonlan on the target computer, and have a secondary computer like a pi or other sbc wake it up and do the upgrades and shutdown with a simple cronjob.

Is there a way to take my existing / and throw it in a vm?

>Why is this needed?
just pottering being pottering

>steal gummiboot code
>rebrand it as a boot manager
>its just a efi menu with systemd fucked in to it

Why???

$ sudo tar cpf ~/my-root.tar /
I think is enough, or (even better?) cpio

-c doesn't even work in nvi, I am going to assume it is a bug with it. Thanks for the help, printf will be handy in the future.

I want to try some shit but i dont really have time for downtime so i wanted to copy my existing / and put it in a vm and boot the vm and it be my exsiting /

How would you sort a list of links by domain?

in theory it's possible, but keep in mind I've never tested this
dd if=/dev/zero of=vm.img bs=$((1024 * 1024)) count=$((1024 * 20))
mkfs.ext4 -F vm.img
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/vm
sudo mount -t ext4 vm.img /mnt/vm
sudo rsync -aAXv --progress / /mnt/vm
sudo umount /mnt/vm
qemu-system-x86_64 -m 2G -hda vm.img
modify as needed

What does 'rc' in various config files stand for? Like .bashrc and .vimrc. My guess is "runtime config" but I'm not sure.

printf 'foo.com/bar\nhttp://www.lorem.com/ipsum\nhttp://bar.com/baz\n' | sort -k 3 -t /

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_commands

runcom. It's a historical unix thing.

Are there any programs in Linux that can compile and install programs from source code for you? I searched and didnt find anything, but I'd be surprised if something didnt exist

Ok so I managed to dual boot ubuntu and w10. I go to grub on startup, if i pick w10 everything is fine but if I pick ubuntu the screen goes completely black after I login. What should I do?

make

Cmake?

portage

Thank you!

Running guest additions in Virtualbox for Fedora, can someone break down for me what this line means? Basically it's a prereq otherwise the machine guest additions won't work.

-> sudo dnf install gcc automake make kernel-headers kernel-devel perl dkms elfutils-libelf-devel

Attached: 300px-Priv_rings.svg.png (300x216, 22K)

best answer

to keep track of programs you compile yourself, you can use stow
or write a package so your package manager will handle it

How do I make mate's volume and brightness indicators less infuriating?

I'm not using a 4'' smartphone from 2009, the indicator doesn't have to be a massive block that takes up the middle of the screeen

checking it out and it seems to be what im looking for.

Attached: c.png (544x631, 42K)

only works for cmake based source code
the one which contains CMakeLists.txt file

After you complile and make, you can use checkinstall, which will track all installed files and build a package so it can be cleanly uninstalled with your standard package management tools. (deb, rpm, or slackware).

I have a USB 3.5 inch floppy drive that works nicely as a plug'n'play device. But when I remove the disk (after having clicked on "Safely Remove" in Dolphin) every second or so the drive's LED lights up and it makes some noise. The drive does this too when I plug it in without a floppy disk inside. I guess my Kubuntu checks every second if a disk has been inserted. Is there a way to stop this behaviour?

How do i build nvidia for a custom kernel?

create a cronjob, possibly a root-one

"sudo crontab -e"

and paste
@reboot sleep 30 && sudo apt-get -yqq update && echo "update OK" && sudo apt-get -yqq upgrade && echo "upgrade OK" && sudo apt-get -yqq dist-upgrade && echo "dist-upgrade OK" && sudo apt-get -yqq clean && echo "clean OK" && sudo apt-get -yqq autoremove --purge && echo "autoremove OK" && echo "ALL SUCCESS" && sleep 2 && shutdown -h now

test it before use;
of course it don't boot automatically, alternatelvely let your machine on and change "@reboot" with "0 0 * * *"

crontab.guru/every-night-at-midnight

from the lat one
please help, how can I cp -ur my folders now

Best ways to make Emacs more comfortable to a Vim user? Besides Evil of course.

I didn't know how to set up lvm and encryption using manual option during kubuntu install so I went with guided lvm + encryption

now can I make a separate home partition from that?

I want a nice lightweight distro for torrenting (potentially malicious) shit safely in a vm. Any recommendations?

How do I get my @ and probably some other symbols to work in Linux mint? Is there some other magic buttom combination like alt+ctrl in windows? I tried looking through the menus for different keyboard layouts but nothing works. Help a retard out please

Attached: dasfdgh.jpg (670x578, 34K)

xubuntu or lubuntu

dont worry this isn't windows

What keyboard layout are you using?

And then he wakes up with no DE.

What part of lightweight did you not understand?

Convince me that dbus is not a virus.

Raspian maybe? I use a Raspberry Pi for torrents. Currently used RAM: 193MB / 923MB. (I'm using the Raspian 8.0 jessie.) I never used Raspian in a VM but it's possible to use it in one: osboxes.org/raspbian/

Please, I mean look at this shit, its so fucking big, why did they think this was a good idea?

Attached: Screenshot at 2019-09-22 22-56-35.png (327x337, 38K)

I installed foobar snap and when I open it nothing happens

Attached: 1371690527228.png (242x274, 122K)

Anyone make heads or tails of this shit?
wiki.bibanon.org/FoolFuuka
I've gotten everything cloned to the /srv folder and poitned nginx to it but literally nothing works and the next step is "launch the admin control panel and set it up - its not hard"
Well /admin dosent fucking load anything and nothing else in the myriad of plugins and folders has any such admin panel

none of your business idiot

How is HaikuOS?
How does it compare to Manjaro/Debian?

How to run an appimage program offline? I use sudo unshare -n sudo -u me program to run programs offline, but appimage programs don't work with that command.

Attached: blues clues.jpg (967x1200, 79K)

It's kind of an important factor. But for most layouts, Right Alt (AltGr) should get you to the third level. Of course, some layouts, like the basic US one, don't have a third level.

Anyone?

Is VMware good?

qemu-kvm is

Firefox ui is atrociously slow on 69
Same exact environemtn as with 68 but the gui slows to a crawl when scrolling or when creating a new tab and entering a new website in the new tab, such as middle clicking a link.
Why and how do i fix this?

>roll back to 68
>hope 70 fixes it
>???
>prophet

Thank you!

Is there a good [spoiler] torrent for the newest VMware Workstation [/spoiler] anywhere?

>spoiler doesn’t work in Jow Forums

That’s dumb

There is a "everything is a file" development style (which I personally think is great, and we could use more of it today).
So directories are kind of treated as files too, and you can think of them as a simple listing of the directories contents. The directory doesn't count as having been changed unless that listing changes.

Perhaps a more concrete example would be what happens if you hardlink files in 100 different directories and then you update that file. Is it supposed to go and change the timestamps on 100 different parent directories?

How do i theme qt applications without having kde installed(openbox)?

Try a new profile. It Works On My Machine though.